Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mad max 4: fury Road

Default Re: Mad max 4: fury Road

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    Got to watch this yesterday.

Mad Max: Fury Road is a great movie. This is not to say that this is a perfect movie. No movie is. But when you get most things right, then it's the closest thing you can get to a perfect movie. Which is what this movie is.

Good cast. Good acting. Great CGI. Great score. Great action. Nice vehicles. I like the boss villain car in particular as it has a "hearse" feel to it.

The negatives...

Simplistic plot. And where did the trademark car go after the first scene? In the end it would have been nice to see him drive off into the desert in his trademark car [in a restored state] rather than see him disappear into the crowds. Just minor niggles.

Overall great movie.
    And do you think it's as good as the first 2 movies? and the best sci-fi movie and action film of the year?

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    And do you think it's as good as the first 2 movies?
    Can't really compare this one to the first movies because they're of different generations. The first movies back then didn't have the film-making technology that they have now.

A better question would be: How great would the first movies be if they were remade with today's film-making technology?

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    and the best sci-fi movie and action film of the year?
    Not so fast. It's a great movie for sure. But we're only half way through this year. Still a lot of movies to come before the end of 2015. Jurassic World and Terminator Genesys are a couple of strong competitors just around the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    Can't really compare this one to the first movies because they're of different generations. The first movies back then didn't have the film-making technology that they have now.

A better question would be: How great would the first movies be if they were remade with today's film-making technology?

Not so fast. It's a great movie for sure. But we're only half way through this year. Still a lot of movies to come before the end of 2015. Jurassic World and Terminator Genesys are a couple of strong competitors just around the corner.

Nah, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Besides Road Warrior is still a masterpiece of action filmmaking and sci-fi filmmaking, still an influential movie you know and made Mel Gibson a star.

Quote Originally Posted by TIMtationX View Post
    They have been many well made action movies over the years, yet none have recieved as much hyperbole as Fury Road. I enjoyed the movie, the action was great, but lets be real: it was a movie was insane action, yet very little plot. Let an internet hating director make a movie with all action and no plot, and they'll get destroyed by critics.
    For me the best action movie of this decade, maybe better than anything of the past decade. One of the best ever.

The main difference with most action movies is the script. This movie has an extremely clever script. With almost zero exposition (kudos for that, I'm tired of having characters telling me what's going on) it explains the world, explains the conflict, explains the characters and gives each one its own personality and development, throws in a lot of ideas about many things (religion and patriarchy being the most obvious). Also is an extremelly focused script. No random things to try to cater to everyone or unnecesary twists every fifteen minutes to try to be cool. It knows what the movie needs, and delivers exactly that.

It dares to be a feminist blockbuster action movie. That's something.

^ We'll just agree to disagree.Mad Max is a movie with a clever and focused script,yet with any other action movie, critics would cry about there not being anytype of plot.

Mad Max DOES have plot which is simple and clear. Naturally its narrative has introduction, development, turn, conclusion without any superfluity. And the film's messages about admiration for life & femininity, hope for humane world etc are obviously apparent.

Quote Originally Posted by TIMtationX View Post
    ^ We'll just agree to disagree.Mad Max is a movie with a clever and focused script,yet with any other action movie, critics would cry about there not being anytype of plot.
    Well, I haven't found many action movies with near as good as this one in the last years. Avengers AoU for example has a weaker script for example. Yes, the plot is more complex, there are a lot of things going on... but sometimes is hard to guess what the movie really wants to do. And I'm not saying is a bad movie, I really liked it, but Mad Max is a better written movie (even when its plot is really simple).

Also it's a movie about positive thinking, and in my opinion lots of critics liked that. It's optimistic about change, it's a "progressive" movie, while most action movies tend to fear change and have the hero fighting against change (tend to be conservative movies).

I really can't think about action movies that could hold up against this one in this decade... maybe The Raid or Dredd, but Mad Max is way deeper. And It's not that we didn't have good action movies. But not this good.

The thing Mad Max doesn't have, and thank god it doesn't, it's exposition. Almost every single blockbuster of the last years is really exposition-heavy. This one isn't, and that's one of its greatest strengths.

Mad Max: Fury Road has now earned over $300 million at the world wide box office.
    The question is if Warner Bros thinks it has earned enough to proceed with the plans of making a sequel?
    The movie had a budget of $150 million.
    http://variety.com/2015/film/news/ma...ce-1201513910/

Mind: California. Body: Between US & Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by frolunda71 View Post
    The question is if Warner Bros thinks it has earned enough to proceed with the plans of making a sequel?

The answer right now is "No".

Despite that crazy internet reaction "Fury Road" was not exactly met with a Pixar-style universal acclaim by the average Joe. It earned a B+ CinemaScore ("Transformers 4" earned an A-), you don't really see long lines in front of the theaters, and looking at the numbers so far the movie is basically repeating the box office performance of "Wanted" (also a crazy, over-the-top R-rated action film).

Still, China will definitely help, box office-wise. They expect good numbers there. At the end of the day though, "Fury Road" is not gonna be a full-blown blockbuster success. The overall budget (including domestic and international P&A costs) is well above $250 million.

That's a lot to cover.

A lot.
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

I disagree. I think it has already earned enough money to plan a sequel. Otherwise I don't understand making a press statement to claim it crossed the 300M mark. It looks like that one was the target to give greenlight to a sequel.

This movie was never going to make 1B worldwide, no matter how good or well marketed it was. That was out of its league. But a sequel may do it. It reminds me of Batman Begins. Not so succesful, but strong enough to start a franchise.

Also bear in mind that this might be a strong contender in oscar season. I would be surprised if it's nominated to a bunch of oscars. It's a strong one for best picture, director, lead actress, cinematography, costume design, editing, makeup, production design, sound editing and sound mixing. It has the handicap of being an action movie, but reviews are so good one can think about it. Not getting some of them would be a disgrace for the academy (best shot and edited action movie ever, if this one doesn't deserve a directing nomination, no one will ever do).

Quote Originally Posted by alexsm View Post
    I disagree. I think it has already earned enough money to plan a sequel. Otherwise I don't understand making a press statement to claim it crossed the 300M mark. It looks like that one was the target to give greenlight to a sequel.

The press release is out there just to keep the conversation going. In reality it doesn't mean anything and it's been done before. It's just a way for studios to keep their movies in the media spotlight for as long as possible. Paramount did the same thing with "Transformers 4".

Thing is, when your movie costs over $200 million...well, hitting the $300 million mark worldwide after few weeks in the theaters is not a big deal. So again, the WB press release exists just to keep the conversation going. It's a strong competition out there, so the Warner suits would do anything to "remind" people of "Mad Max".

Hoping that it would translate into more ticket sales.

Also bear in mind that this might be a strong contender in oscar season. I would be surprised if it's nominated to a bunch of oscars. It's a strong one for best picture, director, lead actress, cinematography, costume design, editing, makeup, production design, sound editing and sound mixing. It has the handicap of being an action movie, but reviews are so good one can think about it. Not getting some of them would be a disgrace for the academy (best shot and edited action movie ever, if this one doesn't deserve a directing nomination, no one will ever do).

I admire your enthusiasm and love for this movie, but personally I don't think it'll happen.

A lot of people said the same thing about "Interstellar" and at the end of the day that movie (which is arguably way more ambitious than "Mad Max") got Oscar nominations only in the technical categories.

Plus, it's a known fact that the Oscar voters (94% white, 76% men, and an average of 63 years old) don't really like popcorn action movies. Don't expect them to change soon, no matter how glowing the reviews are.

Me, I'm just glad that I don't care about the Oscars. I've been that way for 13 years. Yes, I will check the list of nominations, but I honestly couldn't care less who wins or loses. Many people in the business have already pointed out that these awards are, at the end of the day, completely meaningless. Especially these days when - thanks to Twitter and Facebook - different opinions about cinema and art as a whole are all over the place.

People don't need the Oscars to tell them which movies are "the best of the year".
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

A lot of people said the same thing about "Interstellar" and at the end of the day that movie (which is arguably way more ambitious than "Mad Max") got Oscar nominations only in the technical categories.
    The thing is that Intertellar is way worse directed, edited and written. And while Interestellar's plot is more complex, it's also thematically lighter and full of goddamn exposition. Nolan thinks the way to tell a story is having the characters explaining what's happening and why in long speeches. And that's exactly how you don't do it. Interstellar (and every single Nolan movie) is a movie that thinks it's really intelligent, but also thinks its audience is dumb. This one thinks its audience its ingelligent.

And I like Interstellar (and most Nolan movies), but they are nowhere near this level.

Plus, it's a known fact that the Oscar voters (94% white, 76% men, and an average of 63 years old) don't really like popcorn action movies. Don't expect them to change soon, no matter how glowing the reviews are.
    I still remember Titanic (way worse than this one) and Lord of the Rings.

And...

2013 - Gravity
    2012 - Django Unchained
    2011 - War Horse
    2010 - Inception
    2009 - Avatar, Inglorious Bastards, District 9

Mad Max is better than all those.

Me, I'm just glad that I don't care about the Oscars. I've been that way for 13 years. Yes, I will check the list of nominations, but I honestly couldn't care less who wins or loses. Many people in the business have already pointed out that these awards are, at the end of the day, completely meaningless. Especially these days when - thanks to Twitter and Facebook - different opinions about cinema and art as a whole are all over the place.

People don't need the Oscars to tell them which movies are "the best of the year".
    It's not about them telling which ones are good or bad, but about status. Oscars still give status to studios. There are movies developed under the assumption that they will be flops, but may earn prizes. And not just a few.

I don't think this movies needs 600 Millions to guarantee a sequel, the same way Batman Begins didn't needed them (with the same budget). And anyone expecting this one (a R rated franchise dead so long ago that it was practically a new IP) getting closer to 1 Billion was a fool. I don't think anyone at Warner expected that when they greenlighted it.

And I don't think competition is hurting Mad Max. Strongest drop from weekend to weekend has been -46% so far. That's impressive, and really doesn't match a Cinemascore of B+.

This one thinks its audience its ingelligent.

And I like Interstellar (and most Nolan movies), but they are nowhere near this level.

I still remember Titanic (way worse than this one) and Lord of the Rings.

And...

2013 - Gravity
    2012 - Django Unchained
    2011 - War Horse
    2010 - Inception
    2009 - Avatar, Inglorious Bastards, District 9

Mad Max is better than all those.

I'm impressed. You really do love that movie. Fair enough.

However...I strongly disagree that "Fury Road" is better than "Titanic", "Inception", "Django", "Interstellar" and "Inglorious Basterds". We can't even compare them, they're completely different movies.

And most importantly this is now a matter of personal opinions, so we'll just have to agree to disagree. I doubt we can change our views on the subject, no matter how long we discuss it.

I don't think this movies needs 600 Millions to guarantee a sequel, the same way Batman Begins didn't needed them (with the same budget).

Thing is, "Batman Begins" was overall cheaper (budget + P&A cost) and it did better business domestically - which matters a lot. Unlike "Fury Road" there were no major reshoots and "Begins" made over $200 million in the US alone. Don't expect "Mad Max" to hit that number.

The studio receives a bigger cut from the domestic grosses. "Fury Road", on the other hand, is doing better internationally, but the studio takes only like 30% of the international grosses. Not to mention that Batman is a way more popular character than Mad Max.

So it's a different situation.

By the way, I was just listening to a brand new interview with Rob Cohen (director and a friend of George Miller) who said that in reality Warner Bros spent well over $300 million on the making of "Fury Road".

If that is indeed the case this makes the movie one of the most expensive projects in WB history. Now, does that mean they not gonna make a sequel? No. I'm sure they eventually will, because there's definitely an audience for this. Kinda like "Pacific Rim".

But...it'll be an uphill battle to turn a clean profit. They gonna need good numbers from China and really good numbers from the DVD/Blu-ray sales, VOD, streaming, downloads and all that stuff.

That's the case with many other big movies, by the way. Not just "Fury Road".

I completely hate when characters start speeches to explain me the plot of a movie. It's annoying and a bit insulting. All Nolan movies do that to a certain degree. Some are better, some worse (Inception has a full hour of unnecesary exposition...), but all of them do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayhem View Post
    I'm impressed. You really do love that movie. Fair enough.

However...I strongly disagree that "Fury Road" is better than "Titanic", "Inception", "Django", "Interstellar" and "Inglorious Basterds". We can't even compare them, they're completely different movies.

And most importantly this is now a matter of personal opinions, so we'll just have to agree to disagree. I doubt we can change our views on the subject, no matter how long we discuss it.
    At least you have to give it this:

Fury Road is an action movie (almost a fantasy movie) that talks about real world problems.

It has a strong message on feminism, patriarchy, maternity, fraternal love, violence...

It's also a progressive movie (contrary to most blockbusters). In this one you don't have the typical situation : World is fine -> something changes it -> that change is bad -> we fight to make things as they where, villais fight to change it. Like all transformers movies, super hero movies and action movies in general. They are pretty conservative movies, afraid of change. This one says the opposite: Word is awful -> we must change it -> we fight to change things, villains fight to left things untouched.

It's a movie full of hot women that doesn't see them as sexual objects. That's something in modern blockbusters.

It's a movie that creates a mythology without exposition.

It's a movie with character development during the action sequences. Not a movie with action - character separated in different parts.

It's a movie that made Rosie Huntington-Whiteley look like an actress :P

And reviews are extremely good. Not only praising the entertainment value, but the different layers behind the action.

Default Re: Mad Max: The Wasteland

Tom Hardy Confirms ‘Mad Max: The Wasteland’ Is Still Happening
    “All right, let’s get the leathers on and get back out there and do some more.”
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Trumbore & Christina Radish
    While appearing at the ongoing TCA 2017 event to talk up his new FX series Taboo, Hardy also fielded a few questions regarding the future of the Mad Max franchise. During the panel, he confirmed that there’s much more to explore in the mythology and he’s anxiously waiting for Miller to get things rolling again. And as a bonus, in a 1-on-1 interview with our own Christina Radish, Hardy commented on his franchise film deal and the status of the two previously announced Mad Max films.

As for Hardy’s anticipation for the next installment, here’s what he said during the 1-on-1:
    I’m anxiously waiting to find out. There’s mythology to do with Mad Max that spans copious amounts of tales. What’s wonderful about George [Miller] is that he’s created sagas for Max and sagas for Furiosa, so it’s what he chooses to focus in on. I’m really just waiting for the call like, “All right, let’s get the leathers on and get back out there and do some more.” It’s there. I’m just waiting for it and looking forward to it.
    During the after-panel scrum, Hardy confirmed that he’s signed on for a total of three films and that the working title of Mad Max: The Wasteland might not be the final title, but the movie’s still a go:
    Is Mad Max: The Wasteland happening?

Yeah, as far as I’ve signed to do three of them. It’s a question of when. I’m not sure it’s called The Wasteland or not ‘cause you never know. These titles change all the time. But, there’s definitely another Mad Max project pending.

And while Hardy wasn’t going to give anything up regarding any new directions for his title character, it’s nice to know that the actor and director get along so well:
    What are you excited about, with returning to that particular character?

HARDY: I love working with George [Miller] and the fact that his mythology is so deep. It’s a joy to work with an artist and somebody who has the ability to be a movie maker, as well. It’s the full package, isn’t it?

Default Re: Mad Max: The Wasteland

The Doof Warrior Will Return In MAD MAX: THE WASTELAND
    George Miller says we haven't seen the last of FURY ROAD's strangest character.

Variety July 11, 2017:
    Charlize Theron Would ‘Love to’ Do a Prequel to ‘Mad Max: Fury Road’
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramin Setoodeh
    In this week’s cover story, Charlize Theron tells Variety she hopes that her new action thriller “Atomic Blonde” spawns a multi-film franchise. But she’s also eager to trek back through the desert as the one-armed Imperator Furiosa in a prequel to “Max Mad: Fury Road.”

“I’d love to,” Theron tells Variety. “There were three scripts. They were written as back stories to Max’s character and to Furiosa’s character. But at the end of the day, this thing lives and breathes with [director] George [Miller]. I think Warner Bros. knows that. We are all waiting for him to show us the way.”

Theron said that that the strong box office reception to “Mad Max” — which grossed $378.9 million worldwide and won six Oscars — helped guide the development of “Atomic Blonde.” In the summer tentpole, Theron plays an ass-kicking British spy that battles Russian baddies in 1989 Berlin.

“Mad Max” had several false stars, and in one version, Theron revealed she had less of a punk rock look. “Originally, [George] liked this idea that even though they were in the desert, something happened and people actually turned albino,” Theron says. “They became these white ghosts. I had this white hair, kind of like Abbey Lee [Kershaw’s] character. It was very much like that: blonde, bleached, very pale skin, no eyebrows. We played around with African war paint. It would have been a completely different film.”

But after the release of “Snow White and the Huntsman,” Theron wanted to shave her head. “I had just finished a big press tour,” Theron says. “I’d come home — I was just so done with hair and makeup. The idea of going into a desert for 140 days, and having to do hair and makeup every single day. I was so excited about diving into this character, I didn’t want anything to hold me back from that. It think it came from that — just pure exhaustion from hair and makeup. How do I eliminate everything I possibly can and get straight to the business at hand?”

As for another franchise, “The Fast and the Furious,” Theron sounds less certain about whether she’s returning for the next film, after playing a hacker in this spring’s “The Fate of the Furious.”

“I don’t know,” she says. “I have no idea if they’ll have me back. Look, I love everybody at Universal. We’re going to have conversations. We’ll see where it goes.”