• Blu-Ray

1,258,792 100.00%
  • Both

10 0.00%
  • None

7 0.00%
  • I'll sit this one out

3 0.00%
  • Don't care/don't know, I still have my VHS tapes.

2 0.00%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Blu-Ray or HD DVD

Default Re: Blu-Ray or HD DVD

lol damn...110 to 14

I voted for Blu Ray, not necessarily because it is the better product RIGHT NOW, but for what it has the potential to be. HD is step above DVD, while I believe Blu Ray has the potential to be at least a step above HD-DVD if not two.

The PS3 also gave me the ability to test the HDM waters with what I considered a lower risk method. So far my PS3 has been flawless.

I anxiously await the day I can by Transformers w/ uncompressed audio on Blu Ray !

Quote Originally Posted by FXSTBI View Post
    Blu ray, if your going to spend the money on a hi-def player, you want the best picture and audio period.

How can HD DVD say "look and sound of perfect" when they can't even include the best audio or video codecs?

I'm sorry, but anyone who bought into HD DVD thinking it was the best, didn't do their homework, or just bought it because it was cheap.
    Both formats support the same video and audio codecs.

Player support for TrueHD is optional for Blu-ray but mandatory on HD DVD.

Ethernet ports for downloads and web enabled content are optional for Blu-ray but mandatory on HD DVD.

PiP is mandatory on Blu-ray profile 1.1 players, but not available on Blu-ray profile 1.0 players. PiP is mandatory on all HD DVD players.

I have owned several players from both formats as well as the PS3.
    I can say with absolute certainty that Blu-ray is superior to hd dvd for player function in every single comparison.
    Blu-ray has the absolute best looking movies and more of them by far.
    Blu-ray has far more lossless and uncompresssed audio.
    Blu-ray has the best studio support and will likely have Warner as an exclusive studio real soon.

Anyone who says they have tried both and they are the same is IMO a liar, or has such a small display with a total crap audio set up, that there opinion means squat.

Did I mention that all hd dvd players are a functioning nightmare?

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Both formats support the same video and audio codecs.

Player support for TrueHD is optional for Blu-ray but mandatory on HD DVD.

Ethernet ports for downloads and web enabled content are optional for Blu-ray but mandatory on HD DVD.

PiP is mandatory on Blu-ray profile 1.1 players, but not available on Blu-ray profile 1.0 players. PiP is mandatory on all HD DVD players.
    Decoding of 2 channel TrueHD is mandatory on HD DVD players, nothing more...which is hardly worth even mentioning. If the ability to decode multi-channel TrueHD AND OUTPUT IT was mandatory, you'd have a talking point.

Nobody with an HD DVD add-on for the 360 is capable of listening to any of the lossless audio tracks on HD DVD.

Blu-ray also has three times as many lossless audio tracks as HD DVD has, so that mandatory 2-channel decoding has not done much good has it? Perhaps bandwidth is a factor there as HD DVD only has 30.09 Mbps for A/V whereas Blu-ray has 48.00 Mbps.

As for players, if the goal is mass market adoption which would mean over 100,000,000 players then I'm sure the 400,000 players on the market without PIP abilities are in the hands of early adopters who knew full well what they were getting into, as early adopters do. My first DVD player didn't support dts audio, but by the time I had a 5.1 system I was on my second player which did support it.

To anyone who has done their research it should be obvious that Blu-ray is the way to go, if not right this second, definitely for the future. I stopped buying regular DVDs quite a while back and only buy Blu-rays now.

I voted Blu-ray. HD-DVD is the poor man's high def. If you want 2nd rate Picture and Sound quality go HD-DUD. If you want the best Picture Quality and Sound there is to offer the go Blu-ray. The price of Blu-ray players versus HD-DUD are narrowing. The movies cost the same.

Sorry, but I'd much rather go with a format that has future potential for improvements unlike HD-DuD which is stuck on a 30GB disc hoping for a tripple or Quad layer 45-50Gb disc is retarded. Those discs would cost more and be much harder to manufacture. Not to mention be more likely to make bad discs. On the other hand you have Blu-ray devloping a 100GB disc.

I don't want 2nd best and I want something that will last and offer more capacity for improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by GPT View Post
    Anyone who says they have tried both and they are the same is IMO a liar, or has such a small display with a total crap audio set up, that there opinion means squat.
    WOW GPT that's a pretty loaded statement.

Here, let me list out my gear and see if it measures up for you.

