Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: Blu-Ray Bay

Default Re: Blu-Ray Bay

Quote Originally Posted by danimal99 View Post
    Digital downloads are viable RIGHT NOW. Pirates are obviously downloading whole DVDs every day, and with cable and DSL internet service, satellite and cable VOD service, etc., having a high quality movie delivered to your home in a reasonable time, if not instantly, is already available. I'm sorry if you feel like you're being under-served down-under, but that's the reality here in the States. And we're not even the leaders on internet availability and speeds worldwide.

With the Internet speed issue, availability and capacity is more than ready for digital downloads. 10 years ago, I moved from 56k dialup to 1.5Mbps cable modem as Time Warner rolled out service in Memphis, TN. It was blazing fast at the time, but also spotty, and subject to both outages and my neighbors using up all the bandwidth. Now, 10 years later, I have the mid-range plan from my cable company, get 3Mbps all day long, with almost total reliability. I could get faster but I don't need it. I rented a movie on Amazon and it was playable in just a few minutes (while the rest of the download proceeded in the background.

Your 25 (or even 10) year projection is simply uninformed and unfounded. I honestly can't even believe you would try to argue it.
    Mate, Moores law was right at the time it was written, back in 65, but it is not the case today. What's more it is so misquoted. It was simply an observation he made in 1965. It is not a law, just a prediction the next ten years of IC development (eg, up to 75). And he was spot on for a bit longer than the ten years he predicted. They are NOT managing to double the transistor density every two years anymore. Not even close. And CPU speeds - how much has that changed in the last 5 years?

And SD DVD downloads. Who is discussing them here? We are talking high quality hidef in the volume of libraries people like myself have bought.

And you, you basically confirmed my statement on internet speed not changing in 10 years.

People keep on throwing mathematical terms like exponential around without having any real clue what it means.

I admit, digital downloads will probably work in some markets, like non videophiles, rental/disposable market. I mean FFS apple manage to sell people low quality 480line TV shows that people could have watched free the night before, so it goes to show there is no shortage of suckers on the planet.

And out of interest, what sort of GB quotas do you have on your 3Mb link? And elsewhere in America? In Australia, I have roughly 15GB/month unchoked, which is probably on the high side. I honestly can not even consider downloading even a single high quality HD (1080p) movie per month. Do Americans have quotas in the 100's or gigabytes?

Quote Originally Posted by nelson View Post
    Wonder what resolution... 1080p? Or they following the MS 720p HD.
    Last edited by Mobe1969; 01-16-2008 at 08:35 AM.

Thumbs down Re: Blu-Ray Bay

Quote Originally Posted by nelson View Post
    But only if you have the apple tv. Can't get them in iTunes. Lame.

And yes they are only 720p

Quote Originally Posted by Mobe1969 View Post

And out of interest, what sort of GB quotas do you have on your 3Mb link? And elsewhere in America? In Australia, I have roughly 15GB/month unchoked, which is probably on the high side. I honestly can not even consider downloading even a single high quality HD (1080p) movie per month. Do Americans have quotas in the 100's or gigabytes?

quotas?? We don't have transfer quotas if thats what you mean.. I get Bright House cable internet and its rated at 5-10Mbps. Doesn't matter if you download 3kb or 300GBs of data. you pay the rate for the month.

Hey! Are a new member here. Hopefully I will get something from this forum.

Anyway...a little contribution about the format-war. Just a Youtube-clip that is quite funny. It treats how the HD DVD-camp took the news about Warner going Blu-ray exclusive. It is a clip taken from the german movie "Der Untergang" with a...lets just say, different subtitle. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=friS4OOcdgQ

People keep on throwing mathematical terms like exponential around without having any real clue what it means.
    Or rather, people don't expect their words to be nitpicked to the extreme.

As the other person said, quotas? Like I said earlier, I'm sorry that high speed Internet service is still relatively precious down-under. The only capped Internet I know of here in the States is satellite broadband, and that's only because its bandwidth has to be shared with users nationwide. No, we generally can stream all we want for a flat fee on the Internet, and cable companies' Video on Demand services let you just pick a show in SD or HD and watch it immediately (I suppose, I have DirecTV instead of digital cable.)

But, just because YOU have caps and quotas, doesn't mean we all do. Digital downloads is already a reality here.

This stared out as realy nice topic and stil is but latly i have started seeing some of this to be come Dog eat Dog.

Yes everyone has good thoughts on the topic. But Damn all this from what Bay Said i think some of it was taken the wrong way.

I don't think it going to much longer intill HD is dead in the water just by some of the things i'm reading in other site's. I do think as soon as their contract period runs out supporting the HD-DVD (Paramount and Universal) Early or mid this year they will go Blu-ray.

So if i'm Right God willing. I'm Geussing Mr Bay is all ready planing some Great stuff with Paramount for when TF hit Blu-Ray.
    Last edited by IMT Guyver; 01-16-2008 at 11:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by danimal99 View Post
    Or rather, people don't expect their words to be nitpicked to the extreme.

As the other person said, quotas? Like I said earlier, I'm sorry that high speed Internet service is still relatively precious down-under. The only capped Internet I know of here in the States is satellite broadband, and that's only because its bandwidth has to be shared with users nationwide. No, we generally can stream all we want for a flat fee on the Internet, and cable companies' Video on Demand services let you just pick a show in SD or HD and watch it immediately (I suppose, I have DirecTV instead of digital cable.)

But, just because YOU have caps and quotas, doesn't mean we all do. Digital downloads is already a reality here.

OK, fair enough. I know the speed isn't any different there to here, but didn't realise quotas didn't exist in the US... I'd hate to have to try to store my whole collection on magnet media though...

well I'll be dammed. This JUST in. Looks like we might be following your lead here in the states

http://news.wired.com/dynamic/storie...01-17-07-42-17

Quote Originally Posted by ScarCrow28 View Post
    well I'll be dammed. This JUST in. Looks like we might be following your lead here in the states

http://news.wired.com/dynamic/storie...01-17-07-42-17

Ouch. I pity you. And envy your current situation of no quotas.

Quote Originally Posted by Dadi View Post
    Nice! Im waiting for Transformers on Blu Ray Bay.
    I bought the Steelbook Version DVD of Transformers for my Playstation3, it looks pretty good, but it would be better with True HD Surround Sound.

But there are a Question for Mr. Bay:

- Why are you so PRO(+) for Blu Ray? Are there some Reasons you can tell us?

With best regards from Vienna,
    Dadi
    i'm wondering why? hmmm.

More and more companies are swapping to Blu everyday.... It won't be long. The time is coming...

Quote Originally Posted by MR BLU View Post
    More and more companies are swapping to Blu everyday.... It won't be long. The time is coming...
    When does Paramount Pictures contract to HD-DVD go out? so we all can buy the "Transformers" movie in Blu-Ray format!!
    Last edited by vogeler; 02-11-2008 at 07:50 AM.

Last edited by Double; 02-19-2008 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Double View Post

Ooooh hoooo....I can then buy out their stock of HD DVDs for cheap!

WOOT!

Then...eventually convert to blu ray...*sniff*

I only got HD because of TF. Then I'll get blu ray because of TF....
    I'm a dog chasing cars. I don't know what I'd do if I caught one. I don't have plans. I just do things. I'm not a schemer.

I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you can't savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments.

I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger.

Everybody seems to choose Blu Ray, at present.
    I have nothing against it, as I have chosen the winning format at the very beginning =)

I can wait for Matrix, Bourne and Transformers. But just for a while

i read it on a bbc article, michael bay mentioned that he's been converted to hd dvd after watching 300 on hd dvd. did he really mean what he said?

HD-DVD group responds to the Best Buy Netflix news:

"We have long held the belief that HD DVD is the best format for consumers based on quality and value, and with more than 1 million HD DVD players on the market, it's unfortunate to see Netflix make the decision to only stock Blu-ray titles going forward. While the Best Buy announcement says they will recommend Blu-ray, at least they will continue to carry HD DVD and offer consumers a choice at retail."

This is sad now...give it up Toshiba! You lost and you know it!

Arrow Re: Blu-Ray Bay

"...with more than 1 million HD DVD players on the market..."

Someone from Toshiba needs to do their research. More than 1 million ps3's alone were sold over the holidays. May be that explains these decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Double View Post
    "...with more than 1 million HD DVD players on the market..."

Someone from Toshiba needs to do their research. More than 1 million ps3's alone were sold over the holidays. May be that explains these decisions.
    that and is it the 3:1 or 4:1 lead blu ray has over hd-dvd. I don't know why people push the hardware units. These studios dont make money off of hardware. They make money off of software. So these studios are going to go where they are making money. End of story.

Congrats to Blu-Ray on the victory (it's official, Toshiba gave up). Thanks to Mr. Bay for the support as well. Finally we can all get on board with one HDM format.

What a joke, now your saying I told you so? When you did not hold your ground on Bluray when you had the chance, "I watched 300 on HD DVD and...." Now that the format is going belly up, you go back to your original stance. I can't believe people are praising you, you jumped ship after a little pressure from the studio. You are a joke Michael Bay, stick to just making great movies and stop talking out of both sides of your mouth.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by AEMIKEA View Post
    What a joke, now your saying I told you so? When you did not hold your ground on Bluray when you had the chance, "I watched 300 on HD DVD and...." Now that the format is going belly up, you go back to your original stance. I can't believe people are praising you, you jumped ship after a little pressure from the studio. You are a joke Michael Bay, stick to just making great movies and stop talking out of both sides of your mouth.

Mike
    I hear you dude.. are we the only ones seeing this? here's another thread I posted on.. So I won't repeat and it wasn't as harsh of a comment.. And people praising him for what? I would ask where did the thread "Paramount pissed me off!" Because he told his fans that TF will be on DVD and both HDM format. I understand that saying "I WON'T DO TF2 was harsh" but just taking a stance on the HDM format was good enough. And retracting the part of "I WON'T DO TF2" was okay. By the way.. WE ARE GOING TO GET FLAMED FOR THIS. You know what.. I can take it.. I won't flip flop. I'll take a stand.

http://www.shootfortheedit.com/forum...ead.php?t=1265

AUG 2007:
    http://www.michaelbay.com/blog/files...ay-HD-DVD.html

JAN 2008:
    http://www.michaelbay.com/blog/files...e7667-187.html

FEB 2008:
    http://www.michaelbay.com/blog/files...aff60-199.html
    Last edited by cramos5825; 02-20-2008 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AEMIKEA View Post

Mike
    Yeah, yeah, yeah... There are two times in my life, if I could have politically made nice and kept a job, well, I would have in a heartbeat, because speaking the truth can cost many others besides you. Had it only impacted me, myself, and I, then yeah, no regrets. But it didn't and people I cared about got to go on a financial roller coaster ride they didn't sign up for. People depended on me and I let them down just because I opened my mouth and spoke truthfully or fell on my sword or whatever. I didn't do anything wrong, but if I could have taken it back, or made nice, etc. I would have. Having principals and taking a stand ain't all it's cracked up to be. Personally, I'm vicariously enjoying him being right and being able to say so. Stop raining on my vicarious parade.

From now on Blu-Ray should be capitalised thus:
    Blu rAY