Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spam

Default Spam

I can't believe the amount of spam and/or spam robots trying to get into s4te.

Out of the 50 joining request I got today, at least 50% were spam. That can be a bit overwhelming.

Since I have human verification as a sign up process, like "2 plus 4 is...," or "which color is darker, blue or yellow?" is seems these spam bots are getting smarter or there are actual people signing up.

And some of the spam bots can actually carry a thread discussion. If you're lucky to see one, their comments are usually vague and have a link to buy fake Rolexes as their signature.

If you catch spammers, please PM ASAP.

Thanks.

:wtf

Default Re: Spam

Quote Originally Posted by nelson View Post

Out of the 50 joining request I got today, at least 50% were spam. That can be a bit overwhelming.

Since I have human verification as a sign up process, like "2 plus 4 is...," or "which color is darker, blue or yellow?" is seems these spam bots are getting smarter or there are actual people signing up.

And some of the spam bots can actually carry a thread discussion. If you're lucky to see one, their comments are usually vague and have a link to buy fake Rolexes as their signature.
    Thanks for the info nelson, I'm keeping my eyes open
    I'll tell you if I see one!
    Don't expect everyone to always agree with you

frenzy don't know when to quit..JK it's sad when spambots shows up
    Optimus Prime. Never disappoints... Unlike YOU, Starscream!

Wow, only 25 out of 50? One actor's forum has 120 + spam users sign up every day!

Pests... the owner locked it down so you need to log in to log in it got so bad! o.0
    "to punish and enslave"

nelson i saw that when i tried to sign up again the human verification good idea

The way spambot automatically copies and pastes others' posts as if they're actually joining conversations really surprises me.

Thanks.

I know what you are going through I have spammers constanly trying to join. Thankfully I can catch them pretty fast on The Shadow Realm and I have a good team that helps. If I have problem spammers I will send you the info I get so you can watch out for them.
    "Call me a traitor...I'm just collecting your victims..." Paramore Monster

We don't have that many spammers anymore Shade...I think we scared them away

If Ii see any spammers I will inform you, Nelson
    Those, who deny freedom to others, deserve it not for themselves. Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by DK Prime View Post
    We don't have that many spammers anymore Shade...I think we scared them away

If Ii see any spammers I will inform you, Nelson
    ha you just watch, they come like swarms of bees...Karen, Oh and Nelson I do have something that might help ya catch them before they strike. Its called Stop forum Spam. Here is the link.
    http://www.stopforumspam.com/search

We use it all the time and we can catch problem spammers and catch usernames that are bad signs. Hope it helps

Quote Originally Posted by nightshade View Post
    ha you just watch, they come like swarms of bees...Karen, Oh and Nelson I do have something that might help ya catch them before they strike. Its called Stop forum Spam. Here is the link.
    http://www.stopforumspam.com/search

We use it all the time and we can catch problem spammers and catch usernames that are bad signs. Hope it helps

Must be when I'm not online, I haven't busted one in a good while lol.
    Those, who deny freedom to others, deserve it not for themselves. Abraham Lincoln

hehe thats because Cass beats ya too it, she has radar eyes lol

I think they come in periodic waves. Like right now we're in a quiet period. They'll be back...and we'll be ready.

hehe thats because Cass beats ya too it, she has radar eyes lol

LOL yep must be that...or she is just more lucky

Trail.. yes you are right. They'll probably soon get your hands full in here, and we will on our site too

Senior Member I Fight Giant Robots's Avatar

Thanks.

How can you tell if someone is a spam??? are they people that work for other websites that try
    to get you to visit it or something? cause theres a lot of spam on youtube and stuff...its annoying!!!!
    I Fight Giant Robots

Yeah and I'm surprised by the huge amount of new members that this forum has. Especially after the Super Bowl trailer. Michael Bay surely has won many new fans on his side with the first shots from DOTM. This is great. Only 2 teasers but people already love and appreciate the result.

I Fight Giant Robots there are people like nelson said hey check this out.. i belong to different site someone posted about budda in a pm and there's no number of posts

some things that can give you a hint to a spammer is the user name and how odd it might be. if it has weird numbers in it, has some kind of hidden ad in it. And for admins and mods the tell tail signs can come from those using G-mail or some off name email that has limited spam control. and also the IP Address is another thing that is helpful in finding out if someone is a spammer.

Quote Originally Posted by megatron42 View Post
    I Fight Giant Robots there are people like nelson said hey check this out.. i belong to different site someone posted about budda in a pm and there's no number of posts
    what? im a little confused with what you're talking about
    I Fight Giant Robots

some things that can give you a hint to a spammer is the user name and how odd it might be. if it has weird numbers in it, has some kind of hidden ad in it. And for admins and mods the tell tail signs can come from those using G-mail or some off name email that has limited spam control. and also the IP Address is another thing that is helpful in finding out if someone is a spammer.
    alright, I gotcha. I haven't got spammed
    on here yet, but I get a lot of spam in my e mail
    everyday. Emails with the title of "Come in our store today
    and get one free! TODAY ONLY"
    then the next few days i got the SAME MESSAGE. haha i was like, "how dumb do
    you think i am?!?"
    I Fight Giant Robots

if you get spam like that in your emails you can block those emails from getting through just go into your security setting for who ever your email comes from and they have ways of blocking spam.

Quote Originally Posted by I Fight Giant Robots View Post

How can you tell if someone is a spam??? are they people that work for other websites that try
    to get you to visit it or something? cause theres a lot of spam on youtube and stuff...its annoying!!!!
    Spam also comes in many forms, one is the human element where it is a real person and then the re-captcha security at registering or the human verification doesn't work because it is a real person and they might be just nuisance people, then there are actual programs that are set up to hit forums and they are complex and do the same thing to all forums. If the person talks in gibberish or doesn't respond to you you should throw up a red flag and report the post and let an admin know it could be a spammer. I have been dealing with these pests on my forum for the last 4 years and it is hard so I can only imagine how tough it is here on Nelson as it is more active here with people registering all the time.

Also, very commonly-named users who have a history of registering themselves with a lot of forums within hours are pretty certainly spambots.

hehe thats because Cass beats ya to it, she has radar eyes lol
    That still holds very true...I am the spam buster on The Shadow Realm and deal with the pests on the forum. It is believed that I have very acute hearing or radar eyes/optics in terms of the spammers. Sometimes I have caught the pests in my sleep at least when I am suppose to be sleeping.

Most of the spammers have gmail account and an unusual username at least from what I have seen. In some cases, it is a hotmail account that has a spammer.

Like Nightshade indicated, www.stopforumspam.com is a true gift that helps to catch the spammers and at least know who is a spammer and who is a real person that is most likely not a spammer. However, a real person could be advertising something and they get paid to do it.

Sometimes people can report a potential spammer by looking at the account's profile. If there is a website or in the website that appears to be advertising something, there is a good chance that it is a spammer.

The way that I have been catching the pests on the Realm is by looking at Who's Online and I see them even though they are not visible on the forum's main page.
    "The difference between someone like Hot Rod and someone like me is that no one will ever know what I've done" ~Prowl

Spambots galore..

Quote Originally Posted by sora View Post
    Spambots galore..
    Yes, it seems these bots become more active once this site becomes more active.

I wonder if there is any correlation.