Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Transformers 3 will not only have more action but MORE COMEDY *sigh*

Default Re: Transformers 3 will not only have more action but MORE COMEDY *sigh*

Humour in a big budget action movie, "whodda thunk it?"

I fail to see why people get their collective panties in a twist to be honest. Comedy in a movie like this is all white noise to me, not all of it works, but some of it is hilarious ie: Simmons "One man.." line.

However the stuff I don't like, I just ignore, as its a tiny fraction of a 2 1/2 hr movie. We also have to remember that the source material has always had a goofy side to it in the past. It has never been dark in tone, and IMO never should be.

Default Re: Transformers 3 will not only have more action but MORE COMEDY *sigh*

I liked the humor in TF1. It was good and always fitting. However, Transformers 2 did everything wrong with the humor. A few examples:

1(by far the thing i mind the most). The humor interrupts epic scenes. Nearly every good scene is ruined by a stupid joke that takes all the tention away. Examples: Twins in Shangai Battle, Devastator Balls (totally ruins the character), Jetfires introduction, the arriving of the Decepticons (even if i dont really mind in this one), The sad scene after the arrival of the decepticons (leo and twins ruin everything), every single cool scene that involves simmons, nearly every scene in the end fight that could have been good is ruined by simmons and leo.

2. The jokes are not funny. There is not one joke in the movie that made me laugh. Not one.

3. The jokes are disgusting and disorianting. I dont want to see Simmons ass and i dont want to see fucking(literally) dogs. I also dont want to see fucking (literally) robots.

I dont mind comedy. I dont mind that comedy is a part of the franchise. I WANT it to be a part of the franchise. I think comedy was a great part of the first movie, because it was a great addition. However, the comedy took many scenes over in ROTF, which pretty much ruins the second half of the movie for me. Its not like there is a 10 minute long stupid scene that you could easilly skip end then dont mind again, nono, the stupidity always hits you when you least expect it and when you dont want it the most.

I wrote this on tfw2005 board, I'm just gonna copy it

He may've had a few hiccups in ROTF, but Bay is still probably one of the best comedy directors out there today.

The scene were Galloway gets thrown off the plane is fucking hilarious. There's great comic timing there. Also every time Jetfire appears it was comedy gold. And Simons' scenes too.

Funny how everybody who's watched it the theater describes the audience laughing their ass off. Which would mean that for every pissed off "critic" venting on the net there is the rest of a fully packed cinema house which were enjoying the movie. Pretty good ratio if you ask me. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by fu2kimus_prime View Post
    Humour in a big budget action movie, "whodda thunk it?"

I fail to see why people get their collective panties in a twist to be honest. Comedy in a movie like this is all white noise to me, not all of it works, but some of it is hilarious ie: Simmons "One man.." line.

However the stuff I don't like, I just ignore, as its a tiny fraction of a 2 1/2 hr movie. We also have to remember that the source material has always had a goofy side to it in the past. It has never been dark in tone, and IMO never should be.
    Exactly. The last thing we want is watching a Transformers movie, i.e. a one based off a toy line, that feels as dark as The Dark Knight.

I mean, right now, I got a totally awesome scene going on in my head right now that involves the Twins (that's right, I used the "T" word!) that the audience would love to see in a movie like this. I'm not gonna say it cuz...well...it might just happen in the movie and it would be a spoiler.

(And btw, I still have a soft spot for the Twins.)

Quote Originally Posted by alexsm View Post
    I think someone here need to re-see most Bay movies:

-Bad Boys: Lots of comedy elements
    -The Rock: Some comedy elements
    -Armageddom: Lots of comedy elements
    -Pearl Harbor: Moderate amount of comedy elements (most placed in the first hour)
    -Bad Boys 2: Lots of comedy elements
    -The Island: Moderate amount of comedy elements
    -Transformers: Lots of comedy elements
    -Transformers ROTF: Lots of comedy elements

So... you where expecting Transformers 3 without comedy elements? It's like expecting the movie to not have robots!
    i dont give a rats ass if all of bays other movies had comedy put em them, cuz ya know what, those movies arent TF3. and no duh, of course the third will have comedy. what action movie doesnt. im expectin it, the point is that RoTF used it to the extent of every freakin 30 seconds, and they werent even funny. it was annoying, and unnessasary after the first hour. instead of the film eventually getting on a serious note, it went to a higher level of comedy than what it started with. basically all the human characters ticked me off cuz ever word, reaction, and emotion they made had comedy sprawled all over it. you dont need that non stop. Transformers 1 did a perfect job with comedy, with the right humor at the right time. no excuse for another ROTF, no excuse at all. . .

