Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CGI Models from movie to movie

Default Re: CGI Models from movie to movie

The CGI in RoTF looked just as good as TF1 to me.

Both movies had some spotty parts. Rotf moreso I guess because of the time squeeze.

TF1:
    Brawl/Devastator in TF1, when he gets shot and dies. I'm at a lost to come up with anymore at the moment.

ROTF:
    Just about any scene with the Twins.
    When Ravage is running towards the military base.
    The part when Demolisher wrecks.

But I think the CGI in these films trumps anything else I've seen. I have yet to see Avatar though.
    Driller-bot is thirsty.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisgroy View Post
    Something I have noticed...

TF1 - CGI models looked natural, blended in with the environment.
    TF2 - CGI models were too reflective, looked unnatural and didn't blend in with the envorinment.

What do people think about the CGI models from the trailers we have seen from the 3rd?
    OP battle against the Fallen when he said give me your face I rise u fall the cgi looks more like a video game rather than the realistic touch like it did throughout the whole movie..
    You may loose your faith in us,but never in yourselves

Quote Originally Posted by vipe99 View Post
    when the soldiers get called in and pretend the c 130 is going down

I remember

To be honest I don't think the CGI on that was too bad, mind you, I was obviously seeing mainly the GFR's so I didn't and won't really notice something like that being poor

I wanted to comment back on this since DOTM is out and I have seen it a few times.

The CGI models are SO much better for this movie. The blend in better with the environment as opposed to ROTF. They are not as reflective as ROTF, more in line with the first movie.

thoughts?

I wanted to comment back on this since DOTM is out and I have seen it a few times.

The CGI models are SO much better for this movie. The blend in better with the environment as opposed to ROTF. They are not as reflective as ROTF, more in line with the first movie.

thoughts?
    The CG was just balls out amazing in this. Not a single bit of it looked rushed.

Of course, considering the movie takes place in mostly urban areas, the robots were able to blend in with a more familiar environment.

Sand makes robots look fake.

Something I have noticed...

TF1 - CGI models looked natural, blended in with the environment.
    TF2 - CGI models were too reflective, looked unnatural and didn't blend in with the envorinment.

What do people think about the CGI models from the trailers we have seen from the 3rd?
    You know what? Im so glad that you mentioned this cuz I thought I was going crazy. After the 2nd half of ROTF, I felt that the CG models/animations were just not that great and they started looking less photo-realistic.

They looked great in TF1 but ROTF really had me wondering what happened at ILM. But DOTM is by far their best job ever
    Transformers 4 Movie Updates on Youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/TheRaginNation

This thread is useless without pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
    This thread is useless without pictures!
    You don't need pics. Watch ROTF and then go see DOTM. I think it's pretty obvious. Pay close attention to the level of reflection on the robots between the movies.

ILM's problem in all of they're films is they never grade the CGI to me. Yeah they may Roto Matte passes, create dust simulations, etc. But they never add a grade node in Nuke to make everything blend. Grading is correcting the white and black points on CG or live action so the blacks on the CG have the same intensity as the blacks on the Live Action. They dont seem to do this and as a result alot of they're CGI pops out of the background (they're backgrounds at times seem to have a white out but the CGI is crystal clear and very sharp). I've noticed this with Davy Jones in Pirates aswell as Transformers (all 3 of them).

Also simple things like colour correcting the CGI (in Nuke, you view the comp in a red channel, blue channel, green channel, etc which shows up like a black and white image. This acts as a visual histogram over the image). Then you adjust the red on the CGI so it matches the saturation and colour levels and intensity on the live action. A few things like this seem to go past ILM and it baffles me