Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tron 3

Default Re: Tron 3

Exclusive: TRON 3 Could Shoot This Year, Bruce Boxleitner Says
    The TRON star hints at what might be in the upcoming sequel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Topel
    The Hallmark Channel held a dinner party for the Television Critics Association and for all of their talent from original movies and series. Bruce Boxleitner stars in Hallmark's “Cedar Cove," so after dinner I approached him for an interview. I went straight to Tron questions and he was game. Boxleitner actually said he’s heard they could be ready to shoot a sequel to TRON: Legacy as soon as the end of 2014.

“All I know is, they don’t tell me anything, but they want to do it I would say probably the end of this year, for 2015 maybe,” Boxleitner said. “They don’t have any dates but I’m thinking from the scuttlebutt I’m hearing that’s it, but I don’t know anything for sure other than they do have a script they love, they’re still tweaking.”

The script is being written by Jesse Wigutow and David DiGilio, since Legacy writers Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz are now producing “Once Upon a Time.” Joseph Kosinski is still attached to direct.

If the film takes place more in the real world than “the grid,” as the end of Legacy suggests, Alan Bradley (Boxleitner) will have a bigger part. “That’s what I’m told, but you didn’t hear me say that,” Boxleitner joked. “I think it’s going to be a lot about taking the company back because if you remember Sam Flynn says to Alan at the end, just before he rides his bike off into the sunrise with Quorra, says, ‘We’re going to take the company back.’ That’s not the end of the movie. That’s the beginning of the next one. That’s foreshadowing. And you don’t get Cillian Murphy to do an unscripted cameo.”

As recently as our 2012 interview with Murphy he claimed he only played Edward Dillinger as a cameo, even though a short film on the TRON: Legacy Blu-ray says he is important.

“I got a feeling Eddie Dillinger Jr.’s going to be as bad as his dad was,” Boxleitner said.

We will have more on TRON: Legacy. End of line.

UPDATE: Kosinski Returns For TRON 3, Shoots This Fall In Vancouver
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin Faraci
    UPDATE: Right after I ran this story I was contacted by a trusted source who tells me that the movie is happening, and that Joseph Kosinski is back for it. So here it is, folks, Tron Legacy 2.

You know you live in an era of property-driven filmmaking when a movie like Tron, a flop, doesn't get just one sequel - which technically/kinda made money* but had no impact on the world - it also gets a second sequel. At leats that's according to local Vancouver blog VanCity Buzz, which reports that Tron 3 shoots there this fall.

First: VanCity Buzz is very much a local news source, not a hit-whoring movie blog. The report that they have seems to be coming from their local reporting, and so for me it's got a bit more truth to it than whatever nonsense nerdmovies.com makes up and submits to Reddit. And there have been a lot of rumors of a Tron 3 swirling about, even if nothing has ever come of it for the past five years. Could Disney have finally pulled the trigger?

The site says that Garrett Hedlund is attached to return, but that's about it. What the story will be is probably secondary, since if this movie is happening it's Disney's last attempt to move some toys and to maybe put together a collector's edition trilogy Blu (how many times will they make you buy Tron?). The big question isn't who is starring, but who is writing and directing. So far that's been the weakness in both Tron movies - they're spectacular looking bores. With their third at-bat I hope Disney dumps Joseph Kosinski and finds a filmmaker who understands not just the visuals but also the process of telling a compelling story.

* this is one of those times where it's very tough to figure out the truth of a financial situation. Tron Legacy barely made back its announced production budget domestically, and that doesn't even begin to cover marekting and stuff. It made more money international, but the general math holds that a film needs to make double its budget before it enters profitabliity. Worldwide, Legacy barely did that (especially if, like me, you find the official $170 million budget fishy). A film like this is supposed to drive ancillary sales - toys, games, cartoons - which it didn't, so the film's lack of a strong profit plus its inability to move merch make it kind of a loser.

TRON 3: Olivia Wilde Says Story Follows Quorra in the Real World; Confirms Filming Plans
    She's read the script and confirms the goal is to start shooting later this year.

Disney pulled the plug on this one.

