Thread: Space Battleship Yamato (STAR BLAZERS)

Default Space Battleship Yamato (STAR BLAZERS)

From Variety:
    Japan box office faces uncertainty - Toho dominates, but market factors put other distribs on edge

Quote Originally Posted by MARK SCHILLING
    One ray of hope is 3D, where the Hollywood product far outdistances the local competition, in terms of budgets and sheer numbers. By 2012, nearly one-third of all Japanese screens are expected to be 3D -- and the Hollywood successors to "Avatar," which has earned more $160 million in Japan, will probably be filling most of them, including Legendary Pictures' 3D entry in Toho's iconic "Godzilla" franchise.

Toho plans to end the year big, with "Space Battleship Yamato." Based on a much-beloved 1970s Leiji Matsumoto toon, this sci-fi space opera is being compared to "Avatar" in its potential B.O. impact. Meanwhile, makers of the 300-plus local films that aren't on the Toho lineup will be battling for space of another kind, from theater marquees to DVD shelves.

It's not fair, but then neither were all those stompings Godzilla administered to the frantically fleeing citizens of Tokyo. In the Japanese biz, you can run from Toho, but you just can't hide.
    From Tokyo Graph Sat, October 3, 2009:
    Live-action "Yamato" details revealed

The live-action "Space Battleship Yamato" movie had its cast publicly revealed on Friday, along with other new details about the project. The film is being directed by Takashi Yamazaki with a projected release date in December 2010.

As previously announced, SMAP member Takuya Kimura (36) will star as the protagonist Susumu Kodai, while Meisa Kuroki (21) has been confirmed as the replacement for Erika Sawajiri (23) in the role of Yuki Mori.

Two characters have been modified for the movie. Crew members Aihara and Dr. Sado have been changed into females, played by Maiko (24) and Reiko Takashima (45), respectively.

The other cast members revealed so far are Toshiro Yanagiba (as Shiro Sanada), Naoto Ogata (as Daisuke Shima), Hiroyuki Ikeuchi (as Hajime Saito), Shinichi Tsutsumi (as Mamoru Kodai), Isao Hashizume (as Heikuro Todo), Toshiyuki Nishida (as Hikozaemon Tokugawa), and Tsutomu Yamazaki (as Juzo Okita). The actor playing the antagonist Desslar has not yet been announced.

The CG-heavy film has an estimated budget of more than 2 billion yen. Filming will start later this month.
    From Variety Dec. 16, 2009:
    Toho unveils 2010 slate - Japanís giant distrib-exhib will unspool 30 pics
    Toho, Japan's biggest distrib and exhib, has unveiled a 30-pic line-up for 2010 that promises stiff competition for Hollywood in the already difficult Japanese market.

Topping the line-up is the new toon from Studio Ghibli, "Karigurashi no Arrietty" (Arrietty Borrows Everything), based on Mary Norton's classic book, "The Borrowers."

Pic will be directed by studio animator Hiromasa Yonebayashi with resident genius Hayao Miyazaki scripting and supervising. It is skedded to bow in the summer.

Packing even more box office potential is the third outing in the "Bayside Shakedown" series about a cheeky detective, played by Yuji Oda, who battles bad guys and police bureaucracy with the aid of oddball co-workers.

The pic has been penciled in for a July bow. The second installment, released in 2003, made $197 million.

Also looking to top the B.O. is the third entry in the "Umizaru" series about elite divers in the Japanese Coast Guard, due out in September. The previous pic, bowing in 2006, made $81 million.

Umizaru 3" and "Bayside Shakedown 3" are produced by the Fuji TV network.

At the end of the year, Toho will be expecting big things from "Space Battleship Yamato," the sci-fi fantasy based on Reiji Matsumoto's iconic 1970s TV and pic toon series. The live-action pic, helmed by CGI whiz Takashi Yamazaki, has a budget in the region of $30 million -- huge for a local pic.
    From Variety Sun., Dec. 27, 2009:
    Ad splash for 'Yamato' - Toho spending big on New Year's Day blitz for film

Toho, Japan's leading distrib and exhib, is splashing out $11 million on New Year's Day advertising for its sci-fi spectacular "Space Battleship Yamato" -- a huge sum for a local pic.

The spend comes on top of its $30 million budget, the upper limit for a domestic pic.

Toho will run "Yamato" commercials on all five networks, beginning with the first ad after midnight on Jan. 1, considered the most prestigious, and priciest, spot.

The blitz also features ads in national newspapers; the biggest is a four-page spread, including front and back pages, in the conservative Sankei Shinbun broadsheet.

Finally, Toho will screen 30-second trailers in all its theaters Jan. 1-8.

Skedded for a December 2010 bow, "Space Battleship Yamato" is a live-action version of the iconic 1970s Leiji Matsumoto anime space opera, helmed by Takashi Yamazaki and featuring local superstar Takuya Kimura.

From TWITCH:
    Catch A Glimpse Of The Wave Motion Cannon In Action In The Latest Trailer For Takashi Yamazaki's SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO (STAR BLAZERS)

Default Re: Space Battleship Yamato (STAR BLAZERS)

Sounds great, i've been an anime fan since 95 when i was 14 years old with Akira and others. I had previous experience with anime as a kid in the 80's with stuff like Unico, Jack and The Beanstalk (1974), Voltron and more especially the butchered US version of Hayao Miyazaki's "Nausicca Valley of the Wind" known as "Warriors of the Wind". I watched Vampire Hunter D and Robot Carnival on TBS when i was 12 as i loved them, but Akira was my best experience in anime watching at 14 after christmas and became a fan.

In early 96 when Ghost in The Shell hit one of the theaters, i saw it with my uncle and i loved it. I saw Star Blazers when i was in anime club in high school, enjoyed it and i'm excited for this one.

Did you know that Spielberg and company are gonna do a 3D live-action adaptation of "Ghost in The Shell" and the Hughes Brothes are gonna do a 2-part live-action adaptation of "Akira"? it's true. Did you know that directors like Michael Bay, James Cameron, Steven Spielberg, The Wachowski Brothers, Guillermo Del Toro, Peter Jackson and others are fans of Akira and Ghost in The Shell? it's true. You can tell that GITS (Ghost in The Shell) influenced The Island, The Matrix and other stuff today as well as Akira influenced Minority Report and other movies.

Do you think Bay would have been perfect for a live-action Akira movie?

I really hope FX won't be shabby. I love their idea of casting Yamazaki as Okita, but honestly, felt WTF when I heard about the "lady" Sado sensei (it's as weird as making Ratchet a fembot).

I agree that she is a talented Japanese actress.

Say Sora, do you think it's cool the above anime i mentioned are gonna get live-action movies especially Akira by The Hughes Brothers? i still think Michael Bay would have been perfect for an Akira live-action movie since the original is one of his favorite animated movies, he also loves Ghost in The Shell with Ninja Scroll, Ghibli stuff like Mononoke, Grave of the Fireflies, and some others. It's a fact! I would Bay's style would have gone perfect for Akira the live-action movie, Robert DiNiro can be the Col don't you think? What did you think of Speed Racer the live-action movie?

I grew up with the original SR cartoon since i was a kid and thought the movie did a bang up job of bringing it to glorious life. Next they are gonna do Ninja Scroll in a live-action movie? Would Bay or Quentin Tarantino work for a live-action NS movie since they are fans of the original classic? they need a handsome and popular Japanese actor to fit the role of Juebi and a sexy Japanese actress for the role of Kegero the sexy poison ninja girl. Cowboy Bebop will be a movie next, too bad the live-action Dragonball movie blew nuts. I heard of Sailor Moon in the works over the years but nothing happened. Wicked City will become a live-action movie soon and will improve over the horrible live-action Hong Kong attempt but be more faithful to the Japanese comic strips and 1987 classic anime movie from Yoshiatka Kawajarri.

How about Vampire Hunter D in live-action? that would rock the boat since i grew up as a teen in the mid-90's on VHD and i think it's sequel Bloodlust is even better. Maybe a superior live-action Fist of the North Star (Should improve over the piece of shit 95 live-action soft attempt) would be awesome.

I heard in your country they did a live-action Grave of the Fireflies movie, Death Note in live-action and La Blue Girl (Infamous hentai anime) in live-action.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    I agree that she is a talented Japanese actress..
    Who? Yamazaki (Okita) is 73 years-old man. I like Takashima (Dr. Sado) too, but still think that making Sado a beautiful woman is a strange idea.

I was being sarcastic! I know it's a dude, they'll say on that actor when playing the role of a woman "She was a fine actress" when they'll know it's a guy in disguise. It fooled me when i watched Ranma 1/2 thinking female Ranma was hot but spoiled it for me when she is actually a guy when magically transformed by cold water but turns back into a guy by hot water.

Ever seen Ranma 1/2? funny stuff.

I was being sarcastic! I know it's a dude, they'll say on that actor when playing the role of a woman "She was a fine actress" when they'll know it's a guy in disguise. It fooled me when i watched Ranma 1/2 thinking female Ranma was hot but spoiled it for me when she is actually a guy when magically transformed by cold water but turns back into a guy by hot water.

Ever seen Ranma 1/2? funny stuff.
    Why did you have to be sarcastic? Okita is the surname of the legendary (male) captain of Yamato. Tsutomu Yamazaki is a great actor and he's not going to play the role of a woman (Okita is male in the live-action movie, too). Also, Sado has been the name of an always-boozing, skin-headed elderly male doctor in Yamato. Live-action movie's writers just made a change to the role, adopted a hot female doctor (whom will be played by the actress Reiko Takashima) instead of this beloved old guy. So, there won't be any Ramma-like magical transformation, nor disguise in the movie.

I thought every Yamato fan knew so well about the aforementioned characteristics of Captain Okita and Dr. Sado.

Well it's been so long since i saw Yamato, i was in high school in the late 90's. I need to buy the DVD sets.

Say Sora, you excited about Spielberg bringing a live-action 3D Ghost in The Shell movie on the big screen? Who should be Kusanagi, Bataou and PuppetMaster? I think Ashley Greene should be Kusanagi (Would love to see Greene nude), Bataou should be played by Ron Perlman and PuppetMaster by Jigsaw himself Tobin Bell.

But didn't they already did a live-action GITS movie called The Matrix? or was that influenced by GITS or in Japan Kokaku Kidotai (What they call it in Japan)? You can tell how big Matrix was similar. Even Michael Bay's The Island was similar to GITS since he is a fan of GITS, did yo know that? both Ghost and The Island are excellent Sci-fi movies about finding out about what it's like being human or not human including memory finding, even the sequence of the cloning i believe was a homage to Ghost in The Shell, do you think so?

What did you think of Speed Racer the movie? It's amazing that hollywood filmmakers like our beloved Bay, James Cameron, The Wachowskis, Jonathan Mostow, Steven Spielberg, Guillermo Del Toro and more are fans of anime even of Hayao Miyazaki. Since Matrix was like GITS, do you think Avatar was the close in being like Nausicca of the Valley of the Winds from Miyazaki? Cameron is a big fan of Miyazaki afterall.

Do you believe Michael Bay would have been perfect for the purposed live-action Akira movie? like i said, it's one of his favorite animated movies.

Maybe Eli Roth or Takashi Miike can do a live-action Urotsukidoji movie, what would that be like? messed up or what?

Did you know that Spielberg and company are gonna do a 3D live-action adaptation of "Ghost in The Shell" and the Hughes Brothes are gonna do a 2-part live-action adaptation of "Akira"? it's true. Did you know that directors like Michael Bay, James Cameron, Steven Spielberg, The Wachowski Brothers, Guillermo Del Toro, Peter Jackson and others are fans of Akira and Ghost in The Shell? it's true. You can tell that GITS (Ghost in The Shell) influenced The Island, The Matrix and other stuff today as well as Akira influenced Minority Report and other movies.

Do you think Bay would have been perfect for a live-action Akira movie?
    I knew about the Akira movie in 2 parts, but did you know about the live action of Cowboy Bebop with Keanu Reeves as Spike? Although, right now the adaptation has a problem with the budget and they are going to change the script. Hopefully it won't be like that Dragonball movie But Shinichiro Watanabe (Cowboy Bebop anime director) will be part of the project.

And there's a Gunnm adaptation on the way too, apparently by James Cameron, but only after the sequel of Avatar.

What did you think of Speed Racer?

What did you think of Speed Racer?
    About Speed Racer, what bothered me the most was that fake background with a really high color contrast, it hurted my eyes, specially in the house and the park/playground (the green of the grass was really a killer).

But the races were very cool for me (also reminded me of F-zero - a car racing game), and Racer X was perfect, as the Mach 5. Speed looked good too. It was very true to the animation, in my opinion.

Sounds good, i hope it comes to the USA cause i loved the show since high school in the 90's.

DEADLINE EXCLUSIVE:
    'True Grit' Co-Financier Skydance Targets 'Star Blazers' For Christopher McQuarrie
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKE FLEMING
    David Ellison's Skydance Productions is negotiating a rights deal to turn the 1970s animated science fiction TV series Star Blazers into a large scale live action feature. Ellison will hire Christopher McQuarrie to write the script, with Ellison and Josh C. Kline producing. The series was based on the Japanese anime series Space Battleship Yamato. Both are described as "space opera," involving alien invasions, the near extinction of the human race, and a last dash journey through space to save the planet.

Ellison started Skydance with hopes he could emulate the studio-aligned-producer-who-can-put-up-50% model that Thomas Tull's Legendary Pictures has succeeded with at Warner Bros. Ellison made a deal with Paramount Pictures in late 2009 to co-finance four to six pictures per year, and then raised a reported $350 million in debt and equity funding. His Paramount deal has gotten off to a flying start: Skydance funded half of True Grit, the $30 million Joel and Ethan Coen-directed Western that is up for 10 Oscars, including Best Picture. More importantly to Ellison's investors, True Grit has so far grossed $165 million domestic, with foreign still rolling out.

Ellison is the son of Oracle founder Larry Ellison and an accomplished acrobatic pilot who has a particular appetite for aviation projects (though his first foray as actor-producer, the Tony Bill-directed Flyboys, landed with a thud). Skydance headquarters are currently at the Santa Monica Airport, housed in a hangar that overlooks Ellison's array of stunt planes., but he will soon move to offices on the Paramount lot.

Skydance has fast become a key player for Paramount, a studio that has been funding its pictures piecemeal since its slate financing arrangement with Melrose 2 dried up, and Paramount walked away from a $450 million slate deal with Deutsche Bank in 2008 because the studio found the deal point onerous in an unstable credit market. Just like Tull did at Warner Bros, Ellison's slate is a mix of projects brought to him by Paramount, and others that he's taken the active hand in developing. Among the Paramount projects Skydance is co-financing is Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol, the rebooted Jack Ryan franchise that is undergoing a Steve Zaillian rewrite, with Chris Pine starring and Jack Bender directing, My Mother's Curse, the Dan Fogelman-scripted comedy that has Ann Fletcher attached to direct and Barbra Streisand and Seth Rogen as potential stars, an untitled comic pitch being written by David Caspe that Charlize Theron will star in and produce, and the Shane Salerno-scripted License to Steal, about high end repo agents who reclaim play toys of the wealthy, including jets and speedboats. He separately is developing Strange Case of Hyde with Dark Horse comic, but hasn't yet set that at a studio.

Ellison has a Top Gun sequel percolating, which would potentially also be written by McQuarrie, a steady presence on Tom Cruise pictures. Cruise is currently starring in Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol, which Skydance is co-financing.

From AICN:
    Christopher McQuarrie to write Live Action STARBLAZERS movie! MAYBE NOT! Could be LUCASFILM!!!
    Hey folks, Harry here

Just got back from 2 hours of work outs to a very trusted source that tells me that the rights on this are nowhere near resolved. Skydance is hard at work negotiating to get the rights, but at the same time - so is LUCASFILM and others. It seems people are finally waking up tot he inherent awesome that is STAR BLAZERS... I could totally see Lucasfilm doing some amazing things with this too. What do you folks think?

Hey folks, Harry here...

Ok - we've seen this announcement before here at AICN. About a decade ago, Disney was looking to make a live-action STAR BLAZERS movie... but they never really cracked it. Now, the company that co-financed with Paramount, the Coen Brothers' TRUE GRIT, has optioned and making with Paramount a live action STAR BLAZERS film to be written by Christopher McQuarrie... who has become a crazy busy screenwriter. Personally, I wish they'd just hire him to direct it too, as his brand of swagger would go a long way towards making it kick ass.

My problem with an American version of STAR BLAZERS is that... frankly, the new live action SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO - is what I want to have distribution and to play in theaters in this country with subtitles. I've heard again and again that it kicks untold ass. That said, if done right - it could be amazing. But it has to be done note perfect. Mike Fleming over at Deadline broke the story... but I just hope that it feels right.

We're beginning to get to an age of film in the post AVATAR time period where the big ambitious science fiction fun stuff can be done. Now if someone would just finance Fincher's HEAVY METAL project and GOON project - I would be a truly happy camper!

Well it's been so long since i saw Yamato, i was in high school in the late 90's. I need to buy the DVD sets.

Say Sora, you excited about Spielberg bringing a live-action 3D Ghost in The Shell movie on the big screen? Who should be Kusanagi, Bataou and PuppetMaster? I think Ashley Greene should be Kusanagi (Would love to see Greene nude), Bataou should be played by Ron Perlman and PuppetMaster by Jigsaw himself Tobin Bell.

Maybe Eli Roth or Takashi Miike can do a live-action Urotsukidoji movie, what would that be like? messed up or what?
    Greene as Motoko would ruin it for me. Greene is too daisy cute. Motoko is a warrior, hard, tough, and mature. Motoko Kusanagi is my personal all time heroine, I'd rather seea film not be done than done with the wrong Motoko. I vote Milla Jovovich, or someone along those lines. I can see Perlman as Batou, physically, but can he portray Batou's feelings well? I doubt it. Puppetmaster could be anyone really.

And Urotsukidoji Hollywood live action, that would be the day. Lmao.