Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Pacific Rim

Default Re: Pacific Rim

This movie wears the term "summer blockbuster" with pride, and it's not afraid to show it. That is something to be admired. It's so clear that GDT made this movie for the little kid in all of us.

The music got me so pumped! Especially that guitar riff. "DA NA NA NA NAAAAAAAAAAA!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bot of Badassness View Post
    You need to re-check your facts. Of course some of your points are matter of opinion, but you are going against some facts there too.
    Going against facts ? What facts ?
    Do you want to negate the fact that Transformers3 action sequences and fights are shorter, that they re-used CGI models and the CGI is nothing new and not as massive and detailed as on Transformers2 ?
    Does Transformers3 feature any top-notch long fight scene like the forest battle on Transformers2, perhaps ? No, it doesn't. So ?

So these box office numbers are...troubling. I mean—don't get me wrong—I shouldn't give a damn about how well the movie does as long as I enjoyed it myself, but my biggest fear is what this means for future blockbusters that are NOT sequels, prequels, remakes, reboots, adaptations, or based on a true story. Hollywood isn't going to want to take any more risks after this. They're gonna want to stick to the same shit we're all familiar with. (I'll make with an exception with Transformers 4 because, you know, Transformers. *waves hi to Michael Bay*)

It sucks, because Pacific Rim was such a breath of fresh air.

Mind: California. Body: Between US & Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbreaker View Post
    So these box office numbers are...troubling. I mean—don't get me wrong—I shouldn't give a damn about how well the movie does as long as I enjoyed it myself, but my biggest fear is what this means for future blockbusters that are NOT sequels, prequels, remakes, reboots, adaptations, or based on a true story. Hollywood isn't going to want to take any more risks after this.

Well, "Inception" is still out there. Now this is a great example of a modern original big-budget movie that ended up being a huge box office success all over the globe. Whether you like him or not Nolan got it right. And hopefully his next (original) movie "Interstellar" will also be a box office success.

The thing with "Pacific Rim" is this - original or not, ordinary moviegoers (those who haven't seen it) think it's just another robot/"Transformers" type movie. That's the perception. Clean and clear. I'm sure a lot of people were thinking, "Well, this summer I already saw big movies with a lot of destruction ("Iron Man 3", "WWZ", "Man of Steel") and this looks like another "Transformers". And we already have three of those. Yeah, I'll pass."

I guarantee you, if "Pacific Rim" was released before the first "Transformers" it would've been a huge success. But Bay's movie was there first and it killed at the box office. So in the future, whether people on the web like it or not, every movie that contains a giant robot will be compared to "Transformers". That's just how our society works.

Whether it's fair or not, I don't know. And frankly I don't care. There are more important things to worry about.
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

Quote Originally Posted by Bayhem View Post
    Whether you like him or not Nolan got it right.
    How so? By being the same guy who directed The Dark Knight? I suppose Leonard DiCaprio as the lead had something to do with it too.

In other words: "From the guy who made this movie you like" + "starring a super famous actor you also like" = box office gold.

What's funny about this formula is that a recent movie called "The Lone Ranger" tried to follow it too. Look where that went.

How so?

Most important thing: he had an interesting material to work with. Material without robots, without Baman, without Superman, without Spider Man, without Iron Man. None of that.

Yet, the movie was able to attract a lot of people. If I'm not mistaken it made over $800 million WW. And keep in mind, this is not a superhero movie. Which means we're talking about a pretty spectacular box office performance. "From the director of The Dark Knight" can't get you there. That's not enough. Clearly Nolan knew how to approach that material and amazingly he was able to make an original movie that pleased not only a lot of ordinary viewers but the critics as well. And that's not an easy thing to accomplish these days.

So yes, he got it right.
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

I get the Godzilla comparisons. But I never understood the comparisons to Transformers. If I was forced to compare it to anything, I'd say Voltron is closer to this than Transformers.

We're talking about a movie about gigantic building size robots that don't transform.

The Transformers comparisons are just lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by TIMtationX View Post
    I get the Godzilla comparisons. But I never understood the comparisons to Transformers. If I was forced to compare it to anything, I'd say Voltron is closer to this than Transformers.

We're talking about a movie about gigantic building size robots that don't transform.

The Transformers comparisons are just lazy.
    When people make the Godzilla or Voltron comparisons, I wanna saw "well duh! GDT is paying tribute to those works!" The whole movie is one big love letter to all of those kaiju movies and giant robot anime/manga.

As for Transformers comparison, they act like Transformers are the only American movies allowed to have any kind of robots. I'm pretty sure the same thing would happen if you introduce a movie that has wizards and magic in it. "OMG! Harry Potter rip-off!" Seriously, you can't make anything anymore these days.

