Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "The Oral History of Michael Bay"

Heart: California. Body: Between US & Europe.

Arrow "The Oral History of Michael Bay"

"James Cameron says he has studied his films and “reverse engineered” them. Ben Affleck and screenwriter Roberto Orci call Bay an auteur because his visual style is so distinct. Steven Spielberg says “he has the best eye for multiple levels of pure visual adrenaline” and as we all know Christopher Nolan is a fan as well."

Sounds good to me...

Here's the entire article - http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...history_by_gq/
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

Default Re: "The Oral History of Michael Bay"

Quote Originally Posted by Bayhem View Post
    "James Cameron says he has studied his films and “reverse engineered” them. Ben Affleck and screenwriter Roberto Orci call Bay an auteur because his visual style is so distinct. Steven Spielberg says “he has the best eye for multiple levels of pure visual adrenaline” and as we all know Christopher Nolan is a fan as well."

Sounds good to me...

Here's the entire article - http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...history_by_gq/
    Bonus round: Fuller also used to be Bay's executive assistant and they both went to Crossroads together as well.

You're welcome.

:doffs hat, disappears in a cloud of smoke:
    "When you make something no one hates, no one loves it." - Tibor Kalman

Can I read the GQ article somewhere online? Can I? Can I?

You can find an article archived somewhere on the site of "Watching Movies With" Michael where he watches West Side Story and comments on it.

I have read alot of interview where people comment Michael Bay and remember anyone having ill will toward him.

Except Bruce Will. Wouln't know why though Kevin Smith says he such a joy to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Regressor View Post
    Wouln't know why though Kevin Smith says he such a joy to work with.

Wrong info. Way wrong.

Smith and Willis couldn't stand each other on the set of "Cop Out". And yes, it was Willis' fault. According to the crew, the guy didn't care about that movie at all, and he didn't want to follow Smith's direction.

Smith talked about it many times on SModcast - http://smodcast.com/getold/index.html

Can I read the GQ article somewhere online?

If I'm not mistaken, it'll be published online next week.
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

Wrong info. Way wrong.

Smith and Willis couldn't stand each other on the set of "Cop Out". And yes, it was Willis' fault. According to the crew, the guy didn't care about that movie at all, and he didn't want to follow Smith's direction.
    Yeah, I'm quite aware. I watched to Smith's stand-up. I was being sarcastic. Kevin was axtually intimidated to give Willis directions.

Bruce Willis is a dick. He also was never there as a stand-in in counter shots, to help other actors act off him.

If I'm not mistaken, it'll be published online next week.
    Thanks about that.

One more thing Michael had Ben Affleck fix his teeth, but advised Steve Bushemi against it.

I've heard that Michael and Bruce Willis supposedly had a falling out or they just didnt get along very well on the set of Armageddon. Any truth to this? I've always heard mixed comments about it.

WOw thats pretty great to read. Thanks for posting that. Its great to hear what some of Bay's friends, family, and co-workers have to say about him. The man is a visionary and an icon in the world of Hollywood and filmmaking.

Michael:

"I don't change my style for anybody. Pussies do that."

This should be on the front page.

great read! the part about shia's eye really touched me!

Wow. I don't normally like to read, but I stayed up way past my bedtime reading every quote from that GQ article!!! But why were there no quotes from "The Island"? I really want to know what happened with that movie. It wasn't a bad movie. It just wasn't great. And I hear it wasn't as good as the screenplay. Anyhow, great post!!

Just wanna add one more person into the mix...

Jason Reitman ( really cool guy in real life, by the way ), director of "Juno", "Up in the Air" and "Thank you for Smoking": "I like Michael Bay...he is a really impressive director."

July 12 episode - http://smodcast.com/perdiem/index.html

Just wanna add one more person into the mix...

Jason Reitman ( really cool guy in real life, by the way ), director of "Juno", "Up in the Air" and "Thank you for Smoking": "I like Michael Bay...he is a really impressive director."

July 12 episode - http://smodcast.com/perdiem/index.html
    Jason Reitman is one of most talented young filmmakers in hollywood today.
    It's really great to know that he appreciates Bay.

Michael:

This should be on the front page.
    That quote is great. I love it. Definetly front page material.

After reading through this oral history its good to know that alot of people in hollywood and all over the world respect and admire Bay for the great director he is. Its great to read alot of positive comments about him and to see that he gets the respect he deserves.

BwaahahahaHAHAHAHAHA hubba hubba
    Holy shit, Frances McDormand's piece is fucking hilarious. Really well done!!1111

About the GQ thing itself, it is really interesting, thanks for posting about it, Regressor!

Even James Cameron and Nolan dig Bay

great...

I found pretty interesting article. It's about Ingmar Bergman. He was seriously one of the greatest filmmakers ever. His acclaimed films like Persona, Wild Strawberries, The Seventh Seal are about life and death. god and human, belief and doubt etc. He looked like serious philosopher in filmmaking world. But...

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/musi...r-bergman.html

“Apparently before he died, Bergman said he really enjoyed ‘Sex and the City’ and ‘Armageddon,’”

It looks pretty unusual and funny. But, as Bay's fan, it's great thing.

Quote Originally Posted by greensmoke View Post
    “Apparently before he died, Bergman said he really enjoyed ‘Sex and the City’ and ‘Armageddon,’”
    Interesting.

Thanks for sharing.

And...here's Michael Biehn talking (briefly) about Bay and Cameron - http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/1036...he_victim.html

Bruce Willis is a dick. He also was never there as a stand-in in counter shots, to help other actors act off him.

Speaking of Willis...

I'm now reading Kevin Smith's book "Tough Sh*t: Life Advice from a Fat, Lazy Slob Who Did Good" and it's shocking. A must-read. Willis was a complete nightmare. Not a dick, not a primadona. Nightmare. He literally didn't wanna be there, he was complaining openly that -ready for this - he was not receiving enough money from his movies, he didn't respect the other actors and at one point he asked Smith if he (Smith) wanted to hit him the face. And that's because he (Willis) didn't get a simple joke.

"Big, stupid jerk" was the way Smith described him. And he ended the story of "Bruce Willis on the set of Cop Out" with "Yippee ki-yay, movie fucker".

I've always liked Willis as an actor, but after reading the stuff in the book it's very hard to respect him. One can only imagine what was it like on the "Armageddon" set...

Was nice and fun reading all of this about Michael great to know this stuff

George Lucas (director): Michael's films are immediately identifiable.
    Someone jealous here..?

I liked:

Michael Bay: I'm, like, a true American.
    and this was also great..

Harriet Bay (mother): He was the lead, singing Frederic. I never laughed so hard in my life.
    What a fun mom hehe :P

Bay: I was into these very advanced trains sets, with towns and cities and whatever, the detail of it. I remember my parents came to me: "Michael, we think you need to get outside more." And I'm thinking, "Am I fucked up?"
    So funny lol :P
    When i Transform i release rockets with nanobot-viruses that destroys you from within... the fuel inside you will turn into acid, metal will melt instantly...
    I'm a decepticon and my name is _____ All Hail Megatron!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Vv0E...eature=mh_lolz

Nicolas Winding Refn, who directed one of most critically acclaimed films in 2011, "Drive"
    He briefly said about Michael Bay. From 40min interview. 34:25 - 35:26.
    Actually I'm not good at english, so I couldn't listen what he exactly said.
    could you guys write what he said, anyone?