Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Pacific Rim

Default Re: Pacific Rim

Maybe it might be a hit you know but you never know

Kanye thinks it's the best thing ever. I believe him.

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/new...ma-watson.html

Quote Originally Posted by TIMtationX View Post
    Kanye thinks it's the best thing ever. I believe him.

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/new...ma-watson.html
    And he said it on Twitter. The kind of word-of-mouth this movie needs.

Pacific Rim review by Movies.com.
    A box office flop? Yee, I don't think so...

http://www.movies.com/movie-news/pac...m-review/12778

Quote Originally Posted by frolunda71 View Post
    Pacific Rim review by Movies.com.
    A box office flop? Yee, I don't think so...

http://www.movies.com/movie-news/pac...m-review/12778
    It's getting a lot of good reviews. Although it seems like someone at Variety has it in for this movie.

So Nelson is discussing this on the new S4TE blog: http://shootfortheedit.com/?p=37

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbreaker View Post
    So Nelson is discussing this on the new S4TE blog: http://shootfortheedit.com/?p=37

Thoughts?
    He's right about people assuming it's a ripoff. I've heard the same from some of my FB friends. Back when I posted the first teaser on FB, I literally got asked "Is this a SyFy movie?", and "You can't be serious." A few friends are excited, but some others aren't. Me? I'm almost too excited. Way back when I first read what this movie was going to be about, forget a trailer, I was sold before they even started production. But I think once people get out and see it, they'll see it's not a Transformers ripoff. Word of mouth will be what helps this movie. It's also sitting at 85% on the tomato meter, which certainly won't hurt it. People are only lining up to see sequels and reboots nowadays, and the same ones are complaining because nothing original is coming out. If you support the original movies, studios would make more original movies.

I don't see a problem with the title though. What else would you have called it? Especially if you don't want it to sound like a clone of other movies?

'Today we are cancelling the apocalypse!'

Saw it today. Well I don't understand so much hype. From what I've seen, It's just another entertaining popcorn flick. Not a masterpiece of summer spectacles.

Saw the 7pm Imax 3D showing, and got the poster. Absolutely loved this movie, it was almost exactly what I thought it was going to be. I am seeing it again tomorrow and cannot wait. The size of this movie is enormous and for me will take a couple of viewings to soak it all in.

Went to watch it with the wife yesterday afternoon. She absolutely loved it. And I thought it was good action-wise. But plot is shallow. It's just you know, an action film that entertains. Nothing beyond that.

Thumbs down Re: Pacific Rim

Saw the film last night.... was kinda of mediocre and not a strong story.

Spoiler Alerts ....well kinda

I don't like how it starts after the Kaji invasion. I wish it showed more of the initial invasions. And the fights were good. I guess I was expecting non stop action and instead had to listen about the drift (human to human , and human to kaji).

Big Disappointment.

I did however like the monsters and robots. Just hated every fight was at night in the rain.
    "How Come the Decepticons have all the cool shit"

Saw it. Loved it.Transformers 5 my ass. Love it or hate it, anyone who thinks this is a TF knock-off after seeing it for themselves is a moron. Plain and simple.

Sorry you didn't enjoy it, Optimash. I must respectfully, strongly disagree with you, however. I enjoyed it tremendously.

Cinemablend:
    Why A Pacific Rim - Godzilla Mash Up Can And Should Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean O'Connell and Adam Frazier
    Guillermo del Toro’s Pacific Rim, despite its appearances, is neither a Transformers prequel nor a follow up to Hollywood’s countless Godzilla movies. But we can understand why you’d believe that Del Toro’s blockbuster belongs to the same family tree that created said franchises. In fact, one of my first thoughts after a recent Rim screening was, “How the hell is Gareth Edwards going to top this with his planned Godzilla reboot in 2014?”

Why beat ‘em when you can join ‘em? Adam Frazier, a writer for Geeks of Doom, shared an excellent idea after our Rim screening – combine the rebooted Godzilla series with Del Toro’s new Rim universe for an Avengers-style mash up of monsters and Mech heroes. Could it work? Frazier and I discuss in a lengthy and informative Rim dream scenario.

Collider:
    Guillermo del Toro Talks His Favorite Kaiju Movies, Hayao Miyazaki, Why He’s Not Likely to Direct a Film in an Established Franchise, and More

io9:
    Pacific Rim is the greatest fairy tale of the twenty-first century
    Quote Originally Posted by Annalee Newitz
    In a summer of sequels, reboots, and misfires, Pacific Rim is a brilliant surprise. Its cheerful audaciousness will take you back to a time when blockbusters were original stories that filled you with glee and wonder. This movie works just like a fairy tale, but one whose inevitable moral won't make you claw your face off.

I love creature movies, I love robot movies, I love Guillermo del Toro but I never expected that I would love that movie so f#@%ing much! Easily the best movie for me since 2007.
    Everything was brilliant (maybe except Idris Elba's speech ). The casting was spot on. Expect to see Charlie Hunnam in many future blockbusters. The Japanese girl was so damn hot and they have a guy who looks and talks exactly like J.J. Abrams (one of the main scientists). The Kaiju designs were awesome and the converted 3D was the best one I've seen. There are so many little things in this huge movie that made it great...

Can't wait for the blu-ray. All GDT movies have great blu-ray editions so I hope he will continue the tradition.

P.S. Oh, and Ron Perlman is the best as always.

This movie was incredible. That's really all I have to say. If people want to blindly compare it to TF without watching it, then let them. It's their loss.

If I was forced to pick something to nitpick, then I'd say they could've picked better leads (except for Idris Alba, because he's always awesome)

Other than that. I have nothing bad to say about what I saw. The Blu-Ray can't get here soon enough.

I totally agree that this movie is not a TF ripoff. It's not even remotely close. It's very original because it has not been done before on the big screen. Maybe its been done in some Japanese anime or comic books or tv shows, but not in Hollywood.

I'm so buying this.

Banned

will watch it on tuesday.. I kinda get pissed when I see ppl on twitter say Transformers can learn a thing or 2 from PR and it's not like that shitty Transformers movies etc.. It's getting Owned at the box office by Grown Ups 2! lol an Adam Sandler movie! how good can it be? anyways, I am looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by starscream1017 View Post
    will watch it on tuesday.. I kinda get pissed when I see ppl on twitter say Transformers can learn a thing or 2 from PR and it's not like that shitty Transformers movies etc.. It's getting Owned at the box office by Grown Ups 2! lol an Adam Sandler movie! how good can it be? anyways, I am looking forward to it.
    The fact that there are a lot of people with bad taste or no taste at all that are not in a rush watching Pacific Rim doesn't mean that it's not better than Transformers movies.
    The CGI by ILM is the best ever seen to date, far better than anything seen on Transformers movies.

Pacific Rim is way better than Transformers 3. With Transformers 3 I would have liked to see Michael Bay directing it with massive Transformers combiners fights inside skyscrapers, downtown with people around.. never like that happened. Pacific Rim visuals and action scenes, despite the lack of humans in buildings, is just what Michael Bay should have delivered on Transformers3 but he didn't.
    Action and CGI wise it's even better than Transformers 2, and that was previous ILM best work. Now Pacific Rim is.
    Plot and characters wise it's not perfect but at least on par with the first Transformers movie although it's completely different.

It's unfortunate that Pacific Rim is unlikely to get $700million+ worldwide boxoffice gross. Countries in Asia can still make the movie a boxoffice success, however this deserved a huge one even higher than the first Transformers movie.

