View Poll Results: Did Steve Jablonsky Ripped Off Zack Hemsey's Mind Heist?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's a complete rip off

2 12.50%
  • No, they have nothing in common

4 25.00%
  • They have only few similarities

9 56.25%
  • I still can't decide

1 6.25%

Thread: Did Steve Jablonsky Ripped Off Zack Hemsey's Mind Heist?

Default Did Steve Jablonsky Ripped Off Zack Hemsey's Mind Heist?

Maybe you've heard the hot discussion about the similarities between Zack Hemsey's "Mind Heist" and Steve Jablonsky's "It's Our Fight". The discussion's been going for a week now and I wonder what you guys think. I know that most of us here are supporting Steve Jablonsky, but for me the similarities between the two songs are too obvious. I know that in the music business the line between a rip off and just similar sounds is very thin but I think in this case Hemsey has a good point.

Start playing from 0:51 min.

Start playing from 0:57 min.

By the way Zack Hemsey posted this on his blog. It's a bit harsh and I'm really looking forward to some kind of reply from Steve.

http://zackhemsey.blogspot.com/2011/...jablonsky.html

What do you think?

Default Re: Did Steve Jablonsky Ripped Off Zack Hemsey's Mind Heist?

Considering most people don't know what a chord progression is, this thread is kinda pointless.

Accusing Jablsonky of ripping off anyone is like saying that all these artist in the below video have ripped each other off.

Quote Originally Posted by nelson View Post
    Considering most people don't know what a chord progression is, this thread is kinda pointless.
    Your statement is right. However the point of this thread is not comparing the two songs by the last chord. I just wanted to hear what people think listening to the two songs. Personally I was a little disappointed by Steve that his song is so similar with Zack's but yet again when I first heard "It's Our Fight" I never associated it with "Mind Heist" which I used to listen very often a few months ago. Which is a good sign after all.
    And the most interesting thing for me is will Steve reply to Zack's accusations.

The track No Prisoners, Only Trophies reminded me of Journey to the Line from The Thin Red Line by Hans Zimmer. I know John Powell worked on that score, but I wonder if Jablonsky did as well?

As for this issue, while I agree that they sound similar, I always found that with movie scores you really have to listen for the fine level differences, because there are scores that sound similar. I find the same occurs with electronic music.

The point being, while they do sound similar, I can hear differences. I guess the age old question is how much "different" does something have to be considered different?

Ed Fuego
    "can you ban people who put other members quotes in their sig? if that is not a tell all sign that a person is going to be annoying i don't know what is."
    - thegreat

Just listen to "Under Pressure" and "Ice Ice Baby"

I mean this is common in the industry where songs song similar or influence other songs but at the end of the day Jablonsky is a genius and his music is epic.... I also here the similarity but dont think it is the same song......
    "How Come the Decepticons have all the cool shit"

They sound highly similar, but i wouldn´t call it a ripoff.

Is this track from Inception??? or is it from a movie called Mind Heist???
    Either way i have seen Inception and i cant remember anything about the soundtrack, its just one big blur for me but the images of the movie are still in my mind sure.

What music composers sometimes do is when they have created a soundtrack that is not working for a movie or when music from another movie is not catchy enough they will re-use those tracks that did not do anything for the audience and mix it and add things to it so it wont be a full copy of the old track, They could have bought that track from the composer and edited the track a bit for DOTM.

This happens a lot in the music business even Hans Zimmer said this in his Podcast of The Dark Knight.
    When i Transform i release rockets with nanobot-viruses that destroys you from within... the fuel inside you will turn into acid, metal will melt instantly...
    I'm a decepticon and my name is _____ All Hail Megatron!

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingheart
    Is this track from Inception??? or is it from a movie called Mind Heist???
    Either way i have seen Inception and i cant remember anything about the soundtrack, its just one big blur for me but the images of the movie are still in my mind sure.

What music composers sometimes do is when they have created a soundtrack that is not working for a movie or when music from another movie is not catchy enough they will re-use those tracks that did not do anything for the audience and mix it and add things to it so it wont be a full copy of the old track, They could have bought that track from the composer and edited the track a bit for DOTM.

This happens a lot in the music business even Hans Zimmer said this in his Podcast of The Dark Knight.
    Mind Heist is the track for the music from the trailer for Inception.

Ed Fuego
    "can you ban people who put other members quotes in their sig? if that is not a tell all sign that a person is going to be annoying i don't know what is."
    - thegreat

Banned

i see the similarities, but its different enough, i would say steve was probably inspired by it, but changed it up, so not a 'rip off' as such..

Isn't there a track from TF1 that sounds alike "Mind Heist"?
    And TF1 came out before inception.

I don't remember what track is it. Bu I think I remember something

"Science Fair is over Meatbags" -Drift (aka Bender)

I heard that during editing, Bay used tracks from Inception for some scenes. In this case, "Mind Heist" for the big scene when everything was getting REALLY climactic.

I guess it just went so well that he asked Steve to make something similar, which is understandable. They have their similarities, sure, but I think it went really well with the scene it was placed in, so I didn't mind at all.
    Optimus: "Amazing! A booby trap that actually catches boobies!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Fuego View Post
    The track No Prisoners, Only Trophies reminded me of Journey to the Line from The Thin Red Line by Hans Zimmer. I know John Powell worked on that score, but I wonder if Jablonsky did as well?

As for this issue, while I agree that they sound similar, I always found that with movie scores you really have to listen for the fine level differences, because there are scores that sound similar. I find the same occurs with electronic music.

The point being, while they do sound similar, I can hear differences. I guess the age old question is how much "different" does something have to be considered different?

Ed Fuego
    Good point with the 'how much different does somehting have to be, to be considered different?'

I hear a few similarities and a bunch of differences. Plus, Jablonsky's piece has much more emotional depth. IMHO, it's the better track.

Something I've learn with writing is that there is no such thing as an original idea--someone, somewhere has already thought of it. Maybe it's the same with music. ::Shrugs::

And I've hear other scores that sound similiar. After all, the insturments are designed to sound a certain way.

They are both very similar and it could have either been pure coincidence or Steve had the intention of making it similar. I don't blame Hemsey for being outraged since I would probably be too if someone created a score similar to one I composed but he said himself that no one owns any copyright of any genre so it doesn't matter.

Personally I like Steve's better. The climatic part of "It's Our Fight Now" sounds so golden!
    "I BELIEVE WHATEVER DOESN'T KILL YOU, SIMPLY MAKES YOU.....STRANGER."