Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Pacific Rim

Personally, i try to go to the movies when i can but i think there's way to much action these days or is it just me?

Super bombastic, massive movies... i like them, like the Michael Bay movies but sometimes it can get a bit to much... when you get all that advertising in your face.

I rather see calm, nice and charming movies these days and only watch Michael's movies or just simple good action movies like James Bond etc.

I saw Robocop last time, WAY to much shooting with that test range scene... i like BF4 but come on that was boring to watch.. second half was better.

Maybe i'm getting to that age where i'm like.. ok thats enough for now.. i don't know.
    Like i had a overload of action or something... anyone can relate to that?
    When i Transform i release rockets with nanobot-viruses that destroys you from within... the fuel inside you will turn into acid, metal will melt instantly...
    I'm a decepticon and my name is _____ All Hail Megatron!

Default Re: Pacific Rim

'Pacific Rim 2' Gets Release Date
    Guillermo del Toro returns to direct the sequel. Universal has slated sequel Pacific Rim 2 for release on Friday, April 7, 2017.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca Ford
    Guillermo del Toro returns to direct Legendary Pictures' sequel to the 2013 giant-robot film.

Zak Penn (The Incredible Hulk, X-Men: The Last Stand) and del Toro will write the script for the sequel, which will be released in 3D and Imax.

Legendary’s Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni will return to produce with del Toro, Mary Parent and Callum Greene. Jillian Share will executive produce.

Del Toro's 2013 film Pacific Rim starred Charlie Hunnam, Idris Elba, Rinko Kikuchi and Charlie Day. It was set in a futuristic world where giant monsters called Kaiju had risen from the ocean floor to overrun the Earth. To fight the threat, humans built giant robots that are controlled by two pilots. The film, distributed by Warner Bros., earned $411 million worldwide.

Universal will distribute the sequel. Legendary ended its pact with Warner Bros. in late 2013 and signed a five-year production and co-financing partnership with Universal that began early in 2014.

The only other film currently slated for release on that April 2017 weekend is Fox's animated movie Ferdinand.
    YouTube:
    Guillermo del Toro - Special Message about Pacific Rim

‘Transformers 4′: Why the Box Office Smash is a Turning Point in China
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Lang
    China looms over the film industry, representing its best hope for growth at a time when nimbler competitors such as television and online video are siphoning away attention and audiences.

The world’s second largest film market cast a shadow over the move business this week, pumping up the global grosses of “Transformers: Age of Extinction” by injecting a record-breaking $90 million into its opening haul. That crushes the previous high-water market of $64.5 million for “Iron Man 3″ and nearly matches the $92.5 million that Chinese-made “Journey to the West” grossed in its first seven days of release.

In total, China contributed roughly half of the fourth “Transformers” film’s international gross and nearly matched its U.S. debut.

“It’s a turning point for the dynamic between Hollywood and China,” said Phil Contrino, vice president and chief analyst at BoxOffice.com. “This taps into a whole new potential in terms of what a movie can do when it opens at the same time in the U.S. and China.”

But “Transformers” wasn’t the only film demonstrating the profit potential of the People’s Republic and its population of 1.3 billion. Legendary Pictures announced that it was proceeding with a sequel to “Pacific Rim,” a film that was met with audience indifference stateside, but was rescued from financial disaster by Asian markets. In China alone, the monsters versus giant robots adventure picked up $114 million, more than it made in the United States. Were it not for that performance and the continued growth of the Chinese market it’s doubtful that “Pacific Rim 2″ would ever make it to theaters.

“It’s a new frontier,” said Paul Dergarabedian, senior media analyst at Rentrak. “Anyone whose not already chasing China, should be.”

In other words, Optimus Prime just kicked off a Mandarin Gold Rush.

^Not only that, but story-wise, Transformers are not hunted down in China.

I think Avengers will follow suit soon. They've got some cool Chinese characters in the comic books that could really do well when translated onto the big screen. Characters like Iron Fist and Shang-Chi.
    Jet Li or the guy who played Ip Man could be great casts.

Default Re: Pacific Rim 2

Guillermo Del Toro on ‘Pacific Rim 2,’ ‘At the Mountains of Madness’ and More
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Calia
    Guillermo Del Toro is a busy man.

His new vampire horror series, “The Strain,” will soon premiere on FX, he’s currently in postproduction on the upcoming Gothic horror film “Crimson Peak,” and he starts designing the recently announced “Pacific Rim” sequel in mere weeks.

But that’s not all. The prolific director, producer and writer talked to Speakeasy in a wide-ranging, exclusive telephone interview, touching on what to expect from his plans for the “Pacific Rim” universe, how he thinks “Pacific Rim” compares to that other giant monster movie produced by Legendary Pictures, and whether he hopes that his dream project, a long-gestating adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft’s “At the Mountains of Madness,” will make it to the big screen.

Here’s part one of our interview. Check in soon for part two, which covers “The Strain.”

You’re in a bit of a horror mode right now, between “The Strain” being set to debut and “Crimson Peak” in postproduction. What can audiences expect from the latter?

It’s the first time I’ve tackled an adult story in English. When I had that terrible experience with “Mimic” in 1997, I decided to go for more action-oriented, comic book-oriented things to be done in English, and to do my more personal, my more adult-themed things in Spanish. Up until “Crimson Peak,” it’s been that way. With “Crimson Peak,” it’s the first time I’m able to articulate some adult concerns with a very elegant and sedate and visually rich world because I found great support with Legendary Pictures. Legendary basically has become a home for me, and I made it abundantly clear that “Crimson Peak” wouldn’t be something with cats jumping out at you. It was creepy, and it was eerie, but it was going to play by more idiosyncratic rules than the normal horror movie. And they were completely supportive of it.

With this support from Legendary, do you have any hope that your adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft’s “At the Mountains of Madness” will be made?

That’s exactly what I discussed with them. I said to them, that’s the movie that I would really love to do one day, and it’s still expensive, it’s still … I think that now, with the way I’ve seen PG-13 become more and more flexible, I think I could do it PG-13 now, so I’m going to explore it with [Legendary], to be as horrifying as I can, but to not be quite as graphic. There’s basically one or two scenes in the book that people don’t remember that are pretty graphic. Namely, for example, the human autopsy that the aliens do, which is a very shocking moment. But I think I can find ways of doing it. We’ll see. It’s certainly a possibility in the future. Legendary was very close to doing it at one point, so I know they love the screenplay. So, we’ll see. Hopefully it’ll happen. It’s certainly one of the movies I would love to do.

If it doesn’t work out, what are the chances we see (Lovecraft’s) Cthulhu appear as a kaiju in a “Pacific Rim” movie?

(laughs) Not really. I think there’s a really strong possibility we can do it (“At the Mountains of Madness”) at Legendary because now they are at Universal, and Universal, you may remember, almost greenlit the movie. The fact that we now have two studios together that love the material, and if they support each other, they are risking a lot less. It would be great to do it, but I’ve understood that you don’t plan your career, it just happens.

Without spoiling anything, what can fans expect from “Pacific Rim 2″?

We are three years away, so to spoil anything would be fantastically silly of me. What I can tell you: [screenwriter Zak Penn] and I really went in, we started with [screenwriter Travis Beacham] about a year and a half ago, kicking ideas back and forth. And, admittedly, I said to Zak, let’s keep kicking ideas till we find one that really, really turns the first movie on its ear, so to speak. (…) It was hard to create a world that did not come from a comic book, that had its own mythology, so we had to sacrifice many aspects to be able to cram everything in the first movie. Namely, for example “the Drift” (editor’s note: the neural link between pilots of the giant robots, or jaegers), which was an interesting concept. [Then there was] this portal that ripped a hole into the fabric of our universe, what were the tools they were using? And we came up with a really, really interesting idea. I don’t want to spoil it, but I think at the end of the second movie, people will find out that the two movies stand on their own. They’re very different from each other, although hopefully bringing the same joyful giant spectacle. But the tenor of the two movies will be quite different.

What can you tell me about the animated “Pacific Rim” series? Do you know which network will carry it?

We are talking about all the possibilities in terms of networks. We’re formulating ideas that are, again, interesting and not the usual route, but the series tackles the stories that happened to pilots working in the Shatterdome (editor’s note: a building where jaegers are built and maintained and pilots train), but also cadets learning how to become pilots. All of this happens prior to the first movie, and it gives you a little more depth into the background of certain characters that will appear in the second movie. So it’s really expanding the material. I was incredibly happy with the comic book series that came about from a graphic novel called “Tales From Year Zero,” and we are continuing the tales for the next three years. So by the time the second movie comes out, you will have probably one year of the animation airing, and you will have three years of the comic book series ongoing, so we are trying for all these things to be canon, to be in the same universe, to not wing anything, so that if anyone … a lot of kids, for example, have discovered “Pacific Rim” through the toys. They come in through the toys, and then they watch the movie, and then they learn this, they learn that through the movie or the comic book series, so we’re trying to make it canon so we can expand the universe. And by the time we come into the second movie, you have a good feel for the world, and we can dedicate ourselves to character and ideas and spectacle.

What did you feel about Gareth Edwards’ “Godzilla”? Do you feel like you have to top it?

Well, it’s a very different tone. What is great about Gareth is that he went for a really, an almost-Spielberg shock-and-awe tone that is very different from “Pacific Rim.” The thing is, when you deal with a world that has a single anomaly, meaning you have basically one monster or two battling each other, then you can take a darker tone and be metaphorical. Or when you have a single robot — namely, for example, Brad Bird’s “The Iron Giant” — you can, once again, be more reflective and build deeper into a theme than when you have to … this is a world where giant robots are possible, giant monsters are possible. So the tone has to be … I decided that it had to be more like an adventure movie. I used two analogies that were pretty invisible in the first movie: one was a sports movie, and the other was a western. I tried to bring characterization on the move. My main two characters, both [Charlie Hunnam] and [Rinko Kikuchi], play characters that have less lines than any other characters in the movie almost. They talk very little. You know them by the way they behave, the way they do and do not. In “Godzilla,” what was great is that you had this Spielbergian sense of scope and adventure, and a much darker tone. So, they don’t intersect tonally at all.

Do you plan on expanding the cast and adding new characters in “Pacific Rim 2″?

I’m hoping to bring the same idea I had in the first movie, that was to make it multicultural and humanistic as much as possible, to make characters from many nationalities or gender, to make them equal in the scope of the adventure, in the day-to-day of the adventure. So, we’re bringing a few characters that are new and hopefully doing good work managing those that survived the first movie. (laughs)

When do you expect production to start on “Pacific Rim 2″?

I start designing in six weeks. It takes me nine months to design a movie like that. People see the movie, and they have to see that we designed everything in the movie, from ID cards or patches, pamphlets, posters, signs, sets. I start with a core team for about six months designing the jaegers and the kaiju, you know, so we know how many kaiju, how many jaegers. We are creating some new jaegers and a lot of new kaiju. We start [designing the production] in August.

Collider:
    Exclusive: Guillermo del Toro Talks PACIFIC RIM Animated Series
    Says It’s Envisioned as a Long Arc That Connects to PACIFIC RIM 2, Not Episodic

Default Pacific Rim 2 & Pacific Rim 3

Guillermo Del Toro Planning for PACIFIC RIM 3; Aiming to Begin Production on PACIFIC RIM 2 in Late 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Goldberg
    With regards to Pacific Rim 2, Del Toro reiterated how the sequel will be a different experience, and expanded to say:
    “some of your favorite characters come back, some others don’t because we have decided that we’re going to shoot ambitiously and say ‘Let’s hope we have three movies,’ so some characters come in at the end of the second, hoping that it will ramp up on the third one.”

“some of your favorite characters come back, some others don’t because we have decided that we’re going to shoot ambitiously and say ‘Let’s hope we have three movies,’ so some characters come in at the end of the second, hoping that it will ramp up on the third one.

And what kind of character might that be? Godzilla perhaps?

I doubt that they will do a Godzilla crossover movie with Pacific Rim. I think what they mean with it when they say that some characters will return at the end of Part:2, is that they will rebuild a new Gipsy Danger in secret during the second movie and reveal it at the end as Gipsy Danger Mark-4 and from their point of view the robot is an character.

Default Pacific Rim 2 : MAELSTROM?

"I'll Be Back"? The 'Terminator' Dilemma: When to Admit a Franchise Is Dead
    Terminator could join Pacific Rim, Godzilla, Snow White and the Huntsman and Jack Reacher as recent bubble movies that scored sequels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pamela McClintock
    "If they are going to make another one, something has to change," says MKM Partners analyst Eric Handler. "You either have to make a better film or make it cheaper. They tried to bring in elements of the first film, but it didn't work. It's going to be very difficult. They are going to have to cater to the international market."

Those foreign grosses, which now account for two-thirds of studio tentpole returns, increasingly are cited as key in determining whether a bubble movie is sequel-worthy. For instance, 2013's Pacific Rim, made for $190 million, was considered a disappointment in the U.S. with $101 million but grossed three times as much overseas and is getting a sequel. Still, reliance on international performance is somewhat problematic because studios see a smaller cut of the box office than they do from U.S. theaters. Perhaps for that reason, insiders say that Legendary Entertainment, which is fully financing Pacific Rim 2, will spend less on the sequel, due Aug. 14, 2017, via Universal.

"Any movie that can be sequelized is money in the bank," notes Dergarabedian. The tough part, of course, is knowing when to hit the terminate button.
    AICN:
    PACIFIC RIM 2 To Start Shooting this Fall!
    Quote Originally Posted by Horrorella
    Principal photography on the sequel is said to be taking place in Toronto starting in November. It is also rumored that the film is being referred to as MAELSTROM, though, whether that's a working title or an actual title to the film remains unclear.

‘Spartacus’ Creator Steven S. DeKnight To Direct ‘Pacific Rim 2’
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Fleming Jr
    EXCLUSIVE: Legendary Pictures has set Steven S. DeKnight to direct Pacific Rim 2, the follow-up to Guillermo del Toro and Travis Beacham’s epic 2013 action-adventure film. The current script was written by Jon Spaihts based on characters created by Beacham and del Toro. Thomas Tull, Jon Jashni, del Toro and Mary Parent are producing and Jillian Share will be executive producer. Universal Pictures will release the film worldwide in 3D. Del Toro’s 2013 film grossed $411 million worldwide. About 75 percent of that came from overseas, and it was a big hit in China, where it was worth $111 million.

Pacific Rim 2 marks DeKnight’s feature directorial debut. He most recently served as executive producer and head writer of Marvel’s Daredevil for Netflix. DeKnight created the international hit series Spartacus for Starz and has written, directed and produced on such television series as Joss Whedon’s Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Angel and Dollhouse, as well as Smallville.

Spaihts recently scripted Prometheus with Damon Lindelof. Both DeKnight and Spaihts are repped by CAA, and the scribe is managed by Circle of Confusion. It’s another big-scale film on the Legendary slate, which has Warcraft opening June 10 and The Great Wall bowing February 17, 2017.

China's Wanda to Announce "Major Deal" This Week, Says Chairman Wang
    The billionaire business leader's remarks have sparked speculation that Wanda could be the minority buyer of Paramount Viacom is courting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Brzeski
    In January, Wanda finalized its acquisition of Thomas Tull's Legendary Entertainment. The deal marked the first time that a movie studio capable of producing big-budget global blockbusters — Legendary has been involved in such hits as Godzilla, Inception, Jurassic World and Pacific Rim — has come under Chinese ownership. At its year-end meeting, Wanda said it plans to make five major acquisitions in 2016, at least three of which will be outside China.

Wang, one of China's richest individuals with an estimated fortune of $32.7 billion, has expressed interest in buying a major Hollywood studio on numerous occasions in the past. He previously held discussions with both Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer and Lionsgate, but neither of the negotiations came to fruition.

'Pacific Rim 2' Enlists 'Jurassic World' Writer Derek Connolly (Exclusive)
    'Daredevil' season 1 showrunner Steven DeKnight is directing the sequel to Legendary's mechas vs monsters movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Borys Kit
    Derek Connolly, the co-writer of Jurassic World, has been tapped to work on Pacific Rim 2, the sequel to Legendary’s mechas vs. monsters directed by Guillermo del Toro.

Del Toro remains involved with the project as one of the producers but is not directing the sequel.

Steven DeKnight, the showrunner of season 1 of Netflix’s Daredevil is now on board to direct with Thomas Tull, Mary Parent and Jon Jashni also producing.

Drafts have already been worked by del Toro, Zak Penn and Jon Spaihts, and while plot details are being kept under wraps, at one point it was to have been set many years after the original movie and where the monster-fighting robot suits known as Jaegers have become commonplace.

It is also unclear is Connolly is doing a page one rewrite or developing certain story ideas.

Connolly has become a name in the monster world as the scribe, whose first screen credit was Safety Not Guaranteed, co-wrote Jurassic World with frequent collaborator Colin Trevorrow, that film’s director.

Connolly has since then worked on Jurassic World 2 and impressed the Legendary exec with his writing on the company’s creature-filled Kong: Skull Island. He also co-wrote Intelligent Life, DreamWorks' sci-fi drama that has Lupita N'yongo attached to star.

Deadline:
    ‘Star Wars’ John Boyega Takes Lead In ‘Pacific Rim’ Sequel
    Legendary Pictures has set Star Wars: The Force Awakens star John Boyega for the lead role.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Fleming Jr
    EXCLUSIVE: Legendary Pictures has set Star Wars: The Force Awakens star John Boyega for the lead role for the second installment of its Pacific Rim franchise. Steven S. DeKnight is directing the film, which will begin production in the fourth quarter of this year, based on the world created by Guillermo del Toro and Travis Beacham. Boyega will play the son of the character played by Idris Elba in the del Toro-directed original film. Universal will release the film worldwide, everywhere but China. The 2013 original grossed $411 million.

Thomas Tull, Mary Parent, Jon Jashni, and del Toro will produce the action adventure film along with Boyega and Femi Oguns under their Upper Room Productions shingle. Cale Boyter is executive producer. The picture is a beach head project for Legendary, under the leadership of Parent, who became Tull’s vice chairman of Worldwide Production after Jashni exited to start his own venture. The principals have confirmed to Deadline they found their man in Boyega.

“It is undeniable that with all his talent and natural charm, John stands out amongst today’s generation of young leading men,” said Parent.

Said del Toro: “I am very proud and happy to welcome John into a fantastic sandbox. The Pacific Rim universe will be reinforced with him as a leading man as it continues to be a multicultural, multi-layered world. ‘The World saving the world’ was our goal and I couldn’t think of a better man for the job.”

Boyega, whose breakout came with Attack The Block, next stars with Tom Hanks and Emma Watson in The Circle, and follows The Force Awakens with Star Wars: Episode VIII, as well as the animated BBC miniseries Watership Down opposite James McAvoy and Ben Kingsley. Boyega will make his stage-starring debut on the West End in Woyzeck at The Old Vic, next year.

He is repped by WME and Identity Agency Group in the UK and Hansen Jacobson.

THR:
    John Boyega to Star in 'Pacific Rim' Sequel
    The 'Star Wars' star will play the son of Idris Elba's character from the original film.

Collider:
    Universal Schedules Three Mystery Movies for 2018, 2019, and 2020
    More ‘Fast and Furious’ and ‘Jurassic World’ sequels, perhaps?

Dark Horizons:
    Hunnam, Kikuchi Not Back For "Pacific Rim 2"
    Rinko Kikuchi is also reportedly out and won't return.

Guillermo Del Toro Talks 'Pan's Labyrinth' Musical Plans, 'Pacific Rim' 2 Casting, More
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Riefe
    You’ve been talking about resurrecting Hellboy for a third installment.

Hellboy 3 is a wish that will never be fulfilled cause the first two movies made really good profits on a market that doesn’t exist anymore. The reason there’s a Hellboy 2 is not because the studios were passionate about the first one, it’s because the numbers made sense. Hellboy 1 was such a huge, huge over-performer on Blu-ray and ancillary markets. It was one the first movies on Blu-ray, it has multiple editions, all the ancillary markets over performed everywhere. And the second one did good on all ancillary markets, which now do not exist. It’s very hard to convince a studio when you’ve lost that stream of revenue. Theatrically, they basically broke even or came to a place where it made sense to make a sequel. It’s very hard for them to think with that arm gone it would still make sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Riefe
    What’s going on with cast for Pacific Rim 2? You haven’t brought back actors Charlie Hunnam or Rinko Kikuchi?

That’s not entirely true. As a producer I learned not to declare anything about a movie I’m not directing. I can tell you this — a lot of the cast from the first movie is coming back. I leave those communications to Steven DeKnight. He’s not only a director, but he’s actually a guy I respect and admire and it’s his movie.

Do you weigh in on casting? Can you talk about attaching John Boyega?

I admire him tremendously. The idea for me is that this is a continuation of the great leadership character that was Idris Elba. It’s a very different character but I love the idea of having a main character who is not a white Anglo-Saxon guy. Before the heated conversation about diversity in film started we were doing Pacific Rim. And I think that universe is a huge proponent of that.

How are you expanding the universe through this film and the Pacific Rim animation series?

If and when the animated series happens, we are mixing them. In fact the sequel takes some ideas that we created for the animated series originally. I think we need to let the live-action lead. When we went with Steven we showed him everything we were developing and he said, ‘I like this from this universe, I like this from this element, I want to bring them into the movie.’ It’s easy to expand cause you have not only the Jaeger-human universe and the Kaiju-alien universe, but (also) the fact that you are now able to play in a very history-filled universe. We started the war with the Kaiju, we won the war with the Kaiju and now it’s a postwar of those two universes.

Charlie Hunnam won't be back, and I'm not upset about it. He was my least favorite thing about the movie.

Default Re: Pacific Rim: Uprising

Twitter:
    John Boyega spotted in Jaeger Pilot armor on the set of Pacific Rim: Uprising!

Quote Originally Posted by John Boyega

Scifiedcom:
    First look at Pacific Rim: Uprising's new Jaegers!

Default Re: ‘Pacific Rim: Uprising’

BD:
    [Exclusive] ‘Pacific Rim: Uprising’ Will Feature New Jaeger 'Gipsy Avenger'