Thread: Box Office Results: Crossed the $1 billion mark

Default Re: Box Office Results

There seems to be this assumption among certain people that the success of Potter somehow makes DOTM a failure. The movie will likely make more than ROTF which was a huge blockbuster, so I don't really see the need to worry about other movies that much. The TF franchise is already a huge success.

Good luck to Potter I say.

This is quite weird. Loyal to what? This is a MB website, but going to see other director movies (and liking it) is not some kind of treason. There's not an obligation to adore everything Mike does and hate everything other studios do.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by alexsm View Post
    This is quite weird. Loyal to what? This is a MB website, but going to see other director movies (and liking it) is not some kind of treason. There's not an obligation to adore everything Mike does and hate everything other studios do.
    I agree with both of you :P

Well ofcourse Harry Potter will do better, think about it.

It is part 7 right? That's a lot of movies for a franchise, at the same time the kids love the books (even adults) and they have huge promotion campaigns going on (at least here in Sweden) so that is a certain.

Transformers made money and will do a little bit more, hitting the 1 billion mark I don't think it will but hey, they got their money back and made huge profits so just look forward for the next one

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Well ofcourse Harry Potter will do better, think about it.

It is part 7 right? That's a lot of movies for a franchise, at the same time the kids love the books (even adults) and they have huge promotion campaigns going on (at least here in Sweden) so that is a certain.

Transformers made money and will do a little bit more, hitting the 1 billion mark I don't think it will but hey, they got their money back and made huge profits so just look forward for the next one
    Will do better domestically ? I don't think so . Potter never tops TFS ! Even transformers 1 is better in US gross why now ? Look the votes : 40 : 7 : 1 & the domestic box office history ! I mean only domestically NOT worldwide

Well... we need to see how goes the second week, but I think HP will cross the 400 Million line in the US.

Banned

Well... we need to see how goes the second week, but I think HP will cross the 400 Million line in the US.
    ...and this 3 Transformers movies none of them at least from this trilogy will never reached the yearly crown . This is not fair guys . Transformers might was the movie of the year from the start . Something went wrong over the years . Spiderman 3 did it batman : Dark Knight did it even Toy-Story 3 for the god sake . Transformers are better . Something is so wrong and i don't know what ... the only good thing will be TF trilogy will reach the 3rd spot both worldwide & domestically if tops 1 billion worldwide and 350 domestically , in all time trilogies !!! This is a very big thing but i wanted to be at least one of them movie of the year ....... as a fan i had only one expectation and HP will ruined the dream !

There's nothing wrong. Nowadays HP has a bigger fan base than Transformers, and is the final movie of a ten years saga, people liked the previous ones and it seems that that it is a good movie (seems, didn't seen it yet). It's just what should have been expected.

Quote Originally Posted by PSofosNextGen View Post
    ...and this 3 Transformers movies none of them at least from this trilogy will never reached the yearly crown . This is not fair guys . Transformers might was the movie of the year from the start . Something went wrong over the years . Spiderman 3 did it batman : Dark Knight did it even Toy-Story 3 for the god sake . Transformers are better . Something is so wrong and i don't know what ... the only good thing will be TF trilogy will reach the 3rd spot both worldwide & domestically if tops 1 billion worldwide and 350 domestically , in all time trilogies !!! This is a very big thing but i wanted to be at least one of them movie of the year ....... as a fan i had only one expectation and HP will ruined the dream !

You'd be far happier if you stopped focusing on how other movies are performing. Just focus on TF it's wildly successful regardless of how any other movie performs.

Though I think it would be far healthier if you gave up this obsession with the box office numbers all together. I mean do you ever post about any other subject on here?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fu2kimus_prime View Post
    You'd be far happier if you stopped focusing on how other movies are performing. Just focus on TF it's wildly successful regardless of how any other movie performs.

Though I think it would be far healthier if you gave up this obsession with the box office numbers all together. I mean do you ever post about any other subject on here?
    Yes i posted on many things but i don't know i am sad ....

I just don't understand why it is so damn important for you.

Most of us in here don't really care. of course it would have been great if TF3 ended up nr 1, but the world doesn't go under from it. Seriously, you need to take a chillpill.
    Those, who deny freedom to others, deserve it not for themselves. Abraham Lincoln

There's nothing wrong. Nowadays HP has a bigger fan base than Transformers, and is the final movie of a ten years saga, people liked the previous ones and it seems that that it is a good movie (seems, didn't seen it yet). It's just what should have been expected.
    HP has a bigger Fad base not fans HP is a trend-type movie series like Twilight and Toy Story when they last over 30 years of fandom then we will see. No offense but the Boxoffice is not a true measure of popularity, time is. and i doubt HP fans want a Reboot or more movies. as is Harry is looking more and more like one of the cast from Timebandits.

Up to date numbers:

Domestic: $302.9m
    Foreign: $459.4m (passed ROTF)
    TOTAL: $762.3m
    Autobots!
    Transform and...make a BILLION DOLLARS!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DK Prime View Post
    I just don't understand why it is so damn important for you.

Most of us in here don't really care. of course it would have been great if TF3 ended up nr 1, but the world doesn't go under from it. Seriously, you need to take a chillpill.
    I don't know either.....

From this point, DOTM should get at least another $50+ million from current int'l sources, and another $75m-$80m total from China + Japan.

That would put the foreign total in the upper $500 millions.

Add that to the approx $330m-$340m domestic take and the final WW number should be in the lower $900m range.
    Autobots!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Roll Out View Post
    From this point, DOTM should get at least another $50+ million from current int'l sources, and another $75m-$80m total from China + Japan.

That would put the foreign total in the upper $500 millions.

Add that to the approx $330m-$340m domestic take and the final WW number should be in the lower $900m range.
    950 min. i believe in billion more than ever .....

Quote Originally Posted by THUNDERWING View Post
    HP has a bigger Fad base not fans HP is a trend-type movie series like Twilight and Toy Story when they last over 30 years of fandom then we will see. No offense but the Boxoffice is not a true measure of popularity, time is. and i doubt HP fans want a Reboot or more movies. as is Harry is looking more and more like one of the cast from Timebandits.
    While I disagree with your premise as related to HP and Toy Story (you don't simply forget the books which help you become an avid reader, and people can't dismiss the very first CGI cartoon), I think you've raised an interesting point. The Transformers product has likely created a new breed of engineers (similar to the manner in which Star Trek created a new breed of scientists), but we just haven't measured it, effectively. At the very least, the manipulation of a Transformers toy must develop some specific set of cognitive skills--- and doing it for a large number of hours would, theoretically, have some sort of payoff.

Beyond that... kudos for making a Time Bandits reference

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by T. Van Dyke View Post
    While I disagree with your premise as related to HP and Toy Story (you don't simply forget the books which help you become an avid reader, and people can't dismiss the very first CGI cartoon), I think you've raised an interesting point. The Transformers product has likely created a new breed of engineers (similar to the manner in which Star Trek created a new breed of scientists), but we just haven't measured it, effectively. At the very least, the manipulation of a Transformers toy must develop some specific set of cognitive skills--- and doing it for a large number of hours would, theoretically, have some sort of payoff.

Beyond that... kudos for making a Time Bandits reference
    I agree . Me too time is the key for such great movies

Quote Originally Posted by THUNDERWING View Post
    HP has a bigger fan base, created with the books. And who goes from ten years old kids to full grown adults. That's a fact.

And, of course fans won't want a reboot or more movies. More movies are absurd, because the whole story is closed, and rebooting good sagas is 100% lame.

LOTR fans also don't want reboots or more LOTR movies, and that doesn't means it hasn't a brutally big fan base.

Like it or not, Harry Potter is now a big part in the history of cinema and a really important part of the history of modern literature. As good or bad the movies/books may be, their impact cannot be denied.

HP has a bigger fan base, created with the books. That's a fact.

And, of course fans won't want a reboot or more movies. More movies are absurd, because the whole story is closed, and rebooting good sagas is 100% lame.

LOTR fans also don't want reboots or more LOTR movies, and that doesn't means it has a brutally big fan base.

Like it or not, Harry Potter is now a big part in the history of cinema and a really important part of the history of modern literature. As good or bad the movies/books may be, their impact cannot be denied.

This.
    Those, who deny freedom to others, deserve it not for themselves. Abraham Lincoln

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DK Prime View Post
    This.
    And Transformers too

The main differences between Potter and Transformers is as follows...

- The time differential between the release of the Potter novels and the movies can be measured in just a few years (or less). This can be easily seen by the fact that new novels were being written as movies from earlier novels were being released.
    - The time between the Transformers original toys/toons and the movies is measured in decades, and with a much smaller and more American fan-base.

- The first Potter movie was prognosticated to be a huge success...and it was.
    - The first TF movie was estimated by many 'experts' to make less than $100m (dom)...and it made over $300m.

-Basically Potter did as expected, but TF overcame the odds and aweful reviews by a gang of idiots to become one of the most successful franchises ever.
    Autobots!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Roll Out View Post
    The main differences between Potter and Transformers is as follows...

- The time differential between the release of the Potter novels and the movies can be measured in just a few years (or less). This can be easily seen by the fact that new novels were being written as movies from earlier novels were being released.
    - The time between the Transformers original toys/toons and the movies is measured in decades, and with a much smaller and more American fan-base.

- The first Potter movie was prognosticated to be a huge success...and it was.
    - The first TF movie was estimated by many 'experts' to make less than $100m (dom)...and it made over $300m.

-Basically Potter did as expected, but TF overcame the odds and aweful reviews by a gang of idiots to become one of the most successful franchises ever.
    And after TF3 one of the 3 franchises ever in trilogies sector i hope both US and worldwide ....i agree with you about TFs overcome the odds and awful reviews by a GANG of losers not only idiots :P haters of the Transformers and Michael Bay !

Looks like TF3 will end at about 380M USA, unless they re-release in Imax which I hope they are able to I would watch it a second time.

Updated numbers (Monday domestic - $2.8m):

Domestic: $305.7m
    Foreign: $466.8m
    TOTAL: $772.5m
    Autobots!