Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Pacific Rim

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbreaker View Post
    How many of them have used the words "big," "dumb," "loud," "stupid," "CGI fest," or worst of all, "Transformers rip-off/copycat/look-alike?"
    Shockingly no TF comparisons.

I got a few Megazord comments though.

Default Re: Pacific Rim

Quote Originally Posted by TIMtationX View Post
    Shockingly no TF comparisons.

I got a few Megazord comments though.
    Interesting. The word "Gundam" was on my mind when I saw the Jaegers. (Even then there's little resemblance, it's more about the sheer size.) Shows you how I had more Cartoon Network than Fox Kids in my life.

Looked great! It's like Metal Gear Solid vs Godzilla!

Mind: California. Body: Between US & Europe.

I can't help but think "Robot Jox"...with a bigger budget.

Whatever the case, "Pacific Rim" is a huge, huge risk - budget over $200 million, it's not based on anything, it's about big monsters and these days pretty much every blockbuster is about monsters. Del Toro doesn't have a big, successful blockbuster, his last movie underperformed, and if this thing bombs at the box office his career as a director will be in serious trouble. It's a huge gamble for him.

Come to think of it, it was the same with Bay in 2007 (well, kinda). "The Island" was a flop and no one really knew what to expect from "Transformers", box office-wise. Fortunately for Bay, the movie was a huge success. Can Del Toro expect the same thing? Time will tell.
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

Quote Originally Posted by Bayhem View Post
    Whatever the case, "Pacific Rim" is a huge, huge risk - budget over $200 million, it's not based on anything, it's about big monsters and these days pretty much every blockbuster is about monsters. Del Toro doesn't have a big, successful blockbuster, his last movie underperformed, and if this thing bombs at the box office his career as a director will be in serious trouble. It's a huge gamble for him.
    I definitely agree that this movie is a huge risk. But I think that no matter how the movie performs Guillermo's carrier is safe. He doesn't have a big blockbuster in his filmography but he is one of the best visionary directors of our time with a huge fanbase (he's in my top three together with Bay and Zack Snyder). Looks like the studio is pretty confident with him too because they've already green lit the Pacific Rim sequel which del Torro is writing.
    And although this movie indeed sounds like a big risk I think it'll perform pretty good at the box office, especially internationally (mainly China and Japan). The movie is heavily orientated for the international public. In the movie there are robots from USA, China, Australia, Japan, Russia and more. Del Torro revealed that 3 of the battles will take place in Sydney, Tokyo and Hong Kong and we know the fanbase of monster movies from some of these countries. So that's a pretty clever movie. I'm sure that the box office from those countries alone will be enough to surpass the movie's $200 million budget. This also reminds me that it's a pretty good move for big movies like Iron Man 3, The Wolverine and Transformers 4 to be also situated around the China's expanding movie market.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayhem View Post
    Whatever the case, "Pacific Rim" is a huge, huge risk
    By the way have you seen the massive positive response for the trailer on the web. It's even bigger than MOS. Really looks like this movie will be a huge success.

I think the mere fact that the movie is titled "Pacific Rim" is enough evidence that it's intended to be an international movie.

If you look up "Pacific Rim" on Wikipedia, look at the map you get:

Basically, all of the countries Albershide mentioned, and more.

Mind: California. Body: Between US & Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Albershide View Post
    I definitely agree that this movie is a huge risk. But I think that no matter how the movie performs Guillermo's carrier is safe. He doesn't have a big blockbuster in his filmography but he is one of the best visionary directors of our time with a huge fanbase (he's in my top three together with Bay and Zack Snyder). Looks like the studio is pretty confident with him too because they've already green lit the Pacific Rim sequel which del Torro is writing.

Not to go against Del Torro, because I actually like some of his work ("Blade II" and "Pan's Labyrinth")...but if "Pacific Rim" bombs at the box office he can forget about the sequel. They can have a script, actors...it doesn't matter. It's pretty simple: "studio losing money because of a weak box office = no sequel".

Stanton also wanted to make a "John Carter" sequel, the Disney folks were ready...but we all know what happened with that movie at the box office. Hell, before releasing the first one, and despite the problems during filming, Universal and Costner were willing to make "Waterworld 2"...

What I'm saying is: making concrete plans before the movie's out is not always a good thing.

As for Del Torro's career, if "Pacific Rim" is a flop it'll be a big blow to his ability to get another huge movie green-lit. It's all very practical in Hollywood. You can have a huge internet fanbase, but if that fanbase doesn't translate into "$$$" later on your career will suffer. The studio execs don't give a shit about the internet and what the internet thinks. The internet hype is absolutely useless. If the internet mattered then "Watchmen" and "Scott Pilgrim" would've been two of the most successful films of all time. Prior to release, the internet hype for these films was HUGE, but at the end of the day the box office results were weak. And box office is what counts, as far as movie execs and producers are concerned.

Just ask Scott Derrickson. He hit it big with "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" but his first blockbuster-type movie, "The Day the Earth Stood Still" (ironically, it's a movie with a giant robot), underperformed at the box office and he himself said that because of that weak performance his career as a director suffered.

His words: "The phone calls stopped and for a few years I was not working."

Eventually, and with the help of some of his friends in the industry, he was able to make "Sinister" for only $2 million and fortunatelly for him the movie was a huge success (and is one of my favorite movies of 2012).

Bottom line: the box office is the only thing that really matters in Hollywood. Nothing else.

And that's not a bad thing. After all, we all work for money and without money we wouldn't be able to survive in this world.
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

Some new scenes from the Pacific Rim CES trailer:

Some new scenes from the Pacific Rim CES trailer:

After seeing this trailer, my hopes are getting higher that they some day will do a real movie of Metal Gear Solid! Now the CGI technology has gone so far that they really could do the Metal Gears like they are in the video game!

For you who don't know what Metal Gear Solid is, here's the Wikipedia info.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Gear_Solid

Christian Bale is apparently interested to play Solid Snake. Good call if he gets the part!

Sorry for getting off topic, but the robots and monsters just reminds me a little bit of MGS.

COLLIDER:
    Guillermo del Toro Talks Hypothetical PACIFIC RIM vs. GODZILLA Movie, and His HEAVY METAL Approach
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Goldberg
    Del Toro made sure to be clear that there’s nothing in the works regarding a crossover between Pacific Rim and Godzilla, but he loves the idea. However, he also talked about how the different artistic styles might not mesh if the two worlds ever collided:
    So far with the sequel, what we’re writing, what we’re creating, is very different, so there are no plans. Hypothetically, I would love the fuck out of it. I would love to see a jaeger and Godzilla duke it out. That would be too much for the human brain. But I don’t think there are plans on that. I don’t even know what direction they’re taking Godzilla in. I know somewhat that it’s grounded differently. Pacific Rim, my aspiration was, the color, the saturation of color, was almost an acid-drip version of the Heavy Metal coloring that I loved when Richard Corben was working there, when [Jean-Claude] Forest was working there. Super bright, super saturated, the crazy color and aesthetic. And Godzilla is more realistic, somewhat. That’s my thinking. That’s what I’ve heard. I don’t even know which way they’re going.

Guillermo del Toro Talks PACIFIC RIM 2, Prepping THE STRAIN TV Series, CRIMSON PEAK, and Other Future Projects at WonderCon
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Goldberg
    Pacific Rim won’t hit theaters until July, but the hype reached fever pitch when an exclusive trailer played at WonderCon this past weekend. Furthermore, Legendary’s clearly happy with what they’ve seen thus far since they’ve commissioned a script for a sequel. Here’s what del Toro had to say about the status of Pacific Rim 2:
    We pitched a pretty good outline to Legendary several weeks ago, and they loved it, so Travis and I, as soon as we land this monster (no pun intended) into the screen, we will start actively working on the script. The outline was basically approved.

Brilliant!

Brilliant!
    F**king amazing. I especially loved the end with the ship.

I want to do what Eric Cartman did and freeze myself until this movie comes out.

Amazing.

Holy Shit.

Ed Fuego
    "can you ban people who put other members quotes in their sig? if that is not a tell all sign that a person is going to be annoying i don't know what is."
    - thegreat

Yeah, that trailer is awesome. Wonder how it will do on the box office in comparison to Transformers.

The Japanese trailer. It's a lot of images we have already seen plus Del Toro speaking. Yet still,July 12 can not get here fast enough.

This is even better. Atlantic Rim!

This is even better. Atlantic Rim!

Jeez, those are probably the best VFX The Asylum as done so far!

But Atlantic Rim? Seriously? That makes no sense. The word "Pacific Rim" actually means something in real life. There's no such thing as an "Atlantic Rim."

Quote Originally Posted by frolunda71 View Post
    Extended trailer of Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D - Series. Interesting to see how they bring back agent Coulson, since he DIED!!!!! in The Avengers...
    Wrong thread.

Jeez, those are probably the best VFX The Asylum as done so far!
    LOL! Agree, much better than Transmorphers.

Originally Posted by frolunda71
    Extended trailer of Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D - Series. Interesting to see how they bring back agent Coulson, since he DIED!!!!! in The Avengers...

Wrong thread.
    Yeah my bad!! I watched the Atlantic Rim trailer and just thought I was on The Trailer Thread. Does anyone know if it's possible to delete your own posts or how to move them to the right place? Wasn't my intention to f#%¤ this thread up. My bad!!

Quote Originally Posted by frolunda71 View Post
    Yeah my bad!! I watched the Atlantic Rim trailer and just thought I was on The Trailer Thread. Does anyone know if it's possible to delete your own posts or how to move them to the right place? Wasn't my intention to f#%¤ this thread up. My bad!!
    Ask Nelson or Sora.