Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite movie he has directed?

Default Re: Favorite movie he has directed?

Transformers.

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen and Bad Boys 2
    "...fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing." - Optimus <3

Heart: California. Body: Between US & Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by kevski View Post
    The scene plays out to be an exciting part where the audience are expected to clap at the chicken bit and shooting down the Japanese. If the characters needed to be in action then cool, but not like that. The film portrays the Japansese as men of honour, going out to risk their lives for their country, and then all of a sudden were expected to be entertained whilst they are shot down.

Trust me, I know what you mean. But we have to look at the big picture here - that scene was just a small part of a long and complicated action sequence, involving a lot of different characters scattered all over the harbor. And basically, it was the last bit of the entire attack sequence.

After nearly 30 minutes of American soldiers dying in a horrific way, you need to see something hopeful, something to make you feel better, you know. And that hopeful thing was the "chicken" scene. The Japansese were indeed men of honor, no doubt about that, but at the end of day this was a sudden and brutal attack, and you would expect the other side to fight back. Yes, I realize that this scene might rub (some) people the wrong way, but I just think that it was the best way to end something as bad as the Pearl Harbor bombing.

Also, look at "Black Hawk Down" - it was a serious movie with a lot of violence, but at the same time it contained a lot of "cheer" moments and comedy.

The bottom line is: you need these moments in every war movie, because without them everything will be too damn depressing.
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

Transformers and The Rock

Senior Member I Fight Giant Robots's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crainy View Post
    Transformers.
    Transformers, and Revenge of the Fallen. FAVORITE MOVIES
    I Fight Giant Robots

1-The Rock:borat
    2-Transformers:borat
    3-Armageddon:borat
    4-Transformers 2
    5-The Island
    6-Bad Boys 2
    7-Bad Boys
    8-Pearl Habor

Senior Member I Fight Giant Robots's Avatar

i forgot to say that Revenge of the fallen is my favorite bay movie.
    (it beats tf1 for me)
    but both transformers are my favorite bay films, or just
    favorite movies in general out of any director :borat
    I Fight Giant Robots

The Island, Armageddon, Pearl Harbor and both Transformers

Transformers 1 + 2, Armageddon, Bad Boys II, and Pearl Harbor are my most favorite!
    "I BELIEVE WHATEVER DOESN'T KILL YOU, SIMPLY MAKES YOU.....STRANGER."

1. Transformers

2. Transformers - Revenge of the Fallen (even if the story is zero and total crap, but this was not a bit of savings to Action ^ ^)

3. Transformers - Dark of the Moon (although running with me still in theaters, but regardless, I know that I find him cool now xD.)

4. Bad Boys

5. Bad Boys 2

As for Pearl Harbor, I was just too much of it schmaltzy love, just as Titanic, 2 hours and just talk of the disaster had been maybe min 30. >.<

And then there was Nightmare on Elm Street, actually a series of films that I absolutely love, but alone, the actor was a total flop and caves badly to the Freddy Krueger of the playing.

I would say transformers and Bad Boys 2

Just responding to someone above. Danny and Rafe were based on true characters. Two men during the attack were the only pilots to get up during the attack. They shot down, I think if memory serves me, 7 Japanese planes. How people think we did not do the most through research boggles my mind.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by michaelbay View Post
    Just responding to someone above. Danny and Rafe were based on true characters. Two men during the attack were the only pilots to get up during the attack. They shot down, I think if memory serves me, 7 Japanese planes. How people think we did not do the most through research boggles my mind.

Michael
    Thanks Mr. Bay!

I remember seeing this in the bonus DVD about the making of the film.....thanks for the memory jog.
    "How Come the Decepticons have all the cool shit"

Just responding to someone above. Danny and Rafe were based on true characters. Two men during the attack were the only pilots to get up during the attack. They shot down, I think if memory serves me, 7 Japanese planes.

Exactly.

And that's what I was trying to explain - that there was a reason for that scene to be in the movie. It's not like it came out of nowhere.
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

Default Re: Update: Favorite movie he has directed?

They where George Welch and Kenneth Taylor.

Prior to the attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941, Taylor spent the night before playing poker and dancing at the officers' club at Wheeler with fellow pilot George Welch, and did not go to sleep until 6:30 a.m. local time on the day of the attack.[6] Taylor and Welch awoke less than an hour and a half later at 7:55 a.m. to the sound of low-flying planes, machine-gun fire, and explosions.[4] Lt. Taylor quickly put on his tuxedo pants from the night before and called Haleiwa Auxiliary air field where eighteen P-40B fighters were located.[7] Without orders, he told the ground crews to get two P-40 fighters armed and ready for takeoff.[8] The new Buick was strafed by Japanese aircraft as the two pilots sped the 10 miles to Haleiwa; Taylor at times reached speeds of 100 mph (160 km/h).[4][9] At the airstrip, they climbed into their Curtiss P-40B Warhawk fighters, which were fueled but armed with only .30 cal Browning ammo.

Continues here (Kenneth Taylor story)

George Welch

Michael
    While it's cool that Michael Bay responded to one of my posts, I clearly wasn't questioning the facts and research that had been made. I was just criticising the tone of that scene which I feel is out of place for my reasons stated.
    I've always defended Michael Bay against attacks that his films are full of stupid explosions, girls in underwear and mindless characters... but then he made Transformers 2 and I conceded...

Quote Originally Posted by kevski View Post
    I was just criticising the tone of that scene which I feel is out of place for my reasons stated.

Alright, I think we can agree on that: the scene itself was needed. Period. Whether the "tone" of the scene worked, that's clearly a matter of one's personal opinion. In my view, the scene worked, the tone worked, and it was something that I, as an audience member, wanted to see.

For you, it didn't work and there's nothing wrong with that...because at the end of the day we're all different. Sounds kinda corny, but that's the truth - when it comes to judging movies, music and art as a whole, we ( as human beings ) are indeed different.

And that's just the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayhem View Post
    Alright, I think we can agree on that: the scene itself was needed. Period. Whether the "tone" of the scene worked, that's clearly a matter of one's personal opinion. In my view, the scene worked, the tone worked, and it was something that I, as an audience member, wanted to see.

For you, it didn't work and there's nothing wrong with that...because at the end of the day we're all different. Sounds kinda corny, but that's the truth - when it comes to judging movies, music and art as a whole, we ( as human beings ) are indeed different.

And that's just the way it is.
    Extremely well said. I probably couldnt have said it better myself. As people we all have opinions, views, attitudes, and beliefs. And one of the great things about this forum is that we all can express our different opinions whether you agree with the others or not. As fans we all share our opinions, likes and dislikes on this forum.

Also I think it was great that Michael himself replied to this thread. I've only been on these forums for a month and have gotten a decent amount of feedback on most of my posts that I've made and that feels awesome and it feels even more great to have Michael reply to one of the threads that I originally started. Thanks to Michael and all that have replied and if anyone else wants to....keep the replies coming!

Gotta go with Transformers.

Pearl Harbor and Armageddon will always hold a soft spot in my heart. Pearl Harbor in particular is a cinematic masterpiece. It's clear Michael put a lot into that one. Anyone that mocks it clearly doesn't understand it or flat out never even saw it.
    Shoot for the impossible...
    ...Then do it.

"It's not easy being a Michael Bay fan. In contemporary society you could be an overweight, disabled, lesbian, African-American Jew who smokes, and still you wouldn't be as discriminated against as much as someone who positively adores Armageddon."

www.jesterpictures.com www.jarek.com

Talking Re: Update: Favorite movie he has directed?

My favorite movies by Bay are:

1. Transformers
    2. The Rock
    3. Bad Boys II
    4. Pearl Harbor
    5. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

Can't pick one.... so i'm going to have to pick both Bad Boys and both Transformers & ROTF (And i have no doubt that DOTM will join that list later in the year).

Out of interest, has Mr Bay mentioned his favourite move from all the ones he's directed?
    Don S Davis 1942-2008

Godspeed

I also have to agree that the scene in PH worked and the tone was perfect.

There's no minimizing the deaths and destruction that occurred at Pearl, but we also need to root for the small victories for ourselves and our morale. Ask any fighter pilot how they felt shooting down enemy aircraft after seeing friends die.

The dogfight scenes captured that perfectly, as of course did the scenes of the Doolittle raid.

Once again, for anyone who thinks Pearl is trite or stilted, I can only direct them to watch other films of the time, like the almost universally loved Thirty Seconds over Tokyo and compare the two; it's only when you're familiar with WWII films that you realize what a spectacular job Michael did.

I'll never forget reading about one reviewer belittling Michael for the scene about the friendship medals being attached to the bombs used in the Doolittle raid, being way too proud of himself about decrying the scene as made up to have done the research to find that it was in fact completely factual.

I'll have to say both Transformers films because I've been a fan since 1984 and have been so excited to see them in live action. That first viewing of TF1 was so magical.

Plus my wife and I chose music from ROTF, The Rock, Pearl Harbor and The Island to accompany our wedding video.. So I've got a soft spot for MB movies I guess. Either that or Zimmer and Jablonsky!

Ohh mann.. this is hard... ermm.. well at the time when i saw all these movies they were all number ones for me but ok...

1) Transformers, Pearl Harbor, Armageddon.
    2) The Rock, The Island, Transformers 2.
    3) Bad Boys (because its the oldest now, but still a fun and cool movie to watch and Téa Leoni ofcourse )

Havent seen Bad Boys II hope to do so soon on Bluray.
    When i Transform i release rockets with nanobot-viruses that destroys you from within... the fuel inside you will turn into acid, metal will melt instantly...
    I'm a decepticon and my name is _____ All Hail Megatron!