Thread: Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Default Who Framed Roger Rabbit

One of my all time favorites! who else saw this in theaters back in 1988? it was an amazing experience on the big screen back then, i was 7 in that summer and saw it a wholopping 6 times with different relatives. I had nearly all the merchandise as i was obsessed with the movie for a year.

Jessica Rabbit i had the hots for and still do have a thing for her as she is probably the hottest and realistic toon girl of all time that every guy goes for. Christopher Lloyd was quite creepy as Judge Doom and i think this is my favorite of Zemeckis's movies besides the Back to the Future Trilogy.

I heard rumors of the long awaited sequel to be made, i hope it's true.

Default Re: Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Dude, i loved that movie, was great!

But jezus this scared the shit out of me back then:

That was one scary scene/ending. and that walsing truck running over him was scary as hell for me back then!
    When i Transform i release rockets with nanobot-viruses that destroys you from within... the fuel inside you will turn into acid, metal will melt instantly...
    I'm a decepticon and my name is _____ All Hail Megatron!

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingheart View Post
    Dude, i loved that movie, was great!

But jezus this scared the shit out of me back then:

That was one scary scene/ending. and that walsing truck running over him was scary as hell for me back then!

omg, what an incredible film! I definitely have to watch this sometime again soon.
    "...fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing." - Optimus <3

This another one of my favorite films of all time.

It is also the single best example of one of the best visual effects jobs ever on a film. The animators and ILM did superb work on this. By the way, does anybody else know what the VFX phrase 'bumping the lamp' means? If you do, you get my applause.
    Ya just wanna die for the guy. Now that's leadership... Or brainwashing or something.

Toon town was messed up. It was really crazy, not a place I'd want to visit. I saw the film on TV a few years after it was release, and it was enjoyable film.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."
    -John Wayne (The Shootist)

I was talking about this movie with some co-workers today. When was the last time they did the traditional animation and live action mix? Space Jams or something?

Robert Zemeckis Just Waiting For Go-Ahead On 'Roger Rabbit' Sequel
    Robert Zemeckis Sets Up The 3D Roger Rabbit Sequel Thatís Just Waiting For Disneyís Green Light
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendon Connelly
    Iíve never met a Robert Zemeckis film I donít like, and many of them I love. I was prompted to recently revisit Who Framed Roger Rabbit by a friend who said the shine had gone off of it for him, at least a little.

I didnít agree. I still loved it. Itís flawed, sure, but thatís love for you. And Iíd certainly be more than happy for Zemeckis to get his long-planned sequel underway.

Heís recounted some details of what this sequel would entail in a new MTV interview:
    It would be done just like the first one. It would look the same way, but we would present it in 3-D in its release. I would do all of the animation hand-drawn; 2-D, but using 3-D tools. It wouldnít be like Pixar 3-D. It wouldnít look like thatÖ this would again be another period movie.
    The script is in with Disney at the moment, with Zemeckis saying:
    Iím happy with the script. Itís very good. Itís written by the original writers, and itís good. [But Disney] is still thinking about it
    Pull your finger out, Mickey, and while youíre at it, re-release the original in 3D. Zemeckis says that tests have been done, and theyíre good:
    The only one [of my film's I'd convert to 3D is] Roger Rabbit, because you could really pull the animation out as a separate element. It would be very spectacular 3-D. As far as converting, the Back to the Future filmsÖ I donít see the point in that. But they did a test on Roger back in 2006, somewhere around then, and it looks really great.
    And a re-release would prove Rogerís box-office pull, Iím sure.

In the meantime, plans are afoot for a Blu-ray release of the film in 2013 Ė I previously posted the trailer. Hopefully that will be a big seller too.

Zemeckisí Flight is on release in the US now and is really rather good. The UK will get to see it in February.

A HUGE Roger Rabbit fan here, but I think I read somewhere that Bob Hoskins has retired from acting, and I really don't think they should do this without him.

io9:
    You'll Never See 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit' the Same Way After This Video
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhett Jones
    Robert Zemeckis has been hit or miss for almost two decades. But in the eighties, he was on fire. Along with Back to the Future, Who Framed Roger Rabbit is just one of those movies that remains great no matter how many years pass and its technical achievements are still a marvel. But why does it work so well?

From a storytelling perspective, Roger Rabbit was funny, unique and had some great performances from people like Bob Hoskins and Christopher Lloyd. But YouTuber, kaptainkristian is more interested in breaking down what sets the film apart from other movies that try to mix live-action with animation.

Movies like Mary Poppins and Cool World havenít aged as well as Roger Rabbit despite using basically the same techniques. One of the reasons for this, as kaptainkristian points out, is that itís extremely important for the actors to maintain a convincing eyeline with their animated counterparts. While itís important for the filming process to give the actors reasonable marks to focus their attention on, the most important factor is the animatorís ingenuity. If an actor misses where the eyeline would be for a character, the Roger Rabbit animators are constantly adjusting the actionómaking Roger stand his tippy toes or point a finger in the actors face.

Kaptainkristian identifies two other reasons that Zemeckisí deranged noir feels so much more immersive and alive than other hybrid films. One is that thereís constant interaction between animated characters and the real world. Special devices had to be built to move a real gun, wave a real cigar or spit water. Then the animators would step in and draw the characters seamlessly interacting with the props or grabbing an actors lapel.

The third key ingredient that makes the film so convincing is the unrestrained use of camera movement. Too often, filmmakers have gone easy on the animators. Keeping the camera stationary means that they donít have to make too many adjustments to the perspective, especially when a character is kept on a single plain. Roger Rabbit is constantly using moving images and shifting blocking, which creates a greater illusion that what weíre seeing was just filmed like any other movie.

Check out the whole breakdown in the video. Itís definitely worth watching for all of the detailed examples and behind the scenes footage. But a warning to the more obsessive types out there: youíre guaranteed to be looking for the flaws every time you re-watch the film for the rest of your life.

[kaptainkristian]