Quote Originally Posted by almostthethird15 View Post
    i dont give a rats ass if all of bays other movies had comedy put em them, cuz ya know what, those movies arent TF3. and no duh, of course the third will have comedy. what action movie doesnt. im expectin it, the point is that RoTF used it to the extent of every freakin 30 seconds, and they werent even funny. it was annoying, and unnessasary after the first hour. instead of the film eventually getting on a serious note, it went to a higher level of comedy than what it started with. basically all the human characters ticked me off cuz ever word, reaction, and emotion they made had comedy sprawled all over it. you dont need that non stop. Transformers 1 did a perfect job with comedy, with the right humor at the right time. no excuse for another ROTF, no excuse at all. . .
    Finally someone that understands the problem that i have with ROTF.

I've never seen so many people so intense on anything from these boards like this. Then again, I wasn't here for initial reactions to TF1 by some diehard G1 fans.

Do I appreciate the humor, no. Does it annoy me, yes. Am I going to throw a fit about it, no.

Just don't go see it with your grandma.
    Call me Wolfie or Blade, your choice. And for the record, yes, I am female.
    Starscream is my snuggles and he loves me very much. <3

Quote Originally Posted by alexsm View Post

So... you where expecting Transformers 3 without comedy elements? It's like expecting the movie to not have robots!
    i would also like to point out that the series pretty much already doesnt have robots, cuz i dont know if youve noticed, but. . . ROTF did a god awful job of looking at the robots as characters. they literally only showed up to fight. none of em even barely had lines, and i sure dont recall alot of transforming in this film either. poor bots got so neglected. . its a shame the series will end now with the 3rd, considering the bots didnt get the screen time they deserved. in action aspects, yes!, they got their screen time, but no character development whatsoever. hell, TF1 did a better job of it. now you just made me go off topic

The mere mention of comedy in this interview has caused alot of negativity, which is disappointing but to be expected I guess.

However lets not forget the positives in this interview too, Bay has got to grips with 3D and hasn't had to change his style one bit. That fills me with promise that we'll be in for another visual treat, and jaw dropping action atleast.

i would also like to point out that the series pretty much already doesnt have robots, cuz i dont know if youve noticed, but. . . ROTF did a god awful job of looking at the robots as characters. they literally only showed up to fight. none of em even barely had lines, and i sure dont recall alot of transforming in this film either. poor bots got so neglected. . its a shame the series will end now with the 3rd, considering the bots didnt get the screen time they deserved. in action aspects, yes!, they got their screen time, but no character development whatsoever. hell, TF1 did a better job of it. now you just made me go off topic
    I do get this point, and understand that we always want more bots as Transformers fans. However I just don't think it's realistic to expect more than what we got at this point in time. It's still ridiculously expensive, and time consuming to render these characters, I think we have to lower our expectations in terms of screentime.

Quote Originally Posted by fu2kimus_prime View Post
    The mere mention of comedy in this interview has caused alot of negativity, which is disappointing but to be expected I guess.

However lets not forget the positives in this interview too, Bay has got to grips with 3D and hasn't had to change his style one bit. That fills me with promise that we'll be in for another visual treat, and jaw dropping action atleast.
    no doubt in my mind that bay will pull off a 3D spectacle. he doesnt full around when it comes to affects. i have very little faith in 3D, but i trust him on this one

no doubt in my mind that bay will pull off a 3D spectacle. he doesnt full around when it comes to affects. i have very little faith in 3D, but i trust him on this one
    I'm ok with 3D aslong as it is shot natively, and not done in post!

Well, TF1 did a good job at showing the personalitys, and ROTF had also some good scenes of that kind. I think the robots have enough screentime, but maybe they should focus less on making the transformers act like idiots but make more serious scenes with them. I mean, imagine how much we would have gotten from jetfire if it wasnt for these goddamn stupid jokes thrown in there, for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Crainy View Post
    Well, TF1 did a good job at showing the personalitys, and ROTF had also some good scenes of that kind. I think the robots have enough screentime, but maybe they should focus less on making the transformers act like idiots but make more serious scenes with them. I mean, imagine how much we would have gotten from jetfire if it wasnt for these goddamn stupid jokes thrown in there, for no reason.
    exactly, the concept of Jetfire was awesome, but ultimately he failed due to his voice and the comedy he portrayed in my opinion. i would have really loved to see him with a much more older, gruesome, dark sinister voice. seeing him on the commercials was awesome! i was like wow this dude will be epic!, but unfortunately no but iron hide had few lines, ratchet had like one, the twins and bumblebee were along for the ride in the desert for so long, yet they were shown in there car forms 75% of the time.

the fallen barely got any screen time, and absolutely no diceptions got character development cept for Megs and Starscream, who still got little screen time in my opinion. hell, we didnt even see any of the new decepticons transform, or learn their names. only saw the Devastator transformation. not to mention the bike autobots, jolt, and sideswipe were really neglected. and of course there was optimus, but he has an excuse cuz he. . . well, . . died. i think the film definately had time for this kind of character development considering all the times spent in the desert and whatnot drivin to every other known place on the planet. it was just a matter of how to approach it and equalling out the characters screen time. yet of course, there was that writers strike. cuz i was really bummed, cuz bay said they were goin to go deeper in the robots' character, but unfortunatly not

What you are saying is basically that we got alot of robot screen time, but to many different robots, which leads me to another problem with ROTF. All of the robots were "somewhat introduced" but not much. They could have deleted half of the characters from the movie and have their jobs done by the other characters, so these characters get more screentime and have more development. The not important characters like arcee should have been like jolt, not introduced, nothing really to do, just cannonfooder.

They should have focused ROTF more. Also, the twins got to much screentime and their role could have been easily done better by other robots, which then would have gotten more screentime and more development.

One thing i never understood and probably THE thing i would want to have in ROTF: Why the hell didnt the constructicons pursued sam and bumblebee while they were traveling through the deserts? That would have made some awesome villians and some intence hide and seek scenes. Delete the police car scenes, add constructions! Then delete Twins and Arcee from important roles and give them to sideswipe. Then sideswipe would have had three times as much screentime.
    Delete grindor from the forest battle. Give the role to soundwave. BAM. Soundwave would have had more screentime and another unnecessary character would have been left out.

Like this, the scenes in the end battle would actually had some impact: The devastator transformation would have finally shown the final form of the villians that pursued sam (constructicons), the fight against rampage would have finally confronted sam with the villan who hunted for them and then we would be much more happy when bumblebee kills him off.

Anyone? Anyone thinks that would have worked better? Anyone?

And yeah, the fallen was a HUGE disappointment in the end.

What you are saying is basically that we got alot of robot screen time, but to many different robots, which leads me to another problem with ROTF. All of the robots were "somewhat introduced" but not much. They could have deleted half of the characters from the movie and have their jobs done by the other characters, so these characters get more screentime and have more development. The not important characters like arcee should have been like jolt, not introduced, nothing really to do, just cannonfooder.

They should have focused ROTF more. Also, the twins got to much screentime and their role could have been easily done better by other robots, which then would have gotten more screentime and more development.

One thing i never understood and probably THE thing i would want to have in ROTF: Why the hell didnt the constructicons pursued sam and bumblebee while they were traveling through the deserts? That would have made some awesome villians and some intence hide and seek scenes. Delete the police car scenes, add constructions! Then delete Twins and Arcee from important roles and give them to sideswipe. Then sideswipe would have had three times as much screentime.
    Delete grindor from the forest battle. Give the role to soundwave. BAM. Soundwave would have had more screentime and another unnecessary character would have been left out.

Like this, the scenes in the end battle would actually had some impact: The devastator transformation would have finally shown the final form of the villians that pursued sam (constructicons), the fight against rampage would have finally confronted sam with the villan who hunted for them and then we would be much more happy when bumblebee kills him off.

Anyone? Anyone thinks that would have worked better? Anyone?

And yeah, the fallen was a HUGE disappointment in the end.
    once again, i agree with you all the way. there was alot of bots introduced, a bit too much. its a shame that a good portion didnt have the screen time they deserved, and that it was all handed over to the humans. thats why its sorta sad that the 3rd will be the last. i feel that once it ends, we wont have the transformers truly represented as characters. basically it all came down to RoTF to fulfill this need, but since it didnt succeed in this, the greatest potential of the series (giant robots as awesome characters we actually care about), will suffer immensly. Now here comes the third, with lots of characters still fully unfocused on, and a hole new batch of bots also added to the mix. i sure hope they do this film right. . .

WAIT A FUCK NUGGET????? MORE COMEDY?!?!?!!!! ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING?!!?!??!?!?!? I THOUGHT THAT ROTF WAS RUINED BY ALL THE REALLY BAD OVER THE TOP JOKES THAT TOTALLY STOLE THE SHOW!!=?!?!!?=)?!)!="$/!)"=$)=!"=?!!?!!?!!!!!!!!!

