Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Roberto Orci discusses the strike & TF2

Default Roberto Orci discusses the strike & TF2

They should get off their asses. While A-listers can aford to hold out for ever, the guys that write your sitcoms 5x a year can't.

Alec Baldwin was and is right.

The Buyers' Long Term Plan, and an Idea for the WGA
    Posted December 4, 2007 | 02:25 PM (EST)

The entertainment business, movies, TV, music, is divided between buyers and sellers. The sellers are actors, musicians, directors writers and their agents. The buyers are the studios, the networks, the labels. Over the last fifteen years or more, the balance of power has shifted dramatically from the sellers to the buyers. Once, powerful agencies made astronomical deals on behalf of their biggest clients. The rising tide that resulted lifted all boats. Major stars were paid large fees and their supporting castmates made enviable salaries, as well. In the 1990s, that began to change. Today, the biggest stars are still paid huge salaries, but other salaries have dropped significantly. Roles are cast at a fixed price and the producers find the actor who will work at that budgeted amount.

More changes followed. The quote system died. Actors who never read a script without an offer were being told that producers did not want performers passing on their material and, thus, effecting the industry word on the project. Reading without an offer is the way of the world for many now.

Some of the most prominent names in film and television switched sides. The end of the sellers' market meant big name agents became producers, even executives, as the party was ending for many of their clients. Today, most agencies, one could argue, work for the buyers. Agents realize that their ten percent of their clients' income comes from the studios and networks as a cushion shot. It is banked off of their clients, but it comes from the buyers. When I started in this business, agents went to war with the buyers on behalf of their clients over casting and money. Agents still fight for their clients to get a role, but the money discussion is brief. The buyers essentially fax over the deal and the artist says yea or nay.

The strike may go on for a variety of reasons. On one hand, the writers are cursed because they are right on most issues but they are awful negotiators. They got screwed in 1988 and expect the buyers to make up for that, like some kind of reparations. That will never happen. The time for making that situation right was 1988. The studios have a different problem. They are owned by huge, creativity-deadening corporations and operated by lawyers and marketing executives who lord over the worst creative decline I have witnessed in a long time, particularly in films. In television, companies like GE view properties like NBC the way realtors view square footage. GE does not care what is on NBC. So long as the programming is relatively inoffensive, they want to earn as much per square foot as they can. In the current strike, the writers expect the buyers to have a soul. The buyers, who cannot count a real filmmaker or television programmer among them, view a soul as an impediment to business.

The strike should end now. The writers should go back to work. Continue negotiating, but go back to work. The report in yesterday's New York Times about NBC buying blocks of programming from "outside producers" is a view to our future. Just as MOWs were killed off the networks and original movies became the exclusive realm of the cable broadcasters, one can envision a future where more scripted programming moves to cable. Eventually, HBO and Showtime, et al, may become the place to find the bulk of scripted shows. With these people calling the shots, anything is possible.

In the meantime, the writers, and the other sellers as well, have a different idea they can try. I recall when a popular late night talk show host skewered the head of his own network for a prolonged run, right there on his show. On and on it went and, from what I heard, that network head was apoplectic. These people have bigger egos than even the stars themselves, but without any sense of humor. I want the WGA to set up a website and on that website we can all post stories about every no-talent, idiotic, amoral producer and executive we have ever dealt with. Just like they do to us on shows like Extra and sites like TMZ (owned by Warner Brothers.) Set up a website and tell the entire world, via the internet, your own anecdote about some of the witless boobs you have endured in Hollywood and beyond. The strike will end in a week.

BTW, Bay just indicated to me that Transformers is still on schedule. The movie is still in heavy prep and "will be released JUNE 24th 2009."

Quote Originally Posted by nelson View Post
    BTW, Bay just indicated to me that Transformers is still on schedule. The movie is still in heavy prep and "will be released JUNE 24th 2009."
    SWEET!!!

Happy birthday to me....happy birthday to me.....happy birthday happy birthday...happy birthday to ME!!

*does happy dance*

Thank you Nelson, you made my day a little brighter.

*slams on brakes*

wait a minute....is this something Bay mentioned about throwing us off? Hmmm.....
    Last edited by Bumblebee1983; 12-05-2007 at 03:31 PM. Reason: *slams on brakes*

i hope filming occurs partially in New Mexico,I would like to check out the filming process and get some auto graphs on the dash.anyhow, awesome!! i cant wait for the premiere.we'll put on our best black and white tux if ya know whata' mean?!!!

Quote Originally Posted by barricade505 View Post
    i hope filming occurs partially in New Mexico,I would like to check out the filming process and get some auto graphs on the dash.anyhow, awesome!! i cant wait for the premiere.we'll put on our best black and white tux if ya know whata' mean?!!!
    Just drive Barricade look alike...it might get mixed up and filmed.

Hey, one can dream, right?

And who's autograph would you get? I would get Optimus Prime's...heh...heh....*cough cough*

If only....

Thanks for updates, MitP, Nelson.
    It'd be nice if Roberto come here to have a little chitchat.

Massive strike... I guess we Japanese can't even imagine it, because we're well known as infamous slave-workers.

Quote Originally Posted by sora View Post
    Thanks for updates, MitP, Nelson.
    It'd be nice if Roberto come here to have a little chitchat.

Massive strike... I guess we Japanese can't even imagine it, because we're well known as infamous slave-workers.
    Yes, it would be nice to have Roberto post here.

*knocks on screen*

Hello...is this thing on?

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee1983 View Post

*knocks on screen*

who's this mitP? he knows so much about donmurphy.net?

ya'll welcome to join the drama over there... i love it.

really? can you tell him that as one fan (myself) i don't mind for a later release if it means a better sequel? and a better michael bay movie.

Hi, bliss, I remember you coming here before. How you been?
    donmurphy.net looks tough-guys' hangout to me. Won't they bite a foreign girl?

not bad. foreign eh? where you from. well its pretty much a sausage fest over there. so a feminine perspective would be nice. just to warn you though. i'm anti-arcee. would not like to see her in the movie.

don't want to detract from shootfortheedit posters. like i said before, its not like one board is better than the other, i think its different regarding functionality, but most people just use the board for information and getting angry at each other. we're one disfunctional family there. i've said some mean stuff here before, but at least nelson (whom i have no opinion of) was kind enough to let me back in.

anyway, orci is a class guy. he apologized to the fans when i don't think he didn't have to but at least it shows that he cares about us. that's what i love about dm.net. Don and Orci are open to fan suggestions and criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by bliss81 View Post

ya'll welcome to join the drama over there... i love it.
    Who says some of us don't lurk there already? I'm content being a spectator...

Glad to hear from Roberto, but I can't help but think of the little guy in all of this mess. I hope this ends soon. Lots of non-writing staff paycheck2paycheck people) are losing their jobs.

i'm sorry,i dont know alot of people.i'm terrible with names.who is don murphy?(don't scream)I kinda wanna find out for myself who are all the people involved with project TF2.if it is still a go.you know like the people who release legitimate news.I would like to keep informed.while i transform.....and terrorize!!!

Default Re: Roberto Orci discusses the strike & TF2

really? can you tell him that as one fan (myself) i don't mind for a later release if it means a better sequel? and a better michael bay movie.
    I would think, there is a lot of untapped talent in Hollywierd just dying for a chance to be working. We could end up with an amazing script due to the writer's strike.

Quote Originally Posted by barricade505 View Post
    i'm sorry,i dont know alot of people.i'm terrible with names.who is don murphy?(don't scream)I kinda wanna find out for myself who are all the people involved with project TF2.if it is still a go.you know like the people who release legitimate news.I would like to keep informed.while i transform.....and terrorize!!!

www.donmurphy.net
    check it out. he's a producer. brought movies such a natural born killers and league of extraordinary men to the big screen.
    it was don and tom desanto that went around to the various studios trying to get someone to help them make transformers 1. they eventually got hooked up with speilberg and from there you know how the story ends up. he also set up a internet forum to get fan input (which he stated clearly in several sources)

Quote Originally Posted by r-type View Post
    Who says some of us don't lurk there already? I'm content being a spectator...

Glad to hear from Roberto, but I can't help but think of the little guy in all of this mess. I hope this ends soon. Lots of non-writing staff paycheck2paycheck people) are losing their jobs.

yeh. there are so many people effected. that's the nature of strikes though.
    having said that, many of our minimum pay wages are do to the help of unions and lawyers. so even if your not part of a union, most likely it effects you too in some shape or form.
    here's to the little guy for getting paid soon! hopefully.

not bad. foreign eh? where you from. well its pretty much a sausage fest over there. so a feminine perspective would be nice. just to warn you though. i'm anti-arcee. would not like to see her in the movie.

don't want to detract from shootfortheedit posters. like i said before, its not like one board is better than the other, i think its different regarding functionality, but most people just use the board for information and getting angry at each other. we're one disfunctional family there. i've said some mean stuff here before, but at least nelson (whom i have no opinion of) was kind enough to let me back in.

anyway, orci is a class guy. he apologized to the fans when i don't think he didn't have to but at least it shows that he cares about us. that's what i love about dm.net. Don and Orci are open to fan suggestions and criticism.
    It's encouraging to hear. I should improve skillz of joke/sarcasm literacy before join there.
    Honestly, with my linguistic capacity, sometimes it's hard to read the real intention in slang and idioms.

Ya, I think Roberto doesn't have to apologize for the strike. He looks a very sincere person.

I was afraid of that here, but I've discovered that's only when you tap into the technical forums, such as HD DVD vs. blu ray.

I should start lurking over at dm.net....

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee1983 View Post

*knocks on screen*

Hi...

Can you hear me?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Orci View Post
    Hi...

Can you hear me?
    Welcome to shootfortheedit comandante!

Quote Originally Posted by r-type View Post
    Welcome to shootfortheedit comandante!
    Gracias, amigo.

Welcome Bob....at last I get a chance to thank you for the great work on TFS'.

Welcome to shootfortheedit, Mr. Orci.

Watch out for incoming Texas-sized asteroids.

How flattering that they they can get the whole movie up and running off of an outline we spent two weeks on without the movie suffering in any way!

Wow!