Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warner Brothers goes Blu-ray exclusive!!!

Default Warner Brothers goes Blu-ray exclusive!!!

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssC...32340820080104

Well, thats it folks. This format war is pretty much over now. WB holds about 20% of the overall DVD sales. They hold the biggest market share. This format war is as good as over.

Sorry for those who have put so much money into HD-DVD. May you find some avenue to sell them and make your money back.

Default Re: Warner Brothers goes Blu-ray exclusive!!!

thats ballgame folks.

I wouldn't say that's it.

There's still a lot HD can do that blu ray cannot.

(I'm still hanging on to hope here, I haven't even hooked up my HD DVD player. And I'm going to send in for my five free HD DVDs this weekend.)

Besides, HD will upconvert to near HD quality. So I'll stick with the regular DVDs and any HD titles that interest me.

As for warner brothers, what movies do they make? Oh yes, Batman franchise....okay, I'm thinking of some now.

Nevermind.
    I'm a dog chasing cars. I don't know what I'd do if I caught one. I don't have plans. I just do things. I'm not a schemer.

I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you can't savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments.

I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger.

poor poor Paramount....such silly money hungry morons.

someone get Paramount a rag to wipe the egg out off their face

Quote Originally Posted by r-type View Post
    thats ballgame folks.
    I was going to type almost the same thing except say the fat lady. You stole my post man!

But yea that's it. BD to Time Warner! Ouch. That's every thing from AOL to Cable networks supporting this. If BD gets FOX or something it's all over for sure. Poor Paramount though. Now we have a good reason to go out an spend 400 bux on a PS3.

How do you think Paramount would like their Crow? Extra crispy or Baked?
    The only thing worse than stupid people are stupid people who bother me...
    Bumblebee1983:
    I'm da bomb.
    xXRavenXx:
    I'm Da Bomb... you can be my igniter though **Humms Light My Fire by The Doors** lol
    Bumblebee1983:
    As for being your igniter.....umm.....okay.
    xXRavenXx:
    **Thrilled with BB Raven sings afternoon delight from Anchorman**

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee1983 View Post
    I wouldn't say that's it.

There's still a lot HD can do that blu ray cannot.

(I'm still hanging on to hope here, I haven't even hooked up my HD DVD player. And I'm going to send in for my five free HD DVDs this weekend.)

Besides, HD will upconvert to near HD quality. So I'll stick with the regular DVDs and any HD titles that interest me.

As for warner brothers, what movies do they make? Oh yes, Batman franchise....okay, I'm thinking of some now.

Nevermind.
    HD-DVd is going to be hard pressed tp catch up now. WB has:

The Harry Potter series, 300, the Batman franchise, the Matrix franchise, the Ocean's franchise. Those are 5 HUGE hitters right there.

then they have Last Samurai, The Departed, V for Vendetta, Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang, etc...so many good movies

Just those 5 franchises alone are now a GIAGANTIC blow to HD-DVD

Quote Originally Posted by xAgonyxScenex View Post
    HD-DVd is going to be hard pressed tp catch up now. WB has:

The Harry Potter series, 300, the Batman franchise, the Matrix franchise, the Ocean's franchise. Those are 5 HUGE hitters right there.

then they have Last Samurai, The Departed, V for Vendetta, Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang, etc...so many good movies

Just those 5 franchises alone are now a GIAGANTIC blow to HD-DVD
    the newest Harry Potter was released in all three formats:

Blu Ray
    HD
    and regular DVD.

Kinda pisses me off. No, really pisses me off.

Okay, now I don't want to read anymore.

*goes and cries in corner*

Life as we know it, is over....*sniff*
    I'm a dog chasing cars. I don't know what I'd do if I caught one. I don't have plans. I just do things. I'm not a schemer.

I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you can't savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments.

Looks like Transformers will eventually be out on Blu-Ray after all. Glad I went dual format a few months back! I still think Blu-Ray might just end up being a PS3 movie format while HD downloads take over.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny LaPhlegm View Post
    Looks like Transformers will eventually be out on Blu-Ray after all. Glad I went dual format a few months back! I still think Blu-Ray might just end up being a PS3 movie format while HD downloads take over.
    there isn't one analyst who thinks HD downloads is going to take over any time in then ear future at all. Thats a WAAAAYs off. It will become the future..but not for a long long time. And what do you mean a PS3 movie format?

You know they make USB pen drives with 32GB on them already....

I'm just saying....

I still think the final death blow won't come until Blu Ray decides to make the "sacrifice" of chopping Blue Ray Player prices in half. Then the dominoes will fall quickly. And until Paramount gives in.... Which may not be anytime soon.... it ain't over yet. Dying, but not over.

And what do you mean a PS3 movie format?
    Currently, Blu-Ray's userbase is like 95% PS3 owners, who essentially got a blu-ray player for free when they bought a game console. A recent survey says that 75% of HDTV owners say regular DVD is "good enough for them", so the trick now is to expand the Blu-Ray userbase beyond PS3 users. Otherwise, like Johnny LaPhlegm said, Blu-Ray is going to become known as nothing more than "movies for PS3 owners".

Great news. Now hopefully we can all get on board one HD format and move on from standard DVDs.

Quote Originally Posted by ScarCrow28 View Post
    You know they make USB pen drives with 32GB on them already....

I'm just saying....

I still think the final death blow won't come until Blu Ray decides to make the "sacrifice" of chopping Blue Ray Player prices in half. Then the dominoes will fall quickly. And until Paramount gives in.... Which may not be anytime soon.... it ain't over yet. Dying, but not over.
    regardless.....its over...slow or not. Anybody supporting hd-dvd would be silly right now. people just need to jump on board on blu-ray and end this war now

Quote Originally Posted by Spanbauer
    Currently, Blu-Ray's userbase is like 95% PS3 owners, who essentially got a blu-ray player for free when they bought a game console. A recent survey says that 75% of HDTV owners say regular DVD is "good enough for them", so the trick now is to expand the Blu-Ray userbase beyond PS3 users. Otherwise, like Johnny LaPhlegm said, Blu-Ray is going to become known as nothing more than "movies for PS3 owners".
    Couldn't have said it better. The format war was NOT the biggest hurdle for mass adoption of HD media. It's that a majority of people think upconverted DVD is good enough and are not interested in spending $300 or more on a next-gen standalone player and $25+ for software. Add Blu-Ray's multiple profile debacle, and Joe 6-pack still has plenty of reason to wait it out. PS3 is not going to be able to sustain Blu-Ray. Look at UMD. We need hardware announcements at CES. Sub-$200 profile 2.0 standalone players asap. As for downloads, with services like Vudu coming to market, the seed of convenience will be planted. Look at mp3s. Everyone has an iPod even though the sound quality of 128k bps mp3s is vastly inferior to CD. But no one cares because you can fit a week's worth of music on the thing. Making HD DVD go away is only the first of a lot of hurdles Blu-Ray needs to overcome.

The only reson why i got a PS3 was becouse it's a cheaper way of me getting a blu-ray player.

PS3 here in Australia is $699 compared to some BLU-RAY player i have seen for $1000 to $1500.

Time Warner Inc.'s (TWX) Warner Bros. Entertainment Group unit will release its high-definition DVD titles exclusively in Blue-ray format beginning later this year.
    The move follows decisions by other entertainment companies, including Disney, Sony Corp.'s (SNE) Sony Pictures, News Corp.'s (NWS) Twentieth Century Fox and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer to back Blu-ray exclusively.
    Viacom Inc.'s (VIA) Paramount Pictures, which also owns DreamWorks SKG, recently dropped its support for Blu-ray and said it would start distributing films exclusively in the HD DVD format, along with Universal Pictures, a unit of General Electric (GE).
    Warner Bros. Entertainment Group said it will continue to release its titles in both standard DVD and Blu-ray formats. After a short window following their standard DVD and Blu-ray releases, all new titles will continue to be in high- definition DVD until the end of May 2008.
    In considering its decision, the company said a two-format landscape has led to consumer confusion and indifference toward high-definition, and kept technology from reaching mass adoption.
    "Consumers have clearly chosen Blu-ray, and we believe that recognizing this preference is the right step in making this great home entertainment experience accessible to the widest possible audience," said Kevin Tsujihara, president of the Warner Bros.
    Last edited by IMT Guyver; 01-05-2008 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanbauer View Post
    may i remind you what ps2 did for dvd. A recent poll was done and something like 80% of the 110 million PS2 owners said that the PS2 is their only DVD player. I think your under estimating the PS3 BIG time.

may i remind you what ps2 did for dvd. A recent poll was done and something like 80% of the 110 million PS2 owners said that the PS2 is their only DVD player. I think your under estimating the PS3 BIG time.
    It's funny you mention that. 7+ years ago, that was the case for me. When it first came out, the PS2 functioned as my sole dvd player back when I had about 5 movies on dvd.

CES HD DVD Press Conference canceled!!

"Based on the timing of the Warner Home Video announcement today, we have decided to postpone our CES 2008 press conference scheduled for Sunday, January 6th at 8:30 p.m. in the Wynn Hotel. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

We are currently discussing the potential impact of this announcement with the other HD DVD partner companies and evaluating next steps. We believe the consumer continues to benefit from HD DVD's commitment to quality and affordability - a bar that is critical for the mainstream success of any format.

We'll continue to keep you updated on new developments around HD DVD."

Hopefully this means they are evaluating an exit strategy!

hell, just look at Japan. The only reason anybody in Japan adopted DVD in the first place was the PS2. DVD had been around for about 3 years by the time the PS2 came out and hardly anybody in Japan had adopted the DVD until the PS2

Guys, guys, this may go on for a long long time.

Look at the internet media and how we can get our information and music and movies and so forth.

When CDs made their debut, tapes went out (slowly), but eventually faded out. With the emergence of mp3 players, iPods, and Zunes, CDs are still around. iPods have been around a little while too.

So HD DVDs may be around for a little while longer.

Just my two cents worth.

Guys, guys, this may go on for a long long time.

Look at the internet media and how we can get our information and music and movies and so forth.

When CDs made their debut, tapes went out (slowly), but eventually faded out. With the emergence of mp3 players, iPods, and Zunes, CDs are still around. iPods have been around a little while too.

So HD DVDs may be around for a little while longer.

Just my two cents worth.
    your talking about format's that were and will be the future. CD's took over tapes, and mp3 players will take over Cd's. Right now we have 2 formats competing fot the future. the correct statement would have been. DVD's will stay around much longer.

Your statement doesn't make sense with the facts you gave.

your talking about format's that were and will be the future. CD's took over tapes, and mp3 players will take over Cd's. Right now we have 2 formats competing fot the future. the correct statement would have been. DVD's will stay around much longer.

Your statement doesn't make sense with the facts you gave.
    Oh, well....*hmph*

Okay.

Shit, there goes LOTR.

Meh, I've spent enough on that trilogy anywhoos.

Moderator / formerly "Gunrock" The Great's Avatar

Shit, there goes LOTR.

Meh, I've spent enough on that trilogy anywhoos.
    you are so damn goofy. I read damn near all of your convos cause i always get at least a giggle out of everyone lmao