Fuck. I hope this is not true, or atleast, its not what we think. More comedy.... yeah fuck me, guys, TF will no longer be an action movie, noooo it will be a comedy movie first now. Great, fuck. FUCK. Did i mentioned how much i hate this??? I hope its not true. I dont think its true. MB himself sayed that it will be darker. The title is "DARK of the moon". The title is "DARK of the moon". The title is "DARK of the moon". The title is "DARK of the moon". The title is "DARK of the moon". The title is "DARK of the moon". The title is "DARK of the moon". The title is "DARK of the moon". The title is "DARK of the moon". The title is "DARK of the moon". DARK. DARK. DARK. That means it will have less comedy, or? That means it will be more serious, or? I trust in Michael Bay. I trust in Michael Bay. I trust in Michael Bay. I trust in Michael Bay. I trust in Michael Bay. I trust in Michael Bay. I trust in Michael Bay. I trust in Michael Bay. I trust in Michael Bay. I trust in Michael I trust in Michael Bay. I trust in Michael Bay. I trust in Michael Bay.

FUUU********************************************** UUUCK.
    WIN!

Yea the comedy statement by Lorenzo really scares me. Like really. I was hopping this one be very gritty and emotional.

Nelson needs to step in and calm us all down.

I liked the humor in both movies.

But I'm an immature, unsophisticated, and uncultured moron... I think. I'm not sure what those words mean.

It's a movie based on TOOOOOOOOOYS, which are played with by KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDS, who think stupid humor is FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNY!!!!!!

Bring on more humor! Bring on more robots! Bring on more Bayhem!

Ed Fuego
    "can you ban people who put other members quotes in their sig? if that is not a tell all sign that a person is going to be annoying i don't know what is."
    - thegreat

Why taking just one remark by LDB so seriously, while Bay, Shia and Dempsy say it'll be darker?

Besides, original cartoons were more comedic than live action movies IIRC.

For example, does anyone still remember when Autobots were watching an Earth-made soap opera through the monitor screen of Teletraan 1 and complaining about the interruption of it by an important newsflash, and when a crocodile in a sewer ran away with a head of Optimus Prime.. and those strange people in Eurythma, not to mention Kremzeek who're funny but more annoying than Twins? Also the franchise had an infamous non-work-safe Kiss Players line.

Marvel, DW and IDW's comics lines have tended to be serious and darker. But I wonder where people got the idea that Transformers franchise should always be as darker as possible.

But, over all, I have no doubt Bay knows that fans want to see more emotional robot screentime, great transformations and epic battles.

Quote Originally Posted by sora View Post
    Why taking just one remark by LDB so seriously, while Bay, Shia and Dempsy say it'll be darker?

Besides, original cartoons were more comedic than live action movies IIRC.

For example, does anyone still remember when Autobots were watching an Earth-made soap opera through the monitor screen of Teletraan 1 and complaining about the interruption of it by an important newsflash, and when a crocodile in a sewer ran away with a head of Optimus Prime.. and those strange people in Eurythma, not to mention Kremzeek who're funny but more annoying than Twins? Also the franchise had an infamous non-work-safe Kiss Players line.

Marvel, DW and IDW's comics lines have tended to be serious and darker. But I wonder where people got the idea that Transformers franchise should always be as darker as possible.
    In other words, by having silly, immature humor in the movie, the filmmakers are doing nothing more than staying true to the source material! And yet the G1'ers complain...why?

Personally, I think TF3 can still have same or more portion of comedies in it. The only thing that Michael Bay should avoid is "Silly Jokes" ( for example:Simmons stripping of his pants, Mojo boning Frankie etc) and replace it with a "good Jokes" ( Epps's Orange smoke throw). Not all jokes can be considering as comedies since some of them especially those Silly Jokes can be insulting, annoying etc (depends on one's POV). Just my two cents.

I don't mind humor in movies..actually it makes them worth seeing...but come on..Devastator with freaking balls? And the Twins bickering all the time? It can be too much.There was parts of the humor I liked..but some of it should have been left out IMO.
    Those, who deny freedom to others, deserve it not for themselves. Abraham Lincoln

The type of comedy I hope they are refering to is "Sam's backyard in tf1" as opposed to "The Twins and Simmon's ass"
    >Strangetown< A webcomic based (loosely) on the North Wales town of Llandudno. Go on you know you want to!

There once was a tale about a man who can turn invisible.....

I'm actually kind of glad there's still going to be quite a bit of humour in Transformers. As others have indicated, it's always been there in G1 (and quite a bit of it in Beast Wars, I'll add) - it gives a bit of variety and has helped to make Transformers as a franchise more enjoyable to me as a viewer. I personally find dark, gritty movies to be far less enjoyable to watch, especially when there's little to no humour.

This news changes little for me - I'll still go to watch it at the first opportunity when it's released.