Thread: I tested a real IMAX in preparation for DOTM. Not too happy.

Default I tested a real IMAX in preparation for DOTM. Not too happy.

I found the experience too up close for comfort. I was seating in the middle and toward the back and still was bothered by the experience. It was hard to follow what was happening. This was for a 2D movie, Fast Five. The only part that I enjoyed was the sound. The seats were also terrible and made my butt hurt after about an hour. I am gonna give it one more test and watch Cars 2 in 3D and then if it is still bothersome I will watch DOTM at a regular Carmike or Regal movie theater.

Default Re: I tested a real IMAX in preparation for DOTM. Not too happy.

I had that problem. I went to see The Dark Knight at my local IMAX, and I was not impressed. I saw the Harry Potter movie that year in the same IMAX, and just didn't care for it. When Transformer Revenge of the Fallen came out, I went out of my way to another IMAX theater, and the atmosphere was much better and made way for a better experience. So, it might depend on your theater. Try another IMAX location if you can. I'm actually driving an hour away from home to the biggest theater in my state just for DOTM!

Weird, I never feel uncomfortable watching films in IMAX. Saw Fast Five, ROTF, The Dark Knight, and Inception in IMAX and each of those films created a great experience! Far better than a standard viewing. I'm confident that DOTM will impress in IMAX!
    "I BELIEVE WHATEVER DOESN'T KILL YOU, SIMPLY MAKES YOU.....STRANGER."

I implore everyone who invests in an IMAX viewing to thoroughly research their theatre first and verify that it is a TRUE IMAX. Many IMAX branded theatres are NOT true IMAX.

Here's a good resource to learn more about this issue including a google map showing true IMAX locations:

http://destroyfakeimax.blogspot.com/...locations.html
    "When you make something no one hates, no one loves it." - Tibor Kalman

Oh, thank heavens for that link, redqueenar. Luckily, the IMAX theater I'm attending is Real IMAX.
    I didn't even know all this about IMAX and real IMAX.

Banned

i just saw it in the worlds 3rd largest "true" Imax 3D screen and it was awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by redqueenar View Post
    I implore everyone who invests in an IMAX viewing to thoroughly research their theatre first and verify that it is a TRUE IMAX. Many IMAX branded theatres are NOT true IMAX.

Here's a good resource to learn more about this issue including a google map showing true IMAX locations:

http://destroyfakeimax.blogspot.com/...locations.html
    Actually, the OP sounds exactly like my first (and only) experience at a TRUE IMAX location...Well at least as far as the comfort goes. And I could see how some would not appreciate the "closeness" of a true IMAX.

Quote Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
    Actually, the OP sounds exactly like my first (and only) experience at a TRUE IMAX location...Well at least as far as the comfort goes. And I could see how some would not appreciate the "closeness" of a true IMAX.
    The key is to sit as far in the back as you can. It's supposed to fill your field of vision (as though it were actually happening to scale in front of you) but not to strain your neck up or down. And the sound is really the best because the speakers are big enough. I know that broken seats (reclines too far back) are a problem with IMAX theatres. I've encountered that myself. It's unfortunate.
    "When you make something no one hates, no one loves it." - Tibor Kalman