Thread: Blu-Ray Sucking Up Your Money?

Talking Blu-Ray Sucking Up Your Money?

You know up until I read these articles I really didn't care which format won. I just wanted one format.

Now after reading these I'm kinda rooting for HD-DVD since Blu-Ray (unless you own a PS3) wants to suck money out of people by making them buy multiple players.

Blu-Ray Profile 1.1 Makes Existing Players Obsolete

And evidently everyone that bought one of those early players knew they were getting screwed and gladly payed out that money knowing they were going to have to pay more money later for an up to date player.

Blu-Ray: Early Adopter Knew What They Were Getting Into

So early adoptors, did you really know you were going to have to spend more money? Are you glad you got suckered for more money? It's too late now you've made your investment, might as well throw more money down the drain. Buy your Profile 1.1 players now and then next year you can buy your 2.0 Profile player.

If you all want to throw more money away let me know. You can send it to me and I can use it to pay bills.
    "I reject your reality & substitute it with my own." - Adam Savage, Host, Mythbusters

"Living in Seattle is like being in love with a beautiful woman, who's always sick." - G.M. Ford

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    - Dr. Seuss

Default Re: Blu-Ray Sucking Up Your Money?

lol u dont follow news very well do u

Something I'm missing?
    "I reject your reality & substitute it with my own." - Adam Savage, Host, Mythbusters

"Living in Seattle is like being in love with a beautiful woman, who's always sick." - G.M. Ford

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    - Dr. Seuss

Moderator / formerly "Gunrock" The Great's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Moon View Post
    Something I'm missing?
    hd is over!

So I'm suppose to buy a Blu-Ray player now? Then when they get their act together buy another? Then in a year when they have a new firmware buy another?

I bet you didn't even read the articles I linked.

How about I save my money until someone actually puts out something decent. I'm not gonna play the "buy each version we feed you" game.

Ya'll must be rich and have money to throw away. Like I said instead of throwing it away you just send it to me, I got bills to pay and can use the extra money.

- Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by The Great View Post
    hd is over!
    I wouldn't put it by Toshiba to pull something new in the next few months.

I noticed on my HD DVD player there's an expansion port. Not a USB port, but it says in the manual it's "for future uses."

Hmm.....
    I'm a dog chasing cars. I don't know what I'd do if I caught one. I don't have plans. I just do things. I'm not a schemer.

I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you can't savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments.

I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger.

So I'm suppose to buy a Blu-Ray player now? Then when they get their act together buy another? Then in a year when they have a new firmware buy another?

I bet you didn't even read the articles I linked.

How about I save my money until someone actually puts out something decent. I'm not gonna play the "buy each version we feed you" game.

Ya'll must be rich and have money to throw away. Like I said instead of throwing it away you just send it to me, I got bills to pay and can use the extra money.
    I don't really give a damn what you do. if you don't want to support it don't. I am not buying a blu ray until they go down in price mo0re. you need to get a grip the software will get cheaper and so will the movies. it's not like this is some new medium just look at history. getting upset about this when prior history shows prices will go down is just idiotic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee1983 View Post
    I wouldn't put it by Toshiba to pull something new in the next few months.

I noticed on my HD DVD player there's an expansion port. Not a USB port, but it says in the manual it's "for future uses."

Hmm.....
    It's dead once filmmakers get behind a certain medium it doesn't matter what they do unless they come out with something better than blu ray.

It's dead once filmmakers get behind a certain medium it doesn't matter what they do unless they come out with something better than blu ray.
    Yeah...I see your point there, but I was just commenting on the little port I found on the front of my HD DVD player.

Who knows what the future holds.
    I'm a dog chasing cars. I don't know what I'd do if I caught one. I don't have plans. I just do things. I'm not a schemer.

I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you can't savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments.

I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger.

I don't really give a damn what you do. if you don't want to support it don't. I am not buying a blu ray until they go down in price mo0re. you need to get a grip the software will get cheaper and so will the movies. it's not like this is some new medium just look at history. getting upset about this when prior history shows prices will go down is just idiotic.
    Oh I understand the price will go down. You missed the point, since you didn't read the articles I'll break it down for you.

My point is that the firmware (unless you bought a PS3) is locked. Anyone that bought a 1.0 version can only watch Blu-Ray movies. Those that buy the 1.1 version can enjoy the PIP that HD-DVD users have had since the beginning. And when they finally come out with the Blu-Ray 2.0 you might actually have an upgradeable firmware via the internet, no guarantees.

No to me right now Blu-Ray adopters are getting taken for a ride because Blu-Ray was rushed to the market before it was ready.

Sorry I'm not getting burned over something like this again. The PS2 was supposed to be a game player and a DVD player. Sadly it only plays some DVDs. I had to buy a separate DVD player to watch all my DVDs, more money out of my pocket.

If Blu-Ray wins great, I just hope I don't have to buy a new player every couple years just so I can watch all of the special features. Right now that's Blu-Ray's track record and to me that does not bode well.

- Dr. Seuss

Oh I understand the price will go down. You missed the point, since you didn't read the articles I'll break it down for you.

My point is that the firmware (unless you bought a PS3) is locked. Anyone that bought a 1.0 version can only watch Blu-Ray movies. Those that buy the 1.1 version can enjoy the PIP that HD-DVD users have had since the beginning. And when they finally come out with the Blu-Ray 2.0 you might actually have an upgradeable firmware via the internet, no guarantees.

No to me right now Blu-Ray adopters are getting taken for a ride because Blu-Ray was rushed to the market before it was ready.

Sorry I'm not getting burned over something like this again. The PS2 was supposed to be a game player and a DVD player. Sadly it only plays some DVDs. I had to buy a separate DVD player to watch all my DVDs, more money out of my pocket.

If Blu-Ray wins great, I just hope I don't have to buy a new player every couple years just so I can watch all of the special features. Right now that's Blu-Ray's track record and to me that does not bode well.
    your main issue comes down to having to go out and buy something else because the 1st gen stuff might not work. well then the solution would be to wait until the 2nd gen stuff comes out. Who buys electronics anyway when they first come out? I never bought any consoles until after the first price drop.

Seriously if you have been burned by rushing out to buy something why not just wait until the second gen stuff?

your main issue comes down to having to go out and buy something else because the 1st gen stuff might not work. well then the solution would be to wait until the 2nd gen stuff comes out. Who buys electronics anyway when they first come out? I never bought any consoles until after the first price drop.

Seriously if you have been burned by rushing out to buy something why not just wait until the second gen stuff?
    I'm going to have to agree with the great. history shows that a lot of major electronics have problems on their first run. So you should wait for the second run or even third. history has also shown that early adopters are the guys who help get the problems ironed out. History also shows that there will ALWAYS be early adopters. Or you can make an informed buying purchase and buy a PS3. There is a solution to your problem. Quit bitching.

In this case it isn't as easy as waiting for 2nd gen. We're talking 3rd IF they get their act together.

And the PS2 was 2nd gen. It came out after DVD's were established.

That is why I'm waiting now. To see which will be the winner. Right now it seems to be the unreliable side that's winning, which kinda scares me. If they come out with a final standard and stick with it fine, I'll whole heartily support it, but if they are gonna play around then why support them?

- Dr. Seuss

In this case it isn't as easy as waiting for 2nd gen. We're talking 3rd IF they get their act together.

And the PS2 was 2nd gen. It came out after DVD's were established.

That is why I'm waiting now. To see which will be the winner. Right now it seems to be the unreliable side that's winning, which kinda scares me. If they come out with a final standard and stick with it fine, I'll whole heartily support it, but if they are gonna play around then why support them?
    exactly that's why you don't buy a damn thing until you absolutely have to and are sure about what kind of product your getting.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Moon
    So early adoptors, did you really know you were going to have to spend more money? Are you glad you got suckered for more money? It's too late now you've made your investment, might as well throw more money down the drain. Buy your Profile 1.1 players now and then next year you can buy your 2.0 Profile player.
    The multiple profiles are Blu-Ray's biggest gaffe. But you gotta do you're homework before you buy new tech. It's why I got a PS3 (among other reasons).

So why are they playing around going from 1.0 to 1.1 to 2.0?

Don't screw around do it right. 1.0 to 2.0 No problems, fewer unhappy consumers. While I understand they are companies that need to make money going from 1.0 to 1.1 to 2.0 to me is just padding their pockets and yanking people around needlessly.

It's not really that hard. They have the standard already, it's built into the PS3, because it is fully upgradeable to each firmware standard. In each of those articles the PS3 is the exception. Yet they want to play around with the stand alone players.

Who's to say they don't do this over the lifetime of the product? Apple is making a killing out of it with their iPods. Want the newest functionality? Buy the newest iPod. Oh we could just upgrade the firmware, but won't we make more money if you buy a new system.

- Dr. Seuss

This thread title might as well be: everything is sucking up your money.

What company doesn't employ tactics that ensure "the comeback" purchase. From cars to clothes.

The best thing to do is to be an informed consumer, combined with a little patience (read: if being an early adopter, fiscally, isn't in the cards for someone), then you won't feel as duped with your hard earned cheddar.

See I understand some of them. Cars wear out etc.

This right now justs look like unnecessary dicking around.

Like I said if they get a final standard great. But it sorta looks like they do have it in the PS3 and are playing around with everyone else.

- Dr. Seuss

See I understand some of them. Cars wear out etc.

This right now justs look like unnecessary dicking around.

Like I said if they get a final standard great. But it sorta looks like they do have it in the PS3 and are playing around with everyone else.
    why not just get a ps3 then?

FFS do we really need another thread about hd shit?

why not just get a ps3 then?
    I don't have $700. Don't get me started on the $400 POS they put out.

Again it's the great wait for things to become affordable.

FFS do we really need another thread about hd shit?
    Did I say "buy hd?" Did I say they are better, no. I said at the beginning I don't care who wins I want just one format. But hey if you can't be bothered to read everything, then whatever.

The only thing I can say about HD-DVD is they seem to have their ducks in order.

- Dr. Seuss

you do know a lot of blu ray players are capable of firmware updates right?

so you think any of the new 1.1 and 2.0 features will be interesting?
    - PiP : watch the movie with commentary and some images popping in : right, everibody will want to ruin the movie with this!
    - BD live : now you can go to the internet, see trailers, chat with people, and others ... and not watch the movie or special features at all ... another must have that will increase the movie viewing experience!

all these "new things" are for me 1000% useless, I just want to watch the movie and see deleted scenes or featurettes

not being 1.1 or 2.0 compliant won't prevent you from doing that, and I'm quite sure many players can update the firmware to do it (of course the HD DVD fanboys managed to spread some anti-Blu-ray bull**** again so fast everyone believes it)