Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The Avengers (2012)

Default Re: The Avengers (2012)

Make sure to tune in here in 55 hours (April 11, 6 p.m. PT) for the world premiere of the movie.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=88992

"Can you point to the object that represents the resilient parasite of an idea caught in the temple nature of the subconcious human mind?"

"Can you point to the object that represents the resilient parasite of an idea caught in the temple nature of the subconcious human mind?"

Another review from fan screening:

Obviously I walked in with sky-high expectations. Especially with the reactions the past couple of days, I wasn't sure it could meet them. It completely blew me away.
    The story is a fun one, pretty basic plot structure with perhaps a few unexpected, shall we say, "tweaks". But the movie's heart lies in its characters. It is a true ensemble, in every sense of the word. Every character feels so fleshed out and three dimensional, you won't need to have seen the previous flicks to appreciate it.

Iron Man is Iron Man. He's sassy and snarky and just when you think he's a total dick he does something so selfless and noble. If you had a problem with his performance and arc in Iron Man 2 because he was never "off", he never let the stakes get to him and had a moment of sincerity, you won't have that problem here. RDJ's performance here meshes the fun and the sincere so well, it's great and it's hilarious and it's memorable in all the right ways.

I know some people found Evans' performance in Captain America bland. He was very Superman-esque: stoic, unflappable, heroic. Dare I say, pouty. True to the character but not necessarily what some audiences are looking for. Here, he's allowed to play. His interactions with these characters bring out all the best in him, both the strong noble leader and the fun jokey action hero. His arc in the movie is clear and it pays off in big ways in the film's third act.

Ruffalo's Hulk is fantastic. I'll just be blunt with it. He makes some very interesting decisions performance wise that give the character a very interesting dichotomy between an uneasiness and a total comfort. He's the one who you'd probably think wouldn't fit in a team movie, but the chemistry Ruffalo builds with the rest of the cast makes it seem so... inevitable. Huge crowd pleaser, people who hated the previous Hulk movies will love him here.

Thor is basically stepping in right where his solo movie left off. That character and that performance from Hemsworth was so effortlessly entertaining, such a star making turn. His chemistry with the others is so much fun, his moments with Hulk specifically deliver in big ways and he is never once shown as anything other than a powerhouse. I know that's been a concern

Scarlett Johansson was given nothing to do in Iron Man 2. I'll just come right out and say it. She was handed a character with no personality and one action scene and told to deliver. Well, not here. Black Widow is as integral to the team as the four big names. Her backstory is delved into a bit, and it's not as clean as most superhero's are. Johansson gives a very memorable performance and people who couldn't care less about her previously will probably be singing a different tune.

Can't really say much about Hawkeye and his role in this film without dipping the toes into spoilers. But even though he's not necessarily involved with the team through the whole movie, Renner has you cheering him on as much as the others when he finally is. You won't once question why a guy with a flippin' bow and arrow is so highly regarded by people with such influence and power.

Tom Hiddleston's Loki is a monster. He just is. He goes from pontificating about lowly humanity to snarling and stabbing and killing with such ease. It's very much an extension of his performance from Thor. But he's moved on from the cuddly confused frost giant in Thor. Dude's a bad mother****er.

Samuel L. Jackson is given the unenviable task of playing a character that is a riff on himself. He handles it with aplomb. He creates a character who feels powerful but helpless, a man in charge who ultimately has no say. It's the first time I've seen him truly act in a decade. Welcome back, Sam.

Smulders, Gregg, Skarsgard and Paltrow are all good in supporting roles. They have their moments and they handle them well. But this is an 8-man show. No one's overshadowing the big guns here.

The film is structured wonderfully, it's a bit of a slow start but once it gets going it is breakneck, relentless, nonstop, brutal. The third act is like nothing you've ever seen in a superhero movie. It's the ending to one of the Transformers sequels, if said Transformers sequel had taken the time to build stakes and characters and made said final act feel earned. It's long but it flies by. You'll never want it to end.

Flaws? It's got them. What film doesn't? There are 3 or so scenes set in space early on that are fairly cheesy. It's a bit of a slow-starter, the first 20 or so minutes are mostly build-up and not as well paced as the rest of the film. There were 2 camera angles that felt wonky to me, and a single moment of CGI that felt off.

9.5/10. Brilliant. Can't wait to see it again at midnight on May 4th.

Found a nice TV spot

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."
    -John Wayne (The Shootist)

It looks like even now they are filming another scene for The Avengers. So there will be a scene after the credits and another one in the middle of the credits. Don't leave the theater eariler.

By the way it's been a while since I've read so many positive reviews of a movie. Not only from movie critics, but from regular people too. Can't wait.

And if you wonder how the movie would have looked 60 years ago.....

Thumbs up Re: The Avengers (2012)

Just got back from watching the advance screening. AWESOME!! Theres so much action I couldn't remember them all anymore. I don't remember the last time I've watched any superhero movie with this much action!
    ЩЯДTH ☭f ЯДZOЯ

Quote Originally Posted by Razor
    Just got back from watching the advance screening. AWESOME!! Theres so much action I couldn't remember them all anymore. I don't remember the last time I've watched any superhero movie with this much action!
    Oh yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by TIMtationX View Post
    Oh yeah?
    Yes. And the end credits scene gave away the next villain for the sequel. I don't wanna spoil anything, but heres a clue, his name is T _ _ _ _ _ .
    (Begins with a T and it's a six letter name.)
    ЩЯДTH ☭f ЯДZOЯ

Sounds great, anyone else before seeing the film doing an Avengers marathon at home? i am starting with Captain America, Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2 and Thor to connect them all.

Is there a scene after the credits? I saw the T scene anything else after that??

Quote Originally Posted by chatterbox View Post
    Is there a scene after the credits? I saw the T scene anything else after that??
    No. The "T" scene was THE "end credits" scene. For a lack of a better term to call it that is.
    Well it doesn't really appear at the very end of the credits, but it's sort of part of the ending credits.
    ЩЯДTH ☭f ЯДZOЯ

Senior Member Bot of Badassness's Avatar

Saw it last night, loved it! Loved the story, the characters, the cgi, the music, the comedy, the action, the Hulk! Easily the best movie of the year so far.

Check out how awesome the score can get:

It must be that good for i can't wait, and does Hulk look better this time? cause he looks more realistic from the posters with the details including the hairs on his body and arms. And did you know the original Hulk from the 70's show is back as Hulk's voice?

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    It must be that good for i can't wait, and does Hulk look better this time? cause he looks more realistic from the posters with the details including the hairs on his body and arms. And did you know the original Hulk from the 70's show is back as Hulk's voice?
    Out of the 3 movie Hulks, I like this one the best, he does look good, probably because of the Motion Capture. I don't recall seeing hairs on his body or arms though. The guy from the 70s is voicing Hulk again, yes.

Everybody is saying it, but it is very much true: Hulk steals the show (though mainly it is all in the 20 minute climax).

Quote Originally Posted by Bot of Badassness View Post
    Out of the 3 movie Hulks, I like this one the best, he does look good, probably because of the Motion Capture. I don't recall seeing hairs on his body or arms though. The guy from the 70s is voicing Hulk again, yes.

Everybody is saying it, but it is very much true: Hulk steals the show (though mainly it is all in the 20 minute climax).
    What? Lou Ferrigno is voiceing the Hulk again? AWESOME!

And I have to agree, I like the look of the Hulk this time around (From what I've seen in the Trailers). The last one while Better than the 2003 Hulk I didn't think he had enough Mass.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."
    -John Wayne (The Shootist)

Saw it last night and thought it was very good! Very good action, great sense of humor and great CGI. ILM just rules!
    Iron Man and the Hulk are the big stars of the movie. There's one scene with the Hulk that will become a cult classic scene. The whole theater just laughed their ass off! If you don't laugh at that scene, then you need to get a life and develop a sense of humor!

Quote Originally Posted by frolunda71 View Post
    There's one scene with the Hulk that will become a cult classic scene. The whole theater just laughed their ass off! If you don't laugh at that scene, then you need to get a life and develop a sense of humor!
    Which scene? There are too many good scenes with the Hulk I'm not sure which one you're referring to. There's just too much action in this film it's hard to pick the best scene.

I absolutely LOVED the team work among the heroes. Hulk was truly the center stage though.
    ЩЯДTH ☭f ЯДZOЯ

Banned

i thought it was okay.. not really an Avengers fan tho, i actually preferred Battleship! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    Which scene? There are too many good scenes with the Hulk I'm not sure which one you're referring to. There's just too much action in this film it's hard to pick the best scene.

I absolutely LOVED the team work among the heroes. Hulk was truly the center stage though.
    Is this the Hulk and Thor scene?

One of the best hero movies to date. Batman the dark knight some of the older marvel movies before this are just below this one. In my opinion! Loved it and will see it again, maybe in 3D this time?

I hope they carry the style into Avengers 2

Mind: California. Body: Between US & Europe.

"Fun summer flick, but they made Hulk a comic relief character and I didn't like that." - one of my co-workers who saw the movie with me.

In a way I agree with him, but since I'm not a huge "Marvel universe" fan I didn't really care about the approach towards these characters. I love summer blockbuster films and that's why I saw this one.

I enjoyed it.
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post

Remember this one? Loki: "I am a King and I won't be intimidated by some...(Before he finishes his sentence, Hulk just grabs him and smashes him to the ground like 10 times like if he was a rag doll!)
    I promise, the WHOLE THEATER laughed like for a full minute after that scene! :lmao

shhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by frolunda71 View Post
    Saw it last night and thought it was very good! Very good action, great sense of humor and great CGI. ILM just rules!
    Iron Man and the Hulk are the big stars of the movie. There's one scene with the Hulk that will become a cult classic scene. The whole theater just laughed their ass off! If you don't laugh at that scene, then you need to get a life and develop a sense of humor!
    Agreed completely!

Need to see this one in IMAX. Like right NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by chatterbox View Post
    Is this the Hulk and Thor scene?

One of the best hero movies to date. Batman the dark knight some of the older marvel movies before this are just below this one. In my opinion! Loved it and will see it again, maybe in 3D this time?

I hope they carry the style into Avengers 2
    I love the team work all around.

DC is gonna be rushing towards the drawing board to try and copy this by doing Justice League (hey they did announce one) but it's not gonna work. I watched the Avengers on 3D the first time. It was awesome. Definitely gonna watch it again and but it on DVD/BluRay when they start coming out.
    ЩЯДTH ☭f ЯДZOЯ