Thread: Total Recall... another remake

Default Total Recall... another remake

I've just read that Len Wiseman signed to direct the remake of Total Recall...

What the hell is going on in the minds of Hollywood executives? We are talking about a great movie released in 1990. 1990!!!!

What comes next? Jurassic Park remade? Armageddon remade? Avatar remade? Seriously, this can't go on. All the remake/reboot mayhem is getting insane.

Why no one there understands that good movies to be remade are the ones with "awesome ideas, bad execution"? Not the "awesome movies"!!

Default Re: Total Recall... another remake

I know man, just could have waited 30 years then remake it.

Remakes have been going around since 1920's did you know that? some movies like Scarface, The Thing, The Fly, The Departed, Ben-Hur, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The Ring, King Kong 2005, Maltese Falcon, House of Wax (1953's version was a remake of 1933's Mystery at the Wax Museum) etc. all terrific movies were remakes.

I don't see the point of remaking an Arnold classic? why not redo the logic like you said. Besides Avatar is already the new Total Recall or Inception.

I know we have always had remakes, but they weren't usually "remakes of classic movies made exactly the same except for some new cool FX".

Man on Fire was a remake too as it was a remake of an obscure 1987 movie.

Man on Fire is not exactly a remake. It was a movie Tony Scott wanted to make in 1987, but the studios didn't let him. So when he was rich and powerful enough, he decided to buy the rights of the book and make it (paying nearly everything by himself), and he gave the movie his particular point of view. Both version are VERY different.

And still, 1987s Man on Fire is not a particularly great movie, and of course not a classic. As Total Recall is.

Remaking Total Recall is much closer to remaking Jurassic Park, Jaws, Die Hard or The Rock.

Most agree man, now Halloween was kind of a sacreligious idea to remake since it's an iconic movie but Rob Zombie's version turned out ok. Dawn of the Dead and Night of the Living Dead were sacreligious ideas as well but turned out great but they can't replace the brilliant originals.

Now did you think The Thing and The Fly needed to be remade? and did you know Scarface was a remake?

Do you think Avatar is already the new Total Recall? they are similar you know. Both deal with futuristic workers who feel like dreaming as they enter a dreamscape where they get new IDs, go in new worlds, meet a woman of their dreams and fight against greedy corporations trying to destroy the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    Most agree man, now Halloween was kind of a sacreligious idea to remake since it's an iconic movie but Rob Zombie's version turned out ok. Dawn of the Dead and Night of the Living Dead were sacreligious ideas as well but turned out great but they can't replace the brilliant originals.

Now did you think The Thing and The Fly needed to be remade? and did you know Scarface was a remake?

Do you think Avatar is already the new Total Recall? they are similar you know. Both deal with futuristic workers who feel like dreaming as they enter a dreamscape where they get new IDs, go in new worlds, meet a woman of their dreams and fight against greedy corporations trying to destroy the planet.
    I think Avatar is closer to The Last Samurai than Total Rekall.

What about Inception? do you think that is close to The Matrix as well?

i think ill see inception tonight.

[QUOTE=HarryCanyon;144133]Most agree man, now Halloween was kind of a sacreligious idea to remake since it's an iconic movie but Rob Zombie's version turned out ok. Dawn of the Dead and Night of the Living Dead were sacreligious ideas as well but turned out great but they can't replace the brilliant originals.

QUOTE]

Well, if you like zombie movies, they are good, but like you said, they can't replace the originals.

And Scarface is a remake? i didn't know that

Not even close.

Scarface is a remake, it's based on 1932's movie of the same name. Remakes have been around for years since the 1920's, it's a fact and even Maltese Falcon was a remake of the obscure 1931 movie that predated the more famous 40's Bogart version.

Scarface is a remake, it's based on 1932's movie of the same name. Remakes have been around for years since the 1920's, it's a fact and even Maltese Falcon was a remake of the obscure 1931 movie that predated the more famous 40's Bogart version.
    Actually "remakes" have been around a lot longer than that! Shakespear, for expample, actually only wrote 1 original story, The Tempest. Everything else was his take on an older story, or historical incidents!
    Bot Girl
    ~~Age and treachery beats youth and skill every time!
    ~~You say "Nerd," I say "Intellectual Badass!"!

Some are mainly adaptations and not remakes such as Dracula or Frankenstein movies for example.

I was very sceptic about this but now I like what I'm seeing. Liked the visual style from the teaser. And the poster is cool.

I hope they will surprise us with different interpretations from the Philip K. Dick novel.
    I like the cast team that Len Wiseman managed to gather. Collin Farrell, Kate Beckinsale, Jessica Biel and especially Bryan Cranston (as the bad guy), Bill Nigh and Ethan Hawke.
    The full trailer is coming on Sunday. :borat

Nice!

Check the camera move at 1:05 min. :borat

Senior Member Bot of Badassness's Avatar

Looks very cool, it sort of reminds me of The Island, I-Robot and Minority Report in a way.

But that poster, that just looks like a Source Code rip.

This looks pretty sweet!

Ed Fuego
    "can you ban people who put other members quotes in their sig? if that is not a tell all sign that a person is going to be annoying i don't know what is."
    - thegreat

Well, you're going to have Kate Beckinsale playing the villain. Should be interesting. She's come a long way since Michael Bay's Pearl Harbor.

The three breasted girl is back!

http://movieline.com/2012/08/27/coli...paign=referral

Having labeled the 1990 sci-fi Total Recall “cheesy,” it was only a matter of time before the makers of this summer’s lackluster Colin Farrell-starring remake had the tables turned on them by Paul Verhoeven, the original film’s director.....