Thread: Anyone seen Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (a.k.a. Warriors of the Wind)?

Default Anyone seen Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (a.k.a. Warriors of the Wind)?

Awesome 1984 animated Science Fiction Fantasy Action Adventure that marks as the debut of Studio Ghibli and Hayao Miyazaki after his flop Castle of Cogliostro, it became a box-office smash in Japan earning great reviews and even a Manga (comic book) came before it was released. It came here in the US in June 1985 from New World Pictures in a butchered re-edited dub that changed and re-edited some of the storyline and had a decent dub from voice actors like Hal Smith (Glumgold on Ducktales, Mr. Slate on The flintstones and many more) to He-Man actress Linda Gary and even Cam Clarke (The guy who voiced Leonardo on the classic Ninja Turtles show and Keneda in the original 1989 dub of Akira) as some of the characters's names were changed except for Lord Yupa. In fact Miyazaki left a U.S. theaters in tears after it was over because they butchered his masterpiece but kids of the 80's such as myself were introduced to Hayao Miyazaki and i saw this in theaters when i was 4 years old when i lived in St. Louis and loved it.

However in time when i was a teenager i saw an uncut fansub tape in my city's high school anime club and realized what a butchery Warriors of the Wind was but i did enjoyed the Warriors cut and owned it and i even taped the fansub tape in it's uncut version. But thank god for a brand new uncut dub in 2005 from Walt Disney Pictures with a great dub by Patrick Stewart, Chris Sarandon, Uma Thurman, Alison Lohmanm Edward James Olmos and Mark Hamil and remastering as well including recently re-released on Blu-Ray.

This film has became a cult fave among many years even by US filmmakers like Lucas, Spielberg to even James Cameron in which this movie was one of the inspirations to his new masterpiece. The story is set after a major war between special creatures and us causing a thousand years of darkness for some parts of the earth is beautiful yet has unbreathable toxic air when some parts are breathable for a warrior princess named Nausicaa must find some solutions on bringing the Earth back to the way it is until a rival kingdom wants to take over their kingdom as she finds love with a warrior from that kingdom and they both must save the world again from another doomsday. A very unique, well animated and complex feast for the eyes with enviromental themes and a good moral, most recommended.

Default Re: Anyone seen Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (a.k.a. Warriors of the Wind)?

might pick the bluray up tomorrow. Will see which store got it cheaper so i can use my Disney coupon on it
    Quote Originally Posted by Someone from IMDB
    Why does Will Smith always play a black man?

My Blu-ray collection.

Default Re: Anyone seen Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (a.k.a. Warriors of the Wind)?

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    Awesome 1984 animated Science Fiction Fantasy Action Adventure that marks as the debut of Studio Ghibli and Hayao Miyazaki after his flop Castle of Cogliostro
    I actually really enjoyed Castle of Cagliostro. Lupin

Well in Japan Miyazaki's debut Castle of Cogliostro was a flop but Nausicaa was a major blockbuster.

Have you seen Nausicaa Duracell? it's one of Avatar's inspirations and one of Cameron's favorite movies. That's what Nausicaa is a cross between Mad Max, Avatar, Star Wars and Princess Mononoke and has a great dub cast. If you like animated movies and Sci-fi check it out.

Forbes July 18, 2017:
    The Anime Movies Of Hayao Miyazaki Are Getting New Editions Later This Year
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie Barder
    With the 30th anniversary of My Neighbor Totoro looming, Gkids has partnered with Studio Ghibli to reissue many of its movies on DVD and Blu-ray later this year.

According to Variety, the first six movies set for reissue will be Spirited Away, Howl’s Moving Castle, Kiki’s Delivery Service, My Neighbor Totoro, Ponyo and Princess Mononoke on October 17.

This will then be followed by reissues of both Castle in the Sky and Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind on October 31.

While Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind is technically not a Studio Ghibli production, as it was made before the studio was formed, these reissues comprise the bulk of Hayao Miyazaki’s directorial output. The only major omissions here are Porco Rosso and The Wind Rises. However, it seems this new agreement with Gkids will include these titles but when they will be released remains to be seen.

For me, having Castle in the Sky in wider circulation again is only a good thing. It is the first movie made by Studio Ghibli and is my personal favorite. I recently reviewed the release of an artbook for the film and that too comes highly recommended.

The reason I love Castle in the Sky so much is that much like Future Boy Conan, it deals with the impact of ancient advanced technology on a modern world and is also has a very lean narrative.

The only worry with these new reissues, Castle in the Sky included, is that I hope we get all-new subtitles. The prior releases tended to err on the side of dubtitles and that would be a shame to see that happen with these new versions.

In any case, the works of Studio Ghibli and Hayao Miyazaki will be getting new DVD and Blu-ray editions this October and that makes me very happy indeed.
    Forbes September 27, 2016:
    'The Art Of Castle In The Sky' Book Review: A Beautiful Archive Of Studio Ghibli's Formative Work

Variety July 17, 2017:
    Reissues of Six Miyazaki Films in the Works From Studio Ghibli, Gkids
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave McNary
    Gkids is partnering with Studio Ghibli to handle the Japanese animation studio’s catalog in North America, including Hayao Miyazaki’s 2002 Academy Award winner “Spirited Away.”

The alliance was announced Monday and will start with the Oct. 17 reissue of new Blu-ray and DVD editions of six titles from Miyazaki: “Spirited Away” and Oscar-nominated film “Howl’s Moving Castle” along with “Kiki’s Delivery Service,” “My Neighbor Totoro,” “Ponyo” and “Princess Mononoke,” followed on Oct. 31 with “Castle in the Sky” and “Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind.”

The Studio Ghibli library is led by directors and studio co-founders Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata. Gkids has handled theatrical rights for the Studio Ghibli catalogue since 2010, and released “From Up on Poppy Hill,” “Only Yesterday,” “Ocean Waves” and the Academy Award-nominated titles “The Tale of The Princess Kaguya” and “When Marnie Was There.”

Gkids previously announced a partnership with Fathom Events to bring six Ghibli titles back to theaters nationwide this year including “Kiki’s Delivery Service,” which will play on July 23 and 24 in both dubbed and subtitled versions at approximately 600 theaters.

Other animation covered by the new agreement include “Porco Rosso,” directed by Hayao Miyazaki; “Pom Poko,” directed by Isao Takahata; “Whisper of the Heart,” directed by Yoshifumi Kondo; “My Neighbor the Yamadas,” directed by Isao Takahata; “The Cat Returns,” directed by Hiroyuki Morita; “Tales From Earthsea,” directed by Goro Miyazaki; and “The Secret World of Arrietty,” directed by Hiromasa Yonebayashi.