Projector: JVC RS1 (ISF'd)

Screen: Stewart Ultrmatte 150 92" Dia. [16x9]

Preamp: Halcro SSP80 with new 7.1 MPCM over HDMI upgrade

AMP: Theta Dreadnaught II 5x225watts

Speakers: (L&R) Oskar Kithara's - full range, (C) Meadowlark Swan, (Surr.) Meadowlark Owls, (Sub) MJ Acoustics Ref I

Players: Toshiba A20 and Sony Ps3

There is no difference in PQ or AQ (when comparing lossless) between the two formats.

Now Blu ray has far more block busters with higher production values released. So that can skew perception. But tech wise, so far I'm not seeing a difference.

Guess that makes me a liar.

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    Decoding of 2 channel TrueHD is mandatory on HD DVD players, nothing more...which is hardly worth even mentioning. If the ability to decode multi-channel TrueHD AND OUTPUT IT was mandatory, you'd have a talking point.

Nobody with an HD DVD add-on for the 360 is capable of listening to any of the lossless audio tracks on HD DVD.

Blu-ray also has three times as many lossless audio tracks as HD DVD has, so that mandatory 2-channel decoding has not done much good has it? Perhaps bandwidth is a factor there as HD DVD only has 30.09 Mbps for A/V whereas Blu-ray has 48.00 Mbps.

As for players, if the goal is mass market adoption which would mean over 100,000,000 players then I'm sure the 400,000 players on the market without PIP abilities are in the hands of early adopters who knew full well what they were getting into, as early adopters do. My first DVD player didn't support dts audio, but by the time I had a 5.1 system I was on my second player which did support it.
    Well good news then. Every stand alone HD DVD player supports TrueHD 5.1 (the entry level A2 and A3 can't ouput it, the rest of the models can). What percent of Blu-ray models support TrueHD 5.1 and its output?

Speaking of which, are there any Blu-ray players that support DD+? I ask because Transformers won for best Audio Quality at High Def 2.0 with it's DD+ 1.5 mbps soundtrack. Can you imagine that it beat all of the Blu-ray lossless PCM titles at an award event where every Platinum sponsor is a Blu-ray exclusive company? It seems the company you work for is one of those Platinum sponsors as well. Is that correct?

As for all the folks who bought (and are still buying) the Blu-ray stand alones, that would be an interesting survey.

1. Do you realize that your player is based on an "interim profile" that is now considered obsolete?

2. Do you realize your "interim profile" player can't access the new features coming out in various Blu-ray titles starting in January?

3. Do you know your player manufacturers policy for continuing to provide your "interim profile" player with software updates to fix playback problems that may result from BD+ or implementation of new features on titles?
    Last edited by Ranger; 12-12-2007 at 04:45 PM.

1. Do you realize that your player is based on an "interim profile" that is now considered obsolete?
    "Sir Winston, you are drunk!"

"Yes madam, I am and you are ugly. But I'll be sober in the morning."

Quote Originally Posted by Grubert View Post

hahaha

Grubert that was a nice piece of levity there.

Well good news then. Every stand alone HD DVD player supports TrueHD 5.1 (the entry level A2 and A3 can't ouput it, the rest of the models can). What percent of Blu-ray models support TrueHD 5.1 and its output?

2. Do you realize your "interim profile" player can't access the new features coming out in various Blu-ray titles starting in January?

3. Do you know your player manufacturers policy for continuing to provide your "interim profile" player with software updates to fix playback problems that may result from BD+ or implementation of new features on titles?

You're full of total bullshit, did you know that?
    You don't even know what HD DVD players do TrueHD and what don't and you certainly don't seem to know which players can and cannot cannot support TrueHD.
    You also seem to feel that a PCM track on a drama might best a rambunctious LFE-heavy, surround-busy audio track like Transformers in the eyes of a BD fan, which is just totally misleading. You also fail to mention that those peopel voting have probably never heard the audio on any of Fox's BD's at voting time either. How convenient for the 2.0 conference! So what you're suggesting is that based on the 2.0 awards we should have PQ encodes done higher than HD DVD is capable of with DD+ tracks done by the same team that did TF?
    Yeah that will work. Fanboy much? You're a FUD-ster buddy that's the long and the short of it. Oh and those profile 1.1 discs? THe only thing you won't be able to do is watch the PIP over the movie - you will however be able to watch the PIP as a separate feature. Big bummer huh? (War was demonstrated on a DMP-BD10 a few weeks ago, it's a 1.1 title, the player is 1.0)

Oh and who I work for has nothing to do with anything, so drop the cute act.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis M View Post
    WOW GPT that's a pretty loaded statement.

