Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C l o v e r f i e l d 2

Default C l o v e r f i e l d 2

From Variety Jan. 6, 2009:
    Cloverfield - Simulate mass destruction on an intimate scale

Quote Originally Posted by THOMAS MCLEAN
    Challenge: Simulate widespread destruction on an intimate scale

"Cloverfield" updated the monster movie with CG effects and a DIY sensibility, but when production designer Martin Whist had to design a destroyed apartment for a climactic scene, he found no substitute for old-fashioned demolition.

"To imagine what happens with structures when they get destroyed is very hard, so I thought to actually do it would get us to the finish line quicker," he says. Whist surveyed the location apartment, duplicated it down to the last detail using a foam-core model, and then "essentially crushed it with my hands."

The result was drawn up into a stage built at a Downey, Calif., facility, with Whist adding only a few creative touches for effect, such as the sofa from the apartment above hanging from the collapsed ceiling.

"I don't think that ever came onscreen, but when you're in there, those touches really made you feel like, 'Oh my God, this thing is about ready to go!'" he says.
    From Variety Jan. 30, 2008:
    Paramount sows 'Cloverfield' sequel - Matt Reeves to direct 'Invisible Woman'

Quote Originally Posted by MICHAEL FLEMING
    Matt Reeves is in early talks with Paramount to direct a "Cloverfield" sequel, and he has also made a deal with GreeneStreet Films to direct "The Invisible Woman."

Timing of the projects will depend on how quickly Paramount can complete discussions with Reeves, producer J.J. Abrams and scribe Drew Goddard to scare up another monster tale for the "Cloverfield" sequel. There's a good chance the sequel will be Reeves' next film, in which case he will direct "The Invisible Woman" afterward.

"Woman" is a Hitchcock-style thriller that probes the mind of a former beauty queen who turns to a life of crime to protect her family.

Reeves wrote the script and will produce with Abrams and GreeneStreet's John Penotti, Fisher Stevens and Tim Williams.

"Matt has created a truly original and compelling character and story," said GreeneStreet's Penotti.

GreeneStreet will finance "The Invisible Woman," and GreeneStreet Intl. will sell overseas territories.

With a $25 million budget, a strong concept and cast of unknowns, "Cloverfield" scored a $46 million opening frame, which was a record for a Martin Luther King Jr. holiday weekend. Paramount gave away almost no first-dollar gross, making the film a bargain for the studio.

GreeneStreet recently completed two films: the John Polson-directed "Tenderness," starring Russell Crowe, which was just set for distribution at Lionsgate, and "Bill," directed by Melisa Wallack and Bernie Goldmann, whichwill be distributed by First Look Studios.
    From /film February 22nd, 2008:
    JJ Abrams talks Cloverfield 2

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Sciretta
    I’ve been told that a Cloverfield Sequel is pretty much dead for now (not to say it can’t eventually happen), but JJ Abrams was recently asked about the possibility and here is what he said.

“There is an idea that has come up that… we’re exploring so we’ll see if it’s worth doing then hopefully we’ll get a chance to do it.”

When asked if there will be another monster, Abrams replied:

“Another monster, yeah, another sort of a interesting way in but we have some cool ideas and Drew Goddard, the writer and Matt Reeves the director have sort of cooked something up so we’re . . . you know hopefully that’ll get a chance to happen.”

Note the use of the words “exploring”, “chance” and “hopefully”. Abrams also insinuated that if a sequel were to happen, that it might not employ the same first person handheld video camera point of view.

“At a certain point it’s the kind of thing probably wears out it’s welcome you know, for some people probably while watching the movie, you know what I’m saying?”

From /film July 26th, 2008: Cloverfield 2 Will Not Be a “Literal Sequel”

Quote Originally Posted by J.J. Abrams
    “There’s something we’re playing with now that may or may not happen. There’s an idea we have that plays with… it’s not a literal sequel.“
    From /film:
    JJ Abrams on a Cloverfield Sequel 8/26/08
    “There is a couple ideas that Drew Goddard , the writer, and Matt Reeves have that are pretty fantastic. So we’re playing around with some ideas and obviously if it isn’t something that really excited us and inspires us, we won’t do it. But there are some good ideas out there.”
    When asked if the second film would be shot using the first person video camera style employed by the first film, Abrams replied:
    “It could. I think it’s a valid style,” Abrams continued. “I think as a gimmick, people have already seen it, so if you’re going to do it, you have to do something unique with it.”
    From MTV: ‘Cloverfield’ Director Matt Reeves Talks Sequel Dilemma
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Horowitz
    Ever since “Cloverfield” came out, it’s been taken as a fait accompli that a sequel would be greenlit. So where is it? Catching up with director Matt Reeves, the helmer admits to MTV News in an interview that “the studio of course wants it to happen,” but wanting something to happen and coming up with the right idea are two very different things.

Reeves says that talks have been frequent if sporadic over the last nine months. “At times it’s gone dormant and then its come back up again,” Reeves says of the brainstorming over a sequel.

“There are a couple ideas that have potential but we haven’t quite cracked it yet,” says Reeves who is juggling his orginal screenplay, “The Invisible Woman” and his remake of “Let the Right One In” among his future projects. Trying to pin down just what those “Cloverfield” sequel ideas are though is easier said than done. One thought was to return to the source of the inspiration for the film. “When we were in Japan we thought, wouldn’t it be cool to do it here,” he said.

One things seems certain. Don’t expect a traditional sequel picking up right after the first with the same (still living) characters. Rather the filmmakers behind the hit film have discussed a sequel that “wasn’t necessarily right after that night but had intersections with the original.”

Then there’s the possibility that Reeves might not direct the sequel at all. Muck like Danny Boyle did for “28 Weeks Later,” Reeves said “There was the thought that maybe we’d bring in some young exciting people and we’d produce their take.”

“I don’t know at this point,” Reeves said. “I think if we find something that would be incredibly fun to make and that we would want to watch then that’s what would push it over the top. It’s a weird puzzle.”

From First Showing:
    Abrams Says (Again) That They're Working on Cloverfield 2
    Quote Originally Posted by J.J. Abrams
    "We're working on something right now with that and again, you know, it's early stages."
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Billington
    Our last update on Cloverfield 2 was published last March, and we asked if J.J. Abrams had even made any progress on the sequel? But back then he said "we're actually working on an idea right now" anyway, but I guess it's good to know it's still moving along. Like I said, not much, but Cloverfield fanatics may jump at this opportunity to start discussing the sequel again. And I should point out a mysterious comment (#17) left on our post about the other secret Abrams project mentioning that a VFX company he had worked for had already started bidding on a Cloverfield sequel. Could we see something happen with this soon?
    Mysterious Comment #17
    Quote Originally Posted by anon
    Well, I dont know about this movie but i do have an interesting tidbit since you mentioned the cloverfield sequel: I worked at a VFX studio in Vancouver Canada that is bidding on a few big shows, the cloverfield sequel being one of them, the interesting thing is that the person in charge of the bidding process referred to Battle of Los Angeles as the cloverfield sequel… Could've been a mistake but I don't think it was. Also McG's 20,000 leages will have lost of shots in an island full of cannibals and exploding volcanoes and Clint Eastwood is working on a tsunami movie for his next project.

Default Re: C l o v e r f i e l d 2

I never even saw the first one. I heard it gave people headaches from trying to watch it with the shakey cam.

^ Gave me one, and made me sick- and I'm pretty tough.

Vector Sigma! I hope there isn't a sequel...
    "to punish and enslave"

Drake

It made me SO ill. Same with Quarantine, and I REALLY REALLY liked the story with that one. Too bad the shaky cam put the movie at the bottom of my list.

I don't think JJ Abrams should do Cloverfield 2, especially since he said once Lost was finished, he'd think about doing The Dark Tower, which would be FAR better than a sequel to an already mediocre movie.

Didn't enjoy Cloverfield it was pretty lame in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    It made me SO ill. Same with Quarantine, and I REALLY REALLY liked the story with that one. Too bad the shaky cam put the movie at the bottom of my list.

I don't think JJ Abrams should do Cloverfield 2, especially since he said once Lost was finished, he'd think about doing The Dark Tower, which would be FAR better than a sequel to an already mediocre movie.
    From /film:
    No Dark Tower For J.J. Abrams

From MTV:
    'Let Me In' Is 'Darker' Than 'Twilight,' Director Matt Reeves Says
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Ditzian
    MTV:
    Where are you and J.J. Abrams at with the "Cloverfield" sequel? Is it actually going to happen?

Reeves:

It continues to percolate. There are ideas that come up and they go away and come back and, to be honest, I can't really tell you whether or not, or how exactly, it will happen, and, in fact, it may happen with me in a very differently capacity. I might not even direct it. It really just completely depends on how things come together. I know that there definitely is an intention to do something, and we really want to do something great, and it just comes down to how things develop. Obviously, J.J. is always busy with a million things, and he's got a personal project that he is really crazy about, in addition to a new TV show, and also he just came off of that little movie called "Star Trek," which was amazing. And, actually, [writer] Drew [Goddard], he just did a movie, which is supposed to be just fantastic, "Cabin in the Woods." All of us would obviously want to find a way for him to work on the film. But everyone is doing stuff. We definitely want to do something, and I know J.J. has some ideas for some things he wants to do too in terms of it, so we'll see how it develops. I truly can't tell you anything beyond that, because it is literally constantly evolving, and it may come out in a form that is completely surprising and very, very different.

It needs to be from the military's point of view... it would be like aliens in the new york subway!!!
    "How Come the Decepticons have all the cool shit"

.....Sooo.....I guess I'm the only one here who actually liked Cloverfield.

Banned

Cloverfield was funny as a stage in film (as a course), not worthy watching beyond the "so"-theories and the superb ending.

What would number two look like?

Quote Originally Posted by TIMtationX View Post
    You are not alone. I loved Cloverfield.
    Smokescreen: "You're our only hope Omega." Omega Supreme: "Failure: Impossible" - G1 Episode #41 "The Golden Lagoon"

Quote Originally Posted by TIMtationX View Post
    Not at all Tim, I own the movie. Looking forward to see where they go with it. Maybe answer some of the questions the first wasn't able to address.

Wow, I thought Cloverfield was a popular movie. I guess not, but I love it.
    I don't really understand getting sick from shakey cam.

I liked Cloverfield. I really hope there is a sequel

I hope it too... Cloverfield is one of my favourites...
    Sam Witwicky: He peed on you? Bad Mojo! Bad!
    Ironhide: Bad Mojo! Ugh, my foot's gonna rust...

Drake

Quote Originally Posted by Jammed9000 View Post
    Wow, I thought Cloverfield was a popular movie. I guess not, but I love it.
    I don't really understand getting sick from shakey cam.
    Well, it didn't bomb or anything, and was generally well received. I just happened not to like it due to the shaky cam.

Was the movie idea about the monster? Or the shaky cam? I mean I wonder what would the sequel be like. Perhaps the same incident from a soldier's perspective. Or about another monster / disaster.

I did not like the movie a lot but I was not skipping any scenes while watching.
    This is a tired comment, therefore it is called a sighnature.

From MTV:
    Director Matt Reeves Says A 'Cloverfield' Sequel 'Very Well May Happen'
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Wigler
    On January 18th, 2008, "Cloverfield" wreaked havoc upon the citizens of New York City and theatergoers nationwide — and it left fans of horror and monster movies wanting more. But given the secretive nature that surrounded the J.J. Abrams-produced project, there have been very few words offered on the status of a possible "Cloverfield" sequel.

Over the weekend at South By Southwest, MTV's very own Josh Horowitz had the opportunity to speak with "Cloverfield" director Matt Reeves about the status of a sequel to the 2008 thriller.

"I can tell you nothing, [but] there are these spikes in activity," he said when asked about a second "Cloverfield" movie. "There are things that we keep talking about and things spike up. It very well may happen."

Reeves said that the current core group of "Cloverfield" thinkers consists of himself, Abrams, producer Bryan Burk and screenwriter Drew Goddard, though "there are other people who may get involved as well." Still, the director cautioned fans to remain patient, as it would take some time for "Cloverfield 2" to hit theaters.

"There's a personal project that J.J. is about to do," he said. "J.J. is in the early stages of what he's doing and he's getting consumed by it. The amazing thing about J.J. — when I get into something, I get tunnel vision. He's amazing at focusing but also amazing at multitasking."

Despite Abrams' hectic schedule and Reeves' own hefty workload — he's currently in post-production on "Let Me In," the vampire thriller starring Chloe Moretz and Kodi Smit-McPhee — the director said that "there are constant talks about" pursuing a "Cloverfield" sequel.

Default Re: C l o v e r f i e l d 2 ***RUMORS***

From Fans Share June 23rd, 2011:

Cloverfield 2 set for 2014
    After making over $46 million in the US on its opening weekend and grossing an impressive $168 million worldwide, it was clear that a Cloverfield sequel would be made. The sequel is, as of yet, untitled but the script has been written and the project is in active development, with a release expected in 2014.
    Production company, Bad Robot have taken the film on and it is believed that Matt Reeves will once again direct the film. It is also expected that J. J. Abrams will return to produce the sequel but a cast for the movie has yet to be assembled.

The first Cloverfield movie centred around a monster attack in New York, which was filmed from the point of view of a group of friends. J. J. Abrams latest movie Super 8 is currently being show in cinemas in the US. It is due to be released in the UK on August 5.

From Fans Share September 13th, 2011:

Lizzy Caplan to star in Cloverfield 2?
    It has been suggested that Lizzy Caplan is being lined up to once again star in the sequel to the hit 2008 movie Cloverfield, once it gets the green light. It was uncertain whether she would appear in Cloverfield 2 after her character was dragged off and never seen again in Cloverfield.
    However, it has been claimed that, since her character was not officially killed off, she would be set to appear in Cloverfield 2. It is not yet known how the story to the sequel is going to play out, so it is unclear how her character would return for the movie.

One thing is for certain though and that is the fact that Cloverfield 2 looks increasingly more likely to be made, especially since the movies original star seems interested in making a return. The bad news is that there is no idea yet when the movie will get the green light, so it looks like a long wait for Cloverfield 2.

I dont really like the idea of a Cloverfield 2 if you'd ask me..
    When i Transform i release rockets with nanobot-viruses that destroys you from within... the fuel inside you will turn into acid, metal will melt instantly...
    I'm a decepticon and my name is _____ All Hail Megatron!

Never even saw the 1st one
    "I BELIEVE WHATEVER DOESN'T KILL YOU, SIMPLY MAKES YOU.....STRANGER."

From Movie Viral January 23, 2012:
    Loud Noises Possible Viral For “Godzilla” or “Cloverfield 2″?
    Quote Originally Posted by Caleb Hamilton
    Sometimes strange videos hit the web and create an uproar. We’ve seen things from UFO’s hovering over football games to a man sawing a parking meter in half. The latest strange video making the rounds compiles footage from around the world in which a loud, mechanical sound is heard. Could this be viral for Legendary Pictures’ Godzilla reboot, the rumored sequel to Cloverfield or something else entirely? Check out the video after the break.

If this were viral for a film, I’d guess it would be Godzilla. Godzilla’s roar is very mechanical, much like the sounds in the video. It could also very well be viral for Cloverfield 2, but unlikely since J.J. Abrams has just started production on Star Trek 2. There is also the chance that this could be a very elaborate hoax, possibly trying to scare those who believe the world will be ending this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    I'm going to have to say Godzilla for this one. It especially sounds like it in the Russian video.

But yeah, thanks for sharing. I wasn't planning on sleeping tonight anyways.