Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arnold back for Terminator 5?

Default Terminator Genisys Trilogy

Variety:
    ‘Terminator’ Sequels to be Released in 2017, 2018
    The studio has dated “Terminator 2″ for May 19, 2017, and “Terminator 3″ on June 29, 2018.

THR:
    Paramount Unveils Release Dates for 'Terminator' Sequels
    The two films will be filmed back to back, provided Genisys works, according to insiders.

Default Re: Arnold back for Terminator 5?

I'm liking the choice to cast Khaleesi

As for T5, as long as they pull off the kind of magic that they did in T1 and T2, then it should be a great film.

I hope T5 will be the 'rebound' everyone's been waiting for in the Terminator franchise. Just like Transformer 4 pulled off a TF1 style and rebounded from TF2 and TF3.

They Should Have Led With This TERMINATOR GENISYS Trailer
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin Faraci
    I don't fully understand this trailer.

Loved the trailer!

I loved T2: Judgement Day, so I love all the time travel in this one! T-1000 again YEAH!! Best villain ever in the Terminator movie franchise!!

Just as I predicted last year, I thought that T5 would flop at the box office. Well, it nearly did that and now Paramount and Skydance aren't so sure to give a green light to the two remaining movies of the planned trilogy. What's the main reason for the poor box office results of T5? Without a doubt the confusing timeline story! They tried to make a T1 & T2 combo movie and it just failed big time story wise. The action was good, but I think the story was too confusing for most people who has seen the movie. Now Paramount and Skydance have a big decision to make. What to do? To pull the plug and save hundreds of millions of dollars or take a gamble with the two remaining movies of the planned trilogy and hope that they will be blockbusters and bring a boat load of money to the studios? My bet is that this was the last time we saw Arnold as the Terminator on the big screen. Considering what the financial situation is in the whole world, the movie company's just can't take the chance of losing that much money on a franchise that seems to be nearly dead. Arnold said the classic phrase "I'll be back" in T5. I'll say, no you won't. At least not for the 2017 and 18 release dates that's currently on the table...
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...dilemma-810106

Default Re: The Terminator Franchise

COLLIDER MARCH 21, 2017:
    A Major ‘Terminator’ Franchise Announcement Is Coming in 2017, Says Skydance’s David Ellison
    Ellison spoke briefly about the "bright future" of the 'Terminator' franchise.

THR MARCH 30, 2017:
    The Terminator Comes to Hollywood to Destroy Old Copyright Grants
    From a mockumentary classic to an Oscar winning best picture, studios are fighting to hold onto properties from hungry authors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eriq Gardner
    In James Cameron's sci fi classic, The Terminator, a cyborg is sent back in time to assassinate. Something similar is playing out in Hollywood at the moment thanks to a mid-1970s change to copyright law that allows authors or their heirs to terminate a copyright grant. And like the film, there's resistance.

When Congress decided to extend the copyright term in 1976, it chose to recognize those who had created works at the early stage of their careers but handed their rights over without much bargaining power. By allowing authors to serve notices of termination to publishers or studios, those authors were allowed to enjoy the benefits of the latter stages of a copyright term. Authors just had to wait at least 35 years for another bite at the apple. As Arnold Schwarzenegger would say, "I'll be back."

The time is now for many authors, and what first created hassles in the music industry has slowly crept into the purview of filmmaking just as major studios are in the midst of reboot mania. Even The Terminator itself appears be the subject of a termination battle judging by an only partly-informed Deadline story reporting a "copyright reversion" 35 years after the release of the 1984 film. Sources close to Cameron refuse to discuss what's happening, citing ongoing negotiations.

Studios will, of course, fight back.

Deadline January 20, 2017:
    He’s Back! James Cameron To Godfather ‘Terminator’ With ‘Deadpool’ Helmer Tim Miller
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Fleming Jr
    EXCLUSIVE: He’ll be back! James Cameron, who regains certain rights to his prized creation The Terminator in 2019, is godfathering a new iteration of the film that might finally get it right in drawing a close in the battle between humans and Skynet. Sources said that Cameron, whose copyright reversion happens 35 years after the release of the 1984 classic, is in early talks with Deadpool director and VFX wiz Tim Miller to direct a reboot and conclusion of one of cinema’s great science fiction tales.

David Ellison, whose Skydance co-financed Terminator Genisys, is bankrolling an exploratory effort that includes engaging some top-flight science fiction authors to find the movie creatively. Ellison still holds many Terminator rights, after his 2013 acquisition from sister and Annapurna principal Megan Ellison. She bought them in 2011 at Cannes for $20 million.

This is the latest development in an ongoing saga. Indeed, The Terminator might have endured the craziest road of any billion-dollar movie franchise, going back to when Cameron — who only had Piranha 2 under his belt as director — sold rights to his scripted project for $1 to producer Gale Anne Hurd, with the stipulation he could not be fired as director. The result was a 1984 sci-fi classic that launched his star and that of Arnold Schwarzenegger. Cameron came back and topped himself to write and direct he blockbuster Terminator 2: Judgment Day, but he washed his hands of the property after that. He mentioned to producers Mario Kassar and Andy Vajna his plans to buy the rights back from Carolco bankruptcy. They beat him to the punch, figuring he would still participate, but Cameron responded by walking away. He didn’t participate in the three films that followed, or the TV show The Sarah Connor Chronicles. The rights ended up with Pacificor, which paid $29.5 million, and Megan Ellison bought them after that company floundered.