Thread: Trailbreaker's Thoughts on G1...

Exclamation Trailbreaker's Thoughts on G1...

Alright, so in case y'all didn't know, my bro and I got the whole show for Christmas this year. This gave me a great opportunity to see what all the fuss is about, and that it would give me some useful knowledge of the Transformers lore. I didn't have time to watch every single episode, but I watched a good 80% to get the gist of the series, and more importantly, to gather up my thoughts about it.

I'm fully aware that the show is pretty cheesy, and I tried the best I can to make light out of the silliness. The problem is, the show tends to get so silly that it becomes annoying; to the point where I'm agonizing for each episode to end. Seriously, "Is it almost over?" "How much longer do I have to sit through this?" "Huh?!" "Wait a minute! Why couldn't they just...ugh, never mind." That's how I felt as I watched it.

Some folks say that the comics are superior to the show in every way, darker storytelling, more depth, etc. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I guess the comics are harder to get one's hands on. Plus, I'm just not a comic book reader. Therefore, I'm not gonna take the time to check them out.

I guess if I was a young chap in the 80's, I would have loved this show to death. But I can't see myself lauding the hell out of it today, or think that the original is always better than anything new.

So there you have it, G1 is not my cup of tea. But please keep in mind, I still love Transformers. Trailbreaker will always and forever be my favorite Autobot. But as for G1 itself, I don't think I'll be watching it again. I'm pretty sure y'all understand where I'm at here. I don't think I could get away with this thread on TFW2005 or Seibertron.com. (Another reason S4TE will be my only home here on the Internets. )

Told ya.. even ROTF is far darker than G1 (I love G1's lightheartedness, too, though).

And I bet if you make such a thread in TFW or Seibertron, you'd be hanged in a matter of seconds.

Default Re: Trailbreaker's Thoughts on G1...

Recently I had the chance to watch the G1 TV series too (for the first time). And I felt exactly the same. However I managed to watched the whole 4 seasons.
    We all know that the times back in 85 were very different from now. And really the cartoons were made for 6 years old kids not 30 like me. So I watched them as something that my kid would enjoy. Still I got a good info about many of the robots and the TF history. But, yeah, I would never see it again.
    By the way can anyone tell which is the the most interesting and mature TF animation series?

Quote Originally Posted by Albershide View Post
    By the way can anyone tell which is the the most interesting and mature TF animation series?
    Hmmm, I'd have to say Beast Machines, believe it or not. I haven't seen it, but I heard it's got a reputation for being the darkest and most philosophical TF series to date. A lot of fans hate it for obvious reasons, but it's something you need to be the judge for.

Banned

I would have to say, Trasformers Prime is shaping up to be my all time fave out of all the TFs cartoon. But yes... G-1 is corny but in the 80s it was the best cartoon on tv.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    But yes... G-1 is corny but in the 80s it was the best cartoon on tv.
    Then that would mean the 80's was full of nothing but sh*tty cartoons.

I would have to say, Trasformers Prime is shaping up to be my all time fave out of all the TFs cartoon. But yes... G-1 is corny but in the 80s it was the best cartoon on tv.
    What about Energon and Armada? Are they OK? I see that they have a terrible rating on IMDb - 5. Which for animation is really low.

Quote Originally Posted by Albershide View Post
    What about Energon and Armada? Are they OK? I see that they have a terrible rating on IMDb - 5. Which for animation is really low.
    Armada was okay. The first half of the show gets really repetitive because each episode centers around the same exact thing, getting Mini-cons. It's like a Pokemon ripoff. The second half of the show gets more interesting when Unicron makes his presence known.

Avoid Energon at all cost. The show is the Plan 9 From Outer Space of Transformers cartoons. It's that bad.

I must agree I grew up with the G1 cartoon and had no great love for it at all. However this was due to growing up in the UK, with the much more exciting comic being out weekly with expanded stories by Simon Furman.

Going back to G1 after the movies is something I just can't do. Not just because of the stories, but because of how dated the designs look too. I'm not even keen on the recent generations figures because I'm so turned off by the old blocky designs.

So while it has a special place in my heart as the thing that introduced me to TF I enjoy other continuities such as the movie, Beast Wars/Machines, and Animated far more.

Senior Member I Fight Giant Robots's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbreaker View Post
    Alright, so in case y'all didn't know, my bro and I got the whole show for Christmas this year. This gave me a great opportunity to see what all the fuss is about, and that it would give me some useful knowledge of the Transformers lore. I didn't have time to watch every single episode, but I watched a good 80% to get the gist of the series, and more importantly, to gather up my thoughts about it.

I'm fully aware that the show is pretty cheesy, and I tried the best I can to make light out of the silliness. The problem is, the show tends to get so silly that it becomes annoying; to the point where I'm agonizing for each episode to end. Seriously, "Is it almost over?" "How much longer do I have to sit through this?" "Huh?!" "Wait a minute! Why couldn't they just...ugh, never mind." That's how I felt as I watched it.

Some folks say that the comics are superior to the show in every way, darker storytelling, more depth, etc. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I guess the comics are harder to get one's hands on. Plus, I'm just not a comic book reader. Therefore, I'm not gonna take the time to check them out.

I guess if I was a young chap in the 80's, I would have loved this show to death. But I can't see myself lauding the hell out of it today, or think that the original is always better than anything new.

So there you have it, G1 is not my cup of tea. But please keep in mind, I still love Transformers. Trailbreaker will always and forever be my favorite Autobot. But as for G1 itself, I don't think I'll be watching it again. I'm pretty sure y'all understand where I'm at here. I don't think I could get away with this thread on TFW2005 or Seibertron.com. (Another reason S4TE will be my only home here on the Internets. )
    One night, i was sick and i was going to stay home from school the nexy day; and i was flipping through my channels, and i saw that the TF movie was coming on. and even though i have the dvd already, i wanted to see it in HD...and so, i watched g1 episodes while i waited...and i felt the same way.
    but it was definetely cool to watch, because...I dont know, that's how the tformers movies started, and it was interesting :borat Also, the older cartoons look cooler than the newer cartoons on tv...haha i think so!
    I Fight Giant Robots

Transformers Prime is by far my favorite. Not even a close second.

Trail: You can download an app if you have an iPod/iPhone and download all the TF comics done by IDW on there.
    Call me Wolfie or Blade, your choice. And for the record, yes, I am female.
    Starscream is my snuggles and he loves me very much. <3

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfblade View Post
    Transformers Prime is by far my favorite. Not even a close second.

Trail: You can download an app if you have an iPod/iPhone and download all the TF comics done by IDW on there.
    Oh no I'm talking about the old Marvel comics!

I have that complete series ^^^. Issues #1-80 (Marvel US run). Took me about 6 months and between $350-$450 to complete it but after reading them it was all worthwhile. Yes the comic is much darker than the cartoon with many characters from both sides meeting horrible and tragic deaths. Especially once Simon Furman came over and starting writing them towards the end (around issue #69). Also there are numerous characters you'll never come to know if you don't read them because they never appeared in the animated series. The G1 cartoon I also have on dvd (2 different box sets). And I enjoy watching them despite the cheesiness and animation errors. This is probably because I am a "G1'er" in every sense of the term. Born in '77...age 7 in 1984 at the introduction of the Transformers genre....so yeah, I was right in Hasbros wheelhouse as a target consumer. True almost every episode was centered around the Decepticons endless lust for energon and the Autobots necessity to stop them. However there were also many underlying themes and principles in most episodes that are relevant no matter what generation you were raised in. G.I. Joe (ARAH) had relevant underlying principles in quite a few episodes that could be implemented in real life as well. But I suppose if you can't "see the forest beyond the trees" then I guess you'd miss out on a lot of those.
    "Megatron, requesting permission to teleport"

Oh no I'm talking about the old Marvel comics!

I wish I could get ahold of some of those but no moola or places that sell them nearby. I could use ebay I suppose but that brings me back to the no moola problem.
    Call me Wolfie or Blade, your choice. And for the record, yes, I am female.
    Starscream is my snuggles and he loves me very much. <3

Senior Member Bot of Badassness's Avatar

Hey Trailbreaker

(I'll be real quick with this first, I've been going through some real hard times in life over the past 2 years and so I decided not to go onto S4TE in case my depression ended up in my typing. Anyway, loved DOTM! )

I got a G1 set from one of my mates for my birthday earlier this year. I watched all 4 seasons and I was rather split on the series. The first two seasons were great but I hated the third and didn't care much for the fourth. But the first two I really enjoyed and it was a nice surprise to see my favorite story in DOTM (Megatron's Master Plan, it is my fav because it is unique and dark :borat).

Anyway, sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it that much. I'm still waiting for Transformers: Prime to start airing here in New Zealand, might try to watch it with my nephew.

I understand why you didn't like the show, but what about character designs and voice acting? When it comes to G1 they are my favorites, Megatron especially. Sure he turns into a gun but his robot mode is the best, which is why I've always been somewhat disapointed when they come out with a new series. They never seem to get megatron right(RID elephant ears, Armanda long "bunny ears", Cybertron "WTF?") They oftentimes get Optimus correct but never Megatron.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."
    -John Wayne (The Shootist)

Banned

i got the complete g1 set that shout factory put out a few months ago, halfway thru season 2 so far, G1 for me is okay, i enjoy the episodes, but cant watch 2 much of it back to back, need a break after 2-3 episodes. as a kid, i watched a few episodes, i was a transformer fan because of the toys, wasnt 2 into the cartoon, i prefered TMNT, He-Man and GI-Joe as a kid. but loved the transformer toys.
    G1 is still ALOT better than the japanese cartoons! stuff like Armada and Energon, i just couldnt get myself to watch it.. the humans constant screaming and moaning does my head in!
    Transformer Prime is the best tho! nothing is as good as TF Prime, not even the movies! that last episode of TF Prime- episode 23 was probably the best episode i have ever seen! just 2 epic! can't wait for episode 24.

Pft. I beg to differ. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Duck Tales, Tail Spin, The Gummi Bears, The Real Ghostbusters, Tiny Toons, The Littles all say hi!

But really, I never got into Transformers when I was a kid. I was a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fan. But even then, unlike the G-whiners, I evolved with my Turtles, and now like the 2k3 toon more than the 80's. But, I don't like the Fast Forward arc.

I watch some of the old episodes now and I love the cheesy factor. You're talking to a girl that loved Ninja Turtles, which was way more corny on so many levels. At least the G1 formers have epic battles.

TF: Prime is pretty dang dark. I mean, they killed off a character in the first episode. That's just cold.
    They call me Ratchet Girl for a reasonl.
    Yeah, I'm a girl...SO FREAKING WHAT????
    I will always love Ratchet. Don't even try to take my title.

Quote Originally Posted by taybrian1 View Post
    I watch some of the old episodes now and I love the cheesy factor. You're talking to a girl that loved Ninja Turtles, which was way more corny on so many levels. At least the G1 formers have epic battles.

TF: Prime is pretty dang dark. I mean, they killed off a character in the first episode. That's just cold.
    I don't think so. You'd never hear Leo say "amazing, a booby trap that catches boobies" To me, that is like the corniest thing I ever seen in a popular 80's cartoon.

But later on, when Ninja Turtles would come back in the 2k3 version, now those fights kicked ass! Best ones were with Leo vs Karai. And it got pretty dark. Darkest episode in my opinion would be the one where Raph almost kills his own brother, Mikey. That was ripped right from the comics! But even then, the cartoons never really showed how pissed off and dangerous Raphael could get. He threw Leo right through a brick wall once! In the comics.

The world was diferent back then. Try watching mr Rogers neibourhood today. Kids would rip it appart.

\

if you think that, then you've never seen The Real Ghostbusters.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."
    -John Wayne (The Shootist)

Fav moments in g1 was the autobots headquarters and the Dceps base transforms and fought. The shrinking megatron gun also confused me back then. And most of all the insane Galvatron, they even shows him bathing in lava:wtf just to be evil?