Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Pacific Rim

Not one of their best ones.

Default Re: Pacific Rim

Quote Originally Posted by Hardkore View Post
    A total bad ass video Hardkore!! It really shows how much you can make with CGI!! I'm so waiting for the Blu-ray release, so that I can watch it at home again! One of this years best movies hands down!

Mind: California. Body: Between US & Europe.

You knew this was coming...

Honest trailer a.k.a. "We really hate this movie but we don't want to fully admit it":

"You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

Quote Originally Posted by Bayhem View Post
    You knew this was coming...

Honest trailer a.k.a. "We really hate this movie but we don't want to fully admit it":

YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fupWquPNoTc
    Love the part about the sword. I was thinking the same thing..Definitely should've led with that.

'Pacific Rim' Marketing Exec Exits Legendary for Paramount (Exclusive)
    The move is part of a marketing shakeup that sees executive VP Joel Chiodo leaving to join Paramount and fellow marketing executive VP Christopher Erb let go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatiana Siegel
    Joel Chiodo, the Legendary Pictures executive in charge of marketing Pacific Rim, has left the company.

Legendary also has let go of Christopher Erb, who had been brought over in June from EA Sports to head up the company's brand strategy.

Sources say Chiodo, who had been an executive VP of branding and social marketing, left on his own accord to join Paramount Pictures. The studio confirmed the move.

Legendary has been shaking up its marketing ranks over the past few weeks. The company recently hired Emily Castel as its chief marketing officer (earlier in the year, Legendary bought the company she founded, Five33).

Erb, who had been an executive VP brand marketing, left EA Sports to oversee Legendary's social media and consumer marketing campaigns for such upcoming films as Godzilla (which Warner Bros. will release May 16) and Seventh Son (which Universal will release Feb. 6, 2015).

Both Chiodo and Erb reported to Legendary president and chief creative officer Jon Jashni.

Legendary, the finance and production company behind The Dark Knight films and The Hangover trilogy, made a number of significant moves in 2013, leaving its longtime partner Warner Bros. to team up with Universal Pictures, where it will co-finance a chunk of the studio's slate.

Released July 12, the $200 million Pacific Rim was initially dismissed as a high-priced bomb. But the film made a huge showing internationally, particularly in China, and wound up with a $408 million worldwide haul.

Legendary declined to comment.

Default Re: Pacific Rim 2

Legendary Pictures CEO and Producer Thomas Tull Talks GODZILLA, His Love for the Character, Handling Comic-Con, PACIFIC RIM 2, and More
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Goldberg
    Goldberg:
    I dont mean to come out with so much skepticism, Im just curious about Godzilla and Dracula, these beloved properties. Also you had an original with Pacific Rim, I really enjoyed that film a lot and it did incredibly well overseas, and I was just curious whats the status of the sequel?

TULL:

We love being in business with Guillermo and frankly that movie, if you look it up, did I think more business than the first X-Men, did more than Batman Begins, our first movie, did more than Superman Returns, The Fast and the Furious, Star Trek- so for a movie that was an original property that we made up its done really well. It did north of 400 million dollars globally and both the home video sales and the merchandise have way over-indexed, so it seems like fans really loved the world. So were going to sit down with Guillermo and as long as we think its authentic and theres something to say, were certainly open to it.
    Box Office Mojo:
    Total Lifetime Grosses
    Domestic: $101,802,906 24.8%
    + Foreign: $309,200,000 75.2%
    = Worldwide: $411,002,906

