Thread: Cinematographer and DP

Default Cinematographer and DP

okay, so a cinematographer and a director of photography is the same thing, right? And they're the one responsible for the look of the shot(lighting, ect)? so most director use their DP do do the framing or choosing the angles of each shot? Where as Michael Bay will come up with all the shots himself.
    I guess what I'm confuse is that do all Director come up with the shot framing or the DP.
    My understanding is that the DP is the expert on the lens, lightning, film stocks, filter, etc. And the Director tell them what he/she wants the shot to look like?
    When some Cinematographer win Awards for Best Cinematography,isn't the director the one that come up with how the shot will look like? And the Dp just make it look like the director's vision.

*please excuse my weak English.

Default Re: Cinematographer and DP

Quote Originally Posted by tenhead View Post
    okay, so a cinematographer and a director of photography is the same thing, right? And they're the one responsible for the look of the shot(lighting, ect)? so most director use their DP do do the framing or choosing the angles of each shot? Where as Michael Bay will come up with all the shots himself.
    I guess what I'm confuse is that do all Director come up with the shot framing or the DP.
    My understanding is that the DP is the expert on the lens, lightning, film stocks, filter, etc. And the Director tell them what he/she wants the shot to look like?
    When some Cinematographer win Awards for Best Cinematography,isn't the director the one that come up with how the shot will look like? And the Dp just make it look like the director's vision.

*please excuse my weak English.

It depends on the Director. Some refuse to ask a DP and only use them to convey exactly what the director wants. Other directors rely on their DP to set up the shots, say what will look good, and what needs to change. Most of the time Cinematography is an entire department with the DP having the responsibility of telling the director what needs to change, or the director might take the DP seat at the camera, and just have the DP their for union purposes. It all depends on the director (from my experience)

SIDENOTE: You can be sure of one thing though, there are some directors who know how to do a DP's work, but in the end a DP is always the best person to consult if you aren't sure. Be it film, lens, lighting all of it. The ability of the director, and the ability of the DP also have bunches to do with it. It depends.
    Last edited by xXRavenXx; 01-04-2008 at 02:55 PM.
    The only thing worse than stupid people are stupid people who bother me...
    Bumblebee1983:
    I'm da bomb.
    xXRavenXx:
    I'm Da Bomb... you can be my igniter though **Humms Light My Fire by The Doors** lol
    Bumblebee1983:
    As for being your igniter.....umm.....okay.
    xXRavenXx:
    **Thrilled with BB Raven sings afternoon delight from Anchorman**

Quote Originally Posted by xXRavenXx View Post
    It depends on the Director. Some refuse to ask a DP and only use them to convey exactly what the director wants. Other directors rely on their DP to set up the shots, say what will look good, and what needs to change. Most of the time Cinematography is an entire department with the DP having the responsibility of telling the director what needs to change, or the director might take the DP seat at the camera, and just have the DP their for union purposes. It all depends on the director (from my experience)

SIDENOTE: You can be sure of one thing though, there are some directors who know how to do a DP's work, but in the end a DP is always the best person to consult if you aren't sure. Be it film, lens, lighting all of it. The ability of the director, and the ability of the DP also have bunches to do with it. It depends.
    Thank you for the replied. So with the case of Michael Bay, David Fincher,and Spielberg, for example, they would only used their DP to recreate exactly the shot they want,then.
    What about when they give awards to cinematographer? How would they know that the "look" was the DP's vision or the Director's vision? Like I drew up a blue print for a beautiful house but the builders get the award for it.
    When I watched a Wong Kar Wai movie, I'm wondering who came up with that "look" of his films (In the Mood for Love, 2047)? Him? or his DP? Christopher Doyle?

Quote Originally Posted by tenhead View Post
    Thank you for the replied. So with the case of Michael Bay, David Fincher,and Spielberg, for example, they would only used their DP to recreate exactly the shot they want,then.
    What about when they give awards to cinematographer? How would they know that the "look" was the DP's vision or the Director's vision? Like I drew up a blue print for a beautiful house but the builders get the award for it.
    When I watched a Wong Kar Wai movie, I'm wondering who came up with that "look" of his films (In the Mood for Love, 2047)? Him? or his DP? Christopher Doyle?
    I dunno about Bay Or Spielberg. I think Bay uses his DP, but Spielberg uses it sparingly.

Do you know who Tony Scott is? He is probably the best example of someone who has an idea and goes for it. Look at Man on Fire or Domino. They both have this look that is the way it is because the director knew how to use the film, and he knew what he wanted. David Lynch of Blue Velvet fame is another guy who knows what he wants and goes for it.

I've never worked as a DP so I don't know as much as a bunch of people do.

My guess (not knowing the director you're speaking of) is that he works with the same people and they know what he wants. Like Michael Bay. The Director most likely has his mind set (Tony Scott for example) and knows how to put translate it to film. They have shot that way and like the results.

The house thing is a good example. I'm not totally sure how that works.

EDIT:
    Here is what I'm trying to say this just says it better than I can
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinematographer
    The only thing worse than stupid people are stupid people who bother me...
    Bumblebee1983:
    I'm da bomb.
    xXRavenXx:
    I'm Da Bomb... you can be my igniter though **Humms Light My Fire by The Doors** lol
    Bumblebee1983:
    As for being your igniter.....umm.....okay.
    xXRavenXx:
    **Thrilled with BB Raven sings afternoon delight from Anchorman**

Quote Originally Posted by xXRavenXx View Post
    I dunno about Bay Or Spielberg. I think Bay uses his DP, but Spielberg uses it sparingly.

Do you know who Tony Scott is? He is probably the best example of someone who has an idea and goes for it. Look at Man on Fire or Domino. They both have this look that is the way it is because the director knew how to use the film, and he knew what he wanted. David Lynch of Blue Velvet fame is another guy who knows what he wants and goes for it.

I've never worked as a DP so I don't know as much as a bunch of people do.

My guess (not knowing the director you're speaking of) is that he works with the same people and they know what he wants. Like Michael Bay. The Director most likely has his mind set (Tony Scott for example) and knows how to put translate it to film. They have shot that way and like the results.

The house thing is a good example. I'm not totally sure how that works.

EDIT:
    Here is what I'm trying to say this just says it better than I can
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinematographer
    Oh yeah, how could I forget about Tony Scott. I love this guy. You should see his BMW short film. That's where he experimented shooting the way you see in Domino. You should try Wong Kar Wai's 2047. Check it out on youtube.
    Thank you for your Replied.