Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 201

Thread: Pacific Rim

  1. #76
    Senior Member Albershide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sofia, Bulgaria, Europe
    Posts
    4,228

    Default Re: Pacific Rim


  2. #77
    Senior Member Hardkore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    L.A.~ lower Alabama
    Posts
    1,180

    Default Re: Pacific Rim




  3. #78
    Senior Member TIMtationX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    2,148

    Default Re: Pacific Rim

    Pacific Rim game is out, and it's pretty good for a web browser game.

    http://jaegercombatsimulator.pacificrimmovie.com/

  4. #79
    Senior Member Trailbreaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    11,120

    Default Re: Pacific Rim

    This doesn't sound good: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/...an-pacific-rim

    Why the low tracking for Pacific Rim? Despite the studios' big promotional push since last summer's San Diego Comic-Con, the $200 million-budgeted tentpole has reportedly been struggling to excite moviegoers before its release in the coming weeks. While the film has certainly been getting a lot of buzz online amongst fanboys, Pacific Rim still has two major obstacles to overcome: a lack of serious star power and the fact that it's a completely original project with no familiar source material preceding it.
    I seriously hope this isn't going to be one of the movies that sets off the imminent "implosion" Steven Spielberg has been talking about.

  5. #80
    Senior Member Bayhem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Mind: California. Body: Between US & Europe.
    Posts
    2,440

    Default Re: Pacific Rim

    IGN quote from Trailbreaker's post:


    "...the fact that it's a completely original project..."

    Completely original?

    For the ordinary viewers (the people who actually matter) this is all "been there, done that". I personally talked to two different people who see this movie as nothing more than a "Transformers"/"Godzilla"/"Robot Jox" rip-off. Whether it's true or not, I don't know. But I'm sure that's how the public sees it. And it's hard to get excited for a giant monster movie when giant robots and monsters are hitting the big screen pretty much every year now.

    The fact that fanboys on the web are all excited doesn't mean anything. These people represent a small, small, small...very small fraction of the entire moviegoing public. This whole "Pacific Rim" situation reminds of "Scott Pilgrim". Huge internet buzz, no buzz in the real world.

    But who knows, maybe it'll pick up speed in the next few weeks.
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

  6. #81
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,032

    Default Re: Pacific Rim

    I have faith in this movie. Sure it's kinda a Transformers/Godzilla combo movie with giant robots and giant monsters, but it's totally different of what anybody has seen before. If the CGI effects and the 3D has been done really good as let's say like in the latest Star Trek movie, I have no doubt people who love Sci-Fi and action movies are gonna go and see it. It will not be a movie that will flop at the box office world wide and set off this "implosion" that Spielberg and Lucas was talking about. Social media will play a big part of how successful the movie will be. It's gonna come down a lot to word to mouth of how well it will do at the box office. If people start to write that it's the coolest thing ever seen at the movies and people just gotta go and see it, then it will do just fine. But if ordinary people think that it really sucks, then it's doomed to fail, no matter what the critics say in their reviews.

  7. #82
    Senior Member Trailbreaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    11,120

    Default Re: Pacific Rim

    Quote Originally Posted by Bayhem View Post
    Completely original?

    For the ordinary viewers (the people who actually matter) this is all "been there, done that". I personally talked to two different people who see this movie as nothing more than a "Transformers"/"Godzilla"/"Robot Jox" rip-off. Whether it's true or not, I don't know. But I'm sure that's how the public sees it. And it's hard to get excited for a giant monster movie when giant robots and monsters are hitting the big screen pretty much every year now.
    "Original" as in "not adapted from previous source materials."

  8. #83
    Senior Member Horror Sober's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Venus
    Posts
    233

    Default Re: Pacific Rim

    Quote Originally Posted by Bayhem View Post
    no buzz in the real world.
    I wouldn't be so sure about that. I know plenty of people outside the geek realms of the internet who are excited about it. It may not be a large enough sample to make a reasonable guess about the population, but I wouldn't bet on it flopping yet.

    As for "been there, done that", explain the success of the superhero genre in recent years? Contrast that with the kaiju genre and the Japanese super robot genre, and it's a little hard for me to take that excuse seriously. Pacific Rim isn't like anything that's been released theatrically in a long time. I mean, what movie in recent years has been like this? If you're thinking of the TF movies, well...what's the sense in making a forth one if audiences are too tired of giant robots that they'll skip Pacific Rim? Either they want more giant robot movies or they don't. Are we so cynical that we think films only succeed because of brand recognition? That a new IP with vaguely familiar ideas can't succeed but another sequel can?

    The one flaw with the film's marketing that I think they should address, and soon, is the lack of the human element. Yes, the idea of giant robots beating the piss out of giant monsters is awesome, but I still do not know who the pilots are, or what their deal is. I'm not saying the film doesn't focus on character or anything. I'm just saying that if they're trying to adjust their marketing in fear of a flop, perhaps shifting some of the focus toward the human characters would be the way to go. The awesome premise has me sold, the look has me sold, so now they should sell me on the characters, and the story being told. Right now they're relying too much on that premise.

  9. #84
    Senior Member Bayhem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Mind: California. Body: Between US & Europe.
    Posts
    2,440

    Default Re: Pacific Rim

    Quote Originally Posted by Horror Sober View Post
    Contrast that with the kaiju genre and the Japanese super robot genre, and it's a little hard for me to take that excuse seriously. Pacific Rim isn't like anything that's been released theatrically in a long time.

    See, that's the thing. The ordinary viewers don't care about "kaiju genre", the origins of the story, Del Toro's approach and all that stuff. They simply watch the trailer and make up their minds. And for some of them it is indeed "been there, done that" - giant robots, destruction, humans rising up, city battles and on and on. You have to remember, they see the movie in a different way than you and the other devoted fans see it. That's the big difference between hardcore fans and ordinary moviegoers.


    And if everything was fine and dandy with the film you wouldn't have had all these recent articles analyzing the lack of interest (and its chances box office-wise). As for the superhero movies and their success - well, for one they had great and very, very effective marketing campaigns. Remember "Iron Man" in 2008? Before its opening that movie was everywhere. Not only people on the web, but people on the street knew about it.

    Can't say the same for "Pacific Rim" though. At the end of the day "been there, done that" doesn't even matter if you have an effective marketing campaign and you push the right buttons. That way more and more people will discover the movie...and probably love the hell out of it. So "been there, done that" is certainly not the kiss of death. At this point though clearly something's missing. And right now people are more excited for "Grown Ups 2" than they are for "Pacific Rim". That alone says a lot.


    P.S. What I posted above is not my opinion on the situation or the movie. I'm simply posting some facts and observations made by some of the articles. That's it.
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

  10. #85
    Senior Member Horror Sober's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Venus
    Posts
    233

    Default Re: Pacific Rim

    Quote Originally Posted by Bayhem View Post
    See, that's the thing. The ordinary viewers don't care about "kaiju genre", the origins of the story, Del Toro's approach and all that stuff. They simply watch the trailer and make up their minds. And for some of them it is indeed "been there, done that" - giant robots, destruction, humans rising up, city battles and on and on. You have to remember, they see the movie in a different way than you and the other devoted fans see it. That's the big difference between hardcore fans and ordinary moviegoers.
    Here's the thing: while some members of the audience aren't as well-versed in the history and the terminology as we are, they can still make connections to things they've seen before. They may not know Eiji Tsuburaya, or the meaning of the term "tokusatsu", but you say "giant robots fighting giant monsters in a city" and they'll connect it to things like Godzilla, and even some more obscure examples. I know a guy who's cinematically illiterate, and probably doesn't even known what the word "genre" means. He's about as non-geek as they come, but if I showed him clips from Pacific Rim he'd probably say, "When's Ultraman gonna show up?"

    There may be differences between hardcore fans and ordinary moviegoers, but it's not like ordinary moviegoers have no frame of reference for this sort of thing.

  11. #86
    Senior Member TIMtationX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    2,148

    Default

    I also noticed the low buzz for this. No one is really talking about it.

    Its upsetting to me because I really want this to succeed.

  12. #87
    Senior Member Bayhem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Mind: California. Body: Between US & Europe.
    Posts
    2,440

    Default Re: Pacific Rim

    Quote Originally Posted by Horror Sober View Post
    Here's the thing: while some members of the audience aren't as well-versed in the history and the terminology as we are, they can still make connections to things they've seen before. There may be differences between hardcore fans and ordinary moviegoers, but it's not like ordinary moviegoers have no frame of reference for this sort of thing.

    They certainly have.

    Truth be told though, we can dig this hole all day long and come up with all kinds of conclusions. So I'll do the usual and stick to the facts. Right now it's an indisputable fact that ordinary moviegoers are not as excited for "Pacific Rim" as the fans want them to be. That's the bottom line. Original movie, not an original movie, "been there, done that", well-versed audience or not...all of that doesn't mean squat when the facts are clear. A lot of people are simply not going crazy over this movie. At least at this point.

    Sorry, don't know what else to tell you. I'm not the one who came up with these results.
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

  13. #88
    Senior Member Horror Sober's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Venus
    Posts
    233

    Default Re: Pacific Rim

    Quote Originally Posted by Bayhem View Post
    Right now it's an indisputable fact that ordinary moviegoers are not as excited for "Pacific Rim" as the fans want them to be.
    Source? Show me the data you've collected that supports your conclusion. What's your sample size? How did you collect the data? How does the data correspond to time, and how marketing has increased over time? What are your variables? What are the controls? Do you account for all distinctions between demographics?

