Thread: building a wooden shed

Default building a wooden shed

hi guys, anyone here ever gone through the task of building a wooden shed for himself? I am seriously considering it because i will eventually need one when my house is built and because it seems like a cool project to get into, and it sounds cheaper than buying those sheds you see for 1000+.

so if you have plans you used, cool step by step instructions, cost estimates, it would really be helpful!

Thanks guys!

Default Re: building a wooden shed

The cost really depends on who you get your supplies from. For example, my dad sometimes gets lumber from his cousin in return for helping with his sugaring business (my family produces maple syrup).

But yeah, these projects can be lots of fun as you can personalize your wood shed. I haven't built a shed before, but I've helped build a wooden deck off the edge of my pond.

My question is, what kind of floor/foundation do you plan to have? Dirt? Stone? Gravel? Concrete?

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbreaker View Post
    The cost really depends on who you get your supplies from. For example, my dad sometimes gets lumber from his cousin in return for helping with his sugaring business (my family produces maple syrup).

But yeah, these projects can be lots of fun as you can personalize your wood shed. I haven't built a shed before, but I've helped build a wooden deck off the edge of my pond.

My question is, what kind of floor/foundation do you plan to have? Dirt? Stone? Gravel? Concrete?
    i was thinking of a wooden floor on dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by CesarCardoso View Post
    i was thinking of a wooden floor on dirt.
    Well what you should do first is measure out the area you want it and dig some post holes for the four corners. Dig them about two feet deep and fill the bottom of them with some rocks for stability.

I think. I'm no expert on this. It doesn't hurt to Google these matters. Just saying.

Well what you should do first is measure out the area you want it and dig some post holes for the four corners. Dig them about two feet deep and fill the bottom of them with some rocks for stability.

I think. I'm no expert on this. It doesn't hurt to Google these matters. Just saying.
    thanks. i did google this but it feels better to discuss this with somebody. i'm open to ideas and past experiences

Quote Originally Posted by CesarCardoso View Post
    thanks. i did google this but it feels better to discuss this with somebody. i'm open to ideas and past experiences
    You should discuss it with a carpenter!

I've looked at some pics of stuff, and I've seen some that just have a simple rock foundation, just throw some slaps of rock under each corner to make it level. That way you can move your shed if you have to. You just gotta keep the wood off the ground so it doesn't rot.

I got some experience making things, making brick walls, some constructions with wood, doing floors, all kinds of stuff.

-Try not do have more than 2mm difference with cutting/placing things or else it will look sloppy.
    -Try saw and cutting things on a small piece for practice so you wont screw up while doing it for real on a big piece.
    -Dont waste material, it will cost you! so try and make more then one piece out of one big piece or lots of smaller pieces.
    -Try and keep everything level with a leveler.
    -Having the right tools for the job is half the work btw. (here you have some stores where you can barrow tools for a small cost per day or what ever, try finding that near you.

If your gonna live in this shed for the time being you might wanna think putting windows in it and maybe put something against the walls against the heat and/or cold and covering it up with another layer of wood maybe (is my geuss.)
    You can add so many things but the cost will go up, it depends on how luxurious you wanna have/make it?
    Can you give us an example of what you might wanna have when its finished?
    When i Transform i release rockets with nanobot-viruses that destroys you from within... the fuel inside you will turn into acid, metal will melt instantly...
    I'm a decepticon and my name is _____ All Hail Megatron!

You should discuss it with a carpenter!

I've looked at some pics of stuff, and I've seen some that just have a simple rock foundation, just throw some slaps of rock under each corner to make it level. That way you can move your shed if you have to. You just gotta keep the wood off the ground so it doesn't rot.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingheart View Post
    I got some experience making things, making brick walls, some constructions with wood, doing floors, all kinds of stuff.

-Try not do have more than 2mm difference with cutting/placing things or else it will look sloppy.
    -Try saw and cutting things on a small piece for practice so you wont screw up while doing it for real on a big piece.
    -Dont waste material, it will cost you! so try and make more then one piece out of one big piece or lots of smaller pieces.
    -Try and keep everything level with a leveler.
    -Having the right tools for the job is half the work btw. (here you have some stores where you can barrow tools for a small cost per day or what ever, try finding that near you.

If your gonna live in this shed for the time being you might wanna think putting windows in it and maybe put something against the walls against the heat and/or cold and covering it up with another layer of wood maybe (is my geuss.)
    You can add so many things but the cost will go up, it depends on how luxurious you wanna have/make it?
    Can you give us an example of what you might wanna have when its finished?
    Thanks, those are some excellent ideias. What i want is a very basic +/- 4m x 3m wood shed for storing tools and maybe a workshop so i dont get the house dirty.

Just make sure you elevate the floor. If you don't that will lead to flooding and rotting wood. Use treated lumber too. You could pour a concrete foundation just make sure to use rhebarb in the infrastructure for support. If not, then space your wooden 4x4 piers out accordingly to support the weight inside. A 4m x 3m shed will require more than just one post per corner. Your floor will bow from the pressure of you simply walking on it. Not to mention storing heavier equipment inside such as say a riding lawnmower. The wall studs should be spaced 2 feet apart. And any electrical wiring should be run through these and secured to a standard breaker box. Finally panel over the inside wall making sure to cut out for your plug ins. As far as the roof goes just remember to allow for ventilation. If you don't mildew and mold will form inside and make you very sick. Either leave your sophets open and screened over or cut a hole out up top for a roofing turbine (whirlybird). Good luck to you on your project.
    "Megatron, requesting permission to teleport"