Default Re: Pacific Rim vs Godzilla

This is taken from the text that the link leads to and is the reason why I liked Pacific Rim a hell of a lot more than Godzilla.
    But in Godzilla, the main point of the story is to be rescued. All our efforts to fight the MUTO are doomed to fail, and it's only when Godzilla randomly decides to fight them off that we're saved. In fact, there's a scene where one of the scientists essentially says that our only hope is for Godzilla to save the world while we run away. Like Ford with his son, Godzilla becomes our parent figure, protecting us from destruction. This is a perfect emotional touch in a movie that works in part by infantilizing its audience.
    Godzilla may have succeeded because it treated its audiences more like kids, leading them gradually into an unfamiliar world and guiding them with a parental hand, instead of forcing them to imagine growing up and fighting for themselves.
    "It's only when Godzilla randomly decides to fight them off that we're saved". Randomly? Really?
    "Succeeded because it treated its audiences more like kids". Kids? Is this guy serious?
    Instead of randomly as this guy writes, it's more like Godzilla, being a mutated lizard, suddenly got the intelligence of a human to realize that if it don't kill the MUTOS, they will breed and grow in numbers and eventually take over the world and kill him as well. So it comes to the conclusion that if it kills the MUTOS and survives, humans will most likely let it live instead of killing it, cause he's the hero of the day and the humans new best friend, even if it happens to be one giant lizard.
    And this would make us feel more like kids? It doesn't make us feel more like kids. The movie treats it's audiences like they were idiots! Not kids. Idiots!
    At least in Pacific Rim, the Kaiju's wanna take over the world an kill everything in it, though they are not very intelligent when they send these monsters to take over the world. They send their weakest ones first and then send stronger and stronger as the humans keeps killing them. Why not just send the best you got right away and if it gets killed, then you'll know to stay the hell away from that place?
    It's like if you wanted to take over a town. Why first send a man with a pistol if you have a M1 Abrams battle tank in your arsenal?
    In Godzilla the movie makers just assume that we would accept that Godzilla would be able to make intelligent decisions and help humans by being their new best friend, instead of being an animal with animal instincts and attack humans if it's attack himself and stay in hiding rest of the time and try to avoid humans all together. Well, you know what they say about assumption right? Assumption is the mother of all fuckups...

Quote Originally Posted by frolunda71 View Post
    Instead of randomly as this guy writes, it's more like Godzilla, being a mutated lizard, suddenly got the intelligence of a human to realize that if it don't kill the MUTOS, they will breed and grow in numbers and eventually take over the world and kill him as well.
    You don't understand animal instincts very much do you? The MUTOs would have deprived Godzilla of his natural food source, and it's established quite clearly that in the past, the Godzilla species naturally fought against the MUTOs all the time. They were natural enemies. Godzilla didn't show up "just to save the humans", he was totally ignorant of humanity. He didn't give a damn about the humans. He appeared because he heard the MUTOs' mating calls. Did you even watch the movie?

In Godzilla the movie makers just assume that we would accept that Godzilla would be able to make intelligent decisions and help humans by being their new best friend, instead of being an animal with animal instincts and attack humans if it's attack himself and stay in hiding rest of the time and try to avoid humans all together.
    Godzilla wasn't trying to "help humans by being their new best friend" though. He was seeking out his natural enemy, acting on as legitimate an animal instinct as any other. He had no reason to attack humans. Consider how long he's been alive. Humanity has only existed for a very small fraction of his lifespan. He wouldn't have any real reason to attack us because we're like ants to him. He avoided things like the aircraft carrier because they were large objects in his path, not because he was trying to be friendly with the humans on board. It was just an obstacle to him.

Maybe you should see the movie again, and this time pay attention. And don't get cute and repeat that back to me. I've seen it three times. I'm right.

Godzilla didnt live up to my expectations.

Okay there are good things about the movie that Im not taking away. This Godzilla was better looking than the one in the first Godzilla US film. But lets not confuse that with originality. Originality wise, the design of this Godzilla was just copied from the Japanese Godzilla. So hey its not as if theyve put a lot of effort in the design of the creature. In fact the first US film Godzilla design was more original since it was really designed from scratch and not copied from the Japanese design. Unfortunately originality does not always translate to box office hit. And the first US Godzilla film tanked.

Effects wise, okay Ill give it to them. This Godzilla film had good effects. Story wasnt bad. But it lacked the intensity action-wise. Overall Pacific Rim really set the benchmark high and leaves this Godzilla film half-dead.

And after watching X-Men DOFP I totally forgot everything about Godzilla. X-Men just kinda took over. Because it was just so good. Want to be impressed? Watch X-Men DOFP. I totally recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Horror Sober View Post
    You don't understand animal instincts very much do you? The MUTOs would have deprived Godzilla of his natural food source, and it's established quite clearly that in the past, the Godzilla species naturally fought against the MUTOs all the time. They were natural enemies. Godzilla didn't show up "just to save the humans", he was totally ignorant of humanity. He didn't give a damn about the humans. He appeared because he heard the MUTOs' mating calls. Did you even watch the movie?

Godzilla wasn't trying to "help humans by being their new best friend" though. He was seeking out his natural enemy, acting on as legitimate an animal instinct as any other. He had no reason to attack humans. Consider how long he's been alive. Humanity has only existed for a very small fraction of his lifespan. He wouldn't have any real reason to attack us because we're like ants to him. He avoided things like the aircraft carrier because they were large objects in his path, not because he was trying to be friendly with the humans on board. It was just an obstacle to him.

Maybe you should see the movie again, and this time pay attention. And don't get cute and repeat that back to me. I've seen it three times. I'm right.
    "The MUTOs would have deprived Godzilla of his natural food source" and that would be nuclear energy right? since that's what the MUTOs ate in the movie. So, how come hasn't Godzilla attacked any nuclear power plants if he feeds on nuclear power? Maybe cause wasn't he living in a cave so deep that it got it's energy from the Earths core? So he showed up only cause he heard the MUTOs calling each other and knew that if they would breed and multiply, they would kill him, so he had to kill them first. And how did the humans react to Godzilla? They let him fight the MUTOs and just let him swim away at the end. Yeah right. The US military would have used everything in it's arsenal all from Tomahawk cruise missiles to MOAB (Massive Ordnance Air Blast) bombs to napalm to blow Godzilla to pieces till the military would have no bombs left. And that is the main reason why the movie is so stupid. The humans don't even try to kill it and therefore I see it in the way that the humans think of Godzilla as their new best friend, only cause he killed the MUTOs and they let him live only because of that.
    And don't worry, I'm not gonna spend any money to see it again. Tonight I'm gonna do what Razor wrote and see X-Men: Days of Future Past and after that Godzilla will be forgotten all together.

"The MUTOs would have deprived Godzilla of his natural food source" and that would be nuclear energy right? since that's what the MUTOs ate in the movie. So, how come hasn't Godzilla attacked any nuclear power plants if he feeds on nuclear power? Maybe cause wasn't he living in a cave so deep that it got it's energy from the Earths core? So he showed up only cause he heard the MUTOs calling each other and knew that if they would breed and multiply, they would kill him, so he had to kill them first. And how did the humans react to Godzilla? They let him fight the MUTOs and just let him swim away at the end. Yeah right. The US military would have used everything in it's arsenal all from Tomahawk cruise missiles to MOAB (Massive Ordnance Air Blast) bombs to napalm to blow Godzilla to pieces till the military would have no bombs left. And that is the main reason why the movie is so stupid. The humans don't even try to kill it and therefore I see it in the way that the humans think of Godzilla as their new best friend, only cause he killed the MUTOs and they let him live only because of that.
    And don't worry, I'm not gonna spend any money to see it again. Tonight I'm gonna do what Razor wrote and see X-Men: Days of Future Past and after that Godzilla will be forgotten all together.
    The humans didn't even try to kill it? They dropped a nuke on it in '54 and that didn't do it, so they knew they'd have to try and kill it with an even bigger nuke.

Which they did. Except the MUTOs screwed up their plan. Try watching it again, and this time don't roll your eyes and scoff every five seconds. That's a good way to miss important scenes.

Enjoy "Wolverine saves the world again" while Bryan Singer is still getting work.

Yay, discussing MUTOs and how Godzilla is "bad" and Wolverine and all. In PACIFIC RIM THREAD.

Nice.

Note, both X-Men and Godzilla are fucking amazing. End of story. Prefer the one you want sure, but both are brilliant.

If they ever do a Pacific Rim/Godzilla crossover, I hope it'll be it's own continuity separate from the current Legendary Godzilla.

Also, it would be a perfect opportunity to bring this guy in:

CBM:
    ELEKTRA Screenwriter & Guillermo del Toro Working On PACIFIC RIM 2 Script
    While promoting his new FX television series The Strain Guillermo del Toro told Buzzfeed that he has been secretly working on a script for Pacific Rim 2 with X-Men: The Last Stand screenwriter Zak Penn.

Buzz Feed:
    Pacific Rim 2 Script In The Works, Says Guillermo del Toro
    The director also tells BuzzFeed that two fan-favorite characters are set to return.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarett Wieselman
    Im working very, very hard with Zak Penn, he told BuzzFeed. Weve been working for a few months now in secret. We found a way to twist it around. Travis Beacham [co-writer of the first film, now working on Foxs Hieroglyph] was involved in the storyline and now Im writing with Zak because Travis has become a TV mogul.

While the filmmaker stressed that Legendary Pictures has not formally agreed to put the script into production, he said that he and Penn are working on it as if it will be made one day.

I dont have the money, but Im proceeding like it is happening, he said with a laugh, adding that he hopes to tackle the sequel after producing his next project.

Del Toro also revealed that the script, as it stands now, includes the characters Raleigh Becket (Charlie Hunnam) and Mako Mori (Rinko Kikuchi) and the story will follow the events of the first movie.

Some people were wondering if we were going to do the prequel. I was never interested in doing that first wave of invasion, del Toro said. Im going for very new, very crazy ideas on the second one, which are very different from the first one but you will get really great spectacle.

While Pacific Rim was a very modest hit in the U.S., grossing $101.8 million domestically, it was a sensation overseas, pulling in $309.2 million internationally (including $111.9 million in China alone). Legendary Pictures Chief Thomas Tull recently told the website I Am Rogue that his production company would only make Pacific Rim 2 if we can crack the story [and] we all think its great, and if del Toro is on board to direct it.

A rep for Legendary did not immediately have comment for this story.

Hope they get the green light to do the second one. I really liked the first one cause it was so totally different compared to Transformers in the way that the action was slow and literally heavy and not fast cut like Transformers where you barely see what happens with all the transformations and shootings and split second cutting all happening at the same time. 2017 might be the year when we see Pacific Rim 2 if they get the script written in the near future and the movie gets the green light from the movie company. Just gotta keep my thumbs up and hope that they'll make the movie.

Hope they get the green light to do the second one. I really liked the first one cause it was so totally different compared to Transformers in the way that the action was slow and literally heavy and not fast cut like Transformers where you barely see what happens with all the transformations and shootings and split second cutting all happening at the same time.

Well, let's balance things out then. At least most of the battles in "Transformers" occur during daylight and you can actually see the creatures on the screen. "Pacific Rim" on the other hand is night, night, night + water. It's like they were too cheap to show a big battle in broad daylight. So thanks, but no thanks.

I enjoyed 'Pacific Rim", but I have no intention of seeing it again. "Transformers" wins in my book. By a mile.

I like Del Toro, I think he's a good fantasy director, but when it comes to pure action cinema Bay is heads and tails above him. It's not even a contest.
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

Well, let's balance things out then. At least most of the battles in "Transformers" occur during daylight and you can actually see the creatures on the screen. "Pacific Rim" on the other hand is night, night, night + water. It's like they were too cheap to show a big battle in broad daylight. So thanks, but no thanks.

I enjoyed 'Pacific Rim", but I have no intention of seeing it again. "Transformers" wins in my book. By a mile.

I like Del Toro, I think he's a good fantasy director, but when it comes to pure action cinema Bay is heads and tails above him. It's not even a contest.

Hey Bayhem, have you seen his other films like Cronos, Devil's Backbone, Mimic (better in it's blu-ray Director's Cut) and Pan's Labyrinth to stuff he produced like The Orphanage? great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    Hey Bayhem, have you seen his other films like Cronos, Devil's Backbone, Mimic (better in it's blu-ray Director's Cut) and Pan's Labyrinth to stuff he produced like The Orphanage? great stuff.
    I've seen them all and I've enjoyed them all. "Mimic" is pretty underrated and "The Orphanage" is actually one of my favorite horror films. I would also add "Don't Be Afraid of the Dark" (the new version with Katie Holmes). Del Toro and Troy Nixey did a great job with that movie. At least in my view.

I like both movies a lot, but what Bay has done with Transformers is that the action has gotten faster and faster in every movie. In the first one you really could see all the transformations and the action was great and not so fast and that's why it's still my favorite one. Then in DOTM it was like three times faster and the Optimus jetpack scene is one of those scenes were all happens so fast that you sit and just watch and think shit that was cool! and then afterwards you're like what the hell happened there? In five seconds he flies down a street, lands, loses his jetpack, kills like seven Decepticons of which you have no idea who they were and then the action just goes on. Only Bay can pull off those scenes and make the movie still look cool. But as I said, I liked Pacific Rim a lot cause when I saw it at the movies, you could feel the weight in every punch in your stomach when the robots fought the monsters. The sound was so loud that it was just awesome. Then that the fights happened at night I had no problem with cause everything still looked great on the screen. I watched it at home on Blu-ray a while ago on my 46" TV and it still looked just as good as it did at the movies. I still have to wait a month for AOE and I hope that it's gonna be the best one yet and not all the action scenes are gonna be fast and speedy like the one where Optimus rides to town on Grimlock and jumps and kills like three-four Decepticons in three seconds.

I like both movies a lot, but what Bay has done with Transformers is that the action has gotten faster and faster in every movie. In the first one you really could see all the transformations and the action was great and not so fast and that's why it's still my favorite one.

I see what you mean, but we have to look at the big picture here. Bay's action style was always fast and aggressive, ever since "Bad Boys 1". And I don't really see anything different in his "Transformers" franchise. Sometimes he shoots an action scene with 10 different cameras and, as you would expect, during editing he takes advantage of all that footage. He's not doing it to cover some flaws, it's just how he likes to present his action sequences. Fast. Personally I think "Bad Boys 2" is his most aggressive (action-wise) and fast-paced movie to date, but that's not a problem for me. I've been following the guy's career for more than 15 years, I know exactly what to expect, and I have no problem with his fast cuts and kinetic camera work. I actually appreciate his approach.

And not to trash the late Tony Scott (I love his work), but his last few movies are 10 times faster (action/editing/camera-wise) than Bay's movies. Watch Scott's "Unstoppable" and then watch Bay's "Dark of the Moon" and you'll see what I mean.

Speaking for myself, I actually prefer the fast action-style of Bay, Scott, Greengrass and Dominic Sena. Yes, there are a lot of people who don't like the shaky-cam and the fast cuts, but you know what - I love it all. It just works for me.

There's place for all types of filmmakers and I think we can agree that Bay has earned his right to shoot his action the way he wants to shoot it. Thankfully he's not influenced by his detractors and he sticks to his guns. For 20 years now.

By the way, Del Toro's "Blade 2" is also known for its fast action sequences. Some scenes actually rival the crazy action in "Bad Boys 2". So it seems that Del Toro also has a soft spot for "fast action".

P.S. With all of this I'm not trying to change your views on the matter. It's just my observation and opinion.

I like both movies a lot, but what Bay has done with Transformers is that the action has gotten faster and faster in every movie. In the first one you really could see all the transformations and the action was great and not so fast and that's why it's still my favorite one. Then in DOTM it was like three times faster and the Optimus jetpack scene is one of those scenes were all happens so fast that you sit and just watch and think shit that was cool! and then afterwards you're like what the hell happened there? In five seconds he flies down a street, lands, loses his jetpack, kills like seven Decepticons of which you have no idea who they were and then the action just goes on. Only Bay can pull off those scenes and make the movie still look cool. But as I said, I liked Pacific Rim a lot cause when I saw it at the movies, you could feel the weight in every punch in your stomach when the robots fought the monsters. The sound was so loud that it was just awesome. Then that the fights happened at night I had no problem with cause everything still looked great on the screen. I watched it at home on Blu-ray a while ago on my 46" TV and it still looked just as good as it did at the movies. I still have to wait a month for AOE and I hope that it's gonna be the best one yet and not all the action scenes are gonna be fast and speedy like the one where Optimus rides to town on Grimlock and jumps and kills like three-four Decepticons in three seconds.

I really don't understand this kind of criticism about action scenes of bay's films. You can't barely see what's happening? I surely can see them! Yeah, his movies are fast and aggressive. But today is not 1990s, but 2010s. His style is so familiar. And as film critic Scott Foundas & Director Joseph Kahn said, Bay's action sequences are constructed in more classical way than today's many chaotic movies like Bourne series or found footage/shaky cam movies or whatever.
    And I think Transformers 1 has most unrecognizable & aggressive action scenes in the series. Sequels, especially third one because of 3d, have longer shot length and use many slow motions in action scenes. So those films convey information and energy and emotion in actions more clearly.

I'm not criticizing Bay as director. I have ALL his movies on Blu-ray and dvd. I wouldn't have bought them if I didn't like his movies.
    In my case, the whole Pacific Rim vs Transformers was about the speed in the action scenes. What I meant by saying that I liked the slow and heavy speed in Pacific Rim cause it was a total opposite to the fast paced speed in Transformers and in that way the movie isn't a Transformers rip off or a wanna be movie. I've heard and read that people didn't wanna see Pacific Rim cause it was just another Transformers movie. Then there are scenes in Transformers that are really fast and a lot happens in a couple of seconds and you really have to look hard to notice everything that happens, but at the same time those scenes are almost every time the highlight scenes in the movies cause they give you that what I call "Did you just see that shit?!! That was awesome!" feeling and you are more amazed of what you just saw than thinking of what just happened there.
    So as I said before I like both movies a lot and hope that AOE will be the best Transformers so far and that the movie company will give the green light to Pacific Rim 2 as well.