    Please, share your research.

  14. #89
    Senior Member Bayhem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Mind: California. Body: Between US & Europe.
    Posts
    2,440

    Default Re: Pacific Rim

    Quote Originally Posted by Horror Sober View Post
    Source? Show me the data you've collected that supports your conclusion. What's your sample size? How did you collect the data? How does the data correspond to time, and how marketing has increased over time? What are your variables? What are the controls? Do you account for all distinctions between demographics?

    Please, share your research.


    Since I have no intention whatsoever to play kiddy games here I'll simply ignore your comment. And I'll post a direct link to the original article that contains all the information you need. As I already said, I'm only relying on the articles.


    - http://variety.com/2013/biz/news/war...re-1200501572/


    Quote: "Early tracking for the film is so far disappointing with audiences showing more interest in Sony Pictures’ sequel “Grown Ups 2,” which also opens that weekend."


    Bonus link: http://io9.com/is-pacific-rim-destin...flop-576879105


    Got a problem with Variety's tracking? Don't think it's factual? Take it up to them.
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

  15. #90
    Senior Member Horror Sober's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Venus
    Posts
    233

    Default Re: Pacific Rim

    Quote Originally Posted by Bayhem View Post
    Since I have no intention whatsoever to play kiddy games here I'll simply ignore your comment. And I'll post a direct link to the original article that contains all the information you need. As I already said, I'm only relying on the articles.


    - http://variety.com/2013/biz/news/war...re-1200501572/


    Quote: "Early tracking for the film is so far disappointing with audiences showing more interest in Sony Pictures’ sequel “Grown Ups 2,” which also opens that weekend."


    Bonus link: http://io9.com/is-pacific-rim-destin...flop-576879105


    Got a problem with Variety's tracking? Don't think it's factual? Take it up to them.
    You're not good at ignoring things, are you?

    So, your source is the Variety article which was already posted here. And they don't divulge any information at all outside of that statement. No info about their sample, their data, how it was collected, etc. You're just taking Variety at their word. Do you remember when Variety reported that Joseph Gordon-Levitt was playing Carmine Falcone's son in The Dark Knight Rises? I do. Remind me how that turned out again?

    What I'm boiling down to is, you claim that it is a fact that ordinary moviegoers are not excited for Pacific Rim, and I'm telling you it is not a fact. My sister is an ordinary moviegoer, and she is excited for it. If I can name even one ordinary moviegoer who is excited for the film, then I have proof enough that your claim is wrong, and that it is most certainly not a fact. In order for your claim to be true, everyone filed under "ordinary moviegoer" would have to have the same reaction. When I say "everyone" I mean 100%. If even one statistic in that sample is different, you don't have a 100%.

    I think it's safe to say there are more ordinary moviegoers excited for it than just her. So no, it's not a fact. The only rational observation you can make is that Variety claims that some ordinary moviegoers are more excited for something else. No more, no less. The only fact you've presented is that Variety posted that quote in their article.

    This film's future is not set in stone, no matter how much you want it to be.

  16. #91
    Senior Member Trailbreaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    11,120

    Default Re: Pacific Rim

    Quote Originally Posted by Horror Sober View Post
    In order for your claim to be true, everyone filed under "ordinary moviegoer" would have to have the same reaction.
    On that note, exactly what criteria does one file "ordinary moviegoers" and "hardcore fans" under? They seem like very subjective statements to me. It can be a problem when you have cases like myself, where the lines can get very fuzzy. I can be a "hardcore fan" for movies like Transformers, while being an "ordinary moviegoer" for movies like The Hunger Games. That's a big problem when you're trying to conduct a statistical analysis.

  17. #92
    Senior Member Bayhem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Mind: California. Body: Between US & Europe.
    Posts
    2,440

    Default Re: Pacific Rim

    Quote Originally Posted by Horror Sober View Post
    You're not good at ignoring things, are you? My sister is an ordinary moviegoer, and she is excited for it. If I can name even one ordinary moviegoer who is excited for the film, then I have proof enough that your claim is wrong, and that it is most certainly not a fact.

    Yes, I'm not good at ignoring things just like you're clearly not good with your emotions when something not-so-good has been said about a movie you haven't even seen, yet you already like.

    And yes, I am taking Variety at their word. I've been doing it for 17 years. If I have to choose between random people on the web and them I would certainly rely on them. Because it's their job to know these things. And you say your sister is excited? Well, I know two people who think the movie is going to be a piece of crap (they hate "Transformers" too, so it's not really surprising).

