Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you think Paramount is going to give Bay a bigger budget?

Default Do you think Paramount is going to give Bay a bigger budget?

Granted he did a shit load with $150 million, but imagine what he can do with $200 million. This movie had nothing but positive word of mouth...everybody except for the few thousand hardcore transformers fans loved the shit out of it. So the sequel will no doubt make more then the first one.

Or do you think Paramount will just keep it $150 knowing it will make a profit?

How much more robot time would $50 million get us anyways?

Default Re: Do you think Paramount is going to give Bay a bigger budget?

I think he'll have a larger budget as well as much more military support,along with car companies vying to get in on the gig.
    "Autobots, let's go dismantle us some decepticons; So transform and roll out!"
    http://www.myspace.com/raddimus33

i dunno...part of me thinks he's going to only get another $150. I'd like to see $200 so we can more bot time. The studio has NOTHING to loose.

I think another 150 would be good enough, you don't really want to inflate the budget too much, another thing to keep in mind is that, I'm sure most of the money that went into the effects of the first one went into R&D, which means that the base for the effects on the second one is already done.

Bay delivered a monster movie with just 150mil (compared to bigger budget movies which didn't deliever like transformers did, like SPM3 and at world's end) So now imagine the same type of budget without all the guess work by the effect houses involved. I think Bay could deliver the sequel on an even bigger scale with the same type of budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobi View Post
    I think another 150 would be good enough, you don't really want to inflate the budget too much, another thing to keep in mind is that, I'm sure most of the money that went into the effects of the first one went into R&D, which means that the base for the effects on the second one is already done.

Bay delivered a monster movie with just 150mil (compared to bigger budget movies which didn't deliever like transformers did, like SPM3 and at world's end) So now imagine the same type of budget without all the guess work by the effect houses involved. I think Bay could deliver the sequel on an even bigger scale with the same type of budget.
    u'd be silly to say at worlds end didnt look like a 200+ million dollar movie. Spiderman sure didn't but Pirates sure as hell did. and lets hope most of the money went into R&D. Another $50 wouldnt hurt though =P

I'm not saying that it didn't, I'm saying it didn't deliver in the same way as Transformers did, if we didn't know the actual budgets, just by looking at the movies you'd think Transformers was the more expensive to make, and that was what I was referring to. And yes, of course more money wouldn't hurt, but the question is, is it needed?

I'm not saying that it didn't, I'm saying it didn't deliver in the same way as Transformers did, if we didn't know the actual budgets, just by looking at the movies you'd think Transformers was the more expensive to make, and that was what I was referring to. And yes, of course more money wouldn't hurt, but the question is, is it needed?
    i kind of think so...while most hardcore Transformers fas are oh so wrong on a lot of shit they bitch about, they are right about one thing. This movie is about transformers. I realize getting rid of the human aspect would make this movie astronomically expensive, but it could use more transformer on transformer time.

If we're going to look at it as just Transformers fans, then yes, but the movie is trying to reach the biggest demographic possible, not just the hardcore fanbase, that's where the human aspect comes in, if the audience cannot relate to the characters, then it won't fly, no matter how much Transformers time we get on screen, this is one of the reasons I think the first one did so well at the box office, word of mouth. It wasn't just the kick ass effects and action, even when the Transformers were not on screen people had a good time, they laughed at the jokes and liked the characters.

Now the sequel can be different, with the introduction of the story out of the way, more time can be spent on-screen with the Transformers, but on the flip-side they still need to make the relationship between the humans and Transformers remain. So if they need more money for more Transformers screen-time, so be it, it's not my money .

To tell you the truth, with someone like Bay at the helm, I seriously doubt that budget is a problem, especially after the success of the first one, I think Paramount would give him any budget he wanted, there's not a lot of directors that can get away with something like that.

I don't know I don't mind the human aspect,they could cut back a bit more on the next film but you can't get rid of sam.he's as important to the tf as optimus is.

Quote Originally Posted by raddimus View Post
    I don't know I don't mind the human aspect,they could cut back a bit more on the next film but you can't get rid of sam.he's as important to the tf as optimus is.
    nobody is saying get rid of the human aspect...it's there for 3 good reasons.

1.) without them the budget would be ridiculous
    2.) even if they did have the budget to not have them, the average movie goer probably isn't interested in nothing but robots
    3.)the human aspect is interesting enough and makes for good comedy value

i think one of the best scenes in the first movie was the scene where they all had to hide from sam's dad. I know a LOT of people got a kick out of that. That giant robot interaction between many of them is something you never see in films. More of that would only be better.

Thumbs up Re: Do you think Paramount is going to give Bay a bigger budget?

I agree, I was just saying to cut back on the human aspect slightly,Oh yhea I had to post your vid on myspace,bro that shit was too funny,I hope you don't mind.If so I'll remove it,man I wished I had filmed some of my trips.

Senior Member StefsChemicalRomance's Avatar

Yeah i think he did great with $150m. But, in my opinion, could he pull it off again? Yes.

Does he DESERVE more? Yes.

If he was given $150m, Would it be as good? Probably not - as most of us are expecting more, you know?
    "I can change almost anything - But I can't change human nature." -Dr Manhattan/Jon Osterman

Quote Originally Posted by raddimus View Post
    I agree, I was just saying to cut back on the human aspect slightly,Oh yhea I had to post your vid on myspace,bro that shit was too funny,I hope you don't mind.If so I'll remove it,man I wished I had filmed some of my trips.
    haha its fine

I don't know about a whole 50 Million for an increase, but he'll definitely get something.

Anyone know the figures on Spider-Man? I would guess about the same.
    The only thing worse than stupid people are stupid people who bother me...
    Bumblebee1983:
    I'm da bomb.
    xXRavenXx:
    I'm Da Bomb... you can be my igniter though **Humms Light My Fire by The Doors** lol
    Bumblebee1983:
    As for being your igniter.....umm.....okay.
    xXRavenXx:
    **Thrilled with BB Raven sings afternoon delight from Anchorman**

Spider-Man figures ballooned up on the third one alot, I read somewhere they had to shoot for an additional 2-3 months, I heard as bad as over 300 Mil including advertisement.

ya spider-man 3 hit a movie budget of $225mil and with advertisements and promotion it went over $300mil.

Give Michael Bay 200-250 Millions budget

Let him shoot action scenes with the Transformers and let him blow up sh** the way he wants so he's fully satisfied as a director and we as viewers.

And yeah less humans/more trransformers

If Starscream comes along and kills some humans from the first movie it would be just brilliant

Spider-Man figures ballooned up on the third one alot, I read somewhere they had to shoot for an additional 2-3 months, I heard as bad as over 300 Mil including advertisement.
    Any clue on 1, 2, and I am sure 3 was arou 300-325 but high. I even heard as high as 500. (probably too high), but I did hear 500 which is nuts. 1-2 wasn't bad and gave results.

I don't think no matter what budget, that Bay would make the film how he wants too and can. No worries about how much more he can do. I still wanna see a carrier Transform.
    The only thing worse than stupid people are stupid people who bother me...
    Bumblebee1983:
    I'm da bomb.
    xXRavenXx:
    I'm Da Bomb... you can be my igniter though **Humms Light My Fire by The Doors** lol
    Bumblebee1983:
    As for being your igniter.....umm.....okay.
    xXRavenXx:
    **Thrilled with BB Raven sings afternoon delight from Anchorman**

Quote Originally Posted by xXRavenXx View Post
    Any clue on 1, 2, and I am sure 3 was arou 300-325 but high. I even heard as high as 500. (probably too high), but I did hear 500 which is nuts. 1-2 wasn't bad and gave results.

I don't think no matter what budget, that Bay would make the film how he wants too and can. No worries about how much more he can do. I still wanna see a carrier Transform.
    But wouldn't the carrier rust?

*ducks from all the food being thrown at that comment*

I'm a dog chasing cars. I don't know what I'd do if I caught one. I don't have plans. I just do things. I'm not a schemer.

I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you can't savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments.

I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger.

I'm curious Michael Bay made a 45 minute action scene in pearl harbor with loads of explosions and CGI for only $130 mil how did he get more action in Pearl Harbor when he was limited in his product placement and stuff which normally brings the budget down.

The bigger question for me is: will Bay retain final cut? Bay has proven he can work with whatever money they give him, and still come out in the black.

If and when they do throw more $$ at this project, the less chiefs involved the better.*

Is that a stipulation going into all of the movies he does?

*with regards to sequels like Spider-Man 3 having too many shot callers meddling with the product.

slightly off topic though it does pertain.I can't beleive shreck the 3 outdid transformers.theres a conspiracy here,I'm telling you.Oh and I saw avpr last night on the big screen it was pretty good for better than the first.but I think legend was a better movie though,not made as well.there was to much cgi.where avpr had a sense of realism.

Moderator / formerly "Gunrock" The Great's Avatar

Why does he fucking need it? the tech will be cheaper by the time he makes this movie. Only reason I can see for the budget being bigger is if he makes it in imax 3-d which fucking needs to happen

I'm not saying that it didn't, I'm saying it didn't deliver in the same way as Transformers did, if we didn't know the actual budgets, just by looking at the movies you'd think Transformers was the more expensive to make, and that was what I was referring to.
    Who on earth would think that? Pirates was on location in an island chain. To think Transformers cost more shows, I think, a lack of understanding in terms of where movie budgets get spent.

He will have a bigger budget to really do up the spectacle the second time around. They are playing with profits right now, so they will spend 300-something million on making and advertising the next movie, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Cynic View Post
    Who on earth would think that? Pirates was on location in an island chain. To think Transformers cost more shows, I think, a lack of understanding in terms of where movie budgets get spent.

He will have a bigger budget to really do up the spectacle the second time around. They are playing with profits right now, so they will spend 300-something million on making and advertising the next movie, I'm sure.
    I guess I should have been more specific, I was mainly referring to the money spent on special effects.