Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Bay HD comments

Quote Originally Posted by Venom View Post
    I believe Mr Bay should do a little more research on this format war before making these types of statements.
    Here are some facts that can be readily searched online.
    I think Bay didn't mean to say that MS is the source of all troubles (they are in the computer world... they make inferior products), but they have been prolonging this format war more than necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by nelson View Post
    As does Microsoft's arrogance and dirty tactics. Mind you MS has a history of stealing, bullying, and buying themselves out of problems.
    I agree with your statement. But in this case Microsoft would have no format war to throw gas on if Sony did not start the format war.

I will always want a hard copy of my movies on any format. I do not look forward to the day of digital downloads only.

Quote Originally Posted by Venom View Post
    The DVD Forum was a group of manufacturers that got together to pick the next Hi-Def video format. Sony ,Toshiba, Nec and many others were all members. They all agreed it was better to pick one format to not confuse consumers. When all the companies voted they chose the Toshiba/Nec format HD-DVD as the new Hi-Def format. It was done for many reasons. Most notably that picture quality and sound were basically identical. Both formats would have multiple layers so storage was not a problem. HDDVD's could be made at the same existing DVD plants with marginal changes to existing equipment. This was the deciding factor. Blu-Ray needed completely new plants. Sony was furious that Blu-Ray was not chosen and left the DVD Forum Group. They decided to launch Blu-Ray anyway and started the Blu-Ray Association.
    Sony has a history for this type of behavior. Sony does not want to pay anyone royalties unless it is absolutely necessary. Sony always wants their format and no one elses. We all remember VHS and Beta. VHS-C and 8MM, Mini Disc, UMD and the list goes on. Just how many Memory formats are they pushing right now??? Just recently Sony released the PS3 and the controllers had no rumble. Why? Because they were in a lawsuit with Immersion and did not want to pay royalties as Nintendo and Microsoft do. Sony made lame excuses to consumers that their new six axis controllers could not use rumble because it interfered with the Six Axis. Then the law suit ended in Immersions favor. Sony paid big and then Sony announced they would add rumble to the PS3 controllers. I guess it did not interfere with the Six Axis anymore. Funny though, They are using the original and oldest rumble technology from Immersion. It has the cheapest royalty.

Oe.

Read the "Origins of the Blu-ray vs HD-DVD war."

This article nails so good it's not even funny.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelbay
    What you don't understand is corporate politics. Microsoft wants both formats to fail so they can be heroes and make the world move to digital downloads. That is the dirty secret no one is talking about. That is why Microsoft is handing out $100 million dollar checks to studios just embrace the HD DVD and not the leading, and superior Blu Ray. They want confusion in the market until they perfect the digital downloads. Time will tell and you will see the truth.
    No disrespect intended, but.. are you for real? Have you honestly bought into the Bluray discussion point that MS is evil and is secretly trying to destroy HDM even though they have invested so MUCH in it?? And it has already been shown that MS did not pay Paramount or Dreamworks, yet you continue to repeat this mantra?

As does Microsoft's arrogance and dirty tactics. Mind you MS has a history of stealing, bullying, and buying themselves out of problems.
    It's really disappointing to see these sorts of chants from you and your webmaster, Michael.

It's the type of loathing that one hears from ardent fanboys, not from a significant member of the film community.

Here are my thoughts on this subject. There are about 2.7 million Blu-ray capable players in North America.

The BDA trumpets 2.7 million Blu-ray "players" sold
    http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/12/04...-players-sold/

About 2.35 million of those Blu-ray capable players (87%) are about to become movie download systems.

Sony readying PS3 movie download service
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=26534

A much smaller percentage of HD DVD capable systems can be used for movie downloads. HD DVD is dependent on discs for those players, but that's not really true with the vast majority of the Blu-ray installed base.

Is Sony serious about Blu-ray? Are they really looking for Blu-ray to be successful, or are they more interested in movie downloads?

Howard Stringer (CEO of Sony) Interview with Business Week
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...e#post12204586

It's a difficult... it's a difficult fight. There was a chance to integrate it before I became CEO. This is something I inherited. And I don't know what broke down. I wish I could go back there, because I heard it was all about saving face and losing face, and all the rest of it. But it's not a battle about the digital future. That's what's so strange about it. If it doesn't work out, that doesn't say very much about where we're all going. It's just... it's a scorecard: one-nothing or something. But it doesn't mean as much as all that. PlayStation 3 will still go on playing games. It would have to have a different disk drive. And that's about it really.

Quote Originally Posted by rdjam View Post

It's really disappointing to see these sorts of chants from you and your webmaster, Michael.
    So it's my imagination that Microsoft stole their OS from Apple and engaged in illegal and anti-competitive practices.

Yes, they've never done anything illegal.

I am in no way trying to say that Microsoft is a good guy in any way. I have read that article before.
    It is Sony that should have just swallowed hard and accepted the decision of the DVD Forum that they were a member of. It was many companies voting. Not just Microsoft.
    Sony wanted the PS3 as a trojan horse for Blu-Ray. They do not want to pay any royalties on the millions of PS3's that will be shipped. HDDVD and Blu-Ray are virtually indentical. Sony made the decision out of arrogance and greed. If they had agreed on HDDVD with the others than who knows if the final spec would have included Microsoft and Intels items. That would have been voted on also.

I am sure that Microsoft is doing everything in its power to try and destroy Blu-Ray. I am sure they are the ones backing HDDVD. I also believe Sony gave them this power in its decision to not back HDDVD and still introduce Blu-Ray. I would almost bet if Blu-Ray was not included in the PS3 that Microsoft might not be investing so much in this war.

In the end it is all of us that are losing. I would go out and buy a Hi-Def player now if they had only one format. I have a beautiful home theater with a Hi-Def projector and an 8' X 14' screen that is begging for Hi-Def discs.

I see two enemies in this war. Sony & Microsoft.

Unfortunately, it's not even close to being an accurate account of what really happened...

Nelson, you realize that Daniel Dilger loves everything Apple and hates everything that Microsoft is involved with, right? He knows very little about HDM and compiled much of his jaundiced post from Bill Hunt of Digital Bits (huge Blu-ray supporter) and a Blu-ray fan who reads his web site.

We might as well take "loose change" seriously.

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/about/

About

Iím Daniel Eran Dilger, and I write about technology, Apple, motorcycles and the place I call home: San Francisco. This is a work in progress. Iíve done RoughlyDrafted for a few years, but my site was so much work that it kept me from writing. Iím attempted to simplify things using iWeb, but outgrew the both the use of static pages and the bandwidth allowed by Apple when using .Mac.

I have both formats, and a Sony LCD, Sony Vaio with a Blu Ray burner, and honestly, they look and sound the same, to me. I was such a huge Sony supporter until recently. Blu Ray has been such a headache. I talk to Sony Style support regularly, and even have to take the computer into the store because of Blu Ray issues.

However, ZERO problems with my HD DVD. I am seriously on the verge of taking all my Sony products back or selling them. it shluld not be an isue if everything is new and Sony.

Anyway, doesn't matter, we can't control this, the retailers are pushing Blu Ray big time here in California. I hope they both lose and some 3rd format comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by wingzero View Post
    Microsoft doesn't really care about the XBox360. The XBox has been a dead duck investment since its inception, Microsoft lost billions on it for years. They killed the original XBox console with no care for their own customers, while Sony keeps pushing the now ancient PS2 and for years pushed the PS1 despite the release of the PS3. The XBox360 has been plagued by hardware defects and low quality manufacturing issues with an a pretty high failure rate, far higher than the competing Nintendo and Sony consoles.
    The XBox360 is just a way to distract Sony management and other competitors from Bill Gates true objectives, although Microsoft surely would enjoy to see Sony at failure and the PS3 to fail, but that it's not going to happen, fortunately for everyone excluding Gates.
    Mr.Bay analysis is correct but Bill Gates masterplan is even more complex and ambitious. Judging from Microsoft moves so far I'd say that what Gates wants to achieve probably includes using HD-DVD and VC-1 standard as trojan horses along with the whole DRM stuff and download services to gain control over one or two major studios... Microsoft has been trying to build up its own television network and to produce its own movies (like the Halo movie..).. So, what they want to achieve is to be able to buy a couple of studios at a cheap price up to the point that they could achieve that even if Sony wins the format war with Blu-Ray .. Bill Gates might easily decide to buy Universal thanks to his current deals with Toshiba and merge it into the Microsoft group.. and he might try to buy Paramount (buying Dreamworks it's highly unlikely since Mr.Spielberg is not going to let that happen I bet, although Bill Gates deep pockets can always change that with anyone and Gates knows it). Surely Gates would like to see Sony collapse sooner better than later for him and the Microsoft group, so that he could then start "helping" Sony like he did "help" Apple... which means ending up controlling the group or a large part of it and its management. That would ensure Gates a large control on both Hollywood, tv networks, the news and so on... Bill Gates wants to expand Microsoft even further because he knows that Sony is a problem for his own goals in the tv networks and movie production sectors and because Gates wants to divide and conquer in order to control everyone and create a monopoly, which is exactly what he has done with Microsoft.

You know what you people are a bunch of stupid player haters! I look at this forums you people is all over Michaely Bay's jock. Blu-ray, Blu-Ray! I mean really I got 34 Blu-Ray movies because of Buy 1 Get 1 Free Sales from Sony, Disney and Fox! Disney and Fox was $29.99 so Buy 1 Get 1 Free is like $15 each and $10 on Sony's. This is the ONLY way that that these HD Formats is going to move. Because these prices are like DVD Prices.

I don't care what Sony or Toshiba says because selling 1,000 here or there who got more sales here and there. The point is These formats is no where close to DVD Movie player penetration size or consumer spending averages. Some people can't even spell HD. If Michael bay wanted to make money with Transformers then he should have got Paramount to put it on iTunes at $14.99! With iPhones about to hit 2 Million Worldwide and Video nanos seliing like hotcakes there was profit there! Why Bay so busy making slandering remarks about Microsoft he should have been on his game and put it on Xbox Live Video Marketplace at $4 SD and $6 HD to view it for 24 hours I felt with 8 Million Xbox Live users worldwide and introduction to Canada and UK on December 11th there could have been maximum profit there. Actually if Bay had half a brain he realize Digital Downloads is actually better than Disc Medium because his studio wouldn't have less money to spend on disc replication and retail kits. Coming from me I took Audio/Video Production in my book a director is creating art and if Bay is a true artist then he should be smart enough to realize HD Video is just a one outlet for exhibiting his art. Michael you need to wake up and look at iTunes there is your demand there! Over 100 Million iPods are sold! I actually brought on iTunes Steve Jablonsky Score of Transformers if you got people who was really interested in your Music Score of your movie then why you think those people would not buy the movie. If you want your art out there then it should been maximized to the fullest potential. If your studio wanted to HD DVD ONLY then you should have concentraed to make it the best like you REALLY should added Dolby TrueHD 5.1 @ 6 Mbps. You live and learn but this remarks you need to get off that. You sound like not a intelligent person but instead a cocaine user getting high then jumping on the computer make absurd remarks. You not showing good composure or integrity. You got to respect the studio decision two you got to respect the people who is buying your art and really show them respect. Honestly you in a business a capitalistic business and if you wasn't you be giving Transformers away FREE! Other thing you got to respect Supply and Demand! Right now the people you insulting are the one with customers with the demand!
    iTunes: 188 Movies, 1,414 TV Shows

There is no point in complaining about Microsoft stealing their OS from Apple as Apple stole it aswell along with some of the hardware. Plus I bet half the uses on this post use Windows.

To Give you the truth I do not see why all companies don't back both formats,is it that much trouble to put the same compression from one disc to another?, it was easy enough done on both VHS and DVD, why can't they just do the same with this. that way everyone wins and everyone chooses either Blu-Ray or HD DVD and then everyone happy, then all companies will make money.

Thumbs down Old News

I read about this like 2 years ago. So this guy can read too. It's not "theory" it's business common sense. Of course Microsoft wants both to fail. They want to set digital as a standard for media content. Plus, there's no way that MS could let rival Sony put out a new HD format out there and not compete against them. Don't see any MS GreenRay in the future either.

P.S. noticed some OS flaming in here. OS X 4 LIFE!!!

...windows blows.
    Last edited by kill8joy; 12-05-2007 at 01:24 AM.

Default Do you think you know my film look?

Does anyone out here want to challenge what I feel suits my films better in terms of look. I see every frame of my films over a hundred times before it is ever released. I know the lighting conditions I shot it and the result on the DI. I know the range. I know what the final product should look like - Blu Ray suits my films better. But that said - I don't a care about this format war because I have both formats in my screening room - I'm just filling you in on what people deep in the film industry feel ultimately is going on -

Transformers looks great even in DVD!!

Quote Originally Posted by michaelbay View Post
    Does anyone out here want to challenge what I feel suits my films better in terms of look. I see every frame of my films over a hundred times before it is ever released. I know the lighting conditions I shot it and the result on the DI. I know the range. I know what the final product should look like - Blu Ray suits my films better. But that said - I don't a care about this format war because I have both formats in my screening room - I'm just filling you in on what people deep in the film industry feel ultimately is going on -

Mike I understand you on that. I'm just on audio as well as visual. That's why I'm kind of leaning towards Blu-Ray because of the 34 Blu-Ray titles I own. I decided on my choice not solely on HighDefdigest.com reviews but going to the theaters and listen as well as watch the movies. Fox and New Line Cinema are doing so far every movie with DTS-HD Master Audio plus Steven Spielberg films with DTS-HD Master Audio. Just the major problem is that the studios are split up! Hell Freezes Over before Universal Studios do Blu-Ray. Honestly I know that Universal was the major backer of DTS it would have been nice to see Universal movies with DTS-Master Audio. Sony and Warner Bros. is doing Dolby TrueHD and PCM Uncompressed Audio as well as Disney. Excellent Picture with Sound what people need to duplicate the theater experience at home. I don't know about Microsoft conspiracy theory. I don't know if this Paramount Dreamworks non Blu-ray position is temporary or pernament. If Temporary then you can easily do a Director's Cut of Transformers on Blu-Ray with hopefully Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD Master Audio or even PCM Uncompressed Audio. #1 I see that your artistic expression will be fulfilled #2 You can make your money back fast. #3 I don't know why the Hell you didn't do Director's Cut of Pearl Harbor on Blu-Ray yet. All I can say do the best you can do on the formats available. Honestly no matter what I said before you really are a good director. You have made very entertaining films throughout your career and yes I would like to have a format that exhibit the full potential of entertainment of your films. Think about it with all the bootlegers out there you manage to make a movie this year that made close to a billion dollars worldwide. To me you deserve award just for that because you got people out of the house to see your movie. 8.3 Million DVD Sales in North America the first week as well as 190,000 HD-DVD Sales. Yeah this is funny I don't have a PS3 yet. I'm still saving for one. The movies that was on sale I couldn't pass up on deal was too good. HD-DVD players such as the Xbox 360 HD DVD addon @ $179 are one cheaper players most consumers can afford. We still get 1080p output. PS3 and other Blu-Ray Players are at leat $399. That's alot for most people. This is one of the obstacles some people face.
    iTunes: 188 Movies, 1,414 TV Shows

Can't argue with that at all. If you have personally seen differences when your movies are on Blu-Ray then I understand your want of Blu-Ray.

As for having both formats... I buy and collect movies. No copies, No bootlegs. I try and support the artists whether it's games, movies or music. They are all official discs. One of these formats will die and then eventually dual format players will cease to exist. Then part of my collection will be useless. Beta was a better format. I watched it fade away and leave all those tape owners with movies that had no players. At least with DVD I feel we might have backwards compatibility for a while. Regardless I would be upgrading my collection to hi-def now if it was a one format race.

Transformers in Hi-def would have been absolutely stunning in my home theater. But for now I watched it on an upscaled DVD. And you are right it still looked incredible.

Michael Bay,

I too would like to see Transformers on Blu-ray with higher quality audio and would double dip for a BD version of the film. Even though the HD-DVD version looks good enough, I would like to see a re-encode of the film using a different codec at a higher bitrate than HD-DVD can handle. And include DTS-HDMA at its highest quality level. I would double dip on Transformers in a heartbeat and sell my HD-DVD version.

As for your comments about Microsoft, I have to agree with you on this one.
    The way you can help end this format war is to get your friend Stephen Spielberg on board and both of you together can make a difference if you push to get your movies released on Blu-ray. I'm praying that the Indiana Jones trilogy gets a Blu-ray release before the latest Indy 4 movie comes out.

I am glad that I have the opportunity to give you my opinion on this issue, and thank you Michael for being open to us about what you think about this issue.

Beadle wrote:

I am disappointed to hear that Mr. Bay has chosen to only place his films in HDTV format and not the UK leading Blu Ray format. Having seen the quality of both my personal opinion is that Blu Ray is better.
    Why have you chosen this format?
    I and my friends all own PS3's and itís easier and better to watch these films on our systems especially as the HDTV format players are too expensive here in the UK. I was looking forward to viewing the extra bonus material and quality that Blu Ray offers for the new release Transformers and I now canít do that. Only having this system means that I am NOT going to buy Transformers or any of your future releases from you Mr. Bay or give into buying the HDTV system. i was also shocked to hear your decision you made so abruptly on your website.

michaelbay wrote:

What you don't understand is corporate politics. Microsoft wants both formats to fail so they can be heroes and make the world move to digital downloads. That is the dirty secret no one is talking about. That is why Microsoft is handing out $100 million dollar checks to studios just embrace the HD DVD and not the leading, and superior Blu Ray. They want confusion in the market until they perfect the digital downloads. Time will tell and you will see the truth.

Bay
    michaelbay wrote:

I am pleased to hear that Mr. Bay has chosen to place his films on the HD DVD format, a format whose standalones outsell standalones from the rival Blu-Ray format and whose functionality is far in advance of any Blu-ray standalone player to date.

Having seen the quality of both formats, I have chosen to own both, primarily because I am more concerned about films than types of optical discs.

I have found that there is no discernable difference in either picture or sound between either format despite Blu-rayís generally higher prices.

Of course, unlike Mr. Bay, I have not had the benefit of seeing either format projected in a screening room.

I have seen both formats projected on screens of well over 100Ē on several occasions, without any discernable difference between the two. Which makes me wonder, if on the average sized screen (37Ē-60Ē), whether it is possible to see a difference between the formats even assuming that a difference existed in the first place.

To all intents and purposes both formats offer the same quality as far as average mainstream buyer is concerned.

With regard to functionality, HD DVD is (at this point in time) far ahead of the rival Blu-ray offering Picture in Picture as well as online connectivity for downloadable content.

This downloadable content is something that gives Ďadded valueí to optical disc media and is to be welcomed.

Those behind the production of the Transformers HD DVD are to be congratulated for their sterling efforts:

Web-enabled features found on Paramount's "Transformers" include downloadable Sector 7 Transmission videos, "Transformers" Profiler with still photography and bios, and "Intelligence Mode", a special data dashboard providing stats on the various Autobots and Decepticons, a GPS locator and factoids. The "Transformers" HD DVD also includes Menubots, which allow fans to customize their menus to a variety of themes, from Bumblebee to Megatron.

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...04715957&EDATE=

Although I love Blu-rays picture and sound quality, I am confused as to why the cheapest Blu-ray capable device (Sony PS3) is also the best in terms of response times and future proofing. There are many people who -for whatever reason- would rather own a standalone player than a games machine.

I feel sorry for those who have paid premium prices for their Blu-Ray standalones when they find that either the forthcoming interactive features of future (1.1) Blu-ray titles will either not work on their (1.0) players or they will be painfully slow to operate.

It is also less than ideal that Blu-ray companies have done little to tell consumers of these limitations. This to me smacks of a profits above honesty policy.

Ideally all studios should be neutral, giving the consumer choice of which format to buy. This hasnít happened, so itís a little pointless moaning about exclusivity, when both sides are guilty of this.

As regards downloadable films, I understand that Sony is devoting time, effort and large sums of money into creating their own download service.

Surely it is inevitable that in the future a download service will be here? We just have to make sure that it is complimentary to optical disc (of whatever colour) and does not supplant it.

Given my comments above, I am a little puzzled as to why Mr. Bay regards Blu-ray as Ďsuperiorí and why Microsoft is the villain of the piece?

Regardless, I would like to thank Mr. Bay for both a great film in Transformers and a superb disc in the HD-DVD version.

Forget formats Ė enjoy the films!

Your comments are not very convincing. Why exactly does Blu-ray suit your films better? It just makes you seem like another Sony fanboy, spewing misinformation and blindly stating Blu-ray is better without examples. Have any of your films been released on both formats for you to compare? If not, then how would you know which is better suited for your films? Both offer high resolution 1080p video and lossless audio. However HD DVD expands and offers exclusive PiP abilities, web connectivity and other interactive extras. Isn't that what Directors want? The best picture, sound AND immersive content extras? With your Transformers HD DVD, Paramount can offer exclusive videos and trailers for the second film. Blu-ray can't do that. Mike, you don't think that suits your films or are you still thinking of the archaic times of static discs that can't be updated? Enlighten us, because I don't see it.

At the High-Def Awards, the winner for Best Audio Quality is Transformers (HD DVD), Paramount Home Entertainment. How ironic is that?

I don't see how one is better suited for your films. You don't care about the format war, but you are becoming involved with your comments.

Fine, everything aside you personally prefer Blu-ray, but do you have to resort to denigrating HD DVD or the format and it's consumers? At least provide examples. I think you're being courted by Sony, because HD DVD is a great product and I wish you would give it a chance.
    Last edited by GoldenArm; 12-05-2007 at 07:23 AM.

nathan alexander

Hey GoldenArm... who exactly are you? You joined like two minutes ago, only to attack Michael Bay on this thread. Do you work for Microsoft? If not you should.
    If Bay says he prefers Blu Ray, who are you to come in here and question him? He doesn't have to justify his comments.

Quote Originally Posted by nathan alexander View Post
    Hey GoldenArm... who exactly are you? You joined like two minutes ago, only to attack Michael Bay on this thread. Do you work for Microsoft? If not you should.
    If Bay says he prefers Blu Ray, who are you to come in here and question him? He doesn't have to justify his comments.
    I asked for his reasoning, is that an attack on his character? Most people like to know why someone makes a choice. Of course he doesn't have to say, but without doing so just affirms the widely known fact that most BD only supporters can't identify why. All I ever hear is "It's better" but that doesn't say much.

Why are you so defensive? Are you his advocator? Mike has no problem speaking and making comments, so I don't see why you are speaking on his behalf. And yeah I just registered specifically to ask those questions, and you just registered a month ago. Don't pretend you've been here for two years.

No I don't work for Microsoft, I actually work for American Express. Anything else?

one thing that I just found out, for HD DVD is that even though its stored on the Disc at 24fps its flagged at 1080i60, Which means that it is converted in software mode, then your tv has to convert it back to 1080p..... unless you buy the higher end hd-dvd player that handles 1080p and ignores those flags. Blu-ray does not have any of these flags and lets the hardware do what is needed for you.
    So there is a difference in the encodings.

even though HD dvd is saying we have the cheapest players, they can't even do 1080p on the cheaper players.

Quote Originally Posted by space2001 View Post
    one thing that I just found out, for HD DVD is that even though its stored on the Disc at 24fps its flagged at 1080i60, Which means that it is converted in software mode, then your tv has to convert it back to 1080p..... unless you buy the higher end hd-dvd player that handles 1080p and ignores those flags. Blu-ray does not have any of these flags and lets the hardware do what is needed for you.
    So there is a difference in the encodings.

even though HD dvd is saying we have the cheapest players, they can't even do 1080p on the cheaper players.
    This is true. Currently there is only a difference in $50 between two formats in regards to players that support native 1080p24 output. pushing the limits of both formats is something that only one studio has tried. Rbfilms which I have quoted from an interview by the producer below..... Richard Casey has been the only person to maximize quality for both formats doing two seperate encodes. Here is an interview that is very interesting below..

http://www.hidefpreview.com/Breaking%20News.html

Exclusive Interview:

Richard J. Casey
    Executive Producer
    R&B Films, Ltd.

"9. In a thread at AVS Forum, you said you had some bandwidth space left over on the Blu-Ray version while you maxed out the HD-DVD versions bit rate, can you comment on the reasoning behind this?

Yes, you can do the math yourself by looking at the printed insert that comes with each disc. You will see we were at 29.64mbps total out of 30mbps available on HD-DVD. On the BD version, we used 44.44mbps out of 48mbps.

I negotiated the bit budget with Technicolor at the time we started production. Unlike DTS-HD which uses an exact bandwidth spec for encodes, DTS-HD-MA Lossless uses what it needs to achieve best results. Since we did not know at that time how much space the DTS-HD-MA audio encode would utilize, we settled on 37mbps for the video encode which left us more than enough headroom for whatever the DTS-HD-MA ended up being. However, looking back … I could have hit 40mbps on the Video Encode rate for this title. We will try to achieve this on our next release … although I don’t think it matters much once you get to this level."

nathan alexander

One question GoldenArm: WHY ARE YOU SO BOTHERED ABOUT THIS?!!

This whole debate is totally pointless. So if Michael Bay says he prefers Levi jeans, are we going to get a bunch of guys coming in here with mountains of statistics and info demanding to know why?
    I thought it was Religion that was the source of modern conflicts... LOL
    Last edited by nathan alexander; 12-05-2007 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Nelson, you realize that Daniel Dilger loves everything Apple and hates everything that Microsoft is involved with, right? He knows very little about HDM and compiled much of his jaundiced post from Bill Hunt of Digital Bits (huge Blu-ray supporter) and a Blu-ray fan who reads his web site.

We might as well take "loose change" seriously.

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/about/

About

Iím Daniel Eran Dilger, and I write about technology, Apple, motorcycles and the place I call home: San Francisco. This is a work in progress. Iíve done RoughlyDrafted for a few years, but my site was so much work that it kept me from writing. Iím attempted to simplify things using iWeb, but outgrew the both the use of static pages and the bandwidth allowed by Apple when using .Mac.
    And does the fact that he loves Apple products make his opinion less valid? He does stick with the facts.

The fact is that Blu-ray is the most technically superior format. But, that's just part of the story. VC-1 is a horrible codec with limited colorspace. I've encoded HD footage in both mpeg and VC-1 codec and the color space seems to be wider in MPEG.