^Can't say that I'm sad about it either. The best thing about Tron: Legacy was the soundtrack.

TRON 3: Disney Producer Still Hopeful For Sequel
    Now, in an interview with ScreenRant, producer and former Disney development executive Brigham Taylor has signaled that those hopes remain alive at the studio as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Chipman
    As part of an upcoming interview mainly focused on his work as producer of Jon Favreau’s live-action Jungle Book movie, Taylor mentioned Tron among multiple examples of Disney properties that have been revived as modern blockbusters despite not being major hits in their day. When pressed as to whether this meant there was still life in the cult-favorite sci-fi franchise, he had this to say:
    “I’m always hope for that. I just had a wonderful visit to Shanghai, where they have an amazing attraction based on Tron Legacy. The designers just did such an amazing job creating the feeling of stepping onto The Grid, and that indelible visual world that Lisberger created and Kosinski explored… and I think there’s a real stickiness to that that I hope can grow into a film or whatever else. So I don’t know what I’d “hint” at other than that I hope for that, and that there’s obviously been conversations.”

Collider Exclusive:
    Joseph Kosinski Reveals the Plot for ‘TRON 3’; Says It’s an “Invasion Movie”

JOSEPH KOSINSKI: I guess I can say that TRON 3 is in cryogenic freeze. So, it’s there. It’s not dead. It’s alive, but it’s sitting there, waiting for the right time to move forward. I mean, you have to remember that when we made TRON: Legacy, Disney did not own Marvel. Disney did not own Lucasfilm…they own everything now. But this was before they owned everything, so from the studio point of view, they have a certain number of slots and a certain amount of money to make movies and if you can make a Star Wars spinoff or another Marvel movie, which are all doing incredibly well, a TRON movie, even though I think it would do very well, the question is: Would it do as well as one of those? That is more the reason we haven’t seen another TRON is that Disney stock is flushed with really successful properties right now. But that doesn’t mean we won’t see one at one point.
    KOSINSKI: It definitely doesn’t have to be on a movie screen. I don’t know if you saw the TRON ride, which opened in Shanghai and was amazing…I think the TRON franchise is alive in rides and I think there’s still interest in exploring other things like VR, but as far as the TV show, I don’t know, I think that would be tough. As you saw on screen, so much of the world has to be created digitally. You can’t just go and film a TRON movie, or at least the TRON side of it, so I don’t know. I would never say never. There’s possibly a version of that, but that’s up to Disney.
    KOSINSKI: The movie was called, “TRON: Ascension”, I think that’s out there. I think we got the script to about 80%. We were in good shape. We were probably eight or nine months out, which is still a good amount of distance from being ready to shoot it, but I think the script was in good shape. What I’m excited about is the concept, which is an invasion movie from inside the machine coming out as opposed to one we’ve usually seen. So we hinted at that at the end of Legacy with Quorra coming out, but the idea for Ascension was a movie that was, the first act was in the real world, the second act was in the world of TRON, or multiple worlds of TRON, and the third act was totally in the real world. And I think that really opens up, blows open the concept of TRON in a way that would be thrilling to see on screen. But there’s also a really interesting character study in Quorra and a “Stranger in a Strange Land,” trying to figure out where she belongs having lived in the real world for a few years, and where does she fit in.
    KOSINSKI: I don’t see them having superpowers. I don’t see them being able to shoot lasers from their eyes or do what I would consider to be a superhero-type movie. But in her DNA itself, her being the first digital-human hybrid, there’s something in her being that allows objects from inside the Grid to exist in the real world and makes them permanent, so that was the idea. So I think the idea is strong, it’s just a matter of the right time and the right place and the stars aligning as they have to do for movies.

Jared Leto Circling 'Tron' Reboot at Disney (Exclusive)
    After cancelling a third installment in the sci-fi franchise in 2015, Disney is exploring the idea of a movie that would act as a Leto vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Borys Kit
    Sources say this new project is not a direct sequel and is being built out of the source code of the deleted Tron 3 script. Leto would play a character named Ares, who has not appeared on screen before but was a key player in that script.