    They're certainly not excited. That's a fact. And you can be sure, they're not the only ones. So there you go: this is the other side. For every fan there's one non-fan.

    By the way, you seem to be under the impression that I, personally, am against this movie. If relying on a Variety tracking means that I'm against it then I guess I am. You're allowed to think whatever you want. Doesn't mean you're right.

    I'll post my opinion after I see the movie.
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

  18. #93
    Senior Member Horror Sober's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Venus
    Posts
    233

    Default Re: Pacific Rim

    Quote Originally Posted by Bayhem View Post
    For every fan there's one non-fan.
    How did you reach this conclusion?

  19. #94
    Senior Member Bayhem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Mind: California. Body: Between US & Europe.
    Posts
    2,440

    Default Re: Pacific Rim

    Quote Originally Posted by Horror Sober View Post
    How did you reach this conclusion?

    Variety. They shape everything I think and say. They're good.
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

  20. #95
    Senior Member Horror Sober's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Venus
    Posts
    233

    Default Re: Pacific Rim

    Quote Originally Posted by Bayhem View Post
    Variety. They shape everything I think and say. They're good.
    I thought so at first, but I noticed that wasn't said in the article you linked to. Is there another one that says that? If so, please share it.

  21. #96
    Senior Member HarryCanyon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Posts
    2,216

    Default Re: Pacific Rim

    Quote Originally Posted by Horror Sober View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure about that. I know plenty of people outside the geek realms of the internet who are excited about it. It may not be a large enough sample to make a reasonable guess about the population, but I wouldn't bet on it flopping yet.

    As for "been there, done that", explain the success of the superhero genre in recent years? Contrast that with the kaiju genre and the Japanese super robot genre, and it's a little hard for me to take that excuse seriously. Pacific Rim isn't like anything that's been released theatrically in a long time. I mean, what movie in recent years has been like this? If you're thinking of the TF movies, well...what's the sense in making a forth one if audiences are too tired of giant robots that they'll skip Pacific Rim? Either they want more giant robot movies or they don't. Are we so cynical that we think films only succeed because of brand recognition? That a new IP with vaguely familiar ideas can't succeed but another sequel can?

    The one flaw with the film's marketing that I think they should address, and soon, is the lack of the human element. Yes, the idea of giant robots beating the piss out of giant monsters is awesome, but I still do not know who the pilots are, or what their deal is. I'm not saying the film doesn't focus on character or anything. I'm just saying that if they're trying to adjust their marketing in fear of a flop, perhaps shifting some of the focus toward the human characters would be the way to go. The awesome premise has me sold, the look has me sold, so now they should sell me on the characters, and the story being told. Right now they're relying too much on that premise.
    Well you are aware Guillermo Del Toro is a fan of Japanese cinema and animation alike as he is paying homage to the J-monster films of yesteryear and even manga, i think this could be a fun movie no doubt.

    Do you think Del Toro is a superb director horror Sober? i admired his work since i saw Cronos when it first debuted on video when i was 13 and it was a fantastic vampire film from his country and Ron Perlman was fantastic in it. I saw Mimic 2 times in theaters as a teen and enjoyed it, i even loved Hellboy 1 & 2, Blade 2 and his masterpiece Pan's Labyrinth which i saw 2 times in theaters. He knows how to tell a story and also do imagintive stuff as well.

  22. #97
    Senior Member TIMtationX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    2,148

  23. #98
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,032

    Default Re: Pacific Rim

    A new and final? trailer for Pacific Rim!

    http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=106128

    I just refuse to believe that this movie will be a new Cutthroat Island!! (According to "The Guinness Book of Records", this film is the biggest financial loss to this date (Total cost: $115 million. Total box office earnings: $10 million. Total loss: $105 million and the movie sent Carolco Pictures to it's grave)

    No way in hell I believe that Pacific Rim is gonna be a major flop!! If the 3D is good, then WB has nothing to worry about!

  24. #99
    Senior Member Trailbreaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    11,120

    Default Re: Pacific Rim

    Quote Originally Posted by frolunda71 View Post
    A new and final? trailer for Pacific Rim!

    http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=106128
    Looks like WB listened to Horror Sober's "human element" suggestion.

  25. #100
    Senior Member NIBMRatchet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Kiribathgoda, Sri Lanka
    Posts
    712

    Default Re: Pacific Rim

    Am I the only one around here who thinks Pacific Rim will NOT live up to the hype?

    Too much pre-movie hype. I have a feeling that the finished product may not be even close to all the advertising they do. I'm not talking like this because I like Transformers more, it's because I sensed it. I could be wrong and it may shatter DOTM record... but on second thought... NAH!

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •