Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast
Results 251 to 275 of 440

Thread: Bay HD comments

  1. #251
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    478

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Funny that with all that extra bandwidth and capacity the reviews keep showing that the quality of titles in the two formats is the same and actually dependent on the original source material as opposed to other factors. With the new 51GB HD DVD discs will you still be arguing the capacity argument?
    1) Maybe you should do a bit of research, 4-layer 100GB and 6-layer 200GB Blu-Ray discs have been developed and are going to be released pretty soon. Also, they are highly likely to be readable with current hardware thru firmware updates, while 3-layer HD-DVD 51GB discs compatibility with current hardware it's far from sure. And HD-DVD 51GB discs are going to be very expensive even because Toshiba doesn't have many manufacturers on its side producing hardware and media.

    2) Too many review sites even claim that XBox360 titles are the best ones ever and keep bashing and dismissing Sony PS3 just like they attack Blu-Ray and Sony. Don't understimate the power of Bill Gates and how many web sites he can control and create to prove his points, really.

  2. #252
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Funny that with all that extra bandwidth and capacity the reviews keep showing that the quality of titles in the two formats is the same and actually dependent on the original source material as opposed to other factors. With the new 51GB HD DVD discs will you still be arguing the capacity argument?

    Tiles

    366
    http://www.hddvdstats.com/

    422
    http://www.blu-raystats.com/

    But we really should strip out the Paramount titles on that Blu-Ray list, as they're not printing any more of them.
    Why strip out Paramount titles, not yet there still places that have a ton of stock of them... Hell I saw many titles still on shelves at BB and CC among other places.

    I guess since we have the 51gig disc coming out maybe we will see a 101gig on Blu. What bothers me, is Toshiba is one of the only manufacturing most if not all of HD-DVD players, hell I even heard Onkyo unit is now scrapped. If we don't see other manufactures on board with HD-DVD come CES, I can't see them lasting much longer.. If HD-DVD was such the better choice you would think, more companies like: Denon,HK,JVC,NAD,Pioneer,Sharp,Onkyo,(maybe)etc.. would be on board and lined up to make the players... Why do they like Blu-Ray better? Well for one they won't make any money selling cheap players, and most think it is a better technology.

  3. #253
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CptGreedle View Post

    The bandwidth is better, the capacity is better, the hard coating/fingerprint and scratch resistance is better.....
    more titles, more studios, more manufacturers, cheaper disc prices (here), etc.
    Laws of supply and demand: More demand for Blu-ray sales, prices are naturally lower overall!

  4. #254
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Funny that with all that extra bandwidth and capacity the reviews keep showing that the quality of titles in the two formats is the same and actually dependent on the original source material as opposed to other factors. With the new 51GB HD DVD discs will you still be arguing the capacity argument?

    Tiles
    366
    http://www.hddvdstats.com/
    422
    http://www.blu-raystats.com/

    But we really should strip out the Paramount titles on that Blu-Ray list, as they're not printing any more of them.
    Easy tiger, let's not let the FUD get out of control here.
    TL51GB HD DVD-ROM discs have been approved, but that means they've simply agreed on the specifications and the DVD Forum has passed them. It doesn't mean they will work. If Toshiba can't get them to work on G1 players, they will not alienate 70,000 of the installed userbase. If they cannot get them to wsork on G2 players, that's even worse. According to Jim Armour from Toshiba, there's little reason right now to believe the 51GB disc will ever see the light of day where HD DVD as a home video format is concerned.

    http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=62615

    DVDTimes: So, if that does come out, do you know if the current drives would be able to read it with a firmware update? Is there any likelihood that we'll ever see triple-layer film discs?
    Jim Armour, Toshiba: Any likelihood... well, if we're actually creating the format, I think there's a likelihood. There is a likelihood - a 45gb capacity could be very useful. Whether drives can read it, I don't know - because, basically the specification hasn't been set. It's like when the first Dual Layer DVD-Rs came out, really old drives couldn't read it. [...] It could well be the same situation. Until the standard has been specified and ratified, you can't really say whether it'll be able to read it.


    As for the reviews, I would agree that they are a good place to look to determine the quality of the two formats. I have compiled all the scored reviewws from www.highdefdigest.com, www.hometheaterspot.com, www.dvdtalk.com, www.upcomingdiscs.com and www.hometheaterforum.com and that equates to over 1,000 HD DVD reviews and over 1,000 Blu-ray Disc reviews. Here are the results.




    By studio:

    PQStudio
    4.18 Buena Vista
    4.01 Paramount
    3.97 Sony
    3.97 Warner
    3.84 Fox
    3.80 Weinstein
    3.71 Universal
    3.64 Lionsgate

    SQStudio
    4.38 Buena Vista
    4.13 Sony
    4.08 Fox
    3.82 Paramount
    3.80 Lionsgate
    3.67 Warner
    3.63 Universal
    3.63 Weinstein

    All numbers as of 10.30.07

  5. #255
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    Cut the crap - Warner have said no such thing. Their #1 title is "300" on Blu-ray and it's cracked 250,000 copies - the HD DVD version is not even close. Dan Silverberg attributed the strong sales of "300" to Blu-ray playback in the PlayStation 3 and he's the Vice President of HD Media Development for Warner. So either you're lying, or he is.

    Someone seems to be a little misinformed, Blu-ray is taking off everywhere.

    Software sales are what the studios look at to see who's winning and where the sales are they will go - the hardware will follow the software.

    Blu-ray disc sales vs. HD DVD sales
    USA - 2:1
    Europe - 3:1
    Australia - 5.6:1
    Japan 9:1

    The only place in the world where HD DVD has any legs at all is in North America, where it has not won a single week's sales all entire year. That's right, Blu-ray has beated HD DVD every week of the year in software sales.

    Hardware numbers:

    North America
    HD DVD - 750,000 (Standalones + 360 add-ons)
    Blu-ray - 2,700,000 (Standalones + PlayStation 3)

    Say bye-bye to HD DVD - by January 2009 the better format will prevail. More bandwidth, more capacity, more studio support, more big name director support (Bay, Spielberg), more CE support.

    The only reason HD DVD standalone prices are so low is because Toshiba is desperate - unfortunately 500,000 standalones amounts to squat, because HD DVD is still losing every week. Black Friday, the biggest shopping day in America - Blu-ray won the week with 72.6% of the disc units moved, HD DVD had only 27.4% - despite selling 90,000 cheap players two weeks before. I guess a lot of people were upgrading their 360 add-on units, because they're handicapped in the audio front being limited to DVD-quality audio.

    Toshiba has priced out all other manufacturers from HD DVD standalone hardware. No-one else will make one! There's no money in it.

    Blu-ray is going to win this war and anyone that tries to convince you differently has an agenda and quite possibly works for Microsoft. There is no future for high definition media as long as there are two formats around.

    People have been lied to by the HD DVD camp so much - that Blu-ray would never have 50GB discs (65.07% of releases in 2007 have been on 50GB discs) that Blu-ray would only ever use MPEG-2 (76.53% of releases in 2007 have either been AVC/MPEG-4 or VC-1) and I think you should be tired of being lied to. I am. I went Blu in November 2006 and I have not looked back since. It is far more consistent for audio and has a much more promising future than HD DUD.
    A few things to set your perspective straight:

    The total sales gap between HD DVD and BD, across all markets since inception is less than 2M disks or so. That includes ALL markets, ALL studios and since inception!

    For some perspective. A mediocre DVD release sells well over 2M disks in the US alone in 1 week!

    So, first of all let's remember that the biggest FUD being thrown around is that BD sales are 'killing' HD DVD or whatever. Ratios are often used to hide the 'real' difference in sales units.

    Next, the BDA has been very aggressive in pricing software sales. A large portion of their sales are attributable to offers like buy-one-get-one type deals that they are running on a continuous basis. So, in revenue terms, it is likely that the actual gap is even smaller than the unit sales.

    Next, consider that HD DVD can be replicated on existing DVD lines, while BD requires a completely new infrastructure. Hence, given the fact that Picture quality and audio quality are the same and the sales volume as we have seen are also very close, why would anyone invest in a new BD infrastructure? It does not make business sense and over time this will become even more self evident.

    Blu Ray in the end is a format for the PS3, it will go the way of UMD.

    As far as Toshiba pricing themselves out of the market, let me just remind you that this is a free market. Toshiba sells more standalones than the rest of the BDA combined. Plus, between the 4 Toshiba models now available there is more diversity in price and features than ALL the BDA standalone players.

    HD DVD will win because it is a better implemenation for HDM overall. Less complex, more economical and less expensive. There is only so many $billions that Sony and Panasonic will pour into BDA to prop up this sinking ship.

    Remember again, the key measurement is not sales ratios, but sales volume and revenue. The sales gap between the 2 formats is less than 1 weeks worth of DVD sales of 1 title! At these volumes would you rather produce HD DVDs from your existing DVD lines or invest $billions in a new technology that is almost certain to be a niche product, tied to a single game console!

    The reason we have not seen much progress in BD hardware over the last 18 months is precisely because no one wants to invest in this losing proposition.

    BD = UMD

  6. #256
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sphdle1 View Post
    Laws of supply and demand: More demand for Blu-ray sales, prices are naturally lower overall!

    These are prices of ONLY the top 10 titles on Amazon. This is not for all titles. Please, next time do a little research

  7. #257
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    Easy tiger, let's not let the FUD get out of control here.
    TL51GB HD DVD-ROM discs have been approved, but that means they've simply agreed on the specifications and the DVD Forum has passed them. It doesn't mean they will work. If Toshiba can't get them to work on G1 players, they will not alienate 70,000 of the installed userbase. If they cannot get them to wsork on G2 players, that's even worse. According to Jim Armour from Toshiba, there's little reason right now to believe the 51GB disc will ever see the light of day where HD DVD as a home video format is concerned.

    http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=62615

    DVDTimes: So, if that does come out, do you know if the current drives would be able to read it with a firmware update? Is there any likelihood that we'll ever see triple-layer film discs?
    Jim Armour, Toshiba: Any likelihood... well, if we're actually creating the format, I think there's a likelihood. There is a likelihood - a 45gb capacity could be very useful. Whether drives can read it, I don't know - because, basically the specification hasn't been set. It's like when the first Dual Layer DVD-Rs came out, really old drives couldn't read it. [...] It could well be the same situation. Until the standard has been specified and ratified, you can't really say whether it'll be able to read it.


    As for the reviews, I would agree that they are a good place to look to determine the quality of the two formats. I have compiled all the scored reviewws from www.highdefdigest.com, www.hometheaterspot.com, www.dvdtalk.com, www.upcomingdiscs.com and www.hometheaterforum.com and that equates to over 1,000 HD DVD reviews and over 1,000 Blu-ray Disc reviews. Here are the results.




    By studio:

    PQStudio
    4.18 Buena Vista
    4.01 Paramount
    3.97 Sony
    3.97 Warner
    3.84 Fox
    3.80 Weinstein
    3.71 Universal
    3.64 Lionsgate

    SQStudio
    4.38 Buena Vista
    4.13 Sony
    4.08 Fox
    3.82 Paramount
    3.80 Lionsgate
    3.67 Warner
    3.63 Universal
    3.63 Weinstein

    All numbers as of 10.30.07
    Can you classify your reviews by genre? HD DVD seems to have more catalog titles aimed at a more mature audience, while BD seems to be targetting the PS3 crowd with more eye candy. The reason Disney rates high I am assuming is that because they have released mostly cartoons and newer titles. Whereas, Universal has released a lot of catalog. But when they have released newer titles like Hot Fuzz and King Kong, they are right up there with the best of the best!

    How does Fox get such a high score for audio when they have been using DTS-MA that NO BD player that I am aware of can decode What's up with that

  8. #258
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    A few things to set your perspective straight:

    The total sales gap between HD DVD and BD, across all markets since inception is less than 2M disks or so. That includes ALL markets, ALL studios and since inception!

    For some perspective. A mediocre DVD release sells well over 2M disks in the US alone in 1 week!

    So, first of all let's remember that the biggest FUD being thrown around is that BD sales are 'killing' HD DVD or whatever. Ratios are often used to hide the 'real' difference in sales units.

    Next, the BDA has been very aggressive in pricing software sales. A large portion of their sales are attributable to offers like buy-one-get-one type deals that they are running on a continuous basis. So, in revenue terms, it is likely that the actual gap is even smaller than the unit sales.

    Next, consider that HD DVD can be replicated on existing DVD lines, while BD requires a completely new infrastructure. Hence, given the fact that Picture quality and audio quality are the same and the sales volume as we have seen are also very close, why would anyone invest in a new BD infrastructure? It does not make business sense and over time this will become even more self evident.

    Blu Ray in the end is a format for the PS3, it will go the way of UMD.

    As far as Toshiba pricing themselves out of the market, let me just remind you that this is a free market. Toshiba sells more standalones than the rest of the BDA combined. Plus, between the 4 Toshiba models now available there is more diversity in price and features than ALL the BDA standalone players.

    HD DVD will win because it is a better implemenation for HDM overall. Less complex, more economical and less expensive. There is only so many $billions that Sony and Panasonic will pour into BDA to prop up this sinking ship.

    Remember again, the key measurement is not sales ratios, but sales volume and revenue. The sales gap between the 2 formats is less than 1 weeks worth of DVD sales of 1 title! At these volumes would you rather produce HD DVDs from your existing DVD lines or invest $billions in a new technology that is almost certain to be a niche product, tied to a single game console!

    The reason we have not seen much progress in BD hardware over the last 18 months is precisely because no one wants to invest in this losing proposition.

    BD = UMD
    Man another drunk posting... Way to go Stinger.. Are you one of those people that drunk calls in the middle of the night as well! JK!! You bring up some good points.... but....

    Lets see, Sony was the only company backing UMD and HD-DVD is the only one backing HD-DVD via a hardware manufacture that is... Michael Bay is right on MS being involved. If it wasn't for Microsoft helping hold Toshiba pants up this war would be over with. Toshiba has a lot to loose and that is royalties on DVD, so there not giving up the sinking ship just yet. Also you must be delusional if you think all those manufacturers on the Blu-Ray side investing in all that hardware on some thing that is going to fail. The software sales speak for themselves, you guys have lost every Nielsen rankings since Blu-Rays been on board. Yeah I am sure this means nothing unless it was flip-flopped then it would be good information that you would use. Keep on
    throwing those weak left jabs, and expect a big right hook that you won't see coming.



    Week Ending Blu-Ray HD-DVD

    11/11 65% 35%
    11/04 71% 29%
    10/28 55% 45%
    10/21 51% 49%
    10/14 71% 29%
    10/07 68% 32%
    09/30 54% 46%
    09/23 63% 37%
    09/16 61% 39%
    09/09 60% 40%
    09/02 56% 44%
    08/26 68% 32%
    08/19 71% 29%
    08/12 66% 34%
    08/05 62% 38%
    07/29 66% 34%
    07/22 74% 26%
    07/15 61% 39%
    07/08 66% 34%
    07/01 65% 35%
    06/24 70% 30%
    06/17 64% 36%
    06/10 66% 34%
    06/03 61% 39%
    05/27 69% 31%
    05/20 58% 42%
    05/13 62% 38%
    05/06 60% 40%
    04/29 71% 29%
    04/22 52% 48%
    04/15 61% 39%
    04/08 62.4%37.6%

    These are the Nielsen numbers... And they are important to what
    goes on with studios and TV shows...
    __________________

    Nielsen VideoScan I will try to find the link.... Some one on YouTube put this up... LOL

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlOGSl13O1k

    I guess my point is we can bitch about this all we want, only time will tell, we call toss links up and try to prove or disprove what is going on, I just want my HD. I own both formats but I think(my opinion) of course that Blu-Ray is
    a better format.
    Last edited by Gman; 12-06-2007 at 01:05 PM.

  9. #259
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5

    Default

    dobyblue....

    You do realize you are quoting an article (refering to the then-proposed 45GB TL disc) from 2006. Long before ANY TL disc got brought up for approval by the DVD Forum.

  10. #260
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    These are prices of ONLY the top 10 titles on Amazon. This is not for all titles. Please, next time do a little research

    I'm sorry, you mistakenly thought I meant just the Amazon titles?
    I was speaking in terms of all titles ever sold anywhere throughout North America, or Europe, or Japan, based off the Nielsen stats & other stats from every other on-line or retail store that sells high-def media, of which I have been studying now for over a year.

    Laws of supply and demand still apply in general the same! Do some research and you'll find the same stats & trends over time as I have.
    Last edited by sphdle1; 12-06-2007 at 01:14 PM.

  11. #261
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Good afternoon all,

    I actually read the entire post, except the silly 1080p24/1080i60 stuff (my head hurt after a while). Besides doing the usual rituals, eat, sleep, work and shit, it took me almost an entire day. My response will not be heavy.

    This is my first post, my apologies for being a "one-post-wonder".
    Mr. Bay, I enjoy your films. Thank you.

    I want to start off by trying to comment on why this post was started in the first place, Mr. Bay's comments towards Microsoft wanting the two competing formats to fail and be the hero in downloadable movies. I agree with those that know downloading full HD quality movies is a very long ways away. If a disc is packed to the gills and uses 49Gbs, then to download the same content will take me many days. Also, I will only be able to store about 8 movies with the HDD space that I have available to me at home, this day. I want a physical disc in my hand and that disc has to have the absolute best quality and have future proofing technology on it.

    When I was getting ready to purchase a PS3, at the time for gaming only, I was also reasearching this new-to-me High-Def movie experience, as I had very recently purchase a new HDTV. I was quite excited to learn that the PS3 also played Blu-ray, I was favoring this disc technology for more reasons then HD Movies. There was also archiving of my HDD on my Mac to consider... and, of course, future proofing. HD-DVD fans need to know that this is one amazing reason why Blu-ray will win this "war". This disc will last for many years, especially if multiple layers increase the disc space to 200Gbs plus.

    I fell that this is fact, but I will stat it as opinion. A few posters are trying to say that Blu-ray and HD-DVD are the same. They are not. With extra disc space there becomes extra possibilities. Most notibly would be audio. Blu-ray discs have space for a better audio track (lossless). I don't think this can be argued anymore. To continue this argument, to me, is pointless and those trying to debate it are just in denial.

    There was a comment earlier about Blu-ray not being on the DVD Forum (?). What I think about this is: Why should they? Blu-ray will replace DVD. If blu-ray sat on the DVD Board then they would be working with DVD tech (e.g. HD-DVD), Blu-ray is an advanced tech which is, without trying to repeat myslef, aimed at replacing DVD.

    Unfortunately, I am at work and have spent two hours typing very few words. I will attempt to write more as the day goes by and I read some more responses. I have more opinions which I will try to express, but some that I like to keep to myself.

    TauRus, thanks for your post.

    CptGreedle, nice to see you here.

    Talk soon.

  12. #262
    Senior Member Bumblebee1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    None ya :P
    Posts
    4,496

    Default Okay, I want a straight answer.....

    On a couple of things, and I don't think it was straightly answered in the thread...which comprises now of how many friggin' pages?

    My head's going to explode (again) after I recuperated last night somewhat.

    Here are my two questions:

    Do the Blu Ray disks have Web integrated features like HD DVDs?

    Why was it advertised that Transformers was going to be on blu ray in some of the DVD previews I've seen? I mean, don't you think you owe it to those who have Blu Ray and want TF in Blu Ray...or at least in Europe where it's more popular....?? Am I making any sense?*shrugs*

    *opens door quietly and silently slips out of room*

  13. #263
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    A few things to set your perspective straight:

    The total sales gap between HD DVD and BD, across all markets since inception is less than 2M disks or so. That includes ALL markets, ALL studios and since inception!

    For some perspective. A mediocre DVD release sells well over 2M disks in the US alone in 1 week!
    Comparing BD/HD sales to DVD is as asinine as comparing DVD sales in 1998 to VHS.

    As the rest of your post is based on this completely irrelevant comparison, I'll end my post here.

  14. #264
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    Can you classify your reviews by genre? HD DVD seems to have more catalog titles aimed at a more mature audience, while BD seems to be targetting the PS3 crowd with more eye candy. The reason Disney rates high I am assuming is that because they have released mostly cartoons and newer titles. Whereas, Universal has released a lot of catalog. But when they have released newer titles like Hot Fuzz and King Kong, they are right up there with the best of the best!

    How does Fox get such a high score for audio when they have been using DTS-MA that NO BD player that I am aware of can decode What's up with that
    Clearly dts 1.5 Mbps is impressive. That's why Fox xhose dts-HD Master Audio, because they could give the best possible audio to those with optical and/or coaxial AND give lossless to those with the right set-ups, like the BD-P1400, Pioneer 95 or Panny DMP-BD30 hooked up to any of the new receivers that decode dts-MA from Yamaha, Marantz, Onkyo, Integra, Denon, Sony et al. Clearly there is much you're not aware of eh?

    It doesn't need to be divided up into genre or timeline. Universal release a lot of crappy catalogue titles, but that is their fault. Warner have released titles that are from long before my birthyear (1973) which have received 5/5 for PQ from various reviewers, like 1942's Casablanca.

  15. #265
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post
    dobyblue....

    You do realize you are quoting an article (refering to the then-proposed 45GB TL disc) from 2006. Long before ANY TL disc got brought up for approval by the DVD Forum.
    Yes thank you, but unless the working mechanics of the HD-A1 and HD-XA1 have changed since that time, I'm not sure how your point is pertinent.

  16. #266
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    12

    Default

    The facts are that Michael Bay is getting inside information from the industry that Microsoft is behind this mess with Paramount somehow, and that when he compares his movies in the two formats, they are better on Blu-ray.

    Blu-ray is the future of high-def, the writing is on the wall when you look at all stats and trends over time. It is only a matter of time, and I think that time will be sooner than Microsoft, Toshiba or HD-DVD supporters will like.

  17. #267
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee1983 View Post
    On a couple of things, and I don't think it was straightly answered in the thread...which comprises now of how many friggin' pages?
    My head's going to explode (again) after I recuperated last night somewhat.
    Here are my two questions:
    Do the Blu Ray disks have Web integrated features like HD DVDs?
    Why was it advertised that Transformers was going to be on blu ray in some of the DVD previews I've seen? I mean, don't you think you owe it to those who have Blu Ray and want TF in Blu Ray...or at least in Europe where it's more popular....?? Am I making any sense?*shrugs*
    *opens door quietly and silently slips out of room*
    Web enabled features are only found on a few select HD DVD's.
    Web enabled features will be found on Blu-ray Discs as of January 1st when Lions Gate releases "War" - but again, like HD DVD, they will only be on select discs.
    More studios will release content that has web enabled features throughout the year. Disney has announced a few titles too.
    Most announcements for software will take place January 7-10, 2008 at the annual CES show in Vegas.

    As for Transformers, many discs were already printed before Paramount made this sudden decision, so as a result you'll still see some discs with TF coming to Blu-ray and HD DVD on them, like Blades of Glory and Next.

  18. #268
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sphdle1 View Post
    The facts are that Michael Bay is getting inside information from the industry that Microsoft is behind this mess with Paramount somehow, and that when he compares his movies in the two formats, they are better on Blu-ray.

    Blu-ray is the future of high-def, the writing is on the wall when you look at all stats and trends over time. It is only a matter of time, and I think that time will be sooner than Microsoft, Toshiba or HD-DVD supporters will like.
    100% agreed.

    Studio support will have a major shift next year before the end of Summer.

    I believe Warner are going to drop HD DVD before the end of Summer 2008 and that means Warner Bros., HBO and New Line Cinema will be Blu-ray exclusive.

    (Please note, this is my personal opinion only)

  19. #269
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sphdle1 View Post
    Blu-ray is the future of high-def, the writing is on the wall when you look at all stats and trends over time. It is only a matter of time, and I think that time will be sooner than Microsoft, Toshiba or HD-DVD supporters will like.
    Agreed.
    Maybe even before January 2009.

  20. #270
    Senior Member Bumblebee1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    None ya :P
    Posts
    4,496

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    Web enabled features are only found on a few select HD DVD's.
    Web enabled features will be found on Blu-ray Discs as of January 1st when Lions Gate releases "War" - but again, like HD DVD, they will only be on select discs.
    More studios will release content that has web enabled features throughout the year. Disney has announced a few titles too.
    Most announcements for software will take place January 7-10, 2008 at the annual CES show in Vegas.

    As for Transformers, many discs were already printed before Paramount made this sudden decision, so as a result you'll still see some discs with TF coming to Blu-ray and HD DVD on them, like Blades of Glory and Next.
    Okay......thanks for answering my questions!

    Honestly, I don't care about all this techno mumbo jumbo because a) I don't understand it....and b) I JUST WANT TO ENJOY MY DAMN MOVIES AT HOME!!!

    Oh, and hear them too.

    I'm out of this techno room, there's too much testosterone in here.

  21. #271
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    100% agreed.

    Studio support will have a major shift next year before the end of Summer.

    I believe Warner are going to drop HD DVD before the end of Summer 2008 and that means Warner Bros., HBO and New Line Cinema will be Blu-ray exclusive.

    (Please note, this is my personal opinion only)
    Talk about spreading misinformation! We'll have to see which way the wind blows for Warner. So far they are not leaning BD. What are the obvious signs?

    1. BDA had a love-fest recently. Warner did not bother to send even the head of their HD DVD group, nor anyone of the rank of SVP. In contrast all other studios were represented by their studio heads.

    2. Warner had no presentation at the BDA love-fest.

    3. Dan Silverberg VP of HD Media Development said something about Warner being committed to BD. This was inferred as being Warner was leaning BD. Next day Warner corporate slapped Dan SIlverberg on the wrist and totally discounted that they were leaning to BD. Also said Q4 numbers were one factor for them.

    4. Since the start of 2007 it was widely publicized by the BDA that Warner would catch up their HD DVD backlog. Yet, Warner has relesed 3 exclusive titles on HD DVD for 2007 (Matrix Trilogy) and only 2 catch up titles. So the deficit grew. BDA put out comments associated to Dan Silverberg which said Warner was going to release a 'title wave' on BD. Never happened!

    5. Warner has teamed up with MSFT, Paramount and Universal to create an advanced interactivity group for HDM.

    6. Warner did not contribute to the 'I Do Blu' campaign...

    7. Warner CEO is on record saying they are not interested in game console sales and 300 sales were attributed mainly to game console owners and hence not their target market in the long term.

    None of this points to Warner as even remotely considering BD as a format of choice. They will be neutral as long as HD DVD establishes a sizeable standalone hardware market. Toshiba is getting there

    And you even work for a BDA company. You should know better

  22. #272
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gman View Post
    Man another drunk posting... Way to go Stinger.. Are you one of those people that drunk calls in the middle of the night as well! JK!! You bring up some good points.... but....

    Lets see, Sony was the only company backing UMD and HD-DVD is the only one backing HD-DVD via a hardware manufacture that is... Michael Bay is right on MS being involved. If it wasn't for Microsoft helping hold Toshiba pants up this war would be over with. Toshiba has a lot to loose and that is royalties on DVD, so there not giving up the sinking ship just yet. Also you must be delusional if you think all those manufacturers on the Blu-Ray side investing in all that hardware on some thing that is going to fail. The software sales speak for themselves, you guys have lost every Nielsen rankings since Blu-Rays been on board. Yeah I am sure this means nothing unless it was flip-flopped then it would be good information that you would use. Keep on
    throwing those weak left jabs, and expect a big right hook that you won't see coming.



    Week Ending Blu-Ray HD-DVD

    11/11 65% 35%
    11/04 71% 29%
    10/28 55% 45%
    10/21 51% 49%
    10/14 71% 29%
    10/07 68% 32%
    09/30 54% 46%
    09/23 63% 37%
    09/16 61% 39%
    09/09 60% 40%
    09/02 56% 44%
    08/26 68% 32%
    08/19 71% 29%
    08/12 66% 34%
    08/05 62% 38%
    07/29 66% 34%
    07/22 74% 26%
    07/15 61% 39%
    07/08 66% 34%
    07/01 65% 35%
    06/24 70% 30%
    06/17 64% 36%
    06/10 66% 34%
    06/03 61% 39%
    05/27 69% 31%
    05/20 58% 42%
    05/13 62% 38%
    05/06 60% 40%
    04/29 71% 29%
    04/22 52% 48%
    04/15 61% 39%
    04/08 62.4%37.6%

    These are the Nielsen numbers... And they are important to what
    goes on with studios and TV shows...
    __________________

    Nielsen VideoScan I will try to find the link.... Some one on YouTube put this up... LOL

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlOGSl13O1k

    I guess my point is we can bitch about this all we want, only time will tell, we call toss links up and try to prove or disprove what is going on, I just want my HD. I own both formats but I think(my opinion) of course that Blu-Ray is
    a better format.
    1. I'd give you some bonus points if you can put actual numbers next to those %. Like I said, the actual difference is less than 20K on most weeks.

    2. Problem with UMD was not how many companies were backing it. It was a movie format that relied on a game console to help it sell movies. Once the novelty died, once games became available.....people lost interest in the movies.

    3. As for hardware. I don't see anyone spending much money on BD hardware research. The current Panny has less features than the G1 Panny, the current Sammy BD player is lower end than the 1200 and the dual player is their high end player, Sony has 3 players (none of which has network connectivity, just like their G1 player, but plays CD finally). The new Pioneer looks exactly like their G1 with the same features!

    Philips has stopped making a player and Sharp released a player they announced 2 years ago!

    The fact that we have no 2.0 compatible players and not sure if the panny is 1.1 compatible yet, to me says that no one is doing any work on the hardware side. Looks like Sammy, LG, Denon etc are all betting on dual format players. Certainly if you combine these with the comments from the CEO of Sony, things are not as bullish for BD as the Neilsen % implies.

    How comprehensive is Neilsen in any case?

  23. #273
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee1983 View Post
    Okay......thanks for answering my questions!

    Honestly, I don't care about all this techno mumbo jumbo because a) I don't understand it....and b) I JUST WANT TO ENJOY MY DAMN MOVIES AT HOME!!!

    Oh, and hear them too.

    I'm out of this techno room, there's too much testosterone in here.
    There are NO web enable BD movies and we have no idea they will work in current players. It takes forever to load titles like PoTC with basic Java features. I cannot imagine web enabled features working on these players.

    HD DVD. Simply a better implementation of HD!

  24. #274
    Senior Member Bumblebee1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    None ya :P
    Posts
    4,496

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    There are NO web enable BD movies and we have no idea they will work in current players. It takes forever to load titles like PoTC with basic Java features. I cannot imagine web enabled features working on these players.

    HD DVD. Simply a better implementation of HD!
    Ahhh....and the plot thickens....once again......*fans self*

    Damnit, why do I always walk in here?

    *skulks out again*

    These guys are way too intelligent for me.

  25. #275
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    Can you classify your reviews by genre? HD DVD seems to have more catalog titles aimed at a more mature audience, while BD seems to be targetting the PS3 crowd with more eye candy. The reason Disney rates high I am assuming is that because they have released mostly cartoons and newer titles. Whereas, Universal has released a lot of catalog. But when they have released newer titles like Hot Fuzz and King Kong, they are right up there with the best of the best!

    How does Fox get such a high score for audio when they have been using DTS-MA that NO BD player that I am aware of can decode What's up with that
    As a member of the "PS3 crowd", I own, in no particular order, Volver, The Lives of Others, Full Metal Jacket, A Clockwork Orange, 2001, The Queen, Babel, Letters from Iwo Jima, Flags of Our Fathers, and Syriana to name a few. Eye candy indeed.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •