Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: came back from the dead?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3

    Default came back from the dead?

    ok so i just finished watching transformers 1 and 2 and i caught something
    in transformers 1 when the base in Qatar was attack. Colonel Sharp was in the base. now, when 10-20 mins later in the movie the secretary of defense said that there was no survivors.

    in transformers ROTF the colonel returns as the General Morshower.

    so my question is that did the colonel die in the first movie or not

  2. #2
    Senior Member Trailbreaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    11,120

    Default Re: came back from the dead?

    Yes. It's just that the same actor plays a different character. This is nothing new in movies and television.

  3. #3
    Member DEWY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    67

    Default Re: came back from the dead?

    Quote Originally Posted by dbaseball10 View Post
    ok so i just finished watching transformers 1 and 2 and i caught something
    in transformers 1 when the base in Qatar was attack. Colonel Sharp was in the base. now, when 10-20 mins later in the movie the secretary of defense said that there was no survivors.

    in transformers ROTF the colonel returns as the General Morshower.

    so my question is that did the colonel die in the first movie or not

    OK, 1) In TF1 the Secretary of Defense says "...So far as we know, there were no survivors." Meaning that they not sure if there are any survivors at this point in time as this is only a day after the attack (He says, "At 1900 local time yesterday, SOCCENT Forward Operations Base in Qatar was attacked...") and then as you know, later on in the movie, when the battle with Scorponok goes on in the desert, the secretary of defense acts surprised and happy to hear there are, "Survivors", (Technical officer says "Sir, we're tracking a Special Ops team under fire in Qatar. They say they're survivors of the base attack." Then the Secretary of Defense says, "Survivors?") So if the soldiers survived it would give the story a possiblitity to have other survivors as well.

    2) In the credits of TF1 he is named as the "Soccent Sergeant" and yes in the movie he's is called "Colonel Sharp". And in TF2 he's known as "General Morshower." It might seem a bit confusing, but I like to think that the governmant changed his name from "Sharp" to "Morshower" because he had supposedly died in TF1 and came back with a new secret identity as "General Morshower" as he is the General in charge of the top secret NEST team.

    So I think he is still playing the same character, just given a new secret identity by the government. Because, sometimes movies will take too long if they had to explain every single little detail between sequels, so I like to use my imagination in order to link the characters like this one from TF1 with TF2.
    “Message from Starfleet, Captain”… “Throughout the inanimate vastness of space”… “Angels will rain down like visitors from heaven! Hallelujah!”

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    812

    Default Re: came back from the dead?

    Or maybe his name is just "Sharp Morshower"

  5. #5
    Senior Member Trailbreaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    11,120

    Default Re: came back from the dead?

    Quote Originally Posted by Crainy View Post
    Or maybe his name is just "Sharp Morshower"
    Sharp as a first name? No way.

    They're two completely different characters. Bay just wanted Glenn Morshower back because he's awesome.

    And if you ask me, Glenn seems pretty different in ROTF from TF1. I never saw them as the same guy when I watched them.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    812

    Default Re: came back from the dead?

    I always saw them as the same guy, however, i really never thought about it. But i still think he´s it. Why not? He had contact with the transformers already.

  7. #7
    Member DEWY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    67

    Default Re: came back from the dead?

    Quote Originally Posted by Crainy View Post
    I always saw them as the same guy, however, i really never thought about it. But i still think he´s it. Why not? He had contact with the transformers already.
    Yes, I agree, its the same reason why they made Epps and Captain Lennox part of the NEST team..... because they had previous encounters and experience with the Transformers, as did Morshower/Sharp (Who as I explained previously, IMO, had his named changed by the government) because he had a previous encounter with the Transformers and was positioned as the General Morshower who is now leading the NEST operations.
    “Message from Starfleet, Captain”… “Throughout the inanimate vastness of space”… “Angels will rain down like visitors from heaven! Hallelujah!”

  8. #8
    Senior Member Arcee99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chile
    Posts
    1,238

    Default Re: came back from the dead?

    Quote Originally Posted by DEWY View Post
    Yes, I agree, its the same reason why they made Epps and Captain Lennox part of the NEST team..... because they had previous encounters and experience with the Transformers, as did Morshower/Sharp (Who as I explained previously, IMO, had his named changed by the government) because he had a previous encounter with the Transformers and was positioned as the General Morshower who is now leading the NEST operations.
    Yeah, yeah I agree!!
    Don't expect everyone to always agree with you

  9. #9
    Member DEWY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    67

    Default Re: came back from the dead?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcee99 View Post
    Yeah, yeah I agree!!
    Thanx ARCEE!!!
    “Message from Starfleet, Captain”… “Throughout the inanimate vastness of space”… “Angels will rain down like visitors from heaven! Hallelujah!”

