Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: S u p e r m a n

Default Re: S u p e r m a n

It was amazing. I loved it. Anyone who thinks that Superman is portrayed as dark and angsty in this movie is dead wrong. He was a hero and a champion of justice. Judging by one funny scene, he has a lot of his old Golden Age edge, too.

Just one of plain blockbusters. Some of action sequences are huge, but that's it.

I really enjoyed it. It wasn't perfect, but what problems I had with it were hugely outweighed by the good things I saw in it. Overall, I want to see it again. And again. And again. And so on. I don't usually shell out the big bucks for the Ultimate Collector's Limited Special Edition: Director's Unrated Extended Cut but if this movie gets one, I may have to make an exception. As a major Superman fan, it left me immensely satisfied. Can't wait for the sequels!

Quote Originally Posted by Horror Sober View Post
    Overall, I want to see it again. And again. And again. And so on.
    You better start, because I just had my second viewing today.

Just saw it today and loved it!

God, I need to see it again, it was incredible!!

Bleeding Cool:
    Report: Man Of Steel Sequel In 2014, Justice League In 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendon Connelly
    When it comes to shared-universe comic book movies – which are, like, so in right now – Warner Bros. are definitely playing catch up. But they do seem to be moving with competitive speed.

According to “knowledgeable people close to the studio,” and quoted by The Wall Street Journal, Warners are looking to fast track a sequel to Man of Steel for release in 2014. That would probably mean they have to get into production in the next six, maybe nine months and skimp on CG postproduction time. And that would be the end of 2014, I’d expect, not the summer.

Furthermore, the nameless, knowledgable ones say that the Justice League movie:

could come out as soon as 2015.

Which is actually what we were expecting a half-dozen set backs ago. I guess box office like Man of Steel‘s can really light a fire.

Films can be turned around this quickly and still turn out well, but I am always disappointed by the studios’ insistance on setting release dates before they even have screenplays, let alone actual films.

If Warner Bros. really want to play Marvel at their own game expect locked-in release dates announced by, or maybe at, San Diego Comic-Con.
    WSJ:
    'Man of Steel' May Give DC Comics More Superpowers
    Quote Originally Posted by BEN FRITZ
    Warner is already in development on a sequel to "Man of Steel" and is expected to fast track that for release as soon as 2014, said knowledgeable people close to the studio. In addition, it has long been developing a "Justice League" team-up movie featuring characters such as the Flash and Wonder Woman that could come out as soon as 2015.
    People close to Warner and the film's production offered slightly different estimates for its final cost, ranging between $225 million and $270 million

I loved this movie. For once, SM is relatable. The non-linear narrative was perfect. I have to see it again.

Damn! Can't wait to see it. It opens here this Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Albershide View Post
    Damn! Can't wait to see it. It opens here this Friday.
    I recommend it. Just got back from it and It was Awesome.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."
    -John Wayne (The Shootist)

AWESOME movie, a nice reboot of a franchise and Zack Snyder has delivered another fantastic comic adaptation like 300 and Watchmen and i liked that Nolan was involved as producer.

Henry was fantastic as Superman and had great acting and nice effects.

Saw it on Friday. The movie has definite problems with the plot and the lack of humor was disturbing, but apart from that I really loved it.
    The beginning at Krypton was awesome. Finally we see more from Superman's home. Henry Cavil was great but the most bad ass character for me was Faora-Ul.
    Zack again made memorable action sequences which will be hard to surpass. They looked really believable. It's very hard to direct something that is all CG. I just had problems with few shots that were too close with too shaky cam. But maybe that's because I saw it in IMAX. I think this movie will look better on regular 2D. The 3D was absolutely absent.
    Can't wait for the sequel.

P.S. I hope there were no people in all those buildings Supeman destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Albershide View Post
    Saw it on Friday. The movie has definite problems with the plot and the lack of humor was disturbing, but apart from that I really loved it.
    The beginning at Krypton was awesome. Finally we see more from Superman's home. Henry Cavil was great but the most bad ass character for me was Faora-Ul.
    Zack again made memorable action sequences which will be hard to surpass. They looked really believable. It's very hard to direct something that is all CG. I just had problems with few shots that were too close with too shaky cam. But maybe that's because I saw it in IMAX. I think this movie will look better on regular 2D. The 3D was absolutely absent.
    Can't wait for the sequel.

P.S. I hope there were no people in all those buildings Supeman destroyed.
    I just saw it again last night. I am OK about the lack of humor. There did seem to be a couple of moments that were funny (like when the truck driver came out of the diner and saw his truck).

Yeah, one thing I didn't care for (in just about any movie for that matter) is when the image should be still while people and just standing & talking but the image is going up and down and side to side.

Both times I saw it was just RealD 3D and the 3D was amazing.

On top of hoping there wasn't anyone in those buildings, I wonder what was the cost of the damage that was done.

Saw it the other night and thought it was okay. The action was fast paced and the movie never let up except for some flashbacks.

The main thing that took me out of the movie were the teenagers laughing at the "dramatic" parts.

Also, the lack of humor. Even though it did have a few funny moments.

I thought Russell Crowe, whoever played Zod and Henry Cavil were all terrific.
    Driller-bot is thirsty.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardkore View Post
    I am OK about the lack of humor.
    A comic book movie about a flying man that can lift oil rigs and has a laser sight is always a good thing to not take itself too seriously. IMHO the humor is an important part of those type of movies.
    Even Nolan's dark Batman trilogy had more humor than this. I'm not talking about TF like humor here, just tiny bits as the truck that you mentioned. Still it's not that big deal.

Mind: California. Body: Somewhere between US & Europe.

"Man of Steel", "Transformers 3" and "The Avengers". Too much carnage in these films? Max Landis thinks so:

- http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...ngers-20130625

In my view as fun as these films are their "city-destroying" sequences are indeed...too much. Sure, when aliens attack like that a lot of people will definitely die but it'll be good for some of the characters in these films to actually acknowledge that. Great example of that is the last "Fast & Furious" movie. When that tank is destroying cars and killing innocent folks on the freeway Vin Diesel screams to his team: "Get their attention away from the people!".

A lot of people on Twitter/Facebook complimented the filmmakers for including that line. One small line that really makes a difference.

Unfortunately you don't hear that line in "Man of Steel", "Transformers 3" and "The Avengers". And I doubt you'll hear it in the upcoming "Pacific Rim".
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

Screen Rant:
    Zack Snyder Talks ‘Man of Steel 2′; Hints at Lex Luthor and Kryptonite in the Future

Source: Moviehole: Zack Snyder
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandy Griffiths
    I hear the sequel has been greenlit, and you’ve already got your villain and setting laid out?

I’m going to be a hundred percent honest with you, I haven’t yet gotten to speak to the studio about all these awesome details (because I’ve been overseas on the junket). So my hope is, when I get home I can sit down with everyone and it’ll be like ‘Okay, so what are we going to do?.. we need to do something…

What are the questions you’re going to have answer next time out?

‘We almost destroyed the world last time, now what!?’

io9:
    Why You Should Never Write Action Scenes For Your Blockbuster Movie

It's the height of summer movie season, which means that action movies are blowing up all over. And that makes this the perfect time to revisit some advice from John Rogers, creator of Leverage and writer of the new webcomic Arcanum. Here, he explains why you should never write an action scene. Ever.

THR:
    Marvel Screenwriter: 'Why Has Destruction Become the Default' in Movies? (Guest Column)
    Zack Stentz, who co-wrote "Thor" and "X-Men: First Class," warns that when hit movies keep pummeling cities (and audiences) from Washington, D.C., to London, "the more destruction you see, the more hollow it feels."

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbreaker View Post
    It was amazing. I loved it. Anyone who thinks that Superman is portrayed as dark and angsty in this movie is dead wrong. He was a hero and a champion of justice. Judging by one funny scene, he has a lot of his old Golden Age edge, too.
    He is the hero he is portayed like in the Golden Age and Superman TAS.

Finally saw it. Loved it. It might be my favorite comic book hero movie yet... have to see it a few more times to really make that decision.

Ed Fuego
    "can you ban people who put other members quotes in their sig? if that is not a tell all sign that a person is going to be annoying i don't know what is."
    - thegreat

Mind: California. Body: Somewhere between US & Europe.

$586 million worldwide so far. Honestly, I'm surprised.

Few weeks before the premiere a lot of people on the web were predicting that it'll probably reach $1 billion worldwide. At the time I thought "Well, that's not exactly a stretch - huge international marketing campaign, higher 3D ticket prices, pretty good trailers, hype all over the place...and the fact that it's freakin' Superman.

So the numbers right now are surprising and not in a good way (especially considering the budget). And I doubt it'll reach $700 million.

I thought it was a fun action movie and personally I was expecting that it'll make a lot more money. Both domestically and internationally.

It's not a flop of course, but I'm sure that the folks at Warner and DC were expecting more.
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

Quote Originally Posted by Bayhem View Post
    $586 million worldwide so far. Honestly, I'm surprised.

Few weeks before the premiere a lot of people on the web were predicting that it'll probably reach $1 billion worldwide. At the time I thought "Well, that's not exactly a stretch - huge international marketing campaign, higher 3D ticket prices, pretty good trailers, hype all over the place...and the fact that it's freakin' Superman.

So the numbers right now are surprising and not in a good way (especially considering the budget). I thought it was a fun action movie and I was expecting that it'll make a lot more money. Both domestically and internationally.

It's not a flop of course, but I'm sure that the folks at Warner and DC were expecting more.
    I was hoping it would do better, but if you look at a movie like Batman Begins, that one only made $372,710,015. Then look at the Dark Knight. If history does repeat, then a second movie starring Lex Luthor as the main big bad might bring in more dough.

Comic-Con 2013: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicole Sperling
    Warner Bros. is about to bring together two of its most iconic heroes: Superman and Batman will unite in a new film, the follow-up to “Man of Steel,” set for release in 2015.

According to two sources with knowledge of the movie, Warner Bros. intends to announce the news at its Comic-Con International panel Saturday morning. Said a Warner Bros. spokesperson, “We don’t comment on rumors regarding these properties.”

“Man of Steel” director Zack Snyder is expected to reunite with screenwriter David S. Goyer and star Henry Cavill for the new film. It’s unlikely Christian Bale will step back into the bat suit, as the actor has indicated publicly that he has moved on from his days as Bruce Wayne.

“Man of Steel” producer and “Dark Knight” trilogy director Christopher Nolan is expected by some to produce the project, but the exact nature of his involvement is unclear.

The move marks the culmination of years of effort on the part of Warner Bros. and DC Comics to bring their superheroes together in a similar fashion to their primary competitor Marvel, which successfully combined its superheroes into a $1.5-billion box-office hit with “The Avengers.”

In the comic world, the two heroes are teaming up in a new series, “Batman/Superman,” by writer Greg Pak and artist Jae Lee.

Superman & Batman Film Set for Comic-Con Reveal
    Zach Snyder will direct the follow-up to his "Man of Steel" in 2015 with a tentative plan for "Flash" and "Justice League" movies to follow in 2016 and 2017, sources confirm to THR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Borys Kit
    After decades of fighting evil solo, Batman and Superman will finally be teaming up on the big screen, multiple sources confirm to The Hollywood Reporter.

Snyder's Man of Steel, which rebooted the Superman franchise, has grossed north of $600 million worldwide since it hit theaters this June.

Batman and Superman have a long history in of teaming up in the comic book universe. Starting in 1954, D.C. published a comic titled Worlds Finest, which featured the two as best pals who joined forces.

The dynamic between the two changed with Frank Miller’s 1986 The Dark Knight mini-series in which the two were on opposite sides of the philosophical and political fence.

Since then, that sort of antagonism has permeated most of the stories of them working together.

The LA Times first reported the news of the Batman & Superman film.

Comic Con 2013: "Man Of Steel 2" Featuring Batman Soars Summer 2015

Think McFly Think Exclusive Fri, August 12, 2011:
    WB Quietly Developing Batman/Superman Movie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Williams
    As recently as last March, Warner Brothers head-kahuna Jeff Robinov told Hero Complex they were getting the ball rolling on Justice League for 2013 and a post-Christopher Nolan Batman movie of some kind with Nolan and his wife Emma Thomas playing a hand as producers, a la their participation on The Man of Steel. Since Zack Snyder's Superman reboot got pushed back from Christmas 2012 to Summer 2013, don't count on seeing Justice League two years from now and no telling how soon we'd see the first Bats flick following Nolan's swan-song The Dark Knight Rises.

Sources tell TMT WB is keen on getting a Justice League movie going and still high on The Flash despite Green Lantern being neither the critical or commercial success they'd hoped for nor was it embraced by fans. But the studio is also quietly developing a Batman/Superman team-up movie.

Similar to Justice League, the Brothers Warner has wanted to get their two biggest superheroes on the same screen together for years. The closest it came to fruition was Batman vs. Superman with Wolfgang Peterson-directing from a script by Andrew Kevin Walker. That fell apart as we all know, but executives loved that script.

In a classic case of covering your ass, what we're hearing is two separate incarnations are being tooled. One version where the World's Greatest Detective is firmly established and helps mentor an up-and-coming, fresh-faced Supes and vice versa. Essentially, they're hoping they can woo Christian Bale back into the cape-and-cowl for a fourth time and in case the Oscar-winner tells them, "No thanks, I'm done!", they'll go for a new actor altogether. Both versions would feature Henry Cavill's Last Son of Krypton.

Are these plans definite? No, as we mentioned earlier WB, by their own admission, is back into the Justice League mind-set in addition to The Flash, another iteration of Batman, a hypothetical The Man of Steel sequel (Of course, that depends on how the first movie does plus any outcome to the Shuster/Siegel court-cases), etc.

A lot of this is due to their non-definitive plans after 2013. Unlike Marvel who has their shit in order so much so they just announced two "mystery" movies for Summer 2014. So God only knows what we'll end up seeing from them after The Man of Steel.

From AICN Aug 08, 2001:
    WORLD'S FINEST - Batman & Superman Film to be Directed By DAS BOOT fella - Wolfgang Petersen!!!

From AICN Aug 12, 2001:
    Casting RUMOR about who would play Superman in the Wolfgang Petersen film WORLD'S FINEST

From AICN Jul 11, 2002:
    MTV.COM Gets Petersen To Spill More BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN Details!!
    From MTV Jul 10 2002:
    'Batman Vs. Superman' Director Hints At What To Expect From Superhero Struggle - Caped Crusader, Man of Steel expected to do battle on big screen in 2004.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan J. Downey
    In what could be the biggest cinematic battle since King Kong wrestled Godzilla in 1962's "Kingukongu tai Gojira," the Caped Crusader will square off against the Man of Steel in "Batman vs. Superman."

"[It's] never happened before," said Wolfgang Petersen, who plans to direct (or is that referee?) the movie. "You had it in some of the comic books, but never on the big screen. They're so different. ... It sets up great material for drama."

Petersen's no stranger to drama, as the German-born director helmed "Air Force One" and "In the Line of Fire." He's now working on a story by "Seven" scribe Andrew Kevin Walker that pits the two iconic heroes against each other during a time of crisis. And though Petersen is reluctant to spill many secrets, he has promised that "Batman vs. Superman" will contain villains, lots of action and absolutely no Robin.

"I cannot tell you what really gets them together. I can say that much of [the conflict] is because of the different philosophies that they represent," the director said. "Superman represents sort of everything clear and bright and noble. He represents our hopes and ideals. Batman, on the other hand, represents the dark and obsessive and vengeful side.

"The plot is structured in a way that these two very different sides basically of the same coin have to clash at some point because they handle situations totally differently. ... For a large portion of the thing they are at each other's throats. But then, of course, because they are both crime fighters, they join forces again and fight evil."

Petersen, who has yet to cast anyone, said he wants serious actors and not action stars to assume the title roles.

"We have a script that really very, very much concentrates on the characters," he said. "It's really material for two great actors."

Though he mentioned Matt Damon in an interview with Variety, Petersen said he only cited the "Bourne Identity" star as an example of what he's talking about — "Someone where we so far did not really think of as a big action hero [who] turned out be a great actor who can also do great action. ... He's one of these kind of guys, but there's a lot of these guys out there."

And a lot of guys, including Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer and George Clooney, have previously portrayed Batman on the big screen. Christopher Reeve, of course, played Superman in four well-known films. Petersen said "Batman vs. Superman" will steer clear of the conventions laid down in each film series, though he admitted some degree of influence from the DC Comics series "World's Finest."

"I love [the Batman and Superman films] very, very much," Petersen said. "Especially in both cases the first two. I saw them over and over again. ... ['Batman vs. Superman'] is part of the lore of the Superman films and the Superman comics and the same with Batman, but it's also different. First of all, the dynamics are different because if they are in one movie together it changes a lot of things and it gives you a new perspective on superheroes. ... You have also the look and feel of Metropolis, the bright golden city, and the feel of Gotham, which is a shadowy, sinister city, in the same movie. This is Superman/Batman of the time after September 11th, also. It takes place in today or tomorrow's world."

"Batman vs. Superman" has long been one of many projects involving the two titans in development at Warner Bros., which owns the rights to all of DC Comics' heroes. The "Superman Lives" project, which had Tim Burton ("Batman"), Nicolas Cage and Kevin Smith ("Clerks") all attached at various times, has long been dormant. But a spokesperson for Darren Aronofsky ("Requiem for a Dream") has confirmed the filmmaker's plans to make "Batman: Year One." There is also a "Catwoman" flick in the works with Ashley Judd in the lead role, and there's talk of a live-action movie based on the "Batman Beyond" cartoon (see ).

Although those movies — as well as other comic-inspired flicks like "Daredevil" (see ) and "The Punisher" (see "Punisher Is Next Comic Hero Headed For Big Screen") — have received a boost in the buzz department thanks to the $400 million box office success of "Spider-Man," Petersen said "Batman vs. Superman" will be very different from Tobey Maguire's record-breaking blockbuster.

" 'Spider-Man' has a very sweet and light touch to it and is very romantic with Kirsten Dunst and Tobey," Petersen said. "Ours will be more dramatic. What 'Spider-Man' did quite good was the swinging Spider-Man through New York. Our thing, with Superman flying, will be an unbelievable, amazing new experience that you've never, ever seen before, because it's a long time ago with the 'Superman' films."

Petersen is eyeing a 2004 release for "Batman vs. Superman."
    From AICN Jul 24, 2002:
    Gigolo Joe as SUPERMAN -- Bullseye as BATMAN!!!

From AICN Aug 12, 2002:
    Why Jude Law Left Warners' BATMAN VS SUPERMAN And Who Replaced Him!

From AICN Apr 08, 2003:
    So what did Alan Horn have to say about THE MATRIX, SUPERMAN, BATMAN and SUPERMAN VS BATMAN'

Bleeding Cool:
    Warner Bros. Announce Zack Snyder And David Goyer Writing Batman-Superman For 2014 Shoot
    It’s Official: Warner Bros. Announce Batman-Superman Movie
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendon Connelly
    Warner Bros. ended their panel with a big surprise, or two. After Tom Cruise and company had shuffled away, out came Zack Snyder to take the chairman’s lectern.

“Some shit is gonna happen up here,” he said. And then it did. Snyder started by telling us that it’s official that there’s going to be another Superman movie… and then bringing out Harry Lennix, the actor from Man of Steel, to tell us that Batman is in it.

Lennix read from The Dark Knight Returns and that sealed it. And there it was, a logo on screen mixing the S shield and Batman logo.

And Hall H lost their minds. People were on their feet and screaming – literally screaming – and the girl next to me was in floods of tears.

Do note that the passage Lennix read was the following one, sugesting that Batman and Superman might not be the best of friends in the new movie:
    I want you to remember, Clark… in all the years to come, in your most private moments, I want you to remember my hand at your throat. I want you to remember the one man who beat you…