• Blu-Ray

1,258,792 100.00%
  • Both

10 0.00%
  • None

7 0.00%
  • I'll sit this one out

3 0.00%
  • Don't care/don't know, I still have my VHS tapes.

2 0.00%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Blu-Ray or HD DVD

Default Re: Blu-Ray or HD DVD

Voted Blu.
    Future proof.

Blu.

End of discussion.

Hey Warner, let's END this thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Fiddle-dee-dee View Post
    I think Blu-ray's the only format that would allow an entire Lord of the Rings movie to be stored on one 50GB disk with artifact-free video and lossless audio. To achieve the same quality the movie would need to be spread across two 30GB HD DVD's.

I'm looking for a next-gen format that allows the movie to look and sound its best without splitting movies across disks. The higher storage capacity and Audio/Video bandwidth of Blu-ray obviously allows for that higher A/V quality.

I'm a big Bond fan so it obviously helps that MGM/Sony are on board with Blu-ray. I love Panasonic electronics so that helps too.
    Dayum, you bring up a good point.

But I'm going HD direction for now, blu ray perhaps later next year. That way I won't miss out on anything.

The Doctor prescribes Blu Ray for better vision.

If you look at the stats. HD DVD cannot win this war. Their best outcome will be a stalemate and the public will not adopt High Def in large enough numbers. Blu ray at least has a chance to finish this stupid war.
    Last edited by DrG; 12-10-2007 at 03:35 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Blu-Ray of course. By this time next year there will be no need for this discussion.

Blu-ray of course

blu ray all the way.

Smile Re: Blu-Ray or HD DVD

I love your work, Michael. I'm looking forward to all your work being released on Blu-ray. I'll buy them all in a heartbeat! Have a great day!

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    First, let's keep in mind that most people own HDTV's that can't accept higher than 1080i input. Of those who own 1080p capable HDTV's very few can acccept 1080p24.

If you're one of the lucky ones who actually owns a 1080p24 display, you can pick up the latest 3rd generation HD-A30 from Amazon (or other sites) for $250. You can buy a bunch of movies with the money you saved over a Blu-ray player.
    If you will allow me, just pointing at a few problems here

1) More and More people will see the "Full HD" sticked on displays and get equipped with those. That simply means 1080p, which is arguably the best HD resolution you can get. You can get real nice full HD flat screens for $1500 or under now (e.g.: Panasonic has a 42" @ $1500 discounted + free 1080p BD30K Blu Ray player -value $499- at BB)

2) Samsung has reprice its full HD (1080p) player 1400 at $299.
    You will have the Sony BDS 300 (a Full HD 1080p) player coming in at $299 or less within 1 week from now, it has been confirmed by wholesale insiders. So much for any "price advantage" HD DVD has for the same kind of outputs

Looking forward to own The Island in Blu Ray, and hopefully soon Transformers
    Last edited by Elandyll; 12-10-2007 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elandyll View Post
    Looking forward to own The Island in Blu Ray, and hopefully soon Transformers
    The Island Blu-Ray has been released in UK and some other european countries and it's region free:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Island-Blu-r...7321623&sr=8-1

Blu-ray is clearly the superior format.

Just purchased my second Panasonic player, the BD30
    what an awsome machine. The Pic's & sound from my Blu's
    give me a tear to my eyes

Blue all the way!

(I'd put more cool smileys but I'm limited to only 4 images per post kekeke)

Lightbulb Blu-Ray is the FUTURE

Tale of the tape says it all:
    (BD = Blu-Ray Disc / HD = HD-DVD Disc)

Software Sales - BD: 70% / HD: 30% = Blu-Ray

Hardware Sales (US) - BD: 2400K / HD: 750K = Blu-Ray

Capacity - BD: 50GB (2 layer disc) / HD: 30GB (2 layer disc) = Blu-Ray

Uncompressed Audio - BD: YES / HD: NO = Blu-Ray

1st Tier Manufacturers - BD: 14 / HD: 3 = Blu-Ray

PC Drives - BD: 9 / HD: 2 = Blu-Ray

Picture-In-Picture Functionality - BD*: NO / HD: YES = HD-DVD

When you add it all up,

BLU-RAY IS THE WINNING FORMAT!!

* - NOTE: Profile 1.1 is coming to correct this

Boy, all I can say is Welcome!!!! to all the Blu-ray.com members who just showed up.

Vote Blu at M. Bay's Site
    http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=26569

I love that the person that started this thread felt the need to remind the members of Blu-ray.com which format they should vote for.

Boy, all I can say is Welcome!!!! to all the Blu-ray.com members who just showed up.

I love that the person that started this thread felt the need to remind the members of Blu-ray.com which format they should vote for.
    Yep, nice to meet ya Have a nice day Sir.

At the moment, neither.

It seems like the current format war is a bunch of...well, what's the proper word...mud-slinging right now. Neither format has shown me that there's one thing that really stands out ahead of regular DVDs outside of improved picture quality, and indeed, a few movies are being released now in 2-disc editions on Blu-Ray and HD-DVD - something I would have thought would have been in the distant (but not-too-distant) future.
    "You can't fix stupid." - Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch View Post
    At the moment, neither.

It seems like the current format war is a bunch of...well, what's the proper word...mud-slinging right now. Neither format has shown me that there's one thing that really stands out ahead of regular DVDs outside of improved picture quality, and indeed, a few movies are being released now in 2-disc editions on Blu-Ray and HD-DVD - something I would have thought would have been in the distant (but not-too-distant) future.

Sorry but... what where you expecting ? HDTV has been developed as a better tv broadcasting/video standard to replace the ancient SDTV (which has many issues due to its design in the '40s when valves technology and high production costs obliged to use interlacing and other tradeoffs...).

Movies on DVDs are not even real 16:9 but the widescreen MPEG-2 streams are encoded as 4:3 and samples at the correct aspect ratio get reconstructed realtime by the decoder.

LOL might as well put this poll up on BD.com and have the 13 people that voted HD DVD automatically banned.

hd dvd for me.

I chose blu-ray for its wider support by consumer electronic companies. Hd-dvd seems like just an expansion to dvd, while the blu-ray format feels more from the ground up.

Blu ray, if your going to spend the money on a hi-def player, you want the best picture and audio period.

How can HD DVD say "look and sound of perfect" when they can't even include the best audio or video codecs?

I'm sorry, but anyone who bought into HD DVD thinking it was the best, didn't do their homework, or just bought it because it was cheap.

Cool Re: Blu-Ray or HD DVD

Absolutely Blu-ray!
    HD DVD is to confusing, and the cheap players do not even support 1080p. The newest BD player is only $269 on amazon and it supports 1080p (here)
    The discs hold more, have better bandwidth, are adding profile 1.1 for interactivity and some even have 2.0 for web content both coming out in January, the PS3 is the best selling player with over 2.3 million sold, the discs have extra hard coat of protection HD DVD doesn't have, there are more studios supporting Blu-ray, more manufacturers of Blu-ray players, better sales in USA, UK, AU, and JPN (everywhere really), need I go on? I can if I must.
    But I think the people know the truth, and they know which is the future.
    We need the war to end now and if WB supports Blu-ray, there is a good chance Universal will join as well since that would give Blu-ray 70% of the HD market and Universal can not compete with that.
    It is obvious to me that this entire thing is getting out of hand, and the only way to have a happy ending at all is for Blu-ray to win. Anything else and the formats will both fail.

Hey. I'm a new Blu-ray member. I don't have any hateful feelings toward those who swear by HD-DVD, but I absolutely LOATHE Microsoft.

Bluray all the way.. sorry to see Transformers went on such a inferior product.Bring it to Bluray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!