  10. #10
    Senior Member HarryCanyon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Posts
    2,211

    Default Re: came back from the dead?

    Is the Colonel a zombie?

  11. #11
    Senior Member Arcee99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chile
    Posts
    1,238

    Default Re: came back from the dead?

    Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    Is the Colonel a zombie?
    No, I don't think so... That would be kinda weird
    Don't expect everyone to always agree with you

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    491

    Default Re: came back from the dead?

    I believe the Sharp/Morshower characters are two seperate characters. Mike likes Glenn (I can easily see why...he's a really cool guy) and found a way to bring him back in TF2, even to the point of naming a character after him (which in the first movie's credits, they actually spelled Glenn's name wrong...he's listed as Glen Morshower...). Considering Lennox and Epps did not receive name changes, I just find it a little too far fetched to believe Sharp survived and had his name changed, when they did not (IMHO, their XP with the D-cons would have been a lot more valuable then any Sharp could have possibly had, making me question a name change even more, as there seems no valid reason for it).

    I'd of rather seen Sharp survive, though. Dude did his part to stop the D-cons, with his trusty fire axe. Deserved better then to get blown to bits over it :-/

  13. #13
    Member DEWY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    67

    Default Re: came back from the dead?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spruebox View Post
    I believe the Sharp/Morshower characters are two seperate characters. Mike likes Glenn (I can easily see why...he's a really cool guy) and found a way to bring him back in TF2, even to the point of naming a character after him (which in the first movie's credits, they actually spelled Glenn's name wrong...he's listed as Glen Morshower...). Considering Lennox and Epps did not receive name changes, I just find it a little too far fetched to believe Sharp survived and had his name changed, when they did not (IMHO, their XP with the D-cons would have been a lot more valuable then any Sharp could have possibly had, making me question a name change even more, as there seems no valid reason for it).

    I'd of rather seen Sharp survive, though. Dude did his part to stop the D-cons, with his trusty fire axe. Deserved better then to get blown to bits over it :-/
    Sorry man, I see what you are trying to say,but I still stand with what I said before as I'm one of those people who hate movies and sequels that bring back the same actor with a different character. (Its just stupidity IMO)

    So thats fine if thats what you think but IMHO it would still seem logical that he would be the same character because, yes, he did use an axe, but its what he did with it that matters.

    He stopped the decepticons from accessing the Top Secret info and it might seem like a simple part but it effected the whole path of the story because if the decepticons accessed the info at that point, the battle would've been too easy for them to win as Optimus and his crew hadn't arrived on earth yet and Bumblebee hadn't found Sam yet.
    So IMHO Sharp/Morshower played a more important role for the story line of the movie than you think.

    Thats just my opinion on how I see it.
    “Message from Starfleet, Captain”… “Throughout the inanimate vastness of space”… “Angels will rain down like visitors from heaven! Hallelujah!”

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    491

    Default Re: came back from the dead?

    Quote Originally Posted by DEWY View Post
    Sorry man, I see what you are trying to say,but I still stand with what I said before as I'm one of those people who hate movies and sequels that bring back the same actor with a different character. (Its just stupidity IMO)
    I don't have a problem with it. Everyone has a Doppleganger. Why couldn't Sharp have one? :-p When TF2 first came out, I thought it was a bit weird, but now my mind has decided that Sharp probably died and that Morshower looks like Sharp. Hmm...speaking of that, is it possible that Morshower is Sharp's twin and that his name was changed because of what happened for some reason? Just tossing an idea out there Or they could be brothers with a different father.

    And also, going with what you think, why did Sharp receive a name change, but Lennox and Epps did not? You never answered this. I am curious how you dealt with that in your mind

    So thats fine if thats what you think but IMHO it would still seem logical that he would be the same character because, yes, he did use an axe, but its what he did with it that matters.

    He stopped the decepticons from accessing the Top Secret info and it might seem like a simple part but it effected the whole path of the story because if the decepticons accessed the info at that point, the battle would've been too easy for them to win as Optimus and his crew hadn't arrived on earth yet and Bumblebee hadn't found Sam yet.
    So IMHO Sharp/Morshower played a more important role for the story line of the movie than you think.

    Thats just my opinion on how I see it.
    DEWY, I think you might not have understood what I meant with that part of my post. To quote myself:

    I'd of rather seen Sharp survive, though. Dude did his part to stop the D-cons, with his trusty fire axe. Deserved better then to get blown to bits over it :-/
    I wanted to see Sharp live because:

    A)I've been a fan of Glenn for a while now. He's always someone I look forward to when I see him in a movie and it's a shame that Sharp didn't last long in the movie (Mike must have thought the same, since he brought him back in TF2, lol, but Glenn is in at least two TF1 trailers...was watching some on my game this morning).

    B)Sharp didn't use a gun to stop the D-cons: he used an axe. I thought that was pretty cool (the axe is mightier then the gun ). He did his part to stop them and did not deserve to go out that way. I would have rather seen him live in that regard.

    And I think the Sharp character was a hero for that. I did not in any way believe that his role in the story was small. One giant robot, stopped by a guy with a fire axe. Awesome

    So no, DEWY, I don't believe that Sharp's part of the story was unimportant. As for General Morshower, a group like NEST would need a good person to head them, to look out for them. Would have to be a pretty epic person and the General (4 star general might I add) would have to be a pretty important guy in the scheme of things (though why he's never mentioned in that ROTF prequel novel, I will never know...).

    Now that I've gotten that out of the way (this is an interesting thread, since I like Sharp/Morshower so much :-p ), does the Transformers 1 novelization say anything on this matter? I'm just curious =) My nephew might want to know about this when he's older :-p

  15. #15
    Member DEWY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    67

    Default Re: came back from the dead?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spruebox View Post
    I don't have a problem with it. Everyone has a Doppleganger. Why couldn't Sharp have one? :-p When TF2 first came out, I thought it was a bit weird, but now my mind has decided that Sharp probably died and that Morshower looks like Sharp. Hmm...speaking of that, is it possible that Morshower is Sharp's twin and that his name was changed because of what happened for some reason? Just tossing an idea out there Or they could be brothers with a different father.

    And also, going with what you think, why did Sharp receive a name change, but Lennox and Epps did not? You never answered this. I am curious how you dealt with that in your mind

    DEWY, I think you might not have understood what I meant with that part of my post. To quote myself:



    I wanted to see Sharp live because:

    A)I've been a fan of Glenn for a while now. He's always someone I look forward to when I see him in a movie and it's a shame that Sharp didn't last long in the movie (Mike must have thought the same, since he brought him back in TF2, lol, but Glenn is in at least two TF1 trailers...was watching some on my game this morning).

    B)Sharp didn't use a gun to stop the D-cons: he used an axe. I thought that was pretty cool (the axe is mightier then the gun ). He did his part to stop them and did not deserve to go out that way. I would have rather seen him live in that regard.

    And I think the Sharp character was a hero for that. I did not in any way believe that his role in the story was small. One giant robot, stopped by a guy with a fire axe. Awesome

    So no, DEWY, I don't believe that Sharp's part of the story was unimportant. As for General Morshower, a group like NEST would need a good person to head them, to look out for them. Would have to be a pretty epic person and the General (4 star general might I add) would have to be a pretty important guy in the scheme of things (though why he's never mentioned in that ROTF prequel novel, I will never know...).

    Now that I've gotten that out of the way (this is an interesting thread, since I like Sharp/Morshower so much :-p ), does the Transformers 1 novelization say anything on this matter? I'm just curious =) My nephew might want to know about this when he's older :-p
    OK, as I said, thats your opinion, and this is mine! To answer your question on why Epps and Lennox didn't get a name change, it might be possible that Sharp didn't have family members to go back to and due to his bravery he was promoted to a "4 Star General" or whatever rank may be suitable for his position at NEST command. Lennox and Epps are not ranked as High as Sharp/Moreshower so maybe then its not necessary for them to have a secret identity.

    And for all we know, maybe Sharp/Moreshower is still known as Sharp in his personal friendship and family circles but is known as Moreshower at NEST Headquarters.
    Its just a theory and my own opinion. And as I said earlier, I HATE MOVIES AND SEQUELS with the same actors with different characters! IT TOTALLY SUCKS!!!

    Therefore, no matter what I still think Sharp and Moreshower is the same character. I'm not gonna argue about this as its not like as if the story revolves around him. Yes, he does play an important part, but not that important that we have to go into such great detail as to why he would even receive a secret identity or if he died or not. It didn't specify this in the movies and therefore the only thing we can do is speculate about it and make up our own theories for ourselves so that we can enjoy the story in our own individual way. Not everyone will like my opinion and not everyone will like yours but thats how it is.

    If you feel that the story is better for you with Sharp being dead and Moreshower being a new character but still the same actor, thats cool, its your opinion. Great.
    I on the other hand feel otherwise and thats my opinion. Great.

    Don't get me wrong my friend, I'm not saying your opinion/theory is incorrect. All I'm saying is that MY opinion/theory works better for ME to enjoy the storyline of these movies.
    And I'm not trying to convince anyone to belive my theory, (I really don't care). MY theory works for ME and thats all that matters to ME. YOUR theory works for YOU and thats great for YOU.
    “Message from Starfleet, Captain”… “Throughout the inanimate vastness of space”… “Angels will rain down like visitors from heaven! Hallelujah!”

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    491

    Default Re: came back from the dead?

    No worries, DEWY. I do like differing opinions, even if I don't act like I do (though it can be a tad bit hard to read people through their forum posts :-p ). I was genuinely curious how you decided on the name change deal and I do quite like your explanation.

    As for same actor, different characters: that one doesn't bug me (being a Bruce Campbell fan, that generally is all the explanation most people would need as to why :-p ). HOWEVER, I could see why that would bug you, because in some movies (like Transformers), it unnecessarily complicates things (though leaving it open to interpretation is not a bad thing, as it lets each fan come up with their own idea...you came up with yours and I stick with my old boring one ;-) ).

    Question, though DEWY: there is one thing that does annoy me and I'd wager it probably drives you bonkers too: same character, different actors. Does that one drive you nuts too? I hate that and I'm glad most companies don't do that anymore (and if they do, they reboot the series, like Spider-man or Tomb Raider).

    And I would like to end this post with this: I do apologize if I offended you, DEWY. Sometimes I get close-minded and then have to (figuratively) bonk myself in the head to be open-minded again. Truthfully, the one appealing thing about your ideas, going from my last post, is that Sharp did not die out in the desert, because that sucks to do your part to save the world (in an epically awesome way) and then get killed. At least with your idea, that is not the case And who knows, I may think about it more and decide that I do like your idea more. I am a person who, if I feel the need, will change my mind on things.

    Anyways, off to play a level of my MW2 game and then watch an episode of '24'. Laters

    Quick Edit: Almost forgot, something else DEWY: I am a very detail oriented person and notice a lot of small details in things that people miss. That's why I will talk about a small detail like Sharp/Morshower over and over. I like those small details

  17. #17
    Senior Member Arcee99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chile
    Posts
    1,238

    Default Re: came back from the dead?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spruebox View Post
    No worries, DEWY. I do like differing opinions, even if I don't act like I do (though it can be a tad bit hard to read people through their forum posts :-p ). I was genuinely curious how you decided on the name change deal and I do quite like your explanation.

    As for same actor, different characters: that one doesn't bug me (being a Bruce Campbell fan, that generally is all the explanation most people would need as to why :-p ). HOWEVER, I could see why that would bug you, because in some movies (like Transformers), it unnecessarily complicates things (though leaving it open to interpretation is not a bad thing, as it lets each fan come up with their own idea...you came up with yours and I stick with my old boring one ;-) ).

    Question, though DEWY: there is one thing that does annoy me and I'd wager it probably drives you bonkers too: same character, different actors. Does that one drive you nuts too? I hate that and I'm glad most companies don't do that anymore (and if they do, they reboot the series, like Spider-man or Tomb Raider).

    And I would like to end this post with this: I do apologize if I offended you, DEWY. Sometimes I get close-minded and then have to (figuratively) bonk myself in the head to be open-minded again. Truthfully, the one appealing thing about your ideas, going from my last post, is that Sharp did not die out in the desert, because that sucks to do your part to save the world (in an epically awesome way) and then get killed. At least with your idea, that is not the case And who knows, I may think about it more and decide that I do like your idea more. I am a person who, if I feel the need, will change my mind on things.

    Anyways, off to play a level of my MW2 game and then watch an episode of '24'. Laters

    Quick Edit: Almost forgot, something else DEWY: I am a very detail oriented person and notice a lot of small details in things that people miss. That's why I will talk about a small detail like Sharp/Morshower over and over. I like those small details
    1st: this thread has become a conversation between you two, DEWY and Spruebox. LOL laughing while I was reading your discussion :lmao It's too fun to hear you both discussing LMAO
    Then, I agree with you about same character, different actors... Agh it makes me get mad
    Don't expect everyone to always agree with you

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    491

    Default Re: came back from the dead?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcee99 View Post
    1st: this thread has become a conversation between you two, DEWY and Spruebox. LOL laughing while I was reading your discussion :lmao It's too fun to hear you both discussing LMAO
    Then, I agree with you about same character, different actors... Agh it makes me get mad
    Well I'm glad our discussion was entertaining. We aim to please :lmao

  19. #19
    Senior Member Arcee99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chile
    Posts
    1,238

    Default Re: came back from the dead?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spruebox View Post
    Well I'm glad our discussion was entertaining. We aim to please :lmao
    LOL yeah seems like you do :lmao
    Don't expect everyone to always agree with you

  20. #20
    Member DEWY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    67

    Default Re: came back from the dead?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spruebox View Post
    No worries, DEWY. I do like differing opinions, even if I don't act like I do (though it can be a tad bit hard to read people through their forum posts :-p ). I was genuinely curious how you decided on the name change deal and I do quite like your explanation.

    As for same actor, different characters: that one doesn't bug me (being a Bruce Campbell fan, that generally is all the explanation most people would need as to why :-p ). HOWEVER, I could see why that would bug you, because in some movies (like Transformers), it unnecessarily complicates things (though leaving it open to interpretation is not a bad thing, as it lets each fan come up with their own idea...you came up with yours and I stick with my old boring one ;-) ).

    Question, though DEWY: there is one thing that does annoy me and I'd wager it probably drives you bonkers too: same character, different actors. Does that one drive you nuts too? I hate that and I'm glad most companies don't do that anymore (and if they do, they reboot the series, like Spider-man or Tomb Raider).

    And I would like to end this post with this: I do apologize if I offended you, DEWY. Sometimes I get close-minded and then have to (figuratively) bonk myself in the head to be open-minded again. Truthfully, the one appealing thing about your ideas, going from my last post, is that Sharp did not die out in the desert, because that sucks to do your part to save the world (in an epically awesome way) and then get killed. At least with your idea, that is not the case And who knows, I may think about it more and decide that I do like your idea more. I am a person who, if I feel the need, will change my mind on things.

    Anyways, off to play a level of my MW2 game and then watch an episode of '24'. Laters

    Quick Edit: Almost forgot, something else DEWY: I am a very detail oriented person and notice a lot of small details in things that people miss. That's why I will talk about a small detail like Sharp/Morshower over and over. I like those small details
    LOL, No, don't get me wrong! I wasn't affended at all. I re-read my post and I can see that I came across a bit hostile but I asure you that it was not my intention! I do enjoy listening to other peoples opinions, it might give me inspiration to edit or look at my opinions in a different light. Which is why I woulddn't have minded your theory except the fact that, yes, it drives me absolutely bonkers when it the same character and different actor and visa versa! (No offense)!

    And yes, I agree, that of all movies, it really will suck if thats the case with TF which is why I'm slightly worried about the character Rosie Huntington-Whightley is gonna play! I really hope she doesn't play Mikaela's character and I also hope M.B. somehow adds into the story what had happened to the Megan Fox character Mikaela, as I also get very frustrated when a charcter disappears without any explanation:wtf (like what happened to Barricade?).

    So yeah, I apologise if I came across a bit hostile but it was not intended as I still respect your opinion along with anyone elses.
    “Message from Starfleet, Captain”… “Throughout the inanimate vastness of space”… “Angels will rain down like visitors from heaven! Hallelujah!”

  21. #21
    Member DEWY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    67

    Default Re: came back from the dead?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcee99 View Post
    1st: this thread has become a conversation between you two, DEWY and Spruebox. LOL laughing while I was reading your discussion :lmao It's too fun to hear you both discussing LMAO
    Then, I agree with you about same character, different actors... Agh it makes me get mad
    LOL, thanx ARCEE99. Anytime you want entertainment... you'll know where to get it! LOL!
    “Message from Starfleet, Captain”… “Throughout the inanimate vastness of space”… “Angels will rain down like visitors from heaven! Hallelujah!”

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •