Thread: "The Oral History of Michael Bay"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mind: California. Body: Between US & Europe.

Arrow "The Oral History of Michael Bay"

"James Cameron says he has studied his films and “reverse engineered” them. Ben Affleck and screenwriter Roberto Orci call Bay an auteur because his visual style is so distinct. Steven Spielberg says “he has the best eye for multiple levels of pure visual adrenaline” and as we all know Christopher Nolan is a fan as well."

Sounds good to me...

Here's the entire article - http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...history_by_gq/
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

Default Re: "The Oral History of Michael Bay"

Quote Originally Posted by Bayhem View Post
    "James Cameron says he has studied his films and “reverse engineered” them. Ben Affleck and screenwriter Roberto Orci call Bay an auteur because his visual style is so distinct. Steven Spielberg says “he has the best eye for multiple levels of pure visual adrenaline” and as we all know Christopher Nolan is a fan as well."

Sounds good to me...

Here's the entire article - http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...history_by_gq/
    Bonus round: Fuller also used to be Bay's executive assistant and they both went to Crossroads together as well.

You're welcome.

:doffs hat, disappears in a cloud of smoke:
    "When you make something no one hates, no one loves it." - Tibor Kalman

Can I read the GQ article somewhere online? Can I? Can I?

You can find an article archived somewhere on the site of "Watching Movies With" Michael where he watches West Side Story and comments on it.

I have read alot of interview where people comment Michael Bay and remember anyone having ill will toward him.

Except Bruce Will. Wouln't know why though Kevin Smith says he such a joy to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Regressor View Post
    Wouln't know why though Kevin Smith says he such a joy to work with.

Wrong info. Way wrong.

Smith and Willis couldn't stand each other on the set of "Cop Out". And yes, it was Willis' fault. According to the crew, the guy didn't care about that movie at all, and he didn't want to follow Smith's direction.

Smith talked about it many times on SModcast - http://smodcast.com/getold/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Regressor View Post
    Can I read the GQ article somewhere online?

If I'm not mistaken, it'll be published online next week.
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

Wrong info. Way wrong.

Smith and Willis couldn't stand each other on the set of "Cop Out". And yes, it was Willis' fault. According to the crew, the guy didn't care about that movie at all, and he didn't want to follow Smith's direction.
    Yeah, I'm quite aware. I watched to Smith's stand-up. I was being sarcastic. Kevin was axtually intimidated to give Willis directions.

Bruce Willis is a dick. He also was never there as a stand-in in counter shots, to help other actors act off him.

If I'm not mistaken, it'll be published online next week.
    Thanks about that.

One more thing Michael had Ben Affleck fix his teeth, but advised Steve Bushemi against it.

Well said!
    When i Transform i release rockets with nanobot-viruses that destroys you from within... the fuel inside you will turn into acid, metal will melt instantly...
    I'm a decepticon and my name is _____ All Hail Megatron!

Thumbs up Re: "The Oral History of Michael Bay"

This...this is so true:

"Trailers run 2 1/2 minutes and feature the best parts of the movie. They're the best shots, the best effects, the most thrilling moments, the zinger lines. If you look at a Michael Bay movie, you're watching 2 1/2 hours of money shots and quotable tag lines. Every shot is designed to send tingles up your spine. When I watch a Michael Bay feature, I feel like I'm watching a full-length trailer. He manages to sustain that level of breathtaking awe for feature length -- and then some."

It's not part of the "Oral History", but it's a great article and I have a feeling that even though it's posted here some folks might have missed it (I know I missed it). So here it is - read the whole thing, it's worth it:

- http://michaelbay.com/media/articles/036/036.html

That quote was amazing...it sent tingles down my spine. Could not have described a Bay film any better. Thanks for sharing. I also loved the article

Kevin Smith: "Michael Bay is the modern-day Steven Spielberg." (in terms of influence and success)

- SModcast: http://smodcast.com/channels/smodcast/

Joss Whedon, director of "The Avengers": "I don’t think of myself as anything resembling a great action director. The Bay stuff is ten times prettier than mine."

- http://www.slashfilm.com/film-interv...-the-avengers/

Joss Whedon, director of "The Avengers": "I don’t think of myself as anything resembling a great action director. The Bay stuff is ten times prettier than mine."

- http://www.slashfilm.com/film-interv...-the-avengers/
    Good thing you provided those links, because here's what Joss Whedon really said:

You know the Bay stuff is 10 times prettier than mine, but very much about the sensation over the sort of explanation and for me it's very important that we know why our people are doing what they are doing and where they are and what the situation is and how I can make it worse. So I don't think of myself as anything resembling a great action director, but I do love iconic imagery.
    No where did I interpret that as "Michael Bay is a great action director." The "great action director" part could have been referring to James Cameron for all we know.

It's okay to quote people on Michael Bay, but don't quote mine.