Here, let me list out my gear and see if it measures up for you.

Projector: JVC RS1 (ISF'd)

Screen: Stewart Ultrmatte 150 92" Dia. [16x9]

Preamp: Halcro SSP80 with new 7.1 MPCM over HDMI upgrade

AMP: Theta Dreadnaught II 5x225watts

Speakers: (L&R) Oskar Kithara's - full range, (C) Meadowlark Swan, (Surr.) Meadowlark Owls, (Sub) MJ Acoustics Ref I

Players: Toshiba A20 and Sony Ps3

There is no difference in PQ or AQ (when comparing lossless) between the two formats.

Now Blu ray has far more block busters with higher production values released. So that can skew perception. But tech wise, so far I'm not seeing a difference.

Guess that makes me a liar.

Dennis
    Perhaps - seems that most people with screens your size do notice a difference in PQ when comparing discs that have different encodes, like Nature's Journey for example.

Almost all like titles have the same encode so a comparison is meaningless.

For those that were different, like Flags of our Fathers and Nature's Journey, the Blu-ray gets the edge consistently in the details. Probably why Paramount had to get bought because they were about to start using high bitrate AVC on Blu and PCM but DD+ on TF and if anyone thinks TF had come out on Blu with PCM nd HD DVD with DD+ and still received that HDM 2.0 award for audio, they're kidding themselves.

Perhaps - seems that most people with screens your size do notice a difference in PQ when comparing discs that have different encodes, like Nature's Journey for example.

Almost all like titles have the same encode so a comparison is meaningless.

For those that were different, like Flags of our Fathers and Nature's Journey, the Blu-ray gets the edge consistently in the details. Probably why Paramount had to get bought because they were about to start using high bitrate AVC on Blu and PCM but DD+ on TF and if anyone thinks TF had come out on Blu with PCM nd HD DVD with DD+ and still received that HDM 2.0 award for audio, they're kidding themselves.
    In terms of PQ, I've seen examples that swing to either HD or Blu. I think what plays a larger role in how good a title looks is the skill of the compressionist and the condition of the HD Master.
    Have I compared the VC1 and AVC encodes of Flags of Our Fathers? Yes
    Did I see a difference? When I walked up to the screen Yes. Was not appreciable at my regular viewing distance.
    I'll let the guy's with 140" screens chime in.

I completely agree, comparing same encodes on both formats is a waste of time. They are the same.

About Paramount being bought, well... can't answer that. But there are all kinds of business reasons why that happened that are not related to tech specs.

But there may be a tech reason why Paramount choose VC1 over AVC. When I was a presentation last month a speaker from Rocket mentioned something very interesting. Rocket is a HD publishing house up here. They've done work on some of the discs already out in the wild. He stated that both codecs can deliver the same quality, and mpeg2 for that matter. But that VC1 was more flexible and substantially faster. He stated that it takes 6 to 7 times longer to encode with AVC. Maybe that played a role in Paramounts decision.

Edit: Most of the Paramount encodes on HD DVD are AVC so that could not have played much of a role.

Just because someone has a different opinion to yours does not make them a liar.

Things are not black and white. There are far to many variables in play to start throwing out absolutist statements.

I can appreciate people wanting to support their chosen format. But not when we start to shoot each other down.
    Personally I could care less which format wins. I am not going to get caught up in a fight between corporations over future HDM royalties. For me it's about the movies and both formats deliver a great movie experience.

I've said it before, I don't see Toshiba or Sony cutting me a dividend cheque for support of their format. So at the end of the day does it really matter which format wins?
    Last edited by Dennis M; 12-13-2007 at 02:38 PM.

Nice one Grubert. So are those profile 1.0 players drunk or ugly? Or is it the folks buying them who will wake up with the hangover when they realize?

Though it's completely unrelated, I've always enjoyed this particular Winston quote.

"Winston, if I were your wife, I'd put poison in your tea."

"Lady Astor, if I was your husband, I'd drink it."

You're full of total bullshit, did you know that?
    You don't even know what HD DVD players do TrueHD and what don't and you certainly don't seem to know which players can and cannot cannot support TrueHD.
    Ok, so point out where I'm wrong.

