Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bay's views on fanediting?

Senior Member I Fight Giant Robots's Avatar

Default Re: Bay's views on fanediting?

I dont see the point of fanediting. You either like a movie, or you don't. For a movie, like transformers , or something, which are my favorite movies, i would want to own the WHOLE ENTIRE movie, and not edit out anything.
    I Fight Giant Robots

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Majestic View Post
    The music and movie industry is built around this! 90% of our movie and music industry is based on copying, reproducing & sampling someone else's idea.

I wonder what the producers, directors, writers, cast and crew really think about this issue?
    What are you talking about? The movie and music industry is NOT built around plagiarism and "editing" a piece or a film as it suits your needs. We're not talking about "remixing a track" here. Of course creativity is the result of various influences and sources of inspiration, but that's not what you're suggesting here is it? As an artist too (film music composer, pianist) I also have somewhat of a strong feeling on an issue like this. I'm fairly certain that all the people involved in the film, starting with Mr. Bay, would not condone *cough* "fan edits". It's not like you would watch Transformers (or any other movie for that matter) and then incorporate, integrate some of its elements in a different context, in your own work, to create something new, it's changing, altering, the work of someone else, of course without their permission. Do you honestly think a filmmaker can agree with this or think it's cool? A movie is a work of art, it might be a product from the accountant and various suits view, but it's a work of art. As much as it can be funny to know how many of these fan-edits are made (Star Wars is another example...) this has nothing to do with "sampling someone else's idea". I'm doing all kinds of music btw, including hardstyle/trance. This copying/reproducing/sampling you mention is a whole different story than simply altering the work of someone else, which has nothing in common with any sort of creativity.

Actually most of movies and albums released nowadays are rehashes of previous ones. In movies is crystal clear.

Quote Originally Posted by alexsm View Post
    Actually most of movies and albums released nowadays are rehashes of previous ones. In movies is crystal clear.
    That's besides the point. "rehash" and come up with new material is different than altering an existing film.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    What are you talking about? The movie and music industry is NOT built around plagiarism and "editing" a piece or a film as it suits your needs. ...This copying/reproducing/sampling you mention is a whole different story than simply altering the work of someone else, which has nothing in common with any sort of creativity.
    If you look at the TV, Music and Movie industries over the last 15 years you'll see that genuine creativity doesn't sell... mindless BS and reusing old movies, songs & TV shows does. I think you're missing the point, no where in the previous topics have i said that i would participate or agree to "fan editing". We're going around in circles and everyone's eager to shoot down anyone who has the nerve to ask the hard questions. We still have no idea what the real heavy weights think about this subject while everyone prefers to float around on overly patriotic assumptions. We all agree that playing with final cut at home with your personal movie collection is different from creating and remixing movies and music. One is something you do out of boredom and curiosity and the other takes real creative talent and ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    What are you talking about? The movie and music industry is NOT built around plagiarism and "editing" a piece or a film as it suits your needs. We're not talking about "remixing a track" here. Of course creativity is the result of various influences and sources of inspiration, but that's not what you're suggesting here is it? As an artist too (film music composer, pianist) I also have somewhat of a strong feeling on an issue like this. I'm fairly certain that all the people involved in the film, starting with Mr. Bay, would not condone *cough* "fan edits". It's not like you would watch Transformers (or any other movie for that matter) and then incorporate, integrate some of its elements in a different context, in your own work, to create something new, it's changing, altering, the work of someone else, of course without their permission. Do you honestly think a filmmaker can agree with this or think it's cool? A movie is a work of art, it might be a product from the accountant and various suits view, but it's a work of art. As much as it can be funny to know how many of these fan-edits are made (Star Wars is another example...) this has nothing to do with "sampling someone else's idea". I'm doing all kinds of music btw, including hardstyle/trance. This copying/reproducing/sampling you mention is a whole different story than simply altering the work of someone else, which has nothing in common with any sort of creativity.
    Hmm...

"Even Ahmed Best, the voice of Jar Jar Binks, calls The Phantom Edit “great.” Best doesn’t feel at all slighted by Nichols’ mostly Jar Jar–free version. “If a fan thought that character should have been taken out and he took his time to do that, why should that affect me?” Best says. “That’s their idea. That’s their vision.”"

"Ralph Winter, producer of many X-Men and Star Trek films — both frequent fan-edit franchises—thinks fan edits are “kinda fun.” He says, “As a film maker, I think it’s incredible that fans want to participate and delve a little further into the material.”:

Derek Hoffman, a producer on Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut, concurs. “As a fan, which I am, I think [fan edits] are really interesting,” he says. “However, on the practical side, they’re recutting a film you made and using characters and telling stories that somebody else owns. Is that any different from kids getting together and playing with Star Wars action figures and creating their own stories and universes there? They’re just doing it in a more technological way.”"

"In September 2008, Tim Pope, director of The Crow: City of Angels, became the first director to publicly praise an edit of his/her own film. "It was quite emotional seeing the film that might have been," he wrote. "Thanks for putting this together and for your enormous efforts.""

Banned

I just realized one more thing, some people reacted badly to this thread and voices their opinions but we also have the "Shoot for the art" threads and various others where the same concept is being openly carried out by fans - fan's editing static art, music video clips etc art to suit their preferred taste or vision.

Let's say in an alternate reality where everything is exactly the same but... grass is blue, my twin would love to take the movie and re-engineer the content to have an abridged version of the movie based on simply the Autobots coming to Earth, finding the Ark, then the Matrix and then being double crossed and fighting the Decepticons with only minimal human interaction. Keep a slightly darker, more action packed story line with 99% of the content being about giant f&%ken robots fighting and doing cool stuff!! The human interaction scenes would be limited to the Autobots relationship with Sam and the various military forces, like in the original comics.

It's not to make a mockery of anything or anyone at all, if you do something with intent and passion you'll always get a good result. As a music producer and working on songs and remixes you learn to become your own judge, jury and executioner. If my twin from the alternate reality was able to complete this project, it would completed to a degree that would worthy of Mr Bay and Spielberg's approval.