Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 67

Thread: The Visual Effects of DOTM!

  1. #1
    Senior Member Albershide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sofia, Bulgaria, Europe
    Posts
    4,228

    Default The Visual Effects of DOTM!

    Here is the first video about the "killer visual effects behind DOTM".



    All hail ILM.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    None of your God damn business!
    Posts
    742

    Default Re: The Visual Effects of DOTM!

    Awesome, Imagine what would happen if say ILM, Pixar and Weta Digital combined forces? Oh the possibilities!

  3. #3

    Default Re: The Visual Effects of DOTM!

    O- s- c- a- r

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    811

    Default Re: The Visual Effects of DOTM!

    Quote Originally Posted by AgentZero View Post
    O- s- c- a- r
    Well, i finally hope Michael Bay and his crew finally get what they diserve. It would be a sad testament to the condition of the film world if the movies that completely revolutionized visuals in a movie never get an oscar for it - out of cheer hate.

  5. #5
    Senior Member warhorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    603

    Default Re: The Visual Effects of DOTM!

    Quote Originally Posted by Crainy View Post
    Well, i finally hope Michael Bay and his crew finally get what they diserve. It would be a sad testament to the condition of the film world if the movies that completely revolutionized visuals in a movie never get an oscar for it - out of cheer hate.
    Because the Oscars are a bunch of fucking assholes, I'll bet that Transformers 3 will still not get it's oscar, and that FX will go to Rise of the Planet of the Apes.


  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    None of your God damn business!
    Posts
    742

    Default Re: The Visual Effects of DOTM!

    Quote Originally Posted by warhorse View Post
    Because the Oscars are a bunch of fucking assholes, I'll bet that Transformers 3 will still not get it's oscar, and that FX will go to Rise of the Planet of the Apes.
    DOTM will be nominated but I have a feeling Rise of the Planet of the Apes will take out the title - Weta Digital have the midas touch! Not that ILM doesn't deserve the award but if you look at the complexity of the CG Weta are always pushing the boundaries.

    I'm making a huge assumption here but I suspect DOTM's CG teams spent most of their time redesigning the Autobots and Decepticons, creating a few huge scenes (moon sequences and the skyscraper falling over) and then painstakingly rendering all the footage.

    Weta help James Cameron develop the 3D technology that brought us Avatar (that was then upgraded and handed over to Bay for DOTM) and amazingly photo realistic motion capture, skin and fur textures and facial rendering - as seen on King Kong, the LOTR trilogy and Tin Tin.

    There is not an award Weta Digital have not won - Oscars, SAG's, Emmy's, BAFTA's & Academy awards etc

  7. #7
    Senior Member Albershide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sofia, Bulgaria, Europe
    Posts
    4,228

    Default Re: The Visual Effects of DOTM!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Majestic View Post
    DOTM will be nominated but I have a feeling Rise of the Planet of the Apes will take out the title - Weta Digital have the midas touch! Not that ILM doesn't deserve the award but if you look at the complexity of the CG Weta are always pushing the boundaries.
    I'm absolutely sure that DOTM will win the Oscar for visual effect. I'm working in a post production company and I can tell you that Weta did a horrible job with the Planet of the Apes. I don't know what went wrong but the monkeys look so fake. Obviously they changed something because King Kong looked way better.
    And I can guarantee you that ILM has the best post in the world. Weta are also doing great things but there are always many bugs that many people don't see.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Moy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    City of Angels
    Posts
    290

    Default Re: The Visual Effects of DOTM!

    Last time a bunch of bears took the oscar win, this time it's going to be a bunch of monkeys? Sigh...nothing changes does it?

    Transformers complexity & ingenuity is unlike anything that has been released in hollywood for a good time.
    It's the level of detail from these robots that have captured the attention of millions, and yet an oscar isn't considered.

    Transformers not winning an Oscar again would be very typical, but at least I know which movie stands above the rest.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Albershide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sofia, Bulgaria, Europe
    Posts
    4,228

    Default Re: The Visual Effects of DOTM!


  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    None of your God damn business!
    Posts
    742

    Default Re: The Visual Effects of DOTM!

    Quote Originally Posted by Moy View Post
    Transformers complexity & ingenuity is unlike anything that has been released in hollywood for a good time.
    It's the level of detail from these robots that have captured the attention of millions, and yet an oscar isn't considered.
    Level of detail was amazing to see in the first movie but what ruined it was purposely blurry transformation sequences and fight scenes - all done to hide the many errors in CG design and rendering process. I remember watching all the bonus content and noticed how that paid attention to the transformation process (making sure everything fitted nicely into it's own places when in vehicle and then robot mode) but if you look closely and slow down the scenes you can find a lot of errors - simply because they didn;t have enough time, money or network rendering processing power and HD space to fine tune everything.


    Several years ago Weta Digital bought one of the world most powerful super computers specifically for CG rendering and various animation effects (rag doll, dust effects, human skin & hair etc)

  11. #11
    Senior Member Flyingheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Europe, Belgium, Antwerp, Brecht.
    Posts
    4,065

    Default Re: The Visual Effects of DOTM!

    Hats off for ILM! )
    When i Transform i release rockets with nanobot-viruses that destroys you from within... the fuel inside you will turn into acid, metal will melt instantly...
    I'm a decepticon and my name is _____ All Hail Megatron!

  12. #12
    Senior Member THUNDERWING's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    253

    Default Re: The Visual Effects of DOTM!

    DOTM all the way. Damn dirty Apes don't deserve it.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    811

    Default Re: The Visual Effects of DOTM!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Majestic View Post
    DOTM will be nominated but I have a feeling Rise of the Planet of the Apes will take out the title - Weta Digital have the midas touch! Not that ILM doesn't deserve the award but if you look at the complexity of the CG Weta are always pushing the boundaries.

    I'm making a huge assumption here but I suspect DOTM's CG teams spent most of their time redesigning the Autobots and Decepticons, creating a few huge scenes (moon sequences and the skyscraper falling over) and then painstakingly rendering all the footage.

    Weta help James Cameron develop the 3D technology that brought us Avatar (that was then upgraded and handed over to Bay for DOTM) and amazingly photo realistic motion capture, skin and fur textures and facial rendering - as seen on King Kong, the LOTR trilogy and Tin Tin.

    There is not an award Weta Digital have not won - Oscars, SAG's, Emmy's, BAFTA's & Academy awards etc
    First of all, Avatars visual effects where nowhere near as impressive as TF1īs visuals effects back in 2007. Avatar looked actually not more realistic than Transformers, but the cheer amout of Special Effects won them their Oscar.

    To date, there is no movie that surpassed the quality of CGI in TF1. The only movie that comes close to that or is equally good is DOTM. I dont know what they did with TF1, but it just looks so more realistic than anything else.

    Also, the Oscars are not supposed to judge the technical aspects of the CGI. They are supposed to judge if it looks perfect. Of course they had to cheat a little in the Transformers movies, but still, it looks more realistic than anything, while the Transformers themselves are probably the hardest CGI to make.

    You also have to considere that with Transformers, its amazing how less CGI Michael Bay and his crew actually used for these movies, even though the Transformers movies need CGI more than any other movie out there. That alone deserves recognition.

    It is much easier to make things look realistic in an all CGI animated world like Avatar, because the human eye does not have a benchmark (the real world) in each shot.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    None of your God damn business!
    Posts
    742

    Default Re: The Visual Effects of DOTM!

    Quote Originally Posted by Crainy View Post
    To date, there is no movie that surpassed the quality of CGI in TF1. The only movie that comes close to that or is equally good is DOTM. I dont know what they did with TF1, but it just looks so more realistic than anything else.
    Wrong! I CBF giving examples and explaining :head

  15. #15
    Senior Member Roll Out's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    218

    Default Re: The Visual Effects of DOTM!

    I'd be surprised if ILM ever won another Oscar.
    That company is owned by George Lucas...and the Academy morons hate him because Lucas basically told 'em to fuck themselves many years back.
    Autobots!
    Transform and...make a BILLION DOLLARS!

  16. #16
    Senior Member Albershide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sofia, Bulgaria, Europe
    Posts
    4,228

    Default Re: The Visual Effects of DOTM!

    Quote Originally Posted by Roll Out View Post
    I'd be surprised if ILM ever won another Oscar.
    That company is owned by George Lucas...and the Academy morons hate him because Lucas basically told 'em to fuck themselves many years back.
    Indeed there is something strange going on between the Academy and ILM in recent years. They've won 14 Oscars from 17 years for visual effects for the period 1977-1994. Then for 15 years (1995 to 2010) they've won only one Oscar for Pirates 2 (2006). Pretty strange, right?
    Whatever the case they'll win for DOTM, I can bet on it. They won't find an excuse this time.

  17. #17
    Senior Member warhorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    603

    Default Re: The Visual Effects of DOTM!

    Quote Originally Posted by Albershide View Post
    Indeed there is something strange going on between the Academy and ILM in recent years. They've won 14 Oscars from 17 years for visual effects for the period 1977-1994. Then for 15 years (1995 to 2010) they've won only one Oscar for Pirates 2 (2006). Pretty strange, right?
    Whatever the case they'll win for DOTM, I can bet on it. They won't find an excuse this time.
    No they won't. It'll go to Rise of the Planet of the Apes. I saw last night on the Evening World News, and again this morning on the World News Weekend Edition, as well as all of the movie boards across the net, and everyone is talking about the amazing effects of the dirty ape movie.

    They're basically using the same techniques they used for Gollum, and they are even using Andy Serkis for Caesar, but regardless, past victories and a certain discontent with the Oscars and ILM and Michael Bay cannot be denied.


  18. #18
    Senior Member Albershide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sofia, Bulgaria, Europe
    Posts
    4,228

    Default Re: The Visual Effects of DOTM!

    Quote Originally Posted by warhorse View Post
    No they won't. It'll go to Rise of the Planet of the Apes.
    If the Apes win over DOTM there will be a huge Hollywood scandal.

  19. #19
    Junior Member eanetdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: The Visual Effects of DOTM!

    Quote Originally Posted by Albershide View Post
    If the Apes win over DOTM there will be a huge Hollywood scandal.

    No, there won't be a scandal. If Hollywood actually appreciated the effects of real robots for the first time in film, they would have won it in 2008 for the first film. No way in hell they'll notice now. DOTM didn't do anything different this time around, they just improved on an already present concept.

    ILM should have gotten it in 2000 for Star Wars I. Didn't. Neither did they get in in 2006 for Star Wars III.

    Once the academy shuns something, it can never recover. They are ungrateful a**holes.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Albershide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sofia, Bulgaria, Europe
    Posts
    4,228

    Default Re: The Visual Effects of DOTM!

    Quote Originally Posted by eanetdude View Post

    ILM should have gotten it in 2000 for Star Wars I. Didn't. Neither did they get in in 2006 for Star Wars III.
    Episode 1 is from 1999 and the visual effects were nothing spectacular, too cartoony (I'm a big SW fan). I think the Matrix deserved the Oscar from that year and they got it.
    Episode 3 is from 2005 and again the visuals were nothing groundbreaking. King Kong on the other hand did a great job with the motion capture and the creature realism and again deserved the Oscar IMHO.
    Actually 2007 is the only recent year that a movie that deserved the Oscar in visual effects and didn't get it .

  21. #21
    Junior Member eanetdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: The Visual Effects of DOTM!

    Quote Originally Posted by Albershide View Post
    Episode 1 is from 1999 and the visual effects were nothing spectacular, too cartoony (I'm a big SW fan). I think the Matrix deserved the Oscar from that year and they got it.
    Episode 3 is from 2005 and again the visuals were nothing groundbreaking. King Kong on the other hand did a great job with the motion capture and the creature realism and again deserved the Oscar IMHO.
    Actually 2007 is the only recent year that a movie that deserved the Oscar in visual effects and didn't get it .
    Well, who should win is subjective, but the dates I put down were the years that those films could have won the award, not the year they were released. They were spring/summer movies, award season is the next winter.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    811

    Default Re: The Visual Effects of DOTM!

    Quote Originally Posted by Albershide View Post
    Episode 1 is from 1999 and the visual effects were nothing spectacular, too cartoony (I'm a big SW fan). I think the Matrix deserved the Oscar from that year and they got it.
    Episode 3 is from 2005 and again the visuals were nothing groundbreaking. King Kong on the other hand did a great job with the motion capture and the creature realism and again deserved the Oscar IMHO.
    Actually 2007 is the only recent year that a movie that deserved the Oscar in visual effects and didn't get it .
    Yet eanetdude has a point. The academy is just a publicity stunt.

    And again, i dont think that the visual effects on the Ape movie are that impressive. The ape doesnt look much more realistic than King Kong from 2005.

    DOTM deserves the Oscar. It would be so ungrateful if none of these movies that revolutionized visuals in the movieworld would dont get an oscar for it.

  23. #23
    Senior Member Albershide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sofia, Bulgaria, Europe
    Posts
    4,228

    Default Re: The Visual Effects of DOTM!

    Another great interview regarding the visual effects of DOTM (and not only) with Scott Benza:

    http://www.cgsociety.org/index.php/C...al/scott_benza

  24. #24
    Senior Member highdefw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    189

    Default Re: The Visual Effects of DOTM!

    Quote Originally Posted by Albershide View Post
    Indeed there is something strange going on between the Academy and ILM in recent years. They've won 14 Oscars from 17 years for visual effects for the period 1977-1994. Then for 15 years (1995 to 2010) they've won only one Oscar for Pirates 2 (2006). Pretty strange, right?
    Whatever the case they'll win for DOTM, I can bet on it. They won't find an excuse this time.
    It won't. Excellent vfx yes, but was it revolutionary enough?

    ANd for those hating on Lucas, you obviously have no idea what he's brought to this industry and what an influence he still has...

  25. #25
    Senior Member TIMtationX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    2,139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crainy

    Yet eanetdude has a point. The academy is just a publicity stunt.

    And again, i dont think that the visual effects on the Ape movie are that impressive. The ape doesnt look much more realistic than King Kong from 2005..
    Disagree. Apes should win in my opinion.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •