Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: The Official DOTM Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas
    Why didn't any of the Autobots or humans re-act to Ironhide's death? He is not even mentioned after being killed off!
    I wondered the same thing.

Default Re: The Official DOTM Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Quote Originally Posted by TIMtationX View Post
    I wondered the same thing.
    Tim what you think bro?
    "How Come the Decepticons have all the cool shit"

Last night I was at a sold out showing at my local IMAX 3D theater, and I have to say that the movie was easily the best out of all three!

I really liked the intro, before the title came on. Great great GREAT way to open up the movie's storyline, and the entire theater was in applause after it ended. My only complaint about it was the miniature robot war going on, because I would have liked to see those robots full size going at it.

I loved all the scenes in the NEST command center and Autobots hanger, especially when Optimus was pissed off that the humans had known about the ship on the moon. Those really helped set the tone for the movie.

The humor is this movie was a lot funnier than anything in Revenge of the Fallen. The part where Sam is trying to start his car in front of Dylan was freakin' hilarious! I also really liked the part where he's trying to go to the NEST command center and the guards up front won't let him in, and then he calls Bee and says "THAT'S my car!" So good! All the job interviews that Sam went through were great. I really liked the John Malkovich scene with the job interview, but not the scene where he saw Bumblebee. Ken Jeong's scenes were also really funny. I really like Agent Simmons' Dutch sidekick. The scene in the Russian bar was great, too. The only other thing I can think of that I didn't like was Agent Simmons' interview with Bill O'Reilly. That was kind of annoying to me.

The highway chase scene was phenomenal!!! I was on the edge of my seat, holding on the entire time! Very well done there, Michael Bay! I was so scared the whole time, thinking "SHOOT! WHAT IF THEY GET SENTINEL! NOOOOO C'MON GUYS GET OUT OF THERE!" It was crazy, definitely one of the most intense and thrilling scenes in the entire franchise. The entire theater erupted in applause when Sam went flying through the air and Bee transforms, grabs him, and then transforms back into car form.

Then, right after the intense car chase sequence, the fast paced scene in the NEST command center really showed a sense of urgency. I was so worried that they wouldn't get Sentinel to a safe, hidden location. But then...HE FREAKIN' BETRAYS THEM! I DID NOT SEE THAT COMING! Wow. I was speechless and watched with my jaw dropped as he brutally murdered Ironhide. Unbelievable. Fantastic job with that twist. My entire theater was silent when that happened, so I think everyone was in shock. And the fact that it came after such a fast paced, thrilling scene where you WANTED Sentinel to be safe. That was just...wow.

I was thinking, "Man, s**t just got real..." But then, the moment was almost spoiled with the little bits of comedy that were added. I mean, I know we're supposed to have fun in a summer blockbuster, but the scene with Sam's parents was unnecessary, especially after what just happened in the story. I think those could have been cut out and replaced with some more emotion and reaction to Ironhide's death and the betrayal.

I really liked how Sentinel's character became pure evil after that, though. The way he bossed around Megatron was just like "Shoot. This guy is pure evil!" And that made the audience hate him and start to care about what happens in the story. His character was really well done. No complaints from me at all.

I didn't like the scene where the Autobots were being exiled. But, then again, I don't like scenes like that in ANY movie. It's mainly because I know they're going to come back, so I don't feel anything. The only thing I was curious about though was how they would come back if their ship blew up.

I really liked Lennox and Epps in this movie. Both of them have been fantastic throughout the franchise and I'm glad that they both got to see a lot of action in this movie!

Another thing I REALLY liked was Sam's character in this movie. Wow, he has really matured. He responded very well to everything that was happening around him and I'm so happy that he finally "became a man" in this movie. He wasn't a kid anymore. The way he stormed into the NEST command center to warn everyone about the coming threat. The way he tried to get Carly back in DC, and then in Chicago. The way he killed Starscream and fought off Dylan on his own! Great stuff. I've always liked him throughout the trilogy and Shia did a fantastic job with the character in this movie.

I was not sure what to expect from Rosie going into this movie. I mean, if she was just a replacement for Megan Fox, then she would have served no purpose other than eye candy. The relationship between Sam and Mikaela in the first two movies was pretty bogus to me. But, man! The relationship between Sam and Carly was ten times better! Shia had better chemistry with Rosie than he ever did with Fox, and I enjoyed every scene that she was in! She was beautiful and had more of a classy type of sex appeal that Fox never had. I loved her accent and her character was so much more likable than Mikaela. AND, I love that she was the one of mess with Megatron's head, telling him that he would just end up as Sentinel's b*tch if he let him get his way. She was awesome!

The last fight scene in Chicago was awesome, just plain awesome. Everything went great. I was genuinely worried during the execution scene, though! I thought Bee was going to die right there in front of Sam!!! Holy crap, if that did happen I don't know how I would have reacted. So much emotion going on in that scene. Shockwave wasn't really as bad as he was made out to be in the promotional stuff, in my opinion. And, just like with Revenge of the Fallen, the fight at the very end between Sentinel, Megatron, and Optimus went too fast. It didn't feel like an "epic showdown" because of how quick it was over with. Although, I did love how Optimus wrecked both of them! So great to see that and him being set out to kill all the Decepticons after all the events that went down in this movie. Loved it.

I just have one question because this is a flaw in the plot that one of my friends pointed it out that I can't seem to think of an explanation for. If Sentinel is the only one who can activate the pillars, how was Dylan able to activate one just by touching it? And the other Decepticons around the globe, too? If anyone could answer that, I'd really appreciate it!

Another thing I didn't like was how abruptly it ended. I felt like there could have been more closure, rather than "Fight's over guys, let's end the movie right here." Even if it was something like the first two movies, like how everyone went back to their normal lives in the first one or when they were all on the ship in the second one. It just felt way too quick to me, especially since this is the last movie in the trilogy.

Overall, I thought the movie was fantastic. It did not disappoint me, despite my high expectations and how much I had hyped myself up. Definitely my favorite in the trilogy, and I loved that it had a much darker and more serious tone than the first two, because it felt like the franchise had matured overall. I loved it. It was my first 3D movie since Avatar, and the only reason being is I was not impressed with the 3D in Avatar (which I also saw in IMAX 3D). This movie, while it looked really cool with some of the 3D shots, still didn't impress me that much. I think I would have enjoyed it just as much as I would have in 2D IMAX. But I guess that just means that I'm one of those guys that will never be a fan of 3D.

My final score for the movie: 9/10.

Thank you, Michael Bay and all of your cast and crew. You guys did a fantastic job and put out a quality production for all us fans that did not disappoint and lived up to all the hype. I know you guys had as much of a blast making it as we did and will watching it. The time and effort that was put into this movie to make it the best it could be is admirable and I have nothing but respect for you and the cast and crew. You guys rock!

I plan on seeing it at least two more times in theaters. Definitely one showing in 2D, and probably one in RealD 3D instead of IMAX 3D.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimash Prime

Tim what you think bro?
    Check my review a few posts back. I'll probably be seeing it again (in IMAX this time)

In all honesty, i think there would be two things i would change with DOTM

1) Switch Hide for the twins.... (2 birds with one cannon shot)

2) show us Wheelie & Brains after the ship went down...
    Don S Davis 1942-2008

Godspeed

Quote Originally Posted by SDL
    In all honesty, i think there would be two things i would change with DOTM

1) Switch Hide for the twins.... (2 birds with one cannon shot)
    Problem here is nobody would have cared if the twins bit the dust. Ironhide is a character we care about.

I wonder if well ever see the shots of the twins in that back alley or anything with Megan Fox on the DVD. I remember in the YouTube video someone took of the twins in the alley there were dumpsters with "Go home Autobots" on it. I wonder what happened to that too. The Autobots got kicked out but it wasn't humans rioting over it. Maybe script changes.
    I LOVE NELSON!!

Quote Originally Posted by TIMtationX View Post
    Problem here is nobody would have cared if the twins bit the dust. Ironhide is a character we care about.
    There is that, but it would still show that he was evil...

and seeing as people apparently heard someone screaming out Mudflap just after Sentinal turned... i think he was set to be killed before they were cut completely...
    Don S Davis 1942-2008

Godspeed

Quote Originally Posted by SamWitwicky View Post
    I wonder if well ever see the shots of the twins in that back alley or anything with Megan Fox on the DVD. I remember in the YouTube video someone took of the twins in the alley there were dumpsters with "Go home Autobots" on it. I wonder what happened to that too. The Autobots got kicked out but it wasn't humans rioting over it. Maybe script changes.
    theres a shot of them in an alley the updated Chevy advert... think the clip is on here somewhere
    Don S Davis 1942-2008

Godspeed

Watched it earlier today in 3D. What an absolute thrill ride!

Amazing movie, I felt like it had alot of heart, to go along with the amazing visuals. I feel the 3D is definately the best yet, I hope the majority of the audience chooses to see it this way.

If I live to be a 100 I don't think I'll ever see anything to match the balls to the wall action of the last hour or so DOTM. Michael has set the bar so high.

I stayed away from the internet for the most part for the last several weeks, so I haven't been spoiled by anything. So Sentinel Prime's betrayal was a nice twist for me, the way he brutalised Ironhide out of nowhere really did take me by suprise. Nimoy's performance was perfect for this character, I think Sentinel is a great villain because he's not just evil for the sake of it you can see where he's coming from, and why he decides to betray his brothers.

I thought all the robot screen time was well done, and I like that even background characters like Dino, and Que got a chance to shine. The Decepticons were built up well this time, and when the Autobots arrived to save the day I really was ready to see the Con's get what they had coming to them.

I felt the movie also had some of the best emotional moments since the first film. Sam's crying at saying his goodbyes to Prime, and Bumblebee was wonderfully executed I thought. As were the scenes of Que being executed, and Bumblebee coming so close. I did think he was going to bite it then.

Shockwave was very different to what I was expecting, but he was still very imposing with his driller bot.

Megatron was also great in this I thought, and I loved his interaction with Carly near the end. And ofcourse when he takes out Sentinel I thought that was another good twist. And then when Prime takes Megatron out once and for all it truly capped off the end of an era.

On the human side of things I thought Shia was great as always, Rosie did very well, loved her accent. And Patrick Dempsey played a great asshole role.

My only gripe is the same as many others, not enough time spent after Ironhides death. And perhaps the scen with the parents could have been cut for a moment of reflection.

Overall though I absolutely loved this film, the best visuals I've ever seen, with a solid coherent story, with chacters I love. I'll give this a 9 out of 10 can't wait to catch this again in IMAX next week.

I'd just like to say thanks to Bay, and his crew and all the actors for their hard work over the last several years. They've given us quite a ride over this trio of movies, and I for one can't wait to see where Michael's career takes him next.

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    Why didn't any of the Autobots or humans re-act to Ironhide's death? He is not even mentioned after being killed off!
    I think the movie plot was too ambitious for a 2:30 hour movie. They needed to drop some stuff to slow things down or speed up the first part. Too much going on, on several fronts.

Banned

I agree, it might end up in the directors cut or DVD extra's

FWIW, I really enjoyed DoTM - it was light years better than TF2, but I actually kind of liked TF1 better for the newness of seeing the TF in action and the "wonder" involved.

That having been said TF3 was funny, well-paced (I never checked my watch like I did twice during TF2) and had some classic lines (my favorite being the one about Cyrillic looking like all the keys you never use on a calculator. )

Rosie did a wonderful job, IMHO, acting circles around Megan Fox.

My only disappointment was that the end just seemed a little abrupt, like we could have used a little coda perhaps with his Mom asking Carly if Sam had indeed read the book she gave him, or perhaps one showing that Sam finally got a decent job, perhaps from Mearing, or that Brazos gave him a real job.

Not a full coda, just a little extra beat in the end credits like the Simmons/Mearing scene.

Loved the use of "Sweet Emotion" and didn't expect to actually see Buzz Aldrin!

Also what looked like an appearance by The Tree from TF1 and Armageddon…

Quote Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
    FWIW, I really enjoyed DoTM - it was light years better than TF2, but I actually kind of liked TF1 better for the newness of seeing the TF in action and the "wonder" involved.

That having been said TF3 was funny, well-paced (I never checked my watch like I did twice during TF2) and had some classic lines (my favorite being the one about Cyrillic looking like all the keys you never use on a calculator. )

Rosie did a wonderful job, IMHO, acting circles around Megan Fox.

My only disappointment was that the end just seemed a little abrupt, like we could have used a little coda perhaps with his Mom asking Carly if Sam had indeed read the book she gave him, or perhaps one showing that Sam finally got a decent job, perhaps from Mearing, or that Brazos gave him a real job.

Not a full coda, just a little extra beat in the end credits like the Simmons/Mearing scene.

Loved the use of "Sweet Emotion" and didn't expect to actually see Buzz Aldrin!

Also what looked like an appearance by The Tree from TF1 and Armageddon…
    The Tree?

Coda?
    Don S Davis 1942-2008

Godspeed

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    Am I the only one who felt DOTM didn't have enough heart? The whole movie just felt very coldhearted and emotionless. I will probably see it again before it's out of the theatres....
    Not at all…*though the TF movies aren't really fonts of emotion, I was upset at the fact that I actually teared up when the Autobots left and did so again when it looked like Bee was going to get it in front of Sam.

Freaking robots, and I never played with Transformers or watched the cartoon series so have no emotional baggage associated with or backhround with them other than what I know from the past two films.

I also would have preferred it if instead of having left Sam, Mikaela would have been revealed to have been killed in a motorcycle crash that was revealed to be one of the Decepticons' "suicides."

Quote Originally Posted by SDL View Post
    The Tree?

Coda?
    Coda as in we don't need a full two minute scene at the end of the battle, just a brief 15 to 30 second clip.

"The Tree" meaning the scraggly tree that the animal crackers scene in Armageddon and one of the scenes with Sam and Mikaela in TF1 took place under.

Oh, of course my favorite line of the movie was when they had Nimoy as Sentinel recite the "Needs of the many" line from Wrath of Khan.

Surprisingly enough I seemed to be the only one near me that laughed, like it just passed over the heads of most of the audience; awesome in-joke for Trek fans, though.

I liked it the intro was cool but i must say my favorite scene is the dreads car chase they were on a mission and one of them looked like predator but my favorite character now is Sideswipe he was awesome but i think a reduction of some of the humor and talking that wasnt so funny should have been used on the bots.

BTW, the effects leave it open to intepretation, so what do most think - did Cybertron simply return to where it came from, or was it destroyed?

It's not unlike postulating about the fate of Nero and the Romulan ship at the end of J.J. Abrams' Star Trek

My first 3D film and i was kinda dissapointed. not as good as i thought it would be, some scenes were just blurry and some were messy. wont be seeing it again in 3d.
    film was a 5/10 for me. no back story on new bots as promised, soldiers taking down decepticons with regular weapons.
    what were all the ships and robots doing just hiding on the moon? where did they all suddenly arrive from?

pros
    liked sams parents in this one, thank fuck his mother was calmed down.
    loved sentinel.
    loved that bay misled everyone into thinking shockwave was the big bad guy but was really a useless prick and sentinel was the main dude.
    got worried when bee had the gun to the head, really thought he was toast, awesome when he just and beat the shit out of soundwave.
    also worried about prime when sentinel had him at end.
    prime is just bad ass.

Alrighty then...just got back from seeing DOTM...in 2D.

First and foremost, it's beyond my comprehension how anyone could not love this movie.

The story is really good.
    The plotline was sound (except for a few minor hiccups).
    The action was pure insanty.
    And there was more Transformer footage in DOTM than TF1 and TF2 combined...X5....at least.

The opening sequence on Cybertron was worth the price of admission by itself.
    I'd put it right up there with 'Revenge of the Sith' as the best opening of any movie...ever.

I have no idea how ILM was able to get that much craziness done that fast.
    They must've been working on it before ROTF even came out.

I will definitely be seeing it again this weekend...and at least a couple more times after that.

Bravo Michael Bay...this is as good as it gets!!
    Autobots!
    Transform and...make a BILLION DOLLARS!

One thing about the 'weak Megatron' complainers.
    Did you watch the movie?

After Optimus fought Sentinel for quite a while, SP was about to kill OP...
    Then 'Poor Weak Megatron' came in and beat the living shit out of SP...leaving him so weak that he could not put up any fight when OP executed him.

On that subject...I suppose my main problem would be that OP was basically a boticidal maniac in the last 1/2 hour or so. The way he acted was far different from what we've seen from him, both in G1 form and the previous films.

A minor complaint only.
    I wouldn't want to take the spotlight away from the bevy of whiners in this thread.
    Autobots!
    Transform and...make a BILLION DOLLARS!

I liked it a lot, and so did my friend. But I have to see it one more time to get the full rating. But really I thought it was great, a superb improvement over ROTF and probably equal with the original, maybe a bit better. I loved the action scenes, and the story was better. I loved the humour with Sam's new job. And anything with optimus was good. Although I was hoping for a little more with Sentinal VS Optimus, it was still very good. I was on the edge of my seat. I can't believe Ironhide died did not see that coming. Aside from a few problems, I loved it. Almost forgot, I really liked Rosie more than Megan. Her personality was far more likeable. And she is very beutiful. Thanks Mr. Bay for another fun trip to the movies, you thrill your audiences.
    "Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing." - Optimus Prime

Punk ass decepticons

I wonder if they burned too many of their bridges by killing off all the major villains. (Even Starscream gets axed!) I don't think there's anyone LEFT to use for Part 4, besides Unicron.

Yeah, or people were saying Galvatron?
    "Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing." - Optimus Prime

Punk ass decepticons

Plot holes that still exist or things that make no sense

1. Remaining decepticons around the world

2. Optimus said the matrix can bring life back to the autobots if they die. But did not use it on ironhide or care about it.

3. If only optimus can reactivate sentinel prime, how did megatron make the deal with sentinel. on cybertron?

4. Bumblebee STILL can't speak after being on earth for years. How does this make any sense? I was really really hoping bumblebee could pull his voice out for his goodbye to sam when boarding the spaceship to leave earth

5. How was sentinel a firetruck before he has ever seen earth? also didn't make sense

6. wheelie and brains disappear after the crash. were they dead or no?

7. Megatron was still injured from optimus battle years back, (college was over, so atleast 2-4 years) and he still isn't repaired or weak. Does this mean optimus will never have his arm back?

reading through here I too agree with some of the points made,such as why it ended so and why Ironhide was not mention afterwards. My question is why did we not see Peter Cullen appear in the movie as Optimus in the flesh. There is where I am just a little disappointed and too that there was not more at the end of the movie or any hint is to where the autobots go from here or anything.

Earlier today I went to watch it again, but sad though now that it's apparently over.

Where do the Autobots go from here?