Thread: Star Trek sequel

Unhappy Star Trek sequel

Well I found out they don't expect to start production until next January 2012 ,so as far as the movie coming out that summer...not likely,maybe the next summer or Christmas time.

http://blastr.com/2011/07/forget-next-summer-star-t.php

Default Re: Star Trek sequel

Sonofabitch!

Well, that's one more movie I'm scratching of my list for next summer.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."
    -John Wayne (The Shootist)

I hope M'ress (the sexy Kaitlain girl) and Arrex from the animated show are in the sequel

Open the champagne Star Trek fans! J. J. Abrams is officially confirmed. Filming starts this winter.

http://collider.com/jj-abrams-star-trek-2/114706/

Wow, this movie is going to have a lot to live up to. First one was fantastic!

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-trek-2...reshadow-film/

Now that J.J. Abrams is officially on board and we’ve given up seeing the film next Summer, we can all settle in and watch Star Trek 2 get made the right way. The latest update comes from one of the film’s screenwriters, Roberto Orci, who also happens to be the creative director on a new set of comic books set in the world created by the original 2009 film. Speaking about those, Orci revealed location scouting is underway on the film and said the comic books would begin give fans hints about the movie.

TrekMovie points us to the interview on the official Star Trek webpage. Here’s Orci’s brief quote on the movie specifically:

The cast is excited. We have a director. We’ve started scouting locations. The second time around the crew is already together from the start, so we can jump right into the adventure.As for the comic books, they’re being published by IDW and – if you are a fan of the new Star Trek movie – it sounds like they are going to be pretty great. I won’t get too detailed here, but the article on the official Trek site talks about how these comics will re-imagine classic episodes of the TV show with these new versions of the characters. Pretty cool stuff. Then there’s this quote from one of the comic’s writers, Mike Johnson:
    As we get closer to the next movie, the stories will begin to foreshadow the events of the movie, such as possibly introducing new characters we will see onscreen… pun very much intended.
    He also suggested the development of the comics is happening congruently with the film:

It’s fantastic to have Bob’s input, because he can steer us clear of story elements that might conflict with what’s coming up in the next movie, and we can lay in subtle clues to what’s coming up so that once you see the newmovie you can go back and see how it evolved in the comics….Bob and I have discussed the major beats of the next movie, which is a great help in laying clues in the comic. We have very few secrets, that I know of anyway.

For those who don't know who M'ress and Arrex are, they are from the 1973-1974 animated Filmation series.

Here's what they look like:
    http://mimg.ugo.com/200901/14973/cuts/mress_288x288.jpg
    http://images.wikia.com/memoryalpha/.../b/be/Arex.jpg

These two would be perfect for the sequel. Doug Jones can play Arrex and Selma Blair can play M'ress, with today's technology they can be brought to life and they need to be in a ST movie.

Default Re: JJ's Star Trek sequel

VULTURE EXCLUSIVE:
    Benicio Del Toro Won’t Make Star Trek Sequel
    Quote Originally Posted by Claude Brodesser-Akner and Kyle Buchanan
    The sequel to the successful reboot of Star Trek has been a long-in-development priority for Paramount and director J.J. Abrams, and the Enterprise is currently scheduled to lift off again this January, when shooting on the untitled next installment will begin. Sadly, there's one high-profile star whom Abrams didn't manage to beam up: Benicio Del Toro, who entered into talks last month to play the sequel's new villain. Insiders tell Vulture that the deal actually went asunder last Wednesday after parties couldn't come to terms over monetary issues.

Abrams will now have to move quickly to fill the role, but which villain from Star Trek lore has he made the focal point of the new film? When Del Toro's name was first linked to the project, speculation ran rampant that he might play Khan, immortalized once before on the big screen by Ricardo Montalban in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. On Friday, the site Latino Review claimed to have confirmed that choice of villain, though Abrams promptly replied to Hitfix that the report was "not true." Still, the famously secretive director was probably trying to keep the cat in the interstellar bag for a little while longer, as Vulture hears from a highly placed source that Khan is indeed the film's baddie. Perhaps Abrams was taking his cues from Man of Steel director Zack Snyder, who strongly denied to the press last year that General Zod would be the villain in his Superman reboot ... then cast Michael Shannon as Zod a few months later.

If he's in it, I couldn't be happier. Though I imagine some fans will again Bitch and Moan that "They're remakeing Star Trek 2!" No, they're redoing Space Seed, or maybe the sequal is based on Space Seed.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."

http://blastr.com/2011/12/jj-abrams-star-trek-seque.php

The latest actor to join Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto and Simon Pegg for another adventure on the Starship Enterprise is science-fiction veteran Peter Weller. But who will the once and future Buckaroo Banzai play?

Star Trek 2: Totally Not the Wrath of Khan
    has already lined up Alice Eve and set its sights on Benicio del Toro, but the notoriously secretive Abrams is keeping who those actors will play under wraps. Same goes for Weller, who's been keeping himself busy appearing on Dexter and Fringe, when he's not off being a history professor.
    Some seem to think that Weller, who's got some experience with human-cyborg relations, might be playing some version of the Borg. Me, I'm putting my money on Commodore Matthew Decker, the cracked commander who did battle with an implacable interstellar menace in the classic Trek episode "The Doomsday Machine."

Default Re: Star Trek Sequel

Star Trek 3: Roberto Orci on the Possibility of Bringing in the Larger Canon and Taking over for J.J. Abrams
    "If the best idea is when, suddenly, it seems like the best thing ever to do, is to have the Andorians running around, doing something cool, that's what it'll be."

Default Edgar Wright's Star Trek 3?

'Star Trek 3' Loses Its Director
    Reasons for Roberto Orci's departure were not immediately revealed

Roberto Orci Beaming Off ‘Star Trek’ As Director
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Fleming Jr
    EXCLUSIVE:
    Roberto Orci is beaming off the bridge of the Starship Enterprise on Star Trek 3. Rampant rumors are swirling and I’ve confirmed there is fire behind the smoke that he won’t be directing. I even hear that Edgar Wright and others are on a short list to take the job. Orci stays on the project as producer, I’ve heard.

Default Re: Edgar Wright's Star Trek 3?

STAR TREK 3 May Be Saved As Orci Exits
    Could it have been an inside job that felled Bob Orci?
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin Faraci
    I don't know what God needs with a starship, but if it's to take Bob Orci off directing duties on Star Trek 3 he can have mine.

[UPDATE: I've been in touch with some folks and it seems like the script was one of the problem factors. Paramount shut the production down last month, sending home all the design people while they battled over the direction of the screenplay. I imagine all this stuff is gone now]

It doesn't bother me that he's out of the director's chair as I thought his Into Darkness script rehashed Wrath of Kahn. It was like he was stuck on how to end the film and watched the DVD for inspiration. Speaking of Wrath of Kahn, Why hasn't anybody in Paramount/CBS considered giving the directors chair to Nicholas Meyer? He would be perfect to direct the Third Trek film.

STAR TREK 3 May Be Saved As Orci Exits
    Could it have been an inside job that felled Bob Orci?
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin Faraci
    I had made my peace with Orci directing, and now I'm standing here filled with so much hope. The question is whether or not the work that has been done until now will stay; my sources tell me that the script Orci was working on saw the Enterprise, the Vulcans and a new alien race competing to get a time travel device. The Vulcans want to go back and stop the destruction of their planet, and the time travel schtick is what would allow Chris Pine and William Shatner to share the screen. Is that still going to be the plot of the movie - a MacGuffin that could wipe out the previous two films?

Default Michael Bay's Star Trek 3?

Why Are Some Franchises So Content With Retelling The Same Story?
    Quote Originally Posted by James Whitbrook
    It's a growing trend with franchises these days - especially long running ones - to mine stories they've done before for the nostalgia element, but at some point it stops tickling those fanboy fuzzies and starts looking like creators are running out of ideas for what they want to do with these universes. Was Into Darkness' rehash of Wrath of Khan really necessary, for example? Considering the Star Trek reboot is meant to be in an alternate universe, it's all the weirder for past stories like that to crop up again, but even more of a shock that we went from rebooting the property with a new story (albeit with familiar-ish characters) to rehashing an old story in the very next sequel. The same for superhero movies, where we get the origin, reboot the property, and then tell the origin again - looking at you, Spider-Man - or we get so many origins that it's less the familiarity of the story that begins to tire us, but the structure. I mean, how many people have you heard lamenting Origin stories lately?

One of the biggest benefits of these long running and massively-scoped franchises is that they can tell so many different stories that are still yet intrinsically part of them. Westeros is big enough a place that the Forresters didn't have to be an almost carbon-copy of the Starks. Star Trek is certainly filled with enough big ideas that JJ Abrams didn't need to return to the well of the original Trek films so soon. Hell, even Doctor Who, which has certainly run a gamut of familiar stories throughout its 50 years, it's also tried to reinvent itself and try new stories and genres all the time, too. These franchises only got to be the behemoths they are by creating new stories all the time, by expanding upon itself instead of just feeding off of what's gone before in the search for a hit of familiarity. Without telling new stories, they'll become stagnant, and we'll slowly lose sight of what made us love them so much in the first place too.

How the Battle Over ‘Star Trek’ Rights Killed J.J. Abrams’ Grand Ambitions
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Lang
    A major stumbling block: "Star Trek's" licensing and merchandising rights are spread over two media conglomerates with competing goals. The rights to the original television series from the 1960s remained with CBS after it split off from Paramount's corporate parent Viacom in 2006, while the studio retained the rights to the film series. CBS also held onto the ability to create future “Star Trek” TV shows.

Paramount must license the “Star Trek” characters from CBS Consumer Products for film merchandising.

Roberto Orci beams out of the director's chair for 'Star Trek 3'
    Whatever the case, this must have Paramount worried because the clock is ticking if they still plan to make that 50th anniversary release date.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moriarty
    This next "Star Trek" is important since it's coming out on the 50th anniversary of the series being created. It also feels like Paramount's got to make a choice about how the series moves forward. I love the 2009 "Trek," and I thought the second film still had a great energy even though there were some big script issues. The cast is in place, though, and it feels like the right filmmaker with the right script could still turn this into an even bigger series than it already is.

According to Devin Faraci, script issues may be behind Orci's sudden change in status on the film, and I'll be curious to see if they also bring in new writers as they find a director, or if they'll hire someone who can do both.

Whatever the case, this must have Paramount worried because the clock is ticking if they still plan to make that 50th anniversary release date.

Make Mine Marvel!

Default Star Trek 3: Tokyo Drift

Star Trek 3’s New Director Will Be ‘Fast & Furious 6′ Helmer Justin Lin

Star Trek 3: Tokyo Drift will be released July 8, 2016

Roberto Orci Confirms He Will NOT Write Star Trek 3: Tokyo Drift
    Roberto Orci, the man who co-wrote the first two Star Trek films in J.J. Abrams' alternate universe, left a comment at trekmovie.com to clarify he is NOT writing the script for Justin Lin's Star Trek 3: Tokyo Drift.

Sounds interesting with Lin as director

Default Re: Star Trek: The Eugenics Wars?

AICN : June 3, 2017
    Is Nicholas Meyer Writing Another STAR TREK Movie??
    Quote Originally Posted by Hercules!!

Nicholas Meyer, who wrote and/or directed “Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan,” “Star Trek: The Voyage Home” and “Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country,” came out of Star Trek retirement last year to write for CBS’ new streaming hourlong series “Star Trek Discovery.”

But did you know Meyer is ginning up another Star Trek project that has nothing to do with the CBS series?

“One thing that has nothing to do with ‘Discovery’ is that I am working on another Star Trek project, but I can’t discuss that either,” Meyer told TrekMovie.com while discussing the 35th anniversary of Khan this week.

Has Meyer taken over scripting the fourth Pine/Quinto Star Trek movie? Another Trek movie entirely? Is he developing a second new Star Trek TV series? (Or is he just being interviewed for a Trek documentary, or consulting on a Trek video game?)

Meyer doesn’t offer a lot more:
    TrekMovie: Are we talking more feature film because as far as I know, there is only one television project, I assume.
    Meyer: You can assume.

Set a decade before the Kirk-Spock mission depicted in the 1960s “Star Trek” series, “Star Trek: Discovery” is expected to launch in August or September.

Find all of TrekMovie’s story on the matter here.

AICN : June 7, 2017
    EXCLUSIVE!! New Clues Emerge Regarding WRATH OF KHAN Director Nicholas Meyer’s Mysterious New STAR TREK Project!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hercules!!

Writer-director Nicholas Meyer’s mysterious new post-“Discovery” Star Trek project is NOT a rewrite of Chris Hemsworth’s untitled upcoming Quinto/Pine Star Trek movie, Ain’t It Cool News has learned.

And while there’s zero OFFICIAL word on what Meyer IS working on, Meyer is understood to be involved with his new Star Trek project as a writer and producer (and maybe even director (!), if the project goes forward).

Meyer's mysterious Trek project is "not a book or documentary and it’s not a video game,” one source with knowledge of the situation assures AICN.

So many other new and compelling Trek rumors are suddenly swirling about as well!

Wouldn’t it be WILD if Star Trek suddenly turned into Paramount/CBS’ version of Disney's Star Wars, with loads of Trek projects suddenly in production simultaneously or in rapid succession? (Remember back to 1995, when “First Contact,” “Deep Space Nine” and “Voyager” were all before cameras at once.)

Wouldn’t it be WILD if these Star Trek projects were set at different points in Federation history, some even far subsequent to Admiral Janeway’s subspace conversation with Captain Picard in “Star Trek: Nemesis”? (I know similar rumors have been brewing for years, but lately I’m hearing … new tales.)

And! You know how "Empire Strikes Back" screenwriter Lawrence Kasdan unexpectedly ended decades of Star Wars retirement to start writing new Han Solo movies? Wouldn’t it be WILD if Meyer -- the (ghost)writer and director of “Star Trek II” who had a big hand in scripting the earliest episodes of CBS’ fast-approaching “Star Trek Discovery” -- suddenly dipped back into the world of Khan Noonien Singh?

Stay. Tuned.