Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The original Transformers animated movie (1986).

Default The original Transformers animated movie (1986).

Who here likes this kickass spin-off big screen season 4 pilot? i loved it since i was 5 years old seeing it in 86 in August on the big screen with my big brother who was also into Transformers.

For an animated movie it kicked major ass of seeing my second PG-rated animated movie after Black Cauldron and before my brother rented Wizards and Fire and Ice. I was surprised at the cussing and the violence, this movie also gave emotions to every kid who saw this on the big screen of seeing Optimus's death. Me and my 13 year old big brother who was a Transformers fan were emotional, Orson Welles with Robert Stack, Leonard Nimoy and Weird Al plus Eric Idle gave amazing voice acting in this movie.

It's one of my fave Sci-fi and animated movies of all time. I wonder if it will hit Blu-Ray next year in time for TF4? will it?

Default Re: The original Transformers animated movie (1986).

I still pull this out from time to time and watch it. I was older then most it seems ..when this came out.. I was driving..and me and my friends went to see it in our rinky dink little town theater about 10 times.
    Jazz: "We're not Gods...We're just fancy machines" The God Gambit

Actually do they have the original animated movie out on dvd? If so i would like to buy it though watching OP die will be hard 4 me but i guess i can always fast 4ward it not to c that part lol!
    "The only human female to ever fall in love with a prime"

Hated it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz935 View Post
    I still pull this out from time to time and watch it. I was older then most it seems ..when this came out.. I was driving..and me and my friends went to see it in our rinky dink little town theater about 10 times.
    How old were you Jazz?

And Trailbreaker, you hated this? i thought every TF loved it. You hated it because they killed Optimus right? in the original late 1986 VHS of TF the movie the narrator who sounds like a villainous popeye stated that Optimus Prime will returned and he did in the last season.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    How old were you Jazz?

And Trailbreaker, you hated this? i thought every TF loved it. You hated it because they killed Optimus right? in the original late 1986 VHS of TF the movie the narrator who sounds like a villainous popeye stated that Optimus Prime will returned and he did in the last season.
    No, there are a handle of TF fans out there that absolutely despise it. Imagine having every one of your favorite characters viciously murdered in the first act of the movie just to have them replaced by complete strangers, for the sake of selling new toys? That would scar a kid for life. It's almost as if Hasbro did NOT want you to care about the other cast anymore. People argue that all of these toy movies are nothing more than 2 hour long commercials. The live action TF movies may have been that, but they were in the best, and most successful form. TF: The Movie was a 2 hour toy commercial in the worst form, and the results were the opposite of what Hasbro intended. There's a reason the cartoon declined in viewership after the movie.

Of course what do I know? I was born 6 years after this movie was made. I guess I'm not a "true fan" either.

How old were you Jazz?
    In 86 I was 16 almost 17 when the movie came out. working 2 jobs and going to school.. and had a massive TF collection at the time.( advantages of one of your jobs being in a toy store)

I was 5 at the time when i was living in St. Louis for 3 years from 1985 to early 1988 before moving to Omaha. My 13 year old brother Neil was a big TF fan as he had the TF guide which i own now that tells details on many species of transformers and had nearly all the toys, i had some toys like Ultra Magnus to Hot Rod and even Grimlock to Swoop. I was more into He-Man, GI Joe and Thundercats with Real Ghostbusters at the time even though i loved TFs.

I remembered on August 5th of 1986 my mom and dad took us to one of the major movie theaters where they went to see a movie on their own while me and my brother went to see TF The Movie. What good memories it was even to see a big screen adult animated movie that is rated PG, we were shocked on how the violence was graphic even though no humans were killed and how it had profanity like the infamous Shit scene (censored on the FHE video). But man it was one of the best movie going experiences in my life, i even had a 3D TF the Movie book plus some of the Marvel comics as did Neil.

I thought the characters were kickass like Unicron for example who just needed a toy but only in Japan they would cause it would be too difficult in the US. Luckily we got Unicron toys, maybe in time for Transformers 3 the original TF animated movie will hit Blu-Ray with all teh extras from the 2-Disc anniversary edition to be in great high definition quality with some BD exclusives like isolated score.

Who can't resist that awesome soundtrack by Vince Dicola, Lion and others? i had the soundtrack on tape for years then finally in 2007 i sold it to get the full soundtrack with the full score and still had the songs in it including the never before heard Stan Bush TF theme song.

I gotta say 1986 was a great movie going experience to be a kid seeing movies like this, Top Gun, Aliens, Howard The Duck, The Great Mouse Detective, An American Tail (Twice), Star Trek 4, The Little Shop of Horrors, The Adventures of Mark Twain (Remember this clay animated movie from Will Vinton Claymation?), Making Contact (a.k.a. Joey) (Remember this one? this scary horror fantasy movie with a evil monocle wearing ventriloquist dummy and a psychic kid), Legend and others.

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbreaker View Post
    No, there are a handle of TF fans out there that absolutely despise it. Imagine having every one of your favorite characters viciously murdered in the first act of the movie just to have them replaced by complete strangers, for the sake of selling new toys? That would scar a kid for life.
    That may be true, but as a kid, you don't know the business side of it. All you know is that your favorite characters were killed. Nobody knew the real reason until years later. Hasbro never realized how attached kids were to the original characters, 'tis the reason why Prime was brought back immediately. They even made it a point to mention it at the end of the TF movie.

Quote Originally Posted by TIMtationX View Post
    That may be true, but as a kid, you don't know the business side of it. All you know is that your favorite characters were killed. Nobody knew the real reason until years later. Hasbro never realized how attached kids were to the original characters, 'tis the reason why Prime was brought back immediately. They even made it a point to mention it at the end of the TF movie.
    They brought him back, but how many times did they kill him is season 3? Twice I think.

I own this on DVD, it has great visuals great artwork the soundtrack good, excellent voice acting, but I agree with Trailbreaker. Killing off almost all the core characters in the first twenty minutes was the downfall of the original series. It probably wouldn't have been so bad if they had gone down fighting and the deaths were spaced out through the movie but that didn't happen. They were just blown out of existance before they could fire a single shot.

And then they replaced them with new characters that most fans couldn't have cared less about because they were still in shock over the Death of Optimus Prime (A lot of Parents wrote angry letters about that one). And who do they replace him with? Rodimus Prime. Couldn't they have come up with a better name? And again Most fans never saw him as leader.

The only redeaming thing about this movie was the introduction of Unicron, who has appeared in several Transformers series pretty much as he did in 1986.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."
    -John Wayne (The Shootist)

Quote Originally Posted by MrX View Post
    They brought him back, but how many times did they kill him is season 3? Twice I think.

I own this on DVD, it has great visuals great artwork the soundtrack good, excellent voice acting, but I agree with Trailbreaker. Killing off almost all the core characters in the first twenty minutes was the downfall of the original series. It probably wouldn't have been so bad if they had gone down fighting and the deaths were spaced out through the movie but that didn't happen. They were just blown out of existance before they could fire a single shot.

And then they replaced them with new characters that most fans couldn't have cared less about because they were still in shock over the Death of Optimus Prime (A lot of Parents wrote angry letters about that one). And who do they replace him with? Rodimus Prime. Couldn't they have come up with a better name? And again Most fans never saw him as leader.

The only redeaming thing about this movie was the introduction of Unicron, who has appeared in several Transformers series pretty much as he did in 1986.
    As I said before, Hasbro knew the show was popular, but didn't realize how popular the individual characters were and what they meant to kids. They even said this on the 25 Anniversary Edition DVD. If they did, they wouldn't have killed off almost all of the original characters in the first place. If they could do it all over again, none of those characters (especially Prime) would've probably never been killed.

I will never understand what all these absolut Transformers Cartoon Fanboys like in the animated movie and hate in the 2007 version. The animated movie was a uninspired marketing device, that for one part tried to cash in on Star Wars and for another part just wanted to sell toys. It has some nice animation and some good voice acting, but thats about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Crainy View Post
    I will never understand what all these absolut Transformers Cartoon Fanboys like in the animated movie and hate in the 2007 version. The animated movie was a uninspired marketing device, that for one part tried to cash in on Star Wars and for another part just wanted to sell toys. It has some nice animation and some good voice acting, but thats about it.

How old are you?

Like the 2007 movie had NOTHING to do with selling toys

Well all three TF mvies animated, 2007 and Revenge are all fantastic. It's sad that 86 was Orson Welles's last movie as he died before the ending for Nimoy replaced his voice.

Who else thought Galvatron was cool and Blur was funny? who is that Micro Machines fast talking guy that does his voice?

Well all three TF mvies animated, 2007 and Revenge are all fantastic. It's sad that 86 was Orson Welles's last movie as he died before the ending for Nimoy replaced his voice.

Who else thought Galvatron was cool and Blur was funny? who is that Micro Machines fast talking guy that does his voice?
    That movie was the last piece Scatman Crothers did for TFs also before he passed.. and that was the reason why they had Jazz drift off into oblivion.. no one else could voice him

I actually liked Springer and Blurr in the movie.. as well as Cyclonus.

( BTW Blurr was voiced by John Moschitta Jr.)

Quote Originally Posted by TIMtationX View Post
    As I said before, Hasbro knew the show was popular, but didn't realize how popular the individual characters were and what they meant to kids. They even said this on the 25 Anniversary Edition DVD. If they did, they wouldn't have killed off almost all of the original characters in the first place. If they could do it all over again, none of those characters (especially Prime) would've probably never been killed.
    Yeah, as they say hinesight is 20/20.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."
    -John Wayne (The Shootist)

Like the 2007 movie had NOTHING to do with selling toys
    Well, it wasnt the main and ONLY reason why the movie was made. Also, it had some original entertaiment, without killing all your favorite cartoon characters off in an blink of an eye in the most brutal way inmaginable.

Well, it wasnt the main and ONLY reason why the movie was made. Also, it had some original entertaiment, without killing all your favorite cartoon characters off in an blink of an eye in the most brutal way inmaginable.

Read what TIMtationX said... they learned their lesson.. somewhat.. because the movie did kill off for sure one extremely popular character..and unconfirmed killed off a second ( Barricade and Jazz).. But they are still making toys for them and they are selling well. Also the 86 movies wasnt ONLY made to start and sell a new line of toys.. it was made for entertainment also... it was 1986 and a cartoon movie from then can not be compared to todays standards especially if it wasnt a Disney one.

Yes it was sad to also heard that Scatman died off with TF the movie being his last role. He's such a damn good actor and voice actor as well.

Well Jazz this wasn't a disney movie like the same year's Great Mouse Detective (Anyone remembers this one?) and adult animated was at it's height in the 80's as this was a great example of being animation for mature audiences. I mean Akira was the defining adult animated movie of the 80's as this one was second.

Sure it wasn't right for Hasbro with Toei/Sunbow/Marvel animation to kill off the beloved character while leaving some remained ones like Bumblebee for example or Grimlock, gotta thank them for that.

Anyone else thinks the creators of "The Matrix" got ideas from this movie with the same Matrix idea of even being a leader with powers and fighting a dark evil thing? they even got the word "Matrix" from this movie. Who else loves that Shaggy himself Casey was Cliffjumper? how they do that that special voice for Soundwave?

Yes it was sad to also heard that Scatman died off with TF the movie being his last role. He's such a damn good actor and voice actor as well.

Well Jazz this wasn't a disney movie like the same year's Great Mouse Detective (Anyone remembers this one?) and adult animated was at it's height in the 80's as this was a great example of being animation for mature audiences. I mean Akira was the defining adult animated movie of the 80's as this one was second.

Sure it wasn't right for Hasbro with Toei/Sunbow/Marvel animation to kill off the beloved character while leaving some remained ones like Bumblebee for example or Grimlock, gotta thank them for that.

Anyone else thinks the creators of "The Matrix" got ideas from this movie with the same Matrix idea of even being a leader with powers and fighting a dark evil thing? they even got the word "Matrix" from this movie. Who else loves that Shaggy himself Casey was Cliffjumper? how they do that that special voice for Soundwave?

I didnt say it was a disney movie.. I was saying if others wanted to compare it to Disney movies at that time....

But it was directed to adults too.. as much of the TF world is actually.. listen to the language.. move kids have no clue what some of those words mean... I read the TF Novels and Comics..and very very adult themed.

Read what TIMtationX said... they learned their lesson.. somewhat.. because the movie did kill off for sure one extremely popular character..and unconfirmed killed off a second ( Barricade and Jazz).. But they are still making toys for them and they are selling well. Also the 86 movies wasnt ONLY made to start and sell a new line of toys.. it was made for entertainment also... it was 1986 and a cartoon movie from then can not be compared to todays standards especially if it wasnt a Disney one.
    In 2007, Jazz was killed for a cinematic effect. In the cartoon movie, most of the real autobots were killed just to be replaced by new toys. Unfortanly, that fact was very sad, and Optimus Prime´s Dead will always be burned into our hearth and brain.

You can say the same damn thing about Star Trek Generations when Kirk died leaving his adventures for Picard to have, i guess it's called killing a beloved hero or making a kid who adored a hero cry.

But Optimus did came back from the dead in seasons 3 and 4 of the original series. I do own the entire series on DVD afterall, i guess that must have made the kids who loved Optimus Prime happy that he was brought back.

Ever seen the original animated GI Joe movie? they nearly killed Duke but at the end it was announced that he lives which made kids happy as well.

Optimus was brought back to live because parents were outraging over the fact that they made the kids cry just for the sake of marketing.

I liked it at the time mainly because it was action packed, and my had some great animation, which my 6 year old mind lapped up back then. However I was shocked by the pretty violent deaths, and the way everyone was offed so quickly and cheaply.

The film however doesn't hold up in this day and age. Especially after the recent live action films. It's inaccessable, it presumes you've watched 2 seasons of the cartoon and are already familiar with the Transformers universe. The music has also dated terribl, and I just can't sit through it in this day and age.

Having said all that I'm glad the movie happened as it lead to some great stories in the UK comic series.