Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "The Expendables II"

Default Re: "The Expendables II"

Quote Originally Posted by Bayhem View Post
    In my view, when it comes to the action genre you can't get any bigger than these guys. De Niro is a star, no doubt about it, but he's certainly not an action star. And this movie is all about "action stars". The way I see it, Van Damme is perfect for the bad guy and judging by the trailers I think he'll deliver a pretty good villainous performance (I certainly hope so).

Well, that's what people want to see in an "Expendables" movie, right? Action stars working together against the bad guys. I mean, what else can Sly and company do?

Sit in a small room and talk about the Kardashians?
    I dunno, I think the best action movies have an actor with strong gravitas as the antagonist. Alan Rickman in Die Hard, Nicholson in The Departed, Hopper in Speed, Harris in The Rock, Ledger in The Dark Knight, etc. You know the good guy is going to win, but with a strong actor as the villain you have more interest in seeing how that will happen. My point was if they have an all star cast as protagonists working together (as opposed to say casting Willis and Arnold as the bad guys vs. Stallone, Norris, Statham, and Li) then they ought to have a compelling lead villain to offset that lopsided scale. Maybe Van Damme fits the bill, we'll see.

Stallone has said he's canceling his publicity tour for the movie next month due to his bereavement. His movies for next year are already wrapped, so the question is if he's going to proceed with his new boxing movie Grudge Match which would be co-starring none other than Robert Deniro.

Mind: California. Body: Between US & Europe.

Not bad, not bad at all (clearly Grindhouse-inspired) :

VD Poster.jpg
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

Saw it. It was OK. Better than the first one, but nowhere near as exciting as the trailer looks. And understand that Norris, Arnold, Willis, etc. get about 5 minutes of screen time and appear mostly in one major action sequence. So this is again glorified cameos.

Saw it.

And as far as I'm concerned, it's way better than the first one. The action is more intense and Van Damme, Arnie and Norris are clearly having fun with their characters. People make jokes about these "old guys" but I admire the fact that they're still able to shine on the screen and kick some butt.

And God knows these days I'm all for some good old-school action. Too much CGI, superheroes and vampires. Hopefully they'll make a third "Expendables" movie.
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

Saw it.

And as far as I'm concerned, it's way better than the first one. The action is more intense and Van Damme, Arnie and Norris are clearly having fun with their characters. People make jokes about these "old guys" but I admire the fact that they're still able to shine on the screen and kick some butt.

And God knows these days I'm all for some good old-school action. Too much CGI, superheroes and vampires. Hopefully they'll make a third "Expendables" movie.
    Well, you just might get what you wish for! The Expendables 3 is already at the works and Nick Cage has already been signed to the project and Simon West is not happy having only young guys in the movies. He wants some older guys in the third one!!
    He wants Clint Eastwood and Harrison Ford and he's hoping to get Sean Connery!!! out of retirement!! :lmao
    Then there's talks about making a spinnoff with a female cast with Linda Hamilton, Sigourney Weaver, Uma Thurman and Milla Jovovich!
    Check out the links to the stories below!

http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/cl...for-the/279728

http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/fe...e-works/280896

Is this movie worth watching? Or is it mediocre?
    "I BELIEVE WHATEVER DOESN'T KILL YOU, SIMPLY MAKES YOU.....STRANGER."

Quote Originally Posted by swishbig View Post
    Is this movie worth watching? Or is it mediocre?
    I saw it last night and think it's definitely worth watching if you like action movies and in this case action movies that are made with a glimpse in the eye when you think how over killed unreal the action is. Then there's of course the fact that now Arnie, Norris, Van Damme and Willis has joined the fighting, and even if their screen time is only a couple of minutes, they make fun of their and each others characters from the past and deliver one or two oneliners in the movie. In my opinion, it's better than the first one and if you happen to know the real background of Dolph Lundgren and what he has studied in school when he was young, then you'll get the jokes of his character as well.
    The only down side that I have with the movie, is that Jet Li is replaced with a Chinese female character pretty fast in the movie. I would have like to see more of the squabbles between Lundgren and Li like in the first movie, but all and all, if you liked the first one, then you are gonna like this one as well.
    I have thought of how to rate it, and decided to give it a strong 3 out of 5 points.

Saw it.

And you glad this movie wasn't dumbed down for a PG-13 rating? the first one is an established R-rated action movie and audiences now are getting smart to attack PG-13ing of adult R-rated franchises like when Prometheus and this movie were threatened with a PG-13 rating, audiences and fans of franchises rejected it and boycotted it on facebook, youtube, the internet and emailed the studios to get the movie to be rated R and i'm glad they went back to R and both were successful at the box-office proving to the studios there IS an audience for r-rated action movies and that the PG-13 rated Total Recall remake flopped.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    And you glad this movie wasn't dumbed down for a PG-13 rating? the first one is an established R-rated action movie and audiences now are getting smart to attack PG-13ing of adult R-rated franchises like when Prometheus and this movie were threatened with a PG-13 rating, audiences and fans of franchises rejected it and boycotted it on facebook, youtube, the internet and emailed the studios to get the movie to be rated R and i'm glad they went back to R and both were successful at the box-office proving to the studios there IS an audience for r-rated action movies and that the PG-13 rated Total Recall remake flopped.
    What the hell is with your obsession with the ratings all of the sudden? I only care about the director's vision not being meddled with, whether or not it's for a certain rating to begin with. Ridley Scott was not shooting for any rating whatsoever. Prometheus just happened to get rated R. (That didn't stop the characters in it from being so f**king stupid, however.)

You can totally have cases where the studio tries to force an R rating on a movie by adding unnecessary violence/language/sex. (Snakes on a Plane, anyone?) That kind of meddling is just as bad as cutting down a movie to get an PG-13 rating.

So yeah, I only care about what the director intended. I'm not gonna let a rating be the determining factor of whether or not I like said movie.

I'm saying there is plenty of enjoyable excellent PG-13 action movies from Transformers, Skyfall, Dark Knight Trilogy, Avengers with Marvel movies or whatever, but for Christsake Hollywood don't neuter down already established adult R-rated franchises down to family friendly PG-13 and thus leave them the way they are as originally intended. I mean face it, AVP 1 and Robocop 3 sucked because of this, Terminator 4 was enjoyable in it's R-rated cut but i didn't pay a dime to see the PG-13 theatrical version in theaters as i had to wait for the R-rated cut on blu-ray. I even had to wait for the unrated cut of Total Recall remake on blu-ray and it is an improvement as IT should had been the cut that saw it in theaters instead of what we saw. Alien and Predator both went back to the R-rated formula with Predators and Prometheus as both were successful and what fine comebacks they were.

I hope Die Hard 5 goes back to the R-rated formula as nature intended as part 4 was decent as it's own movie but bad as a DH movie as i didn't pay a dime to see the theatrical version of DH 4 in theaters but had to wait for the unrated cut. Write to Fox at Foxmovies@fox.com and on their facebook page nice and polite to tell them that it needs an R-rating and that they can understand that DH has fans who care for the R-rated trilogy wants Fox to go back to the R-rated formula. It worked with Expandables 2 and Prometheus as both had adult audiences including hardcore fans who care about the franchises and

Snakes on a Plane was never meant to be taken seriously as it was just b-movie fun as it was an enjoyable horror action film that was MEANT to be R, Die Hard Trilogy was always MEANT to be R and so does the Alien, Predator and Terminator with Expandables.

Saw it again on Blu-Ray. Still awesome

On the topic of ratings, while this movie is better for the lack of CGI blood than the first one, I personally find that the rating doesn't matter much - after seeing it in cinemas, I thought Die Hard 4.0 was the best one since the original, and that in terms of story, the first Alien vs. Predator was actually pretty good (I'll agree that something went wrong in the execution, but it wasn't the lack of gore, in my opinion). I got the impression that AvP: Requiem was violent for the sake of being violent, which meant that I found it a lot less enjoyable - it's my least favourite movie in both franchises - and in my opinion, Predators and Prometheus were good because they had interesting stories, not because they were more gory.

In a nutshell, I'm inclined to agree with Trailbreaker - in most instances, the rating isn't a make-or-break issue for me.

DH 4 is considered the black sheep of the franchise and i agree with that, personally part 3 was a helluvalot better as was part 2. PG-13 was NOT necessary to Dh as John McClane is a cigaratte smoking, drinking foul-mouthed officer who is in the wrong place at the wrong time. DH 4 was enjoyable as it's own movie but didn't felt like a DH movie like the first 3, DH 5 is finally back to R-rated basics and we'll finally hear his catchphrase again. Oh man i wanna shake the hands of the fox executives and give their attractive female workers a kiss on the cheek for bringing DH back to the R-rated formula as nature intended as they listened to their fans and the boycott is over.

Expandables 2 was fantastic i agree and i think we should see Samuel L Jackson, Vin Diesel, Treat Williams, Chow Yun Fat and Mr. T in part 3.

Not good for Sly and the producers. "EX3" has somehow been leaked online. Weeks before the premiere.

- http://variety.com/2014/digital/news...rs-1201268947/

How did Victor Ortiz land a job in Hollywood?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    How did Victor Ortiz land a job in Hollywood?!?

For this particular movie he was handpicked by Stallone himself. Same with Ronda Rousey and Kellan Lutz.

For this particular movie he was handpicked by Stallone himself. Same with Ronda Rousey and Kellan Lutz.
    Oh yeah, forgot that Stallone was a big box fan. I hope we see some pure boxing action scenes with Victor Ortiz (absolutely no kicks, just pure boxing discipline). It would be a very interesting and challenging scene to create where say you're pitting a pure boxer against a mixed martial artist.
    Whereas the mixed martial artist has the advantage of utilizing his arms and legs, the pure boxer has the advantage of punching speed.

Default Re: "Ex-Baghdad"

Deadline May 11, 2017:
    Jackie Chan, Sylvester Stallone Team For Scott Waugh-Directed ‘Ex-Baghdad’
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Fleming Jr
    EXCLUSIVE: Jackie Chan and Sylvester Stallone are teamed to star in Ex-Baghdad, a timely action thriller that Scott Waugh has been set to direct. It is an $80 million budget action film that becomes one of the biggest budget films to come out of China. Chan will serve as a producer through his company SR Media, with Qi Jianhong and Talent International’s Esmond Ren. SR Media and Talent International will also finance the film. Hans Canosa is also producing.

The film is a two-hander that matches up global action stars Chan and Stallone for the first time. When Stallone decided not to continue with The Expendables, this was the film he looked forward to doing instead.

When a China-run oil refinery is attacked in Mosul, Iraq, a Chinese private security contractor (Chan) is called in to extract the oil workers. He learns, however, that the attackers’ real plan is to steal a fortune in oil, and teams up with an American former Marine (Stallone) to stop them. The script is by Arash Amel. CAA reps Chan and Amel, WME Stallone and UTA reps Waugh, who helmed 6 Below, Act Of Valor and Need For Speed.