Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "The Oral History of Michael Bay"

Mind: California. Body: Between US & Europe.

Default Re: "The Oral History of Michael Bay"

Quote Originally Posted by greensmoke View Post
    Actually I'm not good at english, so I couldn't listen what he exactly said.
    could you guys write what he said, anyone?

Here it is:

Refn: "I have a lot of respect for Michael Bay (the reporter says "I do too, actually"). I think Michael is very underrated and that's a shame, because if you really look at the films her makes...I mean......I will always see a Michael Bay film and I will actually go to a theater to see them, because they really are extravagant experiences. They're bit like the William Wellman films in a way...Cecil B. DeMille...they're large, extravagant and they're very noisy, but they're certainly....you can't say that they're not right."

Reporter: "Nobody can do what he can do."

Refn: "No one."

Reporter: "It's a very specific thing, maybe the script's great, maybe it's not...but visually, the visual medium...there's really nobody else who has that particular skill set."

Refn: "And that scope.

When I saw the last "Transformers" I was like, "How do you do that?", how technically can you do that? You know what I mean? The expertise is....enormous."
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

Thumbs up Re: "The Oral History of Michael Bay"

Quote Originally Posted by Bayhem View Post
    Here it is:

Refn: "I have a lot of respect for Michael Bay (the reporter says "I do too, actually"). I think Michael is very underrated and that's a shame, because if you really look at the films her makes...I mean......I will always see a Michael Bay film and I will actually go to a theater to see them, because they really are extravagant experiences. They're bit like the William Wellman films in a way...Cecil B. DeMille...they're large, extravagant and they're very noisy, but they're certainly....you can't say that they're not right."

Reporter: "It's a very specific thing, maybe the script's great, maybe it's not...but visually, the visual medium...there's really nobody else who has that particular skill set."

When I saw the last "Transformers" I was like, "How do you do that?", how technically can you do that? You know what I mean? The expertise is....enormous."
    Thanks for translating, B.

The probable audible gasps from some of Refn's fans, however, need no translation.

Here it is:

Thanks for putting it down in writing. Auteurs love him, audiences love him. Why critics underrate him is beyond me.

Senior Member Bot of Badassness's Avatar

Well, we can now add him to the list along with Spielberg, Cameron and Nolan!
    Top 10 Movies of 2016: Hunt for the Wilderpeople, 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi, The Conjuring 2, Finding Dory, 10 Cloverfield Lane, Deadpool, Zootopia, The Nice Guys, Me Before You, Lights Out.

Quote Originally Posted by greensmoke View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Vv0E...eature=mh_lolz

Nicolas Winding Refn, who directed one of most critically acclaimed films in 2011, "Drive"
    He briefly said about Michael Bay. From 40min interview. 34:25 - 35:26.
    Actually I'm not good at english, so I couldn't listen what he exactly said.
    could you guys write what he said, anyone?
    People, including Michael Bay, keep comparing him to these old directors: Cecil B DeMille, William Wellman, Bugsby Berkeley,... eventually I'm going to have to watch some of their movies. Should I?

By the way, I did NOT like "Drive". The movie was as boring as he is. The whole story could have been told in twenty minutes in a TV episode of any cop drama. Michael Bay could have told it in 10 minutes and we still would have appreciated every plot point.

P.S. I can't wait to see "Pain and Gain". Those two actors are so much fun, and then Michael Bay at the helm? It's gonna be a blast!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bot of Badassness View Post
    Well, we can now add him to the list along with Spielberg, Cameron and Nolan!
    "Well now we can add kidnapping and extortion to his list of accolades." "Mr Sinclair, General Hummel is a man of honor!"

Quote Originally Posted by AlcatrazHero07 View Post
    People, including Michael Bay, keep comparing him to these old directors: Cecil B DeMille, William Wellman, Bugsby Berkeley,... eventually I'm going to have to watch some of their movies. Should I?
    Perhaps. Legendary directors.

What I like about Bay's movies is that they are topnotcher filled with inspiring visual-images speaking a lot louder than words, that deserves big screens.

When I'd like some stories or dramas, I'd read books or watch it at home. His films bring a cinema experience what makes me want to dress up and go out, to queue up for a seat in darkness and see it nonstop with excitement, like a child in a candy store.

Well said!
    When i Transform i release rockets with nanobot-viruses that destroys you from within... the fuel inside you will turn into acid, metal will melt instantly...
    I'm a decepticon and my name is _____ All Hail Megatron!

This...this is so true:

"Trailers run 2 1/2 minutes and feature the best parts of the movie. They're the best shots, the best effects, the most thrilling moments, the zinger lines. If you look at a Michael Bay movie, you're watching 2 1/2 hours of money shots and quotable tag lines. Every shot is designed to send tingles up your spine. When I watch a Michael Bay feature, I feel like I'm watching a full-length trailer. He manages to sustain that level of breathtaking awe for feature length -- and then some."

It's not part of the "Oral History", but it's a great article and I have a feeling that even though it's posted here some folks might have missed it (I know I missed it). So here it is - read the whole thing, it's worth it:

- http://michaelbay.com/media/articles/036/036.html
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

That quote was amazing...it sent tingles down my spine. Could not have described a Bay film any better. Thanks for sharing. I also loved the article

Kevin Smith: "Michael Bay is the modern-day Steven Spielberg." (in terms of influence and success)

- SModcast: http://smodcast.com/channels/smodcast/

Joss Whedon, director of "The Avengers": "I don’t think of myself as anything resembling a great action director. The Bay stuff is ten times prettier than mine."

- http://www.slashfilm.com/film-interv...-the-avengers/

Joss Whedon, director of "The Avengers": "I don’t think of myself as anything resembling a great action director. The Bay stuff is ten times prettier than mine."

- http://www.slashfilm.com/film-interv...-the-avengers/
    Good thing you provided those links, because here's what Joss Whedon really said:

You know the Bay stuff is 10 times prettier than mine, but very much about the sensation over the sort of explanation and for me it's very important that we know why our people are doing what they are doing and where they are and what the situation is and how I can make it worse. So I don't think of myself as anything resembling a great action director, but I do love iconic imagery.
    No where did I interpret that as "Michael Bay is a great action director." The "great action director" part could have been referring to James Cameron for all we know.

It's okay to quote people on Michael Bay, but don't quote mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbreaker View Post
    Good thing you provided those links, because here's what Joss Whedon really said:No where did I interpret that as "Michael Bay is a great action director." The "great action director" part could have been referring to James Cameron for all we know.

Actually, this is not about who's a "great action director". This thread is for quotes from people in the industry who are able to recognize Bay's movies/style. These days the stuff you read on the web about actors, directors, singers is mostly negative and sarcastic. It's good to have a balance.

Anyway, Whedon was influenced by Bay (as the article points out) and the "prettier" part was a nice, little compliment. And yes, his "dig" at Bay is correct, at least in my view - sometimes Bay's action is really about the "sensation over explanation". Sometimes, not always. So yeah, you can say that he's right about that. Same can be said about some of Tony Scott's action. Not to mention Stephen Sommers's action...

the thing about Joss Whedon, I think he's a little fond of bay's talent and works.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2003/06/...-whedon?page=4

in that article, even though too old one(it's 9 years ago), he said "Actually, I'm a fan of Michael's. Best eyes in the business."

by the way about "sensation over explanation", I think he has right to tell that words.
    action scenes in The Avengers is impressive. these aren't something most unique or something hugest.
    but like what he said, he pretty focused on each character & situation in spectacular chaos. I liked it.

Actually, this is not about who's a "great action director". This thread is for quotes from people in the industry who are able to recognize Bay's movies/style. These days the stuff you read on the web about actors, directors, singers is mostly negative and sarcastic. It's good to have a balance.

Anyway, Whedon was influenced by Bay (as the article points out) and the "prettier" part was a nice, little compliment. And yes, his "dig" at Bay is correct, at least in my view - sometimes Bay's action is really about the "sensation over explanation". Sometimes, not always. So yeah, you can say that he's right about that. Same can be said about some of Tony Scott's action. Not to mention Stephen Sommers's action...
    Alright. I see your point now.

Words of wisdom. It's always great to hear truly smart people from the industry who, unlike 90% of the internet population, actually know how the industry works...and are able to see the big picture:

(thanks to Josh who showed me that video)

Words of wisdom. It's always great to hear truly smart people from the industry who, unlike 90% of the internet population, actually know how the industry works...and are able to see the big picture:

(thanks to Josh who showed me that video)
    Poor John Carter. The movie's source material gave us the tropes that inspired Avatar (and pretty much the whole modern science fiction/space fantasy genre in general), and it's perceived as an Avatar copy.

http://www.craveonline.com/film/revi...men-in-black-3

Barry Sonnenfeld (Filmmaker of "Men In Black" series)

You took quite a beating on Wild Wild West, but when you see movies like Transformers and Green Lantern, are you like, “Oh, come on!”?

"You know what? I haven’t seen Green Lantern. The thing about Transformers is that Michael Bay has his own genre and no one else can make that work..."

Actually I read it some months ago. But I guess it's good to share.

New and pretty good NY Times article - http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/21/mo...anted=all&_r=0

http://www.motherjones.com/media/201...-pain-and-gain

I think it's pretty good article.

Gotta love Russia.

Brad Fuller on Bay: "We grew up together. I’ve known him since we were 15 years old and then we went to college together."

On "Pain & Gain": "I love the movie. I thought Michael did a great job. I think he succeeded in trying to make a movie about pretty difficult people to watch and made them worth watching, which isn’t an easiest thing to do."

Here's the whole interview (he also talks about "The Purge", "Ninja Turtles" and the future of PD and horror films in general)

- http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/fea...er-brad-fuller

I recently saw "Furious 7" and I thought to myself "Wow, this really looks like a Michael Bay movie. Especially the camera work."

And surprise, surprise: turns out Bay is one of the reasons why James Wan got into filmmaking.

Wan:

"I got into filmmaking because I grew up a big fan of directors like Steven Spielberg, James Cameron and Michael Bay. The chance to finally exercise that [blockbuster action] muscle feels exciting and liberating."

- http://assets.complex.com/pop-cultur...-wan-interview

That's awesome! You can definitely tell the influence Bay has had on all genre of film imo. Happy to see those select few that have no problem admitting that they love his filmmaking and style. In Hollywood all the pro's know how good he is at filmmaking, few come out and admit it. Thanks for the share, always enjoy reading articles like that.

Quote Originally Posted by BrunnerD View Post
    Happy to see those select few that have no problem admitting that they love his filmmaking and style. In Hollywood all the pro's know how good he is at filmmaking, few come out and admit it.

There are more than a few. I'm a regular podcast listener (there are like 10 diferent podcasts I listen to) and I've heard from many, many podcasters and guests from the industry (writers, comedians, actors...) some very flattering things about Bay's ability as a filmmaker. Some quick examples: Adam Carolla is known to rant about pretty much everything in the world, constantly, and he hates most Hollywood movies. Just listen to his podcasts. And yet...he is a Bay fan and he really likes "Transformers 1" and especially "Armageddon".

Kevin Smith said on one of his podcasts with Scott Mosier (SModcast) that in terms of box office and influence "Bay is the modern-day Steven Spielberg".

And last but not least, Anthony Hopkins himself recently said this: "He (Bay) is a genius. He really is. He's the same ilk as Oliver Stone, Spielberg and Scorsese. He's a savant."

And before some people dismiss that as a way of simply promoting "The Last Knight", let me remind you that Hopkins had worked with tons of different directors from all over the globe, and this is one of the very, very, very, very few times he calls a filmmaker "a genius". In other words, you have to earn that Hopkins-praise. Because he's not just going around calling every director he works with a genius and a savant.

Bottom line is this: filmmakers, film fans and film critics know very well that Bay is great at what he does. No matter what some of them say or write. It's impossible to survive in this industry for more than 20 years if you're a complete hack.