You also seem to feel that a PCM track on a drama might best a rambunctious LFE-heavy, surround-busy audio track like Transformers in the eyes of a BD fan, which is just totally misleading. You also fail to mention that those peopel voting have probably never heard the audio on any of Fox's BD's at voting time either. How convenient for the 2.0 conference! So what you're suggesting is that based on the 2.0 awards we should have PQ encodes done higher than HD DVD is capable of with DD+ tracks done by the same team that did TF?
    I know, it's upsetting. An event sponsored by Blu-ray exclusive CEs and studios, and the winner for best audio is Transformers on HD DVD with a DD+ 1.5mbps track. Why don't we just say that everyone voting was deaf, or maybe Grubert had it right, they were drunk.

Yeah that will work. Fanboy much? You're a FUD-ster buddy that's the long and the short of it. Oh and those profile 1.1 discs? THe only thing you won't be able to do is watch the PIP over the movie - you will however be able to watch the PIP as a separate feature. Big bummer huh? (War was demonstrated on a DMP-BD10 a few weeks ago, it's a 1.1 title, the player is 1.0)

Oh and who I work for has nothing to do with anything, so drop the cute act.
    Well that's nice that you can at least watch the PiP as a separate feature. Is that only on the DMP-BD10, or are there any other 1.0 players that can do this? How useful will that be with a title like 300 where the PiP can be popped up to compare the finished product against the blue screen version?

If you work for a company that stands to benefit financially from the success of Blu-ray, that seems very relevant.
    Last edited by Ranger; 12-13-2007 at 11:44 PM.

Ok, so point out where I'm wrong.

I know, it's upsetting. An event sponsored by Blu-ray exclusive CEs and studios, and the winner for best audio is Transformers on HD DVD with a DD+ 1.5mbps track. Why don't we just say that everyone voting was deaf, or maybe Grubert had it right, they were drunk.

Well that's nice that you can at least watch the PiP as a separate feature. Is that only on the DMP-BD10, or are there any other 1.0 players that can do this? How useful will that be with a title like 300 where the PiP can be popped up to compare the finished product against the blue screen version?

If you work for a company that stands to benefit financially from the success of Blu-ray, that seems very relevant.
    It would only be relevant to someone trying to be an asshole.
    My salary doesn't depend on the success of Blu-ray and neither does Matsushita as a whole. Blu-ray is small pittance compared to how many phones, TV's, microwaves, etc., Panasonic sells. AVC encodes will also work on HD DVD and Panasonic's PHL factory in Torrence, California runs off a hundred times more DVD's than they do Blu-ray's and could easily run off HD DVD's as well. So no, it's not relevant, not in the slightest.

As for Blu-ray players, 99% of them can output TrueHD losslessly, only about 60% of HD DVD players can.

As for the HD 2.0 conference, you're suggesting that the awards and panelists should have been bought out by the companies that were sponsoring the event? Sorry, shit like that doesn't happen in Blu-land, you're thinking of the HD DVD Propaganda Group and how they have to pay a studio $150 million in incentives to come on board exclusively for 18 months.

You're presented with certain facts like the dts-MA issue and how separate movies are encoded and you come back with the drunk and/or deaf comment. Way to avoid the issue and use misdirection, you've been learning from rdjam haven't you?

As for Blu-ray players, 99% of them can output TrueHD losslessly, only about 60% of HD DVD players can.
    Ummmm, dobyblue every HD DVD player can decode TrueHD 5.1 over HDMI.
    Were did you get this little piece of info from?

I think both you and Ranger need to chill and just enjoy your format of choice.

It would only be relevant to someone trying to be an asshole.
    My salary doesn't depend on the success of Blu-ray and neither does Matsushita as a whole. Blu-ray is small pittance compared to how many phones, TV's, microwaves, etc., Panasonic sells. AVC encodes will also work on HD DVD and Panasonic's PHL factory in Torrence, California runs off a hundred times more DVD's than they do Blu-ray's and could easily run off HD DVD's as well. So no, it's not relevant, not in the slightest.
    Now I'm confused. This seems to be a Howard Stringer style statement about how the success of Blu-ray doesn't really matter that much to Sony, only this time applied to Panasonic/Matsushita. I thought Blu-ray was very important to Panasonic/Matsushita. Doesn't your company have big investments in this market?

High-Def FAQ: Blu-ray and HD DVD Audio Explained

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/1064

HD DVD
    Dolby TrueHD
    What it is: Once decoded, the lossless Dolby TrueHD format is bit-for-bit identical to the studio master (at either 16-bits or 24-bits, at the discretion of the studio).
    Level of support: Support for TrueHD up to at least 2 channels is mandatory on all HD DVD players, but the majority will support it all the way to 5.1. Because there are rare cases of disc players that limit TrueHD to 2 channels (such as the LG model BH100), discs with TrueHD tracks must also contain a Dolby Digital Plus track for 5.1 compatibility.
    Examples of discs that use it: '300', 'Superman Returns'.
    How to get it:
    • Toslink or Coaxial SPDIF - SPDIF cannot transmit TrueHD in full quality. When using this connection method, the player will decode the TrueHD and then transcode it to either standard Dolby Digital AC-3 or possibly DTS (depending on player model).
    • HDMI - Almost all HD DVD players decode the TrueHD track internally to PCM for transmission over HDMI. Some may transmit the TrueHD bitstream to a receiver instead (HDMI 1.3 required).
    • Multi-channel analog - The player will decode the TrueHD track and convert it to analog.
    I did make one mistake on this as DennisM pointed out. It seems that even the entry level HD-A2 and HD-A3 can output TrueHD 5.1 as lossless PCM over HDMI.

Here's the section on Blu-ray support of TrueHD. It doesn't seem like 99% to me. Maybe you can clarify.

Blu-ray
    Dolby TrueHD
    What it is: Dolby TrueHD is a "lossless" compression codec. Although it is compressed to take up less disc space than a PCM track, once decoded it is bit-for-bit identical to the studio master (at either 16-bit or 24-bit resolution, at the discretion of the studio). It may help to think of it like a ZIP file that holds a PCM track. Once you unZIP the file, you get a 100% identical copy of the original PCM, without compromising any sound quality.
    Level of support: TrueHD is an optional format on Blu-ray. And since TrueHD is not built in a core+extension configuration, Blu-ray discs that contain a TrueHD track are also required to contain a standard Dolby Digital AC-3 track for compatibility with players that don't support TrueHD.
    Examples of discs that use it: 'Ghost Rider', 'The Fifth Element' (Remastered).
    How to get it:
    • Toslink or Coaxial SPDIF - SPDIF cannot carry a TrueHD signal. If using this connection type, the player will automatically revert to playing back the standard Dolby Digital AC-3 track instead.
    • HDMI - If the player does not support TrueHD, it will revert to the standard Dolby Digital track. Some players may decode the TrueHD to PCM and transmit it over any version of HDMI. Other players will instead transmit the TrueHD bitstream to a receiver for decoding (HDMI 1.3 required).
    • Multi-channel analog - Either the Blu-ray player will decode the standard Dolby Digital track, or (on some models) will decode the TrueHD and convert it to analog.

As for the HD 2.0 conference, you're suggesting that the awards and panelists should have been bought out by the companies that were sponsoring the event? Sorry, shit like that doesn't happen in Blu-land, you're thinking of the HD DVD Propaganda Group and how they have to pay a studio $150 million in incentives to come on board exclusively for 18 months.
    Ok, the BDA is pure and honest. They don't do anything underhanded or deceptive. They don't sell customers on Blu-ray 2.0 features with in store looped video demos and then collect their cash on a profile 1.0 player that can't support those features. They are as honest and trustworthy as the local parish priest.

You're presented with certain facts like the dts-MA issue and how separate movies are encoded and you come back with the drunk and/or deaf comment. Way to avoid the issue and use misdirection, you've been learning from rdjam haven't you?
    I didn't see you explicitly mention dts-MA. Here's the thing, we've already lost pretty much everybody who may have been reading this. Do we want to dive deeper on this subject?

You never answered my direct question. Is there any profile 1.0 player besides the DMP-BD10 that can play the PiP content on new discs as a separate feature?

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger
    Here's the thing, we've already lost pretty much everybody who may have been reading this. Do we want to dive deeper on this subject?
    Aw, c'mon! What else am I going to do on my lunch break?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny LaPhlegm View Post
    Aw, c'mon! What else am I going to do on my lunch break?

Wow! There's someone still reading this crap?

Blu.

Nice one Grubert. So are those profile 1.0 players drunk or ugly? Or is it the folks buying them who will wake up with the hangover when they realize?
    The players might be 'ugly.' The format itself was 'drunk' and it suddenly sobered up yesterday when the PS3 got 1.1 support.

Though it's completely unrelated, I've always enjoyed this particular Winston quote.

"Winston, if I were your wife, I'd put poison in your tea."

"Lady Astor, if I was your husband, I'd drink it."
    Excellent.

The players might be 'ugly.' The format itself was 'drunk' and it suddenly sobered up yesterday when the PS3 got 1.1 support.

Excellent.
    Let me know when you start enjoying those 1.1 features. Better yet, let me know when you've got profile 2.0. This whole Internet thing is a real blast.

HD DVD all the way!