Thread: I Hate It When Writers Get It Wrong

Post I Hate It When Writers Get It Wrong

I really do hate how writers get it wrong. They write as if they were there every day, every hour, for two years of production. David Cohen’s 3D story for Variety, missed the mark. I often ask my what is the point in talking to writer’s because they just want to print their own reality of the truth.

David didn’t print the whole story from me, or my team, which makes a deceiving portrait of the truth. He got the conversion percentages wrong. And more importantly missed the true point of what the story should have been. The world was asking for a good 3D experience. How you could seamlessly blend Native to converted. Transformers 3D stands on it own, and we feel proud we delivered.

David wasn’t interested into how Transformers revolutionized the conversion process in it’s approach, and technique. He thought he would bore readers by forgetting to mention the massive complexity of the hundreds of layers, and the full year we had our two conversion companies working on some of the shots. We did think way different, and outside the box.

He could've made an educational article where directors and producers could of learned about new conversion techniques and the innovative ways to approach the process. But instead it was a lame attempt to say we fibbed to the audience.

I always thought Variety was a film trade magazine?

Michael

Default Re: I Hate It When Writers Get It Wrong

Very well said. It was the best 3D I have ever seen by far, AVATAR was great, but this was impeccable. Also many theaters screwed up and were showing the movie at 60% brightness, I know because it happened to me. Imax 3D was the only one that was outstanding. But even with the REALD 3D I could tell how advanced the shots were, it wasn't until Imax that I finally was blown away.
    God Bless and keep doing what you do, thanks again to the best trilogy ever.
    Dan

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by michaelbay View Post
    David didn’t print the whole story from me, or my team, which makes a deceiving portrait of the truth. He got the conversion percentages wrong. And more importantly missed the true point of what the story should have been.
    hmmm, this David sounds like a Decepticon! tryin to deceive people. anyone have a link to the article Michael is talking about?

That article was incredibly misleading and did not make much sense. Slow news day, I guess...
    "When you make something no one hates, no one loves it." - Tibor Kalman

Quote Originally Posted by starscream1017 View Post
    hmmm, this David sounds like a Decepticon! tryin to deceive people. anyone have a link to the article Michael is talking about?
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118040081?refCatId=13

The guy clearly does not understand, he is trying to confuse people in this article.

Banned

thanks for the link!

the writer gave his e-mail at the bottom of the article.
    quick everyone hate mail him!

jk..

It seems like people don't even know what films are these days. Writers like David especially. Nit picking this and trying to mislead the truth for the audience.
    "I BELIEVE WHATEVER DOESN'T KILL YOU, SIMPLY MAKES YOU.....STRANGER."

Thank you for clearing it up. It's disappointing that media today tend to try carrying flashy articles with neither fact nor grounds just to attract attention. (The same happens often to the industry I belong.)

And 3D in TF: DOTM is the best I've ever seen. It's the only one that didn't bring me headache despite the intensiveness of action.

Wow that article was pretty brutal. Many of his attacks made no logical sense. He was too busy clackin his fingers and not working his brain.

Quote Originally Posted by Mech_1000 View Post
    Wow that article was pretty brutal. Many of his attacks made no logical sense. He was too busy clackin his fingers and not working his brain.
    What brain?
    "I BELIEVE WHATEVER DOESN'T KILL YOU, SIMPLY MAKES YOU.....STRANGER."

This fool (David) is terribly misinformed. DOTM was the best 3D movie I've ever seen.
    FACTION: AUTOBOT
    ALTERNATE MODE: MILLENNIUM FALCON
    NAME: LONGSHOT

Banned

Do not attend the faulty media the paid media the haters media or what critics badly says guys ! Go see the movie and then talk whatever you want , but !! only then ! TF3 , Michael was the best in the series so far and the 3D especially was not only beautiful as you said before but revolutionary ! Nothing compared to TF3 not even Avatar ! Pirates 4 & HP8 is all false 3D and confuse the people !!!!!! Congratulations and if you want consider to help at least for TF4 in the future your work is second to none Thank you very much for your greatest film that gave to us to remember forever

Michael this time your writer was excellent ! Nothing more nothing less ! Please leave him in one piece :P Remarkable

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PSofosNextGen View Post
    Do not attend the faulty media the paid media the haters media or what critics badly says guys ! Go see the movie and then talk whatever you want , but !! only then ! TF3 , Michael was the best in the series so far and the 3D especially was not only beautiful as you said before but revolutionary ! Nothing compared to TF3 not even Avatar ! Pirates 4 & HP8 is all false 3D and confuse the people !!!!!! Congratulations and if you want consider to help at least for TF4 in the future your work is second to none Thank you very much for your greatest film that gave to us to remember forever

Michael this time your writer was excellent ! Nothing more nothing less ! Please leave him in one piece :P Remarkable
    Your TF3 screenwriter Ehren was at his best !
    But the all of the other world writers [of the bad press i mean and only the bad press] need a serious punishment ! I agree with you totally

"Haters gonna hate. They're just mad 'cause Bay is styling on them."
    DOTM best 3D movie ever.
    Can't wait till we get to the billion mark!!!!

I guess there's a reason why he's a magazine writer who shits on other people's efforts.

It's pretty clear he's jealous hack w/o a lick of measurable talent.

Let him stew in his miserable life while Bay collects millions from his awesome (and very popular) work.
    Autobots!
    Transform and...make a BILLION DOLLARS!

Wouldn't worry about it so much. At least the people that are important know the truth.
    They call me Ratchet Girl for a reasonl.
    Yeah, I'm a girl...SO FREAKING WHAT????
    I will always love Ratchet. Don't even try to take my title.

I'd be very interested to know much more about the process that Michael used.

And for once it would be nice if the experts didn't talk down to the reader, or try and keep the tech talk to a minimum.

I'd like to hear about the conversion process, which of the various cameras worked better than the others - if the anamorphic close-ups worked as well as bay had anticipated, or if he was dissatisfied - and how Bay felt about being locked into HD frameing in a digital space.

I'd also like to know if he felt he got what he wanted out of the Arri Raw, or if he still thinks film is better.

In essence, it would be nice to have a real chat with Michael, or, have michael get right into the hows and whys, instead of this glazed over argumentative Variety article.

Just saying...

I do not pay too much attention to media write-ups...

I know it's a necessary 'evil' Michael and the actors have to deal with doing promo for the films-but, these people could care less about what they write. Being 'factual' is not in their vocabulary lol... Critics are even worse...

This was the first 3D movie I've ever seen and I thought it was FANTASTIC!!! The time and effort that was put in to making it truly shows.

Any other 3D movie I see, going forward, will have a tough act to follow for sure!

Oh my god! They discovered the thruth, TF3 wasn't entirely "real 3D", they lied to us!!! : rol

I find that article quite pointless, as they intended it to "uncover" the truth about how little was filmed with 3D, but keep mentioning facts that contradicts or justifies many of the points made.

And, as many have already said, this is the best 3D I have seen so far. A very impressing and enjoyable experience. Two days ago I saw the movie again and I did really get confused with the realism of the 3D in two occassions:

- One was when an object flew in the shot (a paper or something) and I moved to the side to see better, as if the object had flew in front of me.

- The other was a scene in which people were crossing the shot and only their blurry shadows where visible, which made me think "why this people doesn't sit down?" only to realize that it was part of the movie.

That's how impressive the 3D was to me, not only the big action sequences and money shots had good 3D, but all throughout the movie. I really don't care if some scenes where post-converted, other where CGI and some native 3D, the point of the movie was to make the most convincing 3D to date, not only a quick, cheap, cash cow conversion.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guy View Post
    Oh my god! They discovered the thruth, TF3 wasn't entirely "real 3D", they lied to us!!! : rol

I find that article quite pointless, as they intended it to "uncover" the truth about how little was filmed with 3D, but keep mentioning facts that contradicts or justifies many of the points made.

And, as many have already said, this is the best 3D I have seen so far. A very impressing and enjoyable experience. Two days ago I saw the movie again and I did really get confused with the realism of the 3D in two occassions:

- One was when an object flew in the shot (a paper or something) and I moved to the side to see better, as if the object had flew in front of me.

- The other was a scene in which people were crossing the shot and only their blurry shadows where visible, which made me think "why this people doesn't sit down?" only to realize that it was part of the movie.

That's how impressive the 3D was to me, not only the big action sequences and money shots had good 3D, but all throughout the movie. I really don't care if some scenes where post-converted, other where CGI and some native 3D, the point of the movie was to make the most convincing 3D to date, not only a quick, cheap, cash cow conversion.
    The 3D was perfect in such a small amount of time Michael Bay had . Michael had a little time to do it right and right and but in the end won the 3D battle ! He is brilliant and TF3 must won the yearly crown
    Harry Potter The Last was totally a fake 3D DO NOT attended in 3D ! For that reason it felt 71% down today ! Viva Michael ! TF3 the No 1 movie in the world is going to be true !!!

Dont worry about it big guy (AKA Michael Bay,AKA M.B, AKA "The Sickest Action Director On The Planet!") He's not worth it! The people that you made the movie for are more than pleased (I am definitely one of them) and thats all that matters!

Ever since TF1 I have permenantly had Transformers on my brain, you could say Im a mix between Sam Witwicky and Agent Simmons! HAHAHA! You put the Transformers in my head and I thank you for the wonderful journey!!!

You ROCK, TF3 ROCKS and ALWAYS will! I am eagerly looking forward to your next films, and dont let the stupid media get you down, you should rather look at the facts that show that your TF3 made the most money out of all 3 TF movies and that its the best movie of the year and that should be enough said! It obviously means that your movie is GREAT! No stupid journalist/reporter who has no clue about making a movie and only writes what the minority nay sayers want to hear should tell you otherwise!

He is definitely a decepticon, so... what would Optimus Prime do to him?

As in the words of Optimus in TF2: "...You'll never stop at one! I'll take you ALL on!!!"

Show them by proving them wrong every time and continue making the best darn movies the world has ever seen!!!

Enjoy your break and all the best!
    “Message from Starfleet, Captain”… “Throughout the inanimate vastness of space”… “Angels will rain down like visitors from heaven! Hallelujah!”

I'm enjoying my holiday now but this moron really pissed me off. What a jerk! However I never take the words seriously from people who speak about things they don't understand.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Albershide View Post
    I'm enjoying my holiday now but this moron really pissed me off. What a jerk! However I never take the words seriously from people who speak about things they don't understand.
    I am with you

Banned

Congratulation Michael Bay ! You deserved this and all of as the fans and non-fans ! I hope for the domestic 2011 crown also to completely fulfilled my highly anticipated expectation Thank you Michael from all the Transformers fans worldwide You re the best out there !!!