Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite movie he has directed?

Post Favorite movie he has directed?

Hey Guys, I'm new to the forums here. Huge Michael Bay fan obviously, love everything he does from the action, visuals, camera work, story, etc. I'd say about 5 or 6 of the movies he has directed are in my top 10 list of all time favorite movies. I was just wondering what is your favorite Michael Bay movie?

Default Re: Favorite movie he has directed?

Still Armageddon.

Heart: California. Body: Between US & Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by BAYsplosions! View Post
    I was just wondering what is your favorite Michael Bay movie?

"Pearl Harbor".
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

The Rock

Transformers and Transformers Revenge of the Fallen (they're equal to me.)
    I hate haters...
    Because "Dark of the Moon was f*cking robbed."

From Bad Boys to Revenge Of The Fallen, I like them all! I could random pick any of them and enjoy the ride any day. But if I had only one to choose, today, maybe that would be Armageddon, cause this film is kinda special to me; no need to elaborate, let's just say special.

For me it's impossible to pick just one. Really liked The Island, but the first Transformers movie was like a dream come true.

Banned

Bad Boys 1 & 2, Transformers 1 & 2, The Island, The Rock.

1-The Island:borat
    2-The Rock:borat
    3-Transformers:borat
    4-Bad Boys 2
    5-Transformers ROTF
    6-Armageddon
    7-Bad Boys
    8-Pearl Habor
    I'm Awesome

Red face Re: Favorite movie he has directed?

Pearl Harbor- no doubt...
    cookie

Wow Im glad to see I got a decent amount of responses in just two days. And I think you can make a strong argument for any of the movies he's directed. I just wanted to see what alot of you guys thought and I felt this would be a good way to get started on the message boards. I personally think its very hard to pick a favorite one of his movies that he's directed. Bad Boys and Bad Boys 2 are very enjoyable, fun, and action packed all at the same time (IMO thats a perfect combo for a great film). Transformers and Transformers Revenge of the Fallen are so epic...even tho I like the first one slightly better. The Rock is just a flat out great film with fantastic action, acting, and a really good story. Im not gonna lie I wasnt expecting much with The Island but I was very impressed with what I saw. Armageddon I view in the same great light as The Rock. And finally I just love Pearl Harbor. I personally feel that the scene where the Japanese attack the U.S and seemingly kick our asses for most of that hour long scene and then the Americans begin to fight back with Rafe and Danny leading the way. I honestly believe that whole scene (from the early morning of Dec 7 all the way till FDR's infamous address) is one of the greatest scenes ever in a film.

So I would say my favorite film(s) Michael has ever directed would be either Transformers, Bad Boys 2, and Pearl Harbor. And when it comes to choosing a favorite, honestly its however I feel on a particular day.

So thanks to all that responded and keep them coming. So happy to be part of these forums.

The Rock & Transformers

Bad Boys 2

Now this is a hard question. I'll try my best:

1. Transformers.
    2. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.
    3. Pearl Harbor.
    4. Armageddon.
    5. Bad Boys 2.
    6. The Island.
    7. Bad Boys.
    8. The Rock.
    9. Playboy Video Centerfold: Kerri Kendall.

And just to mention - The Rock is one of my favorite movies. So you can imagine how I feel about the others.

There have been threads like this before, but for me:

1) Pearl Harbor
    2) The Island
    3) The Rock
    4) Armageddon
    5) Transformers
    6) Bad Boys
    7) Bad Boys II
    8) Transformers II

To date Bad Boys II and Transformers II are the only two movies I've gone to - and for the last year or so I've been averaging at least one a week - where I've actually looked at my watch in the theater to try and figure out when it might be ending.

(Not that there aren't other bad movies I've seen, just I've been smart enough not to pay $20+ with popcorn and drink to see those in a theater. :-))

See some of my other posts for my treatise on why, IMHO, Pearl Harbor is misunderstood by today's movie audiences as they were apparently expecting some kind of "hip," modern film where if you compare it to films of the time - which MB said on the Vista Edition commentary is what he was going for - it achieves its goal quite admirably.

Pearl Harbor and Transformers.

Yea I definetley agree Pearl Harbor is misunderstood. I feel like people watched it and tried to find every litttle flaw they could. I always hear people say "Its no where near as good as the original (Tora Tora Tora!) But I thought he did a great job with it. The whole attack sequence when the Japanese first attack the U.S and it shows the ship(s) sinking and tons of people dying trapped in the ship and when it shows Cuba Gooding Jr. character finally firing a weapon and actually shooting down a plane and his emotion he shows is fantastic. Not only is the action phenominal but the whole setting is perfect and it really makes you feel for the people who were there and experienced that. Then it shows the U.S starting to fight back lead by Rafe and Danny. Then it shows them trying to rescue the people trapped in the ships and that is a very emotional scene. The whole attack/fight scence which goes almost an hour long (From the moment you see the date on the calendar change to Dec 7 until the end the battle scenes and then FDR's address and declaration of war) is one of my all time favorite movie scenes.

And Idk why people say the acting in Pearl Harbor was terrible. Personally I thought most of the acting was pretty damn good, especially during the whole attack sequence. IMO I think one of the best acted scenes in the film is when Evelyn visits Rafe before him and Danny leave for the top secret mission and they have a real deep discussion. I think this scence was greatly acted. So idk why this movie got some bad reviews. I thought Bay and co. did a great job with it and its definetley in my top 2 or 3 of favorite Bay films and its probably in my top 10-15 of all time favorite films.

I'm sorry if it seems like I'm ranting or what not but it just kinda always pissed me off when I would hear people say that Pearl Harbor is a bad movie. I kno everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I respect that but I just couldnt figure out why some people didnt like it. And I'm also glad that alot of people responded to the original thread by saying Pearl Harbor is their favorite Bay movie. I kno there are alot of people that really like this movie and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by BAYsplosions! View Post
    So idk why this movie got some bad reviews.

Let's be frank - pretty much all Michael Bay films have received bad reviews from film critics. Thing is, as Michael said, he's not making films for critics, he's all about the audience. And that's why I respect the man. He's doing his thing and it obviously works for him.

So at the end of the day, it doesn't matter what a random critic thinks. Same goes for these ( God, I hate that word ) "haters".

And since Kevin Smith is better when it comes to explaining all these things, I'll let him do the talking:

Watch from 03:30 to 10:16...and thank me later.

"You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

watch from 03:30 to 10:16...and thank me later.

omg actual genius !! <3 <3
    "...fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing." - Optimus <3

The way I see it, you look for a hater, you will find him. Don't post about haters, won't be any haters. Look hard enough and you'll find someone that hates puppies. I mean who hates puppies? I don't know but they're out there.

My point is, to post about how some critics don't get Mike's films, in some ways, is to also be affected by those critics. It inevitably devolves into "f the haters", etc. I'm not down with that either. Like B's youtube link, I've been guilty of taking the bait as well in the past, these days not so much. Then, there's also the perception that nobody is free to criticize. In all my years here, nobody's ever been banned or -not- been free to dislike parts (or all) of Mike's movies, but they've done a pretty good job of keeping the trash out. (by haters/trash, I mean the "talkback" level nonsense/trolling). So if there were any "safe" place to like and discuss PH, this would be it.

In regards to the topic, I personally can't stomach parts of Pearl Harbor. By stomach, I mean sit through some of what I feel was a forced love triangle. But the rest of the movie is pretty good. (I'd love to see Schwartzman and Mike team up and do another movie) I just happen to really like The Rock. Another poster here said, it's tough to pick, it's also why I don't number rate. There are parts of all his movies that I really, really dig. Catch me on a different day and I'll tell you my favorite is The Island, etc.

OK Pearl Harbor discussion.... go!

Well, I mentioned a few months ago that I was afraid of watching PH again. The reason for this was because I loved it when I saw it about five years ago. And while I've never gotten around to watching it again, I am very aware the world hates it. Now I love all film, and my knowledge of film has grown alot in five years, and if the world hates it, then surely something must be wrong with it. If I watched it again, the great memory would be tarnished.

But screw it, I watched it 2 weeks ago.

Fuck the world, it's a great film... although it does have serious problems.

It's a little known fact that the film is supposed to be a throw back to 1940's films. If it wasn't then the reaction may not have been as hostile. I was aware of the film's intention back then and still to this day, it works. If Gone With The Wind was released today with the exact same dialogue, it would be branded as cheesy. I think there is a lot of arrogance and snobbery when it comes to the film's first act. The over-emphatic lines and the beautiful scenes not only homage 1940s films but they also show America's innocence and even ignorance to WW2.

And then the attack.. well that doesn't need explaining.

However, and I find it interesting that Baysplosions (an American) likes this, is the scene that he loves. I personally think the 10 minutes Danny and Rafe take to the skies, is the worst 10 minutes Michael Bay has ever done. Pearl Harbor was a real event. Thousands died and veterans still suffer to this day. The film is accused for exploiting that for making a money-making movie with explosions to make the audience excited and cheer when planes crash. I would say bullshit to that. You only have to watch the Olkahoma and hospital scenes to see how horrible that day watch. Exploitation? Bullshit. Saving Private Ryan is just as bad in that case.

But that scene when they take to the skies is the exact opposite of that. The film makes a huge effort to portray the Japanese honorably- and does a fine job until the music turns triumphant, Danny and Rafe play chicken, planes crash in front of the camera, 'Got one!', WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED HERE??? I can see how some Americans enjoy this because it's exciting, but thats where everyone seems to forget how real Pearl Harbor actually is. Bad taste isn't the word!

These 10 minutes tarnish the film and if someone is going to slay it, they only need these minutes to back them up. The scenes that follow with the President's speech, the dying soldier whilst they give blood etc are astonishing.

After the attack, the film goes back to the 1940's feel. I feel this was a mistake. We've had haunting scenes and now we have to listen to 'I don't think I'll ever look at a sunset without thinking of you'. If the rest of the film grounded itself in some realism, then the innocence of the first act would have been portrayed better. Then the Doolittle scenes are just pointless really. I'll admit it's hard to think of a way to tie up the story, but it seems like a 'America is strong and triumphant' excuse. It would have had more respect if it just let them stay kicked down.
    I've always defended Michael Bay against attacks that his films are full of stupid explosions, girls in underwear and mindless characters... but then he made Transformers 2 and I conceded...

Quote Originally Posted by kevski View Post
    ...until the music turns triumphant, Danny and Rafe play chicken, planes crash in front of the camera, 'Got one!', WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED HERE??? I can see how some Americans enjoy this because it's exciting, but thats where everyone seems to forget how real Pearl Harbor actually is.

Pearl Harbor was a real event.

True and I agree, but this movie, just like "Titanic", is about people who are in the middle of this whole thing. It follows them and their actions and reactions. You can't just show "the event", you have to ground it and make it emotional for the audience. And how you do that?

Through your lead characters and their actions. Oliver Stone did the same thing with "World Trade Center" - it's a movie about a tragedy, but a tragedy seen through the eyes of two men. We, as an audience, follow these men and we feel for them.

Same with "Pearl Harbor". That scene with Rafe and Danny is just something that these characters would do. It's not like Michael put it there just as an excuse to blow stuff up. The game of "Chicken" was established earlier in the movie, the audience knows that these two guys are great pilots and that they love their job.

So you would actually expect to see them in action. You would expect to see that scene.

Then the Doolittle scenes are just pointless really. I'll admit it's hard to think of a way to tie up the story, but it seems like a 'America is strong and triumphant' excuse.

The Doolittle raid was real, a lot of brave men were part of it, and frankly, it would've been a mistake not to include it in the movie. So personally, I don't think it was pointless.

And "America is strong and triumphant" was not exactly an excuse, because that was actually the whole point of the movie - being able to rise from the ashes...strong and triumphant.

Remember what Beckinsale said at the end:

"Before the Doolittle raid, America knew nothing but defeat. After it, there was hope of victory."

"America suffered, but America grew stronger. It was not inevitable. The times tried our souls, and through the trial, we overcame."

I'm fine with characters grounding the event, and I agree. But the whole tone of the dogfighting was horrible. It shifted suddenly and the content is in bad taste. I don't think it was intended to be in bad taste because the rest of the film is the total opposite.

The scene plays out to be an exciting part where the audience are expected to clap at the chicken bit and shooting down the Japanese. If the characters needed to be in action then cool, but not like that. The film portrays the Japansese as men of honour, going out to risk their lives for their country, and then all of a sudden were expected to be entertained whilst they are shot down.

But the Doolittle scene, I thought it could have been developed more but I can understand why people like it.
    I've always defended Michael Bay against attacks that his films are full of stupid explosions, girls in underwear and mindless characters... but then he made Transformers 2 and I conceded...