Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Blu-Ray Bay

Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa, 108151539218136, Johannesburg, Gauteng

Angry Re: Bay's response

Quote Originally Posted by michaelbay View Post
    I know the look, color, and sounds on my own movies better they anyone in the world. I color-time every single image, and am there for every single audio tweak. I see my films in the editing and final process no less then a 100 times. I know ever single nuance. For some dick wads on these posts who think I can't make an informed choice on what format in the end, has the truer results for my own films. Well you where to shove.... My films finished in Blu-Ray are better - more true. Hd is better than DVD, but just not as good as Blu-Ray. So buying a Transformers Hd is still the best you will see this movie as of today. But when Paramount caves for Blu-Ray in the future - This will happen, then you will see Transformers one day finished in Blu-Ray and I will sure be able to tell the difference.

Bay
    Rant on:

This is what gets me!! You (Michael) know, as you say, every single pixel of your films and everything that goes into making the film. Yet some people think they know things better than others. You are on "the front line" as it were right there where the films are being made.

You know more about the entertainment industry than most hacks here. They think they know everything about movies just because they have access to the world wide web. They will read a review and think they know everything... when in fact they know nothing.

They've never made a film to understand the decisions that have to be made.

Rant off:

Default Re: Blu-Ray Bay

Mr. Bay :

All I can say is keep filming Transformers 2

(But never finish it if Paramount don't change it's mind and go back BD - I'm kidding )
    Last edited by nokia6250tank; 01-08-2008 at 06:02 AM.

All I can say is, you should have stood your ground all the way through, if you did not like it, as you say, then you should have stuck with that instead of your comments later about "heat of the moment response" concerning HD DVD. Love your movies, but the way you went about the format thing was like a politician. Lost some respect for you.

Mike

Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa, 108151539218136, Johannesburg, Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by AEMIKEA View Post
    Lost some respect for you.

Mike
    I doubt he cares.

Talking Re: Blu-Ray Bay

Quote Originally Posted by Mericalis View Post
    Here's a quote from someone with more expertise than I have in this matter. Besides, I shouldn't be up right now (time-wise) and I should really be in the bed because I'm on the sick side.

"BDs can assign more bits to the video and audio (for example 40 Mb/s to video, 48 Mb/s to audio + video) therefore the image and the audio can have more information and be truer (have higher fidelity) to the source."

I'll let that be the final word I say tonight, because I am not cognitive enough to continue. Maybe I can direct someone else over here that is a more experienced member of this forum later on to answer that question.
    OK I understand that, and I see what Michael Bay was getting at now. You can realise a better transfer on Blu ray as you have higher maximum bandwidth. The fact that currently in a lot of cases of dual format releases, studios are using identical compressed source on both Blu Ray and HDDVD . This just means the production is just taking the easy way out, and not taking advantage of the full capability of Blu Ray.

OK, I'm fully on board now...

Edit: Just did some checking and yeah, I am most definitely sold on Blu Ray technically now as well.
    DVD Max video bit rate: 11Mb/s
    HD DVD max video bit rate: 28 MB/s
    Blu Ray max video bit rate: 40MB/s

So HD had about 4 times the number of pixels to standard DVD, but HDDVD is only 2.5 the max bit rate of standard def DVD? Hmm.
    Last edited by Mobe1969; 01-07-2008 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AEMIKEA View Post
    All I can say is, you should have stood your ground all the way through, if you did not like it, as you say, then you should have stuck with that instead of your comments later about "heat of the moment response" concerning HD DVD. Love your movies, but the way you went about the format thing was like a politician. Lost some respect for you.

Mike
    You sort of have a point there about Bay retracting his initial slamming of Paramount's move to HDDVD. But I imagine (and I'm only speculating here) that he got a stern talking to from Paramount on the fate of the production of Transformers 2. And maybe once the production was secured that wasn't something that could be held over him. Just my thoughts. I do know from personal experience that working often involves you having to go along and back up something you don't personally think is a good idea... And I guess those in the military know that is probably more so the case

Default Re: Bay's response

Quote Originally Posted by michaelbay View Post
    I know the look, color, and sounds on my own movies better they anyone in the world. I color-time every single image, and am there for every single audio tweak. I see my films in the editing and final process no less then a 100 times. I know ever single nuance. For some dick wads on these posts who think I can't make an informed choice on what format in the end, has the truer results for my own films. Well you where to shove.... My films finished in Blu-Ray are better - more true. Hd is better than DVD, but just not as good as Blu-Ray. So buying a Transformers Hd is still the best you will see this movie as of today. But when Paramount caves for Blu-Ray in the future - This will happen, then you will see Transformers one day finished in Blu-Ray and I will sure be able to tell the difference.

Bay
    Game, set, and match.

C'mon guys, a director knows his work better than anyone else. If anyone truly thinks Michael hasn't done his homework on this issue, then you are sadly mistaken. Bay has access to information and technology the rest of us simply don't have. Unlike most cry baby fanboys on the Internet, his opinion is based on research.

Oh, and anyone who thinks Bay was bought... do you really think Michael is so hard up for cash that he'd sink so low as to take a bribe from a consumer electronics company? Give me a break.

Let's move on from all this petty bullshit and just enjoy the movies.

I guess I can't resist joining the group of first time posters on this issue.

I wouldn't categorize myself as a Michael Bay fan as perhaps many of the posters here would, but certainly a film enthusiast. I did enjoy movies such as Transformers, the Rock, and Bad Boys. But then I wouldn't categorize myself as a fan of any individual.

To be honest I was very disappointed to see Michael Bay recant his first statement on Blu-Ray way back after his first announcement on the Paramount switch. I have to give credit though that he has been consistent to his opinion since. An opinion I of course share.

I would have to say I respect that, for someone in a high profile position to come out and speak their mind when there are no doubt corporate agendas and consequences to opinion in the business.

Good job for standing up for what is the best choice and not towing the company line. Professionals that understand what looks best, demanding the best, is a very good thing for HD and for Blu-Ray.
    Last edited by SavagePotato; 01-07-2008 at 05:42 PM.

And hopfull from now and within the next 12months this FORMAT WAR ENDS.The sooner the Better so TF can be released in BD.

Ha, this is quite funny. Michael Bay, you're voice is obviously not heard since paramount still supports hd-dvd. Cheer all you want and call me a fanboy, but if hd-dvd pulls through (they still have a good chance), don't start bitching about how your precious transformers 2 didn't get put on blu-ray.

Quote Originally Posted by xXmarkXx View Post
    Ha, this is quite funny. Michael Bay, you're voice is obviously not heard since paramount still supports hd-dvd. Cheer all you want and call me a fanboy, but if hd-dvd pulls through (they still have a good chance), don't start bitching about how your precious transformers 2 didn't get put on blu-ray.
    If you honestly think HD DVD "still have a good chance" then...well...I don't know how to finish that. I'm not a betting man, but I wouldn't be putting my money on HD DVD at this point.

Bay made that post yesterday, dude. Even if Paramount was in the business of making strategic company moves based on the feelings of a movie director, they haven't had time to do decide anything yet. You can bet that Universal and Paramount will be running every possible scenario right now. They'll most likely wait and see how this plays itself out before moving ahead.

Oh, and Paramount need Bay more than Bay needs Paramount. He's the man behind their biggest cash cow.

Your post comes off as bitter and hurt. I understand that you're frustrated by the recent developments (Warner Bros.) and Michael's subsequent opinion, but try and remember that we're all talking about a spinning piece of plastic here. Not worth getting too caught up on, in my humble opinion.

And on another note, not related to xXmarkXx's post:

I think Michael's choice to post his opinions, opinions that run contrary to the studio he's just made 2 films for, proves he isn't some puppet.

Quote Originally Posted by xXmarkXx View Post
    Delusional people are funny.

Hmmmm Sony the big backers of Blu-Ray getting into the movie download business, on their #1 selling Blu-Ray player. I guess Microsoft isn't the only evil company on the planet.

http://kotaku.com/341910/sony-boss-t...work-expansion
    "I reject your reality & substitute it with my own." - Adam Savage, Host, Mythbusters

"Living in Seattle is like being in love with a beautiful woman, who's always sick." - G.M. Ford

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    - Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger Mike View Post
    If you honestly think HD DVD "still have a good chance" then...well...I don't know how to finish that. I'm not a betting man, but I wouldn't be putting my money on HD DVD at this point.

Bay made that post yesterday, dude. Even if Paramount was in the business of making strategic company moves based on the feelings of a movie director, they haven't had time to do decide anything yet. You can bet that Universal and Paramount will be running every possible scenario right now. They'll most likely wait and see how this plays itself out before moving ahead.

Oh, and Paramount need Bay more than Bay needs Paramount. He's the man behind their biggest cash cow.

Your post comes off as bitter and hurt. I understand that you're frustrated by the recent developments (Warner Bros.) and Michael's subsequent opinion, but try and remember that we're all talking about a spinning piece of plastic here. Not worth getting too caught up on, in my humble opinion.

And on another note, not related to xXmarkXx's post:

I think Michael's choice to post his opinions, opinions that run contrary to the studio he's just made 2 films for, proves he isn't some puppet.

Even though warner bros has gone exclusively blu-ray, hd-dvd is a huge hit in the U.S. where we spend more money than any other country in the world on electronics. If they can sell players, then they can sell hd-dvd's. What is going to happen to the million people that have bought an hd-dvd player? They'll buy hd-dvd's. At this point in the game...toshiba will have to lower the price of the hd-dvd's to compete, i will admit that. But they still have paramount, universal, and dreamworks behind them...3 of of the largest that have some of the most creative movies tagged along with them. Toshiba has the right to put both dvd and hd-dvd on a single disc which I see will help them. A 51 gig disc and a built in hd-player in laptops as I see it will also help them. Michael Bay is running in an artillary field before the war is over. He's celebrating the win even though the company he works for still supports hd-dvd. He may prefer blu-ray but now he's just using his voice like tom cruise...making him an imbecile. Paramount may need him, but they could get rid of him like faster than warner bros going exclusive and they would still be a profitable company.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger Mike View Post
    Let me draw you a picture...with just one company that backs Blue-Ray.
    That is Walt Disney, which owns: Buena Vista, Disney, and part owners of Pixar. Now that one company alone owns countless media outlets, ESPN and ABC to name a few. Now, lets add it up. We have multi-billion dollar movie companies that hollywood depends on to make the big bucks.

Wait...there is MORE !!!
    Warner brothers: 300 and I AM LEGEND......
    OH no !!!!

Paramount, sure....woopie doo..very true Shrek 3 and TF are the top grossing movies this year domestic wise, but wait.... SHREK 3 and TF are also co-owned by Dreamworks, which is breaking of ties with Paramount in a few years...i guess BLUE RAY WINS !!! in the future ofcourse.

I wish I had time to check my grammer and make this more proper, but i'm tired.
    "Consumers have clearly chosen Blu-ray, and we believe that recognizing this preference is the right step in making this great home entertainment experience accessible to the widest possible audience," said Kevin Tsujihara

I love Michael Bay, not only for his support of the superior Blu-Ray format but because He directs some great films.

Mr. Bay can we expect Transformers on Blu-Ray soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Moediaz2 View Post
    Let me draw you a picture...with just one company that backs Blue-Ray.
    That is Walt Disney, which owns: Buena Vista, Disney, and part owners of Pixar. Now that one company alone owns countless media outlets, ESPN and ABC to name a few. Now, lets add it up. We have multi-billion dollar movie companies that hollywood depends on to make the big bucks.

Wait...there is MORE !!!
    Warner brothers: 300 and I AM LEGEND......
    OH no !!!!

Paramount, sure....woopie doo..very true Shrek 3 and TF are the top grossing movies this year domestic wise, but wait.... SHREK 3 and TF are also co-owned by Dreamworks, which is breaking of ties with Paramount in a few years...i guess BLUE RAY WINS !!! in the future ofcourse.

I wish I had time to check my grammer and make this more proper, but i'm tired.
    Is this "war" going to end soon?
    Paramount in HD DVD blow?

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/01/07...e-hd-dvd-door/

Quote Originally Posted by chinmoku View Post
    If paramount drops HD DVD then be sure UNIVERSAL will do the same and the format war will be over.

Michael Bay was right after all about Blu Ray , it's the superior format and it does deserve the victory

Also this dutch article says that Paramount is about to go Blue-Ray.

It says: 'Paramount says HD-DVD goodbye. After Warner, Paramount is about to choose Blue-Ray as follower of the DVD. That's says the Financial Times.

Paramount hopes to put an end to this fight between Blue-Ray and HD-DVD to choose for Blue-Ray.

The Financial Times says: Paramount had a contract that it would go Blue-Ray if Warner did so to.

It is not certain, and some people from Paramount are still deniying this story.'

It's dutch, bit here's the source:
    http://www.nu.nl/news/1382826/54/%27...aarwel%27.html

Hello Michael,

I just wanted to ask a quick question. I know how hands on you are with your movies and how much you like to oversee the process of them making their way onto DVD... so here's my question. When Paramount finally does go back to releasing Blu-Ray and Transformers is released, are you going to make sure that they give it the treatment it deserves and not half ass it they way they did with the HD-DVD version? I still cannot believe that they rushed it the way they did and thought it was more important to put extras on the disc with the movie instead of True HD sound! I am hopeing this will NOT be the case with the Blu-Ray version since there is more than enough room on a Blu-Ray disc for the extras AND the True HD UNCOMPRESSED sound! Also, I have read on many home entertainment websites that companys who released both formats in the past, in other words Warner Bros. and Paramount, did not think it was profitable to take the time to give their Blu-Ray DVD releases the treatment they deserved so they would just take the HD-DVD version of a movie and port it over to a Blu-Ray disc with the same compression and everything that the HD-DVD release had. I can really see what they are talking about when I watch my Blu-Ray versions of "Tomb Raider" and "Sleepy Hollow" ... the picture quality is no where near the quality of my other Blu-Ray movies that were released from companys that only concentrate on one format. Like I said earlier... since you are so involved with your movies and like to make sure they are released in the best quality possible... I am hopeing that you will not allow Paramount to be cheap with the Blu-Ray release of Transformers when it finally does come out and only take the HD-DVD release they already have and port it over to a Blu-Ray disc and say... "here it is, just be happy your getting it at all"!
    Last edited by TrueBlu; 01-08-2008 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
    I have 18 posts total, You consider that alot? You have close to 2000 posts and your calling my 18 alot. Wow you have a twisted view of reality.

Sorry you couldnt be more wrong if you tried. 35mm is 100% inadequate for Architecture because you cannot correct for the convergence of lines when tilting up or tilting down and you can carry on with your its only a tool its the vision crap all day long but in the end if you dnt have the proper tools you cant do squat no matter what your vision is.

I am done with this because

1 - You stil lhavent figured out the real problem I have with what Michael said and keep harping on about me questioning his ability or expierence when I clearly have never done so.

2 - You clearly still have along way to go in your so called transition and I have zero interest in arguing with people who simply dont understand what your talking about.

The bottom line is BD and HD DVD are visually identical and you cannot name a single title on the market today that proves otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-bay View Post

Thatís not all. Engineers whoíve worked with both formats say Blu-ray is a pig to program. While extremely flexible, its programming language, BD-Java, requires lots of low-level code for even the simplest of instructions. The highly skilled programmers needed to do the job donít exactly grow on trees.
    Y'know, a lot fewer young men and women would pick up machine guns and go fight in foreign wars for Uncle Sam if they could find reliable work here in America. I have at least two people in my life who shuffled off to Iraq because they could not find regular work in their technical fields so, don't even try to tell me that technological advances that create more jobs for people is a terrible thing.

Thanks to the internet connection built into all HD DVD players, Toshiba machines allow users to do all sorts of nifty thingsólike re-edit films, participate in online polls and download trailers.
    I have a computer for that sort of stuff. The $1800 surround sound system and flat screen television in the adjoining room is where I gather with my friends and enjoy films.

Increasingly, itís beginning to look as though, after the initial attraction of high-definitionís much sharper picture, interactivity is going to be the deciding factor that determines the outcome of the current format war.
    So crappier is better, just so as you get more stuff? That's like saying there's no need to pay extra for a glass of Maker's Mark when you can just buy a whole gallon of Old Crow for the same money. That's disgusting! As a consumer, I demand quality. I demand Blu Ray.
    "When you make something no one hates, no one loves it." - Tibor Kalman

Alright I sold my HD-DVD of Transformers, so Michael you better make that Blu-Ray Version VERY GOOD! You need to do a Director's Cut with the cussing too! I'm without Transformers!
    iTunes: 188 Movies, 1,414 TV Shows

Arrow Re: Blu-Ray Bay

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...o_Blu-ray/1351

...and now New Line jumps on. They are a sister company of Warner Bros., so it was just another matter of time.

And it seems Warner is the parent company of HBO, They go Blu too

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...clusivity/1357
    Last edited by Double; 01-09-2008 at 06:52 PM.

It looks like the world is going Blu now !

However I would like to point out, being an owner of both, that HD-DVD real advantage is that you can burn, onto a regular DVD-R and regular burner, HD material from HD Channels, and replay them back in 720p or 1080i or whatever format they aired, including the subtitles streams etc.

Blu will force you to buy a Blu burner, Blu software burner & Blu disc, and at this price, it will become expensive just to burn a movie that will probably not come out on Blu or never.

Now, with over 400 + disc available including Transformers, and many selling them off cheap on the web, HD-DVD remains a good investment... with the PS3 of course.
    www.dvdvisionhd.fr
    New Blu-Ray magazine coming soon !