As for Transformers comparison, they act like Transformers are the only American movies allowed to have any kind of robots.

There is a reason for all the "Transformers" talk out there. Here's what Steven Spielberg said in 2011: "With "Transformers" Michael invented a genre".

Huge compliment of course, but it's also true. How many hugely successful big-budget, mainstream giant robot movies were out there before 2007? Can't think of any. So Bay created something more than just a giant robot movie. "Transformers" started a new sub-genre and it'll be compared to similar looking movies for years and years. "Pacific Rim" is just one of those movies. There are more to come, I'm sure.

And yes you're right, for some people "Transformers" is indeed the only franchise allowed to have giant robots. Not really fair, but that's the way it is.

So these box office numbers are...troubling. I mean—don't get me wrong—I shouldn't give a damn about how well the movie does as long as I enjoyed it myself, but my biggest fear is what this means for future blockbusters that are NOT sequels, prequels, remakes, reboots, adaptations, or based on a true story.
    I think that if they spent a few more millions for some pretty famous actors the movie would have doubled it's box office results from this weekend. The face of a movie for the general audience is it's cast. And the general audience doesn't recognise one single face from that movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayhem View Post
    The thing with "Pacific Rim" is this - original or not, ordinary moviegoers (those who haven't seen it) think it's just another robot/"Transformers" type movie. That's the perception. Clean and clear. I'm sure a lot of people were thinking, "Well, this summer I already saw big movies with a lot of destruction ("Iron Man 3", "WWZ", "Man of Steel") and this looks like another "Transformers". And we already have three of those. Yeah, I'll pass."
    If your logic is right then TF4 should be a complete flop. I highly doubt that.

Quote Originally Posted by Albershide View Post
    If your logic is right then TF4 should be a complete flop. I highly doubt that.

Nice try, but you know exactly what I mean.

People will watch "Transformers 4" because...it is "Transformers" a.k.a. that franchise with giant robots that was started way before "Pacific Rim" and (for some people) established the giant robot genre. People will watch it because it's part of a franchise and they have a connection to that franchise.

"Pacific Rim" is a brand new movie and there's no established connection between its world and the ordinary audience. That's one reason why some people were skeptical. That and the fact that there are giant robots in it. And some people wanna watch giant robots only in a "Transformers" movie.

For those interested, there is a Jaeger Designer app: http://apps.warnerbros.com/pacificrim/designer/us/

Here's one I made: Alberta Dynamo

Alberta Dynamo by TrailbreakerADK, on Flickr

Uhm... I dont really think Pacific Rim and Transformers are all that similar. Transformers is a "robot" movie, while Pacific Rim is a mecha movie. Those are two very distinct things and need to be treated with extremly different storytelling in order to work. There were also mecha movies before Transformers.

And Ive seen Pacific Rim and I wasnt that largely impressed, I think both TF and TF3 are better movies. Pacific Rim was, exept for the action scenes, really generic... and even the action scenes were generic at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Crainy View Post
    Uhm... I dont really think Pacific Rim and Transformers are all that similar. Transformers is a "robot" movie, while Pacific Rim is a mecha movie. Those are two very distinct things and need to be treated with extremly different storytelling in order to work. There were also mecha movies before Transformers.

And Ive seen Pacific Rim and I wasnt that largely impressed, I think both TF and TF3 are better movies. Pacific Rim was, exept for the action scenes, really generic... and even the action scenes were generic at times.
    Generic action what ?

The action scenes on Pacific Rim are the best ever seen in a movie along with the CGI by ILM.
    It's just what Transformers 3 should have been but it wasn't.
    Transformers 3 is the most disappointing movie by Michael Bay to date.

Transformers 2 had the best CGI by ILM before Pacific Rim along with outstanding visuals and long fights action scenes. There Michael Bay put a lot of effort to deliver something never seen before. The hatred against Transformers 2 on the 'net doesn't make any sense at all. The forest battle scene alone is worth the whole movie.

Pacific Rim is so much better than anything on Transformers movies action scenes and CGI wise.

Quote Originally Posted by wingzero View Post
    Generic action what ?

The action scenes on Pacific Rim are the best ever seen in a movie along with the CGI by ILM.

Transformers 2 had the best CGI by ILM before Pacific Rim along with outstanding visuals and long fights action scenes. There Michael Bay put a lot of effort to deliver something never seen before. The hatred against Transformers 2 on the 'net doesn't make any sense at all. The forest battle scene alone is worth the whole movie.

Pacific Rim is so much better than anything on Transformers movies action scenes and CGI wise.

Relax, dude. what the fuck is wrong with you?

Quote Originally Posted by greensmoke View Post
    Get yourself a can of this and spray it on your computer screen. It works, trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by greensmoke View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TIMtationX View Post
    Get yourself a can of this and spray it on your computer screen. It works, trust me.
    I swear, most of his posts are just a remake of the last one. They all tend to go like this:

-TF3 was a disappointment; good premise, bad execution. Lackluster CGI. 3-D was a big mistake.
    -TF2, though flawed, was superior and had the best CGI ever. Best fight scenes.
    -Your response was very childish.

I guarantee if he replies to this post, it's going to contain those three things in some form.

Generic action what ?

You got everything in reverse.

Senior Member Bot of Badassness's Avatar

Going against facts ? What facts ?
    Do you want to negate the fact that Transformers3 action sequences and fights are shorter, that they re-used CGI models and the CGI is nothing new and not as massive and detailed as on Transformers2 ?
    Does Transformers3 feature any top-notch long fight scene like the forest battle on Transformers2, perhaps ? No, it doesn't. So ?
    Fact: Transformers 3 has the longest climax out of the three movies (Battle in Mission City: 25 minutes, Battle in Egypt: 35 minutes, Battle in Chicago: 45 minutes).
    Fact: Transformers 2 re-used more CGI models than the third film did.
    Fact: Transformers 3 contains the most detailed CGI shots in history (The Driller and the skyscraper).
    Fact: Transformers 2 features the worst CGI out of the three films.
    Fact: To rival the Forest Battle in the second film, the third film features a chase and battle between some Autobots and the Dreads in Washington and the biggest Autobot and Decepticon battle to date in Chicago.
    Top 10 Movies of 2016: Hunt for the Wilderpeople, 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi, The Conjuring 2, Finding Dory, 10 Cloverfield Lane, Deadpool, Zootopia, The Nice Guys, Me Before You, Lights Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bot of Badassness View Post
    Fact: Transformers 2 features the worst CGI out of the three films.

Sorry. That's clearly an opinion. Your opinion. And I disagree.

In my opinion the CG images in "Revenge of the Fallen" are absolutely top notch. Some of the best visual effects I've seen. Perfect example is the Reedman scene. Just amazing stuff.

Reedman.jpg TF2 Reedman.jpg

Not to mention the forest fight and Devastator. So, as far as I'm concerned ILM and DD did a spectacular job on that movie.

http://www.slashfilm.com/guillermo-d...rkaiju-hybrid/

Will we get to see Pacific Rim 2? It’s too early to say. The film is underperforming by most standards in North America, but it’s doing much better internationally with many major markets – such as China and Japan – yet to open. So while Guillermo del Toro‘s monster vs. robot movie might miss $100 million domestically, it could potentially triple that number overseas.
    All that aside, for a second let’s imagine a glorious future where the kaiju vs. jaeger story continues in Pacific Rim 2. We know screenwriter Travis Beacham is already writing it just in case. Plus, Del Toro recently did an interview where he explained how the ending of the first film will directly relate to a sequel, including a hybrid of a kaiju and jaeger.
    Thanks to MTV for the quotes. They’re older than we usually like to run but, with Comic-Con, they got a little lost in the shuffle.

I’ll tell you a couple of things. We will have Gipsy 2.0 for sure. We will have Gipsy 2.0 for sure. Second thing is you’re gonna see a merging of Kaiju and Jaeger. And that is quite special.
    How is that possible?
    Just think about it for a second. We sent Gipsy to the other side, right? It exploded, but whatever remains stays there.
    Anything else?
    We’ve drifted with a Kaiju brain. Well, then start riffing on that and you’ll get to something.
    Japan will truly be the country that decides if Pacific Rim gets a sequel. It’s a story tailor-made for the country’s pop culture sensibilities, much more than the US, and some outlets think it could do $70 million there alone, which is a massive number. It opens July 31.
    Add that to the $110 its already made, plus the US gross and others, there’s a chance we might see those above ideas realized. What do you think?
    Pacific Rim won't be in Japan until August 9th.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1663662/releaseinfo

Not sure how we got on to talking TF films but, frankly the most impressive shot/sequence and best introduction of a character of any of the three films was Optimus air drop and landing. Best most heroic introduction. I wish the third film had something epic like that maybe the 4th. We should get goosebumps from his introduction. I still get goosebumps from that shot sequence. Much Like I get when Bruce Banner becomes the Hulk in Avengers at the "I'm always angry" line.

Anyway...PR was awesome, to bad its a one and done. It's certainly will age well and be recalled as a classic.

What the ???? Gypsy was blown up by a nuclear explosion. There is nothing left!!

Quote Originally Posted by chatterbox View Post
    What the ???? Gypsy was blown up by a nuclear explosion. There is nothing left!!
    It's not like they can't build another one. (Though they may not have to if this movie isn't getting any sequels.)