Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Visual Effects of DOTM!

Default Re: The Visual Effects of DOTM!

Apes is cool but seriously? Avatar did the same motion visual effects and the wow factor in DOTM is bigger. Of course apes will win though because the academy is bias and favors WETA more
    "I BELIEVE WHATEVER DOESN'T KILL YOU, SIMPLY MAKES YOU.....STRANGER."

Quote Originally Posted by swishbig View Post
    Apes is cool but seriously? Avatar did the same motion visual effects and the wow factor in DOTM is bigger. Of course apes will win though because the academy is bias and favors WETA more
    I got to ask you, are you not bias in your opinion as well? If I had to choose, I would choose Rise of the Planet of the Apes. One, the FX were extremely well done and left my jaw dropped many times. Second, the personality and characteristic on Caesar was right on point compared to the Transformers. 3rd, I can't believe they did all of this for under 100 million dollars!

Transformers 1 should have won the best FX back in 2008. It was by far the more superior FX at that time. But this time around, I just don't think so. But I will be pissed if TF3 is not at least nominated. I don't care how much critics hate a movie, it was wrong to shun TF2 a best FX nod. And how come there are only 3 nominations? They need to expand it since there are a lot more than just 3 movies a year that utilize FX!

Quote Originally Posted by highdefw View Post
    It won't. Excellent vfx yes, but was it revolutionary enough?
    You're absolutely right. The vfx are not revolutionary but there is no other movie from this year with something revolutionary. So DOTM is the front runner for now especially with the enormous work they did because of the 3D.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by warhorse View Post
    I got to ask you, are you not bias in your opinion as well? If I had to choose, I would choose Rise of the Planet of the Apes. One, the FX were extremely well done and left my jaw dropped many times. Second, the personality and characteristic on Caesar was right on point compared to the Transformers. 3rd, I can't believe they did all of this for under 100 million dollars!

Transformers 1 should have won the best FX back in 2008. It was by far the more superior FX at that time. But this time around, I just don't think so. But I will be pissed if TF3 is not at least nominated. I don't care how much critics hate a movie, it was wrong to shun TF2 a best FX nod. And how come there are only 3 nominations? They need to expand it since there are a lot more than just 3 movies a year that utilize FX!
    Finally someone who's not suffering from "brown nosing Bay's ass" syndrome. I'd love to see DOTM take out the award but like I said before - Weta have the Midas touch and they have set the standard in high quality VFX and set/prop design.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Majestic View Post
    Finally someone who's not suffering from "brown nosing Bay's ass" syndrome. I'd love to see DOTM take out the award but like I said before - Weta have the Midas touch and they have set the standard in high quality VFX and set/prop design.
    Chuckles. My bosses want to fire me at least once a week, because I tell them things they don't want to hear. But in the end, a striving company in a cutthroat business occasionally needs a voice of reason.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Weta win the best FX awards for the next three years now, 2012 for Rise of the Planet of the Apes, 2013 for the Hobbit and 2014 for The Hobbit part two!

Quote Originally Posted by warhorse View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Weta win the best FX awards for the next three years now, 2012 for Rise of the Planet of the Apes, 2013 for the Hobbit and 2014 for The Hobbit part two!
    And 2015 for Avatar 2.

New great book about ILM. Release date - November 1.

Love the cover!

http://www.amazon.com/Industrial-Lig...283155&s=books

Quote Originally Posted by Albershide View Post
    And 2015 for Avatar 2.
    Yeah, I know, forgot about that. When's Avatar 3 supposed to come out, they'd take that crown too! Weta's on fire!

DOTM Visual Effects Supervisor Scott Farrar will receive The Hollywood Visual Effects Award.

http://transformerslive.blogspot.com...o-recieve.html

DOTM Visual Effects Supervisor Scott Farrar will receive The Hollywood Visual Effects Award.

http://transformerslive.blogspot.com...o-recieve.html
    Congrats!

Oscar or not Oscar the effects in TR3 are the best ones out there. And thats it. I am not a huge CG fan but I kneel down before this!
    There is only one thing which irritates me extreamly much about TR effects is the car chase scenes!! I dont even have to look carefully it jumps right into my eyes that the cars and car drivers are not reacting at all to the mass-destruction what is going on arround them. Srsly, there are huge robots killing shooting destroying eachother at high speed and all the drivers drive along just as on a regular tuesday morning...

"Michael Bay is made out of rainbow powder"

As a guy who appriciates animation and can spot realism or not, while Planet of the apes looked good, it wasnt DOTM. The complexity of the skyscrapper and shockwaves drill was far greater than the apes. I'm not saying the apes looked bad, but they still felt fake to me. It still felt a bit off. DOTM made a lot more improvments since the past 2 movies and it shows.
    But knowing the Oscars, Smurfs will probably win.

New great book about ILM. Release date - November 1.

Love the cover!

http://www.amazon.com/Industrial-Lig...283155&s=books
    Dang. For a quick second there I thought that was a TF ILM book.

For these awards, how much is a special effects team widely using a "novel" technology (Rise... the Apes) worth, as compared to mastering an existing suite of technologies (DOTM)?

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. While WETA elevated the use of motion capture in Planet of the Apes, it's highly likely that ILM will surpass their motion capture work with the Avengers.
    At the same time, to argue that ILM didn't previously deserve the award for their effects work on Star Wars: Episode III is to minimize their novel use of fractal geometry in rendering interactive backgrounds.

All this is to say that if ILM's work on DOTM doesn't receive the award, voters from the academy will need to contradict one of their decisions. If Rise... the Apes is rewarded for novelty, then ILM has been snubbed in the past. If widely using a suite of technologies is rewarded, then ILM should be the favorite for this year. After all... this movie was part Transformers I, part Forrest Gump and part (insert any disaster movie that destroys large buildings and includes explosions). Was there a currently-employed special effect that it didn't use?

Quote Originally Posted by T. Van Dyke View Post
    For these awards, how much is a special effects team widely using a "novel" technology (Rise... the Apes) worth, as compared to mastering an existing suite of technologies (DOTM)?

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. While WETA elevated the use of motion capture in Planet of the Apes, it's highly likely that ILM will surpass their motion capture work with the Avengers.
    At the same time, to argue that ILM didn't previously deserve the award for their effects work on Star Wars: Episode III is to minimize their novel use of fractal geometry in rendering interactive backgrounds.

All this is to say that if ILM's work on DOTM doesn't receive the award, voters from the academy will need to contradict one of their decisions. If Rise... the Apes is rewarded for novelty, then ILM has been snubbed in the past. If widely using a suite of technologies is rewarded, then ILM should be the favorite for this year. After all... this movie was part Transformers I, part Forrest Gump and part (insert any disaster movie that destroys large buildings and includes explosions). Was there a currently-employed special effect that it didn't use?
    Oh, yeah... it's also part "Evil Kneivel" stunt film (considering the wingsuit scenes).

Wow, that was an amazing read, gave me goosebumps when they started crunching out numbers, make one appreciate to a certain level how much work went into these movies. Cannot wait to watch them when the blu-ray come out with them.

very interesting and amazing to read. thanks for sharing.

I think DOTM should at least get a nomination in the visual fx category.
    I personally feel it should win
    but I dont wanna have too high expectations.
    It should get a nomination tho. Clearly deserves it.

Digital Domain VFX:

Thanks to eagc7!

ILM uploaded another video about the DOTM VFX on their youtube page:

What about The Adventures of TinTin? best CGI i've seen last year or is that an animated film?

Tin Tin counts as an animated film.
    "I BELIEVE WHATEVER DOESN'T KILL YOU, SIMPLY MAKES YOU.....STRANGER."

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    What about The Adventures of TinTin? best CGI i've seen last year or is that an animated film?
    Unrelated.