Michael Bay is going to have a very hard time for Transformers4 trying to deliver better visuals and action scenes and CGI done by ILM than anything on Pacific Rim. And I surely hope he would bother trying to achieve a better movie again, because the first two Transformers movies were top-notch but Transformers3 was not and it showed, despite the higher boxoffice gross due to 3D tickets (the actual number of viewers lowered compared to Transformers2). Transformers3 had a better plot but worse execution, lack of proper mood and spirit, lack of the magic the first two movies had, lack of long action scenes, too short fights and re-used CGI.

Quote Originally Posted by wingzero View Post
    The fact that there are a lot of people with bad taste or no taste at all that are not in a rush watching Pacific Rim doesn't mean that it's not better than Transformers movies.
    The CGI by ILM is the best ever seen to date, far better than anything seen on Transformers movies.

Pacific Rim is way better than Transformers 3. With Transformers 3 I would have liked to see Michael Bay directing it with massive Transformers combiners fights inside skyscrapers, downtown with people around.. never like that happened. Pacific Rim visuals and action scenes, despite the lack of humans in buildings, is just what Michael Bay should have delivered on Transformers3 but he didn't.
    Action and CGI wise it's even better than Transformers 2, and that was previous ILM best work. Now Pacific Rim is.
    Plot and characters wise it's not perfect but at least on par with the first Transformers movie although it's completely different.

It's unfortunate that Pacific Rim is unlikely to get $700million+ worldwide boxoffice gross. Countries in Asia can still make the movie a boxoffice success, however this deserved a huge one even higher than the first Transformers movie.

Michael Bay is going to have a very hard time for Transformers4 trying to deliver better visuals and action scenes and CGI done by ILM than anything on Pacific Rim. And I surely hope he would bother trying to achieve a better movie again, because the first two Transformers movies were top-notch but Transformers3 was not and it showed, despite the higher boxoffice gross due to 3D tickets (the actual number of viewers lowered compared to Transformers2). Transformers3 had a better plot but worse execution, lack of proper mood and spirit, lack of the magic the first two movies had, lack of long action scenes, too short fights and re-used CGI.
    i was actally looking forward to what you had to say until i figured out it was a resume of all your previous TF3 posts! turn the page will`ya!

Quote Originally Posted by CesarCardoso View Post
    i was actally looking forward to what you had to say until i figured out it was a resume of all your previous TF3 posts! turn the page will`ya!
    What a rude reply of yours.

Quote Originally Posted by CesarCardoso View Post
    I'll agree that he can be annoying (I read more than I post unfortunately), but he does make one good point: popularity is not indicative of quality. The very fact that Grown Ups 2 has a higher weekend gross doesn't mean Pacific Rim is a worse movie, but rather that a film's quality cannot be judged by its box office intake.

As far as I'm concerned, Pacific Rim is the best film of the summer so far. That it isn't raking in a larger sum seriously pisses me off, as I'm too aware now of the politics of Hollywood and what this could mean for Guillermo Del Toro's future output, but let's not pretend for one moment that Pacific Rim's less-than-stellar box office performance is a testament to the film's imagined worthlessness. The film deserves much more than it's getting.

Quote Originally Posted by Horror Sober View Post

As far as I'm concerned, Pacific Rim is the best film of the summer so far. That it isn't raking in a larger sum seriously pisses me off, as I'm too aware now of the politics of Hollywood and what this could mean for Guillermo Del Toro's future output, but let's not pretend for one moment that Pacific Rim's less-than-stellar box office performance is a testament to the film's imagined worthlessness. The film deserves much more than it's getting.
    I agree with this.

Senior Member Bot of Badassness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wingzero View Post
    Transformers3 had a better plot but worse execution, lack of proper mood and spirit, lack of the magic the first two movies had, lack of long action scenes, too short fights and re-used CGI.
    You need to re-check your facts. Of course some of your points are matter of opinion, but you are going against some facts there too.
    Top 10 Movies of 2016: Hunt for the Wilderpeople, 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi, The Conjuring 2, Finding Dory, 10 Cloverfield Lane, Deadpool, Zootopia, The Nice Guys, Me Before You, Lights Out.