Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Pacific Rim

Default Pacific Rim

Deadline Exclusive: Legendary Pictures Re-Teams With 'Clash Of The Titans' Scribe On 'Pacific Rim'

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE FLEMING
    In a last dash pre-holiday deal, Legendary Pictures has closed a high-six figure preemptive acquisition of Pacific Rim, a science fiction film that will be written by Travis Beacham. Beacham was the original writer of Clash of the Titans, the 3D remake which has grossed $475 million worldwide for Legendary and Warner Bros.

Set in a future in which malevolent creatures threaten the earth, the planet must band together and use highly advanced technology to eradicate the growing menace. The deal was made on the basis of a detailed 25-page treatment. Legendary acquired the project under its co-production and co-financing agreement with Warner Bros. The deal was made by the writer’s reps at WME and Anonymous Content.

From Motion Captured:
    Updated! Guillermo Del Toro on 'Godzilla'? Not so fast, says director
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew McWeeny
    UPDATE (10/14/2010 - 1:30 PM PST): Speaking with agency sources close to the process today, HitFix has been able to further clarify the situation regarding "Pacific Rim," an original screenplay by Travis Beacham, and "Godzilla," currently being scripted by Dave Callaham.

Contrary to the report yesterday, there are no conversations underway regarding the merging of these two projects. Beacham's original pitch does indeed fit the vague logline that's currently available, but there's a lot about the project that isn't in that logline. After all, giant monsters are making a comeback right now, and there's a lot of studios around town preparing to get into that game. The specifics of Beacham's script are under wraps for a reason, and when you hear those specifics, you'll understand why it doesn't really work as a potential "Godzilla" film.

Dave Callaham is in the middle of his process right now, and his work has Legendary happy enough that they're talking to directors and eyeballing a release date. He's still on the film, and suggestions that they're dumping him or taking the script away simply aren't fair or accurate.

Here's the one piece of information that you might logically take away from Latino Review's story yesterday, and it is an intriguing piece of information. If you know Beacham's work, it's probably because of the spec script that made him an in-demand writer for studios, "Killing On Carnival Row." That script was a sensation when it hit Hollywood desks, and it's a great piece of world-building, really smart and cool and dark and weird. One of the script's biggest fans was actually attached to direct it at New Line for a little while, a Mr. Guillermo Del Toro. I think it's safe to assume that anything Beacham writes is something Del Toro would be willing to read, and that after he makes his dream film, "At The Mountains Of Madness," it might not be outside the realm of possibility that he would want to make a giant monster movie.

But as far as "Pacific Rim" and "Godzilla"? Not the same project. Never have been. Definitely will not be.

Screen Rant Interview: Guillermo del Toro Talks Upcoming Projects
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Eisenberg
    Just the other day, it was rumored that del Toro might direct the upcoming Godzilla reboot from Legendary Pictures. As it turned out, the misunderstanding came from del Toro’s rave over Travis Beacham’s script for Pacific Rim. The two have similar archetypes, but are completely unrelated.

We asked the director to clear up any further confusion by revisiting the rumor on camera. As enticing as it sounds, Guillermo del Toro is definitely not helping Legendary Pictures bring Godzilla back.

Quote Originally Posted by Guillermo del Toro
    “I’ve never been involved in Godzilla. I’ve read and liked Pacific Rim a lot. I’ve read it because I’ve met [writer] Travis Beacham way before and I loved his writing and I loved his world creation. But it was definitely more rumor than anything else. I never laid eyes– I know Legendary’s keeping Godzilla and Pacific Rim completely separate.”

Default Re: Pacific Rim

Just a small update of the movie:

"Del Toro described the monsters in the film to be "Huge". The film involves giant monsters traveling through a vortex in the pacific rim where they attack major cities and humans must battle them by using mecha suits called Jaegers. He comments,"This is my most un-modest film, this has everything. The scale is enormous and I'm just a big kid having fun."

I have a friend who will be working on the visual effects of Pacific Rim. He also confirmed that the movie will be huge and the scale of the worlds is enormous. There will be several alien worlds in the center of the story. He said that the only association with this movie that comes to his mind in terms of scale is Star Wars. Plenty of creatures, alien worlds etc.

I'm really waiting for the first official news about this movie. By the way right now they're in the casting process. The only confirmed actors so far are Idris Elba and Charlie Hunnam.

http://www.deadline.com/interstitial...s-pacific-rim/

Banned

Sounds interesting! Kinda like Cloverfield meets Battle: LA

Nice find!

Is Guillermo Del Toro’s Monster Epic Now Titled STILL SEAS?
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Holmes
    Finally after three years of false starts on other projects (including The Hobbit and At The Mountains of Madness), director Guillermo del Toro will begin filming his Asian set monster movie for Warner Bros and Legendary Pictures on Monday at Pinewood Toronto Studios.

Written by Travis Beacham, the movie is centered around an alternate version of Earth in the near future decades after a historic date in November 2012 when the first towering Godzilla-like beast emerged from a hole in the Pacific Ocean and attacked the city of Osaka, Japan. Since the first attack, the rim has been “spitting out” a variety of gigantic monsters at an increasing rate, which then stride out of the ocean and begin destroying sea-bordering cities, like Tokyo and Los Angeles. In order to combat these monstrous, otherworldly menaces, the military developed the “Jaeger” program, which trains teams of two pilots to jointly operate massive, building-sized mechanized suits of armor and high-tech weaponry.

Charlie Hunnam, Charlie Day, Idris Elba, Max Martini, Clifton Collins Jr and Diego Klattenhoff star.

The monster vs. mechas film has previously gone by the name Pacific Rim but there’s rumours today that could be more of a working title as on Wednesday, Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. has registered three domain names for the film including Still-Seas-movie.com, StillSeasmovie.com, and StillSeasthemovie.com.

Of course registering three domain names when you are the size of Warner Bros is cheap business but The Hollywood Reporter did say earlier in the summer that the film was being refered to internally as Still Seas.

Was that a hidden title to keep off the scent of Pacific Rim when filming or is Still Seas now the official title for Del Toro’s new film?

With a press release regarding the start of filming to come soon… things might be a little clearer, though we should remind ourselves that Pacific Rim has already had a mock-up Legendary teaser poster, so surely they wouldn’t change the title to something as banal as Seven Seas?
    From THR 7/5/2011:
    Guillermo Del Toro's Pacific Rim at Pinewood Toronto Studios - The Warner Bros. monster movie is set to sail into Toronto as "Still Seas" for a six month shoot to mid-April 2012.
    Quote Originally Posted by Etan Vlessing
    TORONTO – Guillermo del Toro’s monster movie Pacific Rim has quietly booked itself into Pinewood Toronto Studios with the working title Still Seas for a six month shoot through April 2012.

Del Toro's monsters vs mechas action movie from Legendary Pictures, which is executive produced by Callum Greene, will start shooting in Toronto on the Pinewood soundstages from October 31, 2011.

Guillermo del Toro talks Pacific Rim:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=84310

Pooping Vampires And Giant Robots: A Chat With Guillermo Del Toro
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyriaque Lamar
    The Strain and Cronos represented your spin on the vampire legend. Similarly, your upcoming Frankenstein film and Pacific Rim are the del Toro take on The Monster and mecha, respectively. What's the appeal of reenvisioning classic horror and scifi tropes?

The reality is that it comes not from a goal, but from the fact that I'm fulfilling my bucket list as a kid.

Speaking of Pacific Rim, how's that going?

Very good, we're at the end of our second week. We are shooting everything for the main complex in the movie, which is a huge complex in Hong Kong where the robots are maintained. We are doing that, while building downtown Hong Kong streets.

I love the movie's logo. I wonder if the visual style will be similar to Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.

From Motion Captured:
    The Bigger Picture: Muppets, Avengers, and Life In The Age Of Fanfiction
    A new column examines the idea that our pop culture truly belongs to the fans today
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew McWeeny
    You can treat something with reverence. You can treat it with irreverence. You can be sincere or silly, faithful or free to reinvent. You have to approach each property differently, and always… always… you have to give it to people who would make it for you for free. Morgan Spurlock's Comic-Con documentary has one storyline in particular that I think is just tremendous, inspiring and cool and funny. It's the story of Holly Conrad, a costume designer who is also a raving "Mass Effect" fan. She and her friends enter the masquerade at the Con and they win. More than that, though, she's now actually working on the Legendary Pictures film version of "Mass Effect" in some capacity. And when you're talking about genuine fans, you have to include Thomas Tull, the CEO of Legendary, who is as sincere a genre nerd as I've ever spoken with, but with a bigger checkbook than anyone else making fanfiction right now. He can pay for "The Dark Knight" because that's the version of Batman he wants to see. And ultimately, that is what fanfiction is,,, using whatever resources you have to make something about the properties that you love. If all you have is a Text Edit program and some inspiration, fine. Write the story. If you want to do a homemade video thing and shoot it guerilla and do all the FX yourself, and you want to spend $500 total, that's awesome. Do it. Directors are getting jobs now based on the fanfilms they make, and it seems like execs don't care. They're just looking at the skill set on display, and if the film punches some nostalgic button to give the exec that little extra squirt of Dopamine while he's watching, even better. And if you end up running a giant hedge fund and you think Godzilla's cool and you know he's got to fight other giant monsters and you think they screwed it up the last time Hollywood tried, and you want to pay to see that version, then fantastic. That's Hollywood 2012. That's where we are, and I don't see that changing.

But I hope as this age continues, and I think it will for a while still, these filmmakers take the time to also try the new. Thomas Tull may be making "Godzilla," an actual licensed version of the giant monster that still looms larger than any other internationally, but he's also the guy who finally had the stones to make "Pacific Rim" with Guillermo Del Toro, a giant monster movie with some pretty radical twists built in. It's like he's making both "Flash Gordon" and "Star Wars" at the same time. It is encouraging, certainly, and I hope more and more filmmakers take that step past the fanfiction that something like "Cabin In The Woods" represents next year, a film that is not just a show-off know-it-all ode to a genre, but also a very new and different expression of that genre. It seems to me that the Age of Fanfiction could give way to a new Age Of Invention, but that's going to require us to let go of the familiar at some point.

The release date has been changed from May 10, 2013, to July 12, 2013.
    I hope we get to see some kind of teaser in the following weeks.

Guillermo del Toro:

Pacific Rim is the best creative experience I ever had in Hollywood
    Great to hear that. This one should be a masterpiece.

Here is the latest synopsis:

When legions of monstrous creatures, known as Kaiju, started rising from the sea, a war began that would take millions of lives and consume humanity’s resources for years on end. To combat the giant Kaiju, a special type of weapon was devised: massive robots, called Jaegers, which are controlled simultaneously by two pilots whose minds are locked in a neural bridge. But even the Jaegers are proving nearly defenseless in the face of the relentless Kaiju. On the verge of defeat, the forces defending mankind have no choice but to turn to two unlikely heroes-a washed up former pilot (Charlie Hunnam) and an untested trainee (Rinko Kikuchi)-who are teamed to drive a legendary but seemingly obsolete Jaeger from the past. Together, they stand as mankind’s last hope against the mounting apocalypse.
    And some interesting words about the cast and scale:

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/guille...ks-pacific-rim

First image from the movie!

Badass.

My #1 must see movie at the moment.

Collider has made an hour long interview with Guillermo about "his past projects, Pacific Rim, what he has coming up, and everything in between." It's great. Here is the first part.

http://collider.com/guillermo-del-to...erview/185127/

P.S. So the trailer is coming in November - December!

Part 2

In today’s installment, del Toro reveals why they didn’t shoot Pacific Rim in 3D and why they won’t post convert, the reason they used the RED EPIC camera and had 15 of them on set, how the logistical problems in the film were all about scale, and why he edits all of his films as he shoots and that his first cut is a little over two hours. In addition, del Toro reveals that the Pacific Rim Blu-ray will have 30 minutes of deleted scenes and talks about why he cut them out of the film. He also describes some of the scenes. Finally, he says they will be deleted scenes and not part of some extended cut.
    http://collider.com/pacific-rim-dele...lu-ray/185377/

Quote Originally Posted by Albershide View Post
    Part 2

In today’s installment, del Toro reveals why they didn’t shoot Pacific Rim in 3D and why they won’t post convert, the reason they used the RED EPIC camera and had 15 of them on set, how the logistical problems in the film were all about scale, and why he edits all of his films as he shoots and that his first cut is a little over two hours. In addition, del Toro reveals that the Pacific RimBlu-ray will have 30 minutes of deleted scenes and talks about why he cut them out of the film. He also describes some of the scenes. Finally, he says they will be deleted scenes and not part of some extended cut.
    http://collider.com/pacific-rim-dele...lu-ray/185377/
    So wait, is he basically...shooting for the edit?

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbreaker
    So wait, is he basically...shooting for the edit?
    Nice.

Part 3.

For today’s installment, del Toro explains why he wanted an international cast (he didn’t want just one country and one race saving the planet), the different robots (Jaegers) and monsters (Kaiju) that will be in the film, how a huge nighttime battle in the rain takes place in Hong Kong, the amount of robots and monsters they designed, and more.
    http://collider.com/pacific-rim-mons...attles/185759/

Part 4:

For today’s installment I’ve got del Toro talking about his love of Mondo, whether Pacific Rim will get Mondo prints at next summer’s Comic-Con, what recent purchases have been made for his man cave (his second house where he keeps all his collectibles), and he reveals what the book Guillermo del Toro’s Cabinet of Curiosities is really about. For fans it sounds like this is a must own because it’ll feature reproductions of some of his diary pages, and he also did an epic interview over the course of eight days, a lot of which will be in the book. But the coolest part of the interview is del Toro’s long term plans for his man cave. He says that after he’s gone, he’d like to have the people that write the stuff he likes (horror, science fiction and fantasy) to be able to live in the house for six months or a year at a time and to use what’s in there as inspiration!
    http://collider.com/guillermo-del-to...erview/185888/

Part 8.

For today’s installment, del Toro talks about the soundtrack of Pacific Rim, the collectables we can expect next year, and reveals he paid for his own set of productionmaquettes for his personal collection.

http://collider.com/guillermo-del-to...tables/187592/

And if you're fan of Guillermo as me you can check parts 5,6 and 7 which are not Pac Rim related. (at the bottom of the above link)

Ron Perlman on Pacific Rim:

The scope of the film is gigantic, it makes Transformers look like a Merchant Ivory movie.

http://www.pacificrimmovie.net/news/...-film-gigantic

Greedy bastards! Although Gillermo said several times that this movie is not meant for 3D, the studio decided to go against his will. They're going to post covert it in 3D. Del Toro said that because of the scale of the movie there is not enough paralax and it won't have the desired effect in 3D. But they just want a few more dollars.

Mind: California. Body: Between US & Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Albershide View Post
    Greedy bastards! Although Gillermo said several times that this movie is not meant for 3D, the studio decided to go against his will. They're going to post covert it in 3D. Del Toro said that because of the scale of the movie there is not enough paralax and it won't have the desired effect in 3D. But they just want a few more dollars.

In all fairness, on the surface "Pacific Rim" has all the hallmarks of a 3D movie - giant creatures, heavy action and apparently a lot of CGI. I know Del Torro had other plans but this still could end up being a pretty good 3D experience (despite the fact that they didn't use 3D cameras). And people should not be surprised that Del Toro lost the battle with Warner over this - even though he's famous among film fans in reality he's not as big as Cameron, Nolan, Bay, Jackson or Spielberg. He doesn't have a real blockbuster film (I know he made "Hellboy 1,2" and "Blade II", but they didn't end up being huge box office hits) so at this point he doesn't have a choice and he has to follow the studio.

Look at Nolan for example - he achieved huge box office success with "Dark Knight" and "Inception" and because of that Warner didn't say anything about a 3D version of "Dark Knight Rises" and the man was able to release the movie the way he wanted to release it - in 2D and IMAX. No one even mentioned 3D conversion.

Unfortunately Del Toro is